• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

AC!D

Guys, is it possible to set custom matches to pistols/xweapon only? It seems you can adjust the classes but not limit each player to only one weapon? :/

Weenerz

Banned
I've been wasting my cod bucks on everything just to see the classified weapons. Doubt I will be prestiging, so I'll just continue to unlock stuff till Cataclysm comes out.

SpacLock

Does anyone know of a site where I can order this game with Paypal? I asked about it earlier in this thread, but it was buried before I received an answer. Any reliable sites out there?

JB1981

mjc said:
By taking out all the ridiculous streaks/equipment for Black Ops, Treyarch wins. MW2 was infuriating.

Infuriating to some, maybe? Decidedly different? Yes. Wildly successful and crazy addicting despite some balancing issues? Yes.

mjc said:
By taking out all the ridiculous streaks/equipment for Black Ops, Treyarch wins. MW2 was infuriating.

MW2 was infuriating if you didn't bother to figure it out - both the maps and the perks and the way it balances itself out. Most people are finally realizing that they need to slow down to do good. You're one game too late with that realization, folks.

Considering BO has the same or worse ridiculous streaks that nobody can counter because few have and will ever have Ghost Pro (which wasn't needed in MW2), I don't see your point. Not only that, but thanks to Hardline Pro, I have a pretty good chance at shoving a 7+ killstreak down your throat in 3 kills. If I manage a whopping 4 kills, I practically got a emergency care drop - a 9 killstreak in 4 kills. I don't need the kilstreaks to stack anymore. If my teammates play along, then you're tripled screwed.

If you had issues with streaks in mw2, you use non-pro cold-blooded. Done. Issue over. Wow, that was rough. And if you wanted to, you could double that with rockets in the same class. In BO, you will have issues unless you grind and do not prestige. I'm at level 40 and I still don't have ghost pro and I've been intentionally trying to get it for days now. To get it requires my enemies to use Spy Planes for the most part, and most are not interested.
In MW2, if you were getting killsteaked, it's cause you and your team let it happen. They let that harrier kill you. In BO, you're screwed. You gotta hope your enemy doesn't know what he's doing and let's you hit him.

Of course, to acknowledge any of this requires thought. The same thought that was required to adapt to MW2's style of play - which was actually different and not the same old game re-labeled.

And the motion sensor and it's range makes your equipment comment just as ridiculous. It's the single most effective piece of equipment this game has to offer in this series history. And, guess what - the counter is another hard to get pro-perk that few will have in this game. The motion sensor ensures that I can get flanked by 1 in 100 people I run into. And I don't have to sacrifice my nade both lethal and tactical. Don't need to sacrifice my attachment - a perk, my guns...nothing.

yoopoo

Banned
Lag issue getting too much here, I have Slight of Hand Pro and I keep loosing one on one battles...that never happened in MW2. I shoot, I see hit markers, I hear the sound of bullet hitting but the kill cam shows a completely scenario.

Mr. B Natural said:
MW2 was infuriating if you didn't bother to figure it out - both the maps and the perks and the way it balances itself out. Most people are finally realizing that they need to slow down to do good. You're one game too late with that realization, folks.

Considering BO has the same or worse ridiculous streaks that nobody can counter because few have and will ever have Ghost Pro (which wasn't needed in MW2), I don't see your point. Not only that, but thanks to Hardline Pro, I have a pretty good chance at shoving a 7+ killstreak down your throat in 3 kills. If I manage a whopping 4 kills, I practically got a emergency care drop - a 9 killstreak in 4 kills. I don't need the kilstreaks to stack anymore. If my teammates play along, then you're tripled screwed.

If you had issues with streaks in mw2, you use non-pro cold-blooded. Done. Issue over. Wow, that was rough. And if you wanted to, you could double that with rockets in the same class. In BO, you will have issues unless you grind and do not prestige. I'm at level 40 and I still don't have ghost pro and I've been intentionally trying to get it for days now. To get it requires my enemies to use Spy Planes for the most part, and most are not interested.
In MW2, if you were getting killsteaked, it's cause you and your team let it happen. They let that harrier kill you. In BO, you're screwed. You gotta hope your enemy doesn't know what he's doing and let's you hit him.

Of course, to acknowledge any of this requires thought. The same thought that was required to adapt to MW2's style of play - which was actually different and