• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

Teknoman

Rented 360 version to see if I wanted to snag the PC version. Having fun in SP, and the fact that the story is actually interesting/understandable is nice.

The vehicle sections so far are cool, and i'd like for them to be able to work some of those action packed sequences into MP somehow.

An Unreal Tournament style Assault mode/Halo Invasion would've bee nice for MP (large teams with evolving objectives).

Teknoman said:
An Unreal Tournament style Assault mode/Halo Invasion would've bee nice for MP (large teams with evolving objectives).
Agreed. We need more shit than setting bombs at crates or capping flags.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Last night I got a 13 kill streak with guns and knives alone. My god damn napalm and mortar kill streaks didn't kill a single dude :p

Lunchbox said:
do wager matches count towards stats? like k/d ratio?

i won a gun game with a low k/d ratio and nothing changed

If they don't, I'd be 100% more inclined to play those modes.

I know I shouldn't care about K/D, but my 1.7 is nice to have.

So playing MP still feels off. I decided to play the the offline mode with bots and it then feels right, especially with the hit detection (it's actually quite fun too) so it has to be lag.

What could be driving the lag up if the net code is the same as the past few CoD games?

Hanmik

I just don´t get how people are enjoying Multiplayer Black Ops on PS3 at the moment..?

The game is laggy as hell, hit-detection is broken, spawn sucks etc..? how can people enjoy that..?

I am really considering going back to MW2 untill they fix lag and Spawn issues..

M_A_C

mr stroke said:
anyone know a good PC server to play on? is there a GAF one?

every PC game I get into is silent with no tactics :(

This would be good info to know and add to the OP.

Spruchy said:
Best map.

I've officially given up on humanity

Hanmik said:
I just don´t get how people are enjoying Multiplayer Black Ops on PS3 at the moment..?

The game is laggy as hell, hit-detection is broken, spawn sucks etc..? how can people enjoy that..?

I am really considering going back to MW2 untill they fix lag and Spawn issues..

It was 10 times worse over the weekend seeing as there was nearly a million people playing, I gave up and started playing the campaign, like you said its just not fun at all getting screwed over at least 5 times a match, all my friends are saying they want to go back to MW2 so i'll follow the crowd.

SmokeMaxX

MarkMclovin said:
So playing MP still feels off. I decided to play the the offline mode with bots and it then feels right, especially with the hit detection (it's actually quite fun too) so it has to be lag.

What could be driving the lag up if the net code is the same as the past few CoD games?
Previous post indicated it probably has something to do with amount of friends you have.

Why won't my rendered clip upload?!? It's been sitting here uploading for awhile now, with no progress bar or countdown, just the message box saying Uploading Rendered Clip with the option to cancel. Hmm?

Edit: Well a screenshot I took yesterday was uploaded.

screenshot.54d10030cc86b1b9d07c2d08c28efa4a.288584861244_med.jpg

PBF038-Pyro_Billy.gif

nbraun80

AHappyPanda said:
If they don't, I'd be 100% more inclined to play those modes.

I know I shouldn't care about K/D, but my 1.7 is nice to have.
they don't, the one leader board is strictly for team deathmatch, just like the leaderboard that is strictly for domination and so on...

sw33tclyde said:
Why won't my rendered clip upload?!? It's been sitting here uploading for awhile now, with no progress bar or countdown, just the message box saying Uploading Rendered Clip with the option to cancel. Hmm?

It should say the percentage uploaded in the middle of the spinning circle. On the theater website my first upload didnt make it, but last night i linked to my youtube account, re-uploaded and this morning its appeared on the site & on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC4vjE24_no

kyo_daikun said:
I've officially given up on humanity

It was 10 times worse over the weekend seeing as there was nearly a million people playing, I gave up and started playing the campaign, like you said its just not fun at all getting screwed over at least 5 times a match, all my friends are saying they want to go back to MW2 so i'll follow the crowd.

I actually started playing Combat training and you know what? I like it! It's challenging, there's no campers-and something very strange happens-I don't have to empty an entire magazine into a stationary enemy to kill him!

LordAlu

SUPARSTARX said:
Nuketown awesome for grinding COD currency!
This is the reason everyone likes Nuketown, pretty much why everyone liked Shipment. It's a horrible, terrible map, but you can gain some mega XP/currency on it.

Still doesn't excuse the fact that it's rubbish. I just leave the lobby if it comes up. I'd rather enjoy playing the game instead of sit there and grind out levels/money.

SmokeMaxX

LordAlu said:
This is the reason everyone likes Nuketown, pretty much why everyone liked Shipment. It's a horrible, terrible map, but you can gain some mega XP/currency on it.

Still doesn't excuse the fact that it's rubbish. I just leave the lobby if it comes up. I'd rather enjoy playing the game instead of sit there and grind out levels/money.
Don't know why everyone says it's a bad map. It's actually a pretty good map. Any line of sight that you have leaves you vulnerable and there are several different positions to hold, none of which are amazingly safe. There are levels of verticality which are the points to hold, but they have several entrances each and are easily grenadable. There are also random crevices that people can hide in, if that's how they have to get their kills. However, these camping spots are not very deep so it's fairly easy to knife people in them.

I think it's at least an above-average map and definitely a fun change of pace.

EDIT: I like the feeling of never being safe and being forced to move around the map to get kills and avoid being killed. If you like to camp, Nuketown isn't the map for you.

SUPARSTARX

LordAlu said:

It's okay to grind out the cool stuff if you want it fast. The fun comes after all of that little bit of work.

Flunkie said:
Just played a hacked match with guys zipping around everywhere mega-fast, score limit was ridiculous (got to 7500 and the little meter in the bottom was like barely moved), you got an RC car with one kill, dogs with two, and a Huey with three.

Fucking insanity. It was more funny than anything though. Ended up getting disconnected about 15 minutes in. 360 btw.

Reminds me of the epic Rust Private Match Glitch clusterfucks with the infinite launcher rockets and grenades. From the bugs I've heard of being in Black Ops, it makes me wonder if Treyarch didn't use an unpatched version of MW2 as the base for it. Sounds like some of the old problems are reappearing in it. At least we don't have anything as bad as Javlindom show up yet.

Mik2121

I keep thinking that they should add the ship from the campaign (won't say what mission so it's not a spoiler). That ship is just so much better than wetwork from COD4.. it's way wider, seemed to have a few places to go around, etc..

LordAlu

SmokeMaxX said:
Don't know why everyone says it's a bad map. It's actually a pretty good map. Any line of sight that you have leaves you vulnerable and there are several different positions to hold, none of which are amazingly safe. There are levels of verticality which are the points to hold, but they have several entrances each and are easily grenadable. There are also random crevices that people can hide in, if that's how they have to get their kills. However, these camping spots are not very deep so it's fairly easy to knife people in them.

I think it's at least an above-average map and definitely a fun change of pace.

EDIT: I like the feeling of never being safe and being forced to move around the map to get kills and avoid being killed. If you like to camp, Nuketown isn't the map for you.
Personally (and this is my opinion), I find that every game played on Nuketown devolves into a clusterfuck of people running around all over the place and not trying to use any tactics whatsoever. A good map encourages the players to use every part of it, whether to outmanouever an enemy, get the drop on them, or to work with your teammates to push forward against the opposition.
Like Shipment, Nuketown doesn't do any of this. All that seems to work is a small square where each team can just run in and shoot at everyone. The problem with having nowhere to hold, or places that have several entrances and are easily grenadable, is that no-one will use them as there is no point, and everyone will just run in to a big firefight in the centre.
That's just my view from what I've played though. I'm sure against an organised team it would work very well, but I've never come up against properly organised opposition in Black Ops yet :/

Mik2121 said:
I keep thinking that they should add the ship from the campaign (won't say what mission so it's not a spoiler). That ship is just so much better than Shipment from COD4.. it's way wider, seemed to have a few places to go around, etc..
You mean Wetwork? The advantage of Wetwork was that it was relatively symmetrical so there was no advantage to either side, but from what I remember the ship in Black Ops wasn't so it might not be as well suited. I'd have to have a look at that level again :)

Mik2121

LordAlu said:
You mean Wetwork?
Yup, sorry. Got them mixed. Wetwork is such a horrible map.. :(
And Shipment isn't any better..

Edit - About your edit, yeah, it's not symmetrical but they could work on that easily.

LordAlu

Mik2121 said:
Yup, sorry. Got them mixed. Wetwork is such a horrible map.. :(
And Shipment isn't any better..

Edit - About your edit, yeah, it's not symmetrical but they could work on that easily.
Yeah, I've had a quick run through and it could work pretty well for some gametypes... I can see Search & Destroy being good fun on it with one or two tweaks.

Wetwork was an okay map, but unfortunately it didn't work for certain game types. Headquarters for example was pretty shocking on Wetwork due to the nature of a narrow map. One team could spawn at the other end of the map to a new HQ and the other right on top of it. For those sorts of gametypes a more squared off map works best.

I'm really getting in to this online. It's so much more fair to play that MW2. Now you can actually win on skill instead of winning by being the most obnoxious motherfucker on the planet.

I hate the amount of disconnects and host migrations... WTF is that all about. And when it disconnects i think you should GET the points you earned up to that point.

There is work to be done, but the basics are a lot nicer to play that in MF2 imo.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
It's pretty interesting to see all of the comments about how awesomely balanced and how it's more difficult to do well in than the previous, makes me wonder if people are playing the same game as I am.

McBacon said:
A little montage on WMD of how hilariously awesome the belly flop (+ no fall damage pro perk) is

Watch me
:lol

AC!D

Sorry for asking a really stupid question, I've managed to link my Callofduty.com account to YouTbe, but it doesn't seem possible to link an Xbox Live account with your callofduty.com account?

Anyone else had problems with this? A little help would be greatly appreciated.

Lince

Banned
-viper- said:
Help me please.

Why can't I join any of my UK friends in a party? Especially when I play Zombie Mode. It's really pissing me off. I can't invite anyone either.

What kind of router ports must I open? I have a Netgear router. Also, must the ports be opened on INBOUND SERVICES, OUTBOUND SERVICES, or both?

Please help!!!

I don't have the game but I suggest you trying to enable uPnP on your router if you haven't already, that should be opening/closing ports as needed. If you have uPnP enabled then maybe it's the party leader who hasn't?
If for some reason enabling uPnP fails (it shouldn't) Google how to DMZ your PS3 using a router. If your router doesn't support uPnP or DMZ then maybe it's time to buy a new one.

Hope it helps since no one bothered to reply you in the last 10 pages or so :lol

GeekyDad

Brian Fellows said:
...I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that I've been killed within a few steps of my respawn more times in the last week than in all 40 or so days of play I put into the previous 3 COD's.

Yeah, once or twice I was able to see dudes respawn in front of my eyes and nabbed them seconds flat. Not proud of it, but I take what I can get. It is a problem.

GeekyDad

Alienshogun said:
Looks like 2 hollow triangles, a white circle for background and a no symbol.

Not sure what you're trying to say with that reply, but I hope it's what I think you're saying. Let's not downplay the awesome power of speech.

SmokeMaxX

LordAlu said:
Personally (and this is my opinion), I find that every game played on Nuketown devolves into a clusterfuck of people running around all over the place and not trying to use any tactics whatsoever. A good map encourages the players to use every part of it, whether to outmanouever an enemy, get the drop on them, or to work with your teammates to push forward against the opposition.
Like Shipment, Nuketown doesn't do any of this. All that seems to work is a small square where each team can just run in and shoot at everyone. The problem with having nowhere to hold, or places that have several entrances and are easily grenadable, is that no-one will use them as there is no point, and everyone will just run in to a big firefight in the centre.
That's just my view from what I've played though. I'm sure against an organised team it would work very well, but I've never come up against properly organised opposition in Black Ops yet :/

You mean Wetwork? The advantage of Wetwork was that it was relatively symmetrical so there was no advantage to either side, but from what I remember the ship in Black Ops wasn't so it might not be as well suited. I'd have to have a look at that level again :)
Well, I'm not talking about high level clan play since you won't find that in a public list anyway, but it's pretty easy (once they get the spawns fixed) to hold a side. If you go to the van, you can peer through it and get a clear line of sight to the middle of the map. Your buddies can take the left and right sides and get a clear line of sight down those areas. Well, one side is obstructed, but you can pick off anyone coming up that way. When you get upstairs, you have an advantage and can really pick off anyone below you or just take out anyone across from you. When they fix the spawns, you can just hold a side and noone will spawn behind you.

Of course, that's just what you COULD do in a team function. My personal preference is have my random teammates distract the enemy and rush down the center with an SMG. Cut through the house, go up the stairs and take everyone out in the house. From there, I go down the back steps, take everyone out in the back, and then proceed to everyone at the mid line. It's actually quite futile to meet up at the center because you get picked off pretty easily. Best thing to do is rush through the center (taking cover and picking off enemies when necessary) and getting kills that way. IMO anyway.

Also, maps don't need to be symmetrical to be equal for both teams.

Kyoufu

It is only more difficult to do well if you were a scrub who relied on killstreaks. Now if you can't get the good killstreaks often your score won't be as high as it used to be.

I like this change, but I used to like being able to go from an airstrike to a chopper lol :(

My clip finally uploaded, took hours. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ1RW5iRWN4 I WAS SWEATING after that game. Had a few chances to get a Sentry Gun destroyed throughout but after much failure I finally did it at 199 points in Domination :D

-viper-

Banned
Lince said:
I don't have the game but I suggest you trying to enable uPnP on your router if you haven't already, that should be opening/closing ports as needed. If you have uPnP enabled then maybe it's the party leader who hasn't?
If for some reason enabling uPnP fails (it shouldn't) Google how to DMZ your PS3 using a router. If your router doesn't support uPnP or DMZ then maybe it's time to buy a new one.

Hope it helps since no one bothered to reply you in the last 10 pages or so :lol
uPnP is enabled. Same problem occurs.

Does putting the PS3 in a DMZ post any kind of threat to my PC network? Sounds like it opens all ports.

Top Bottom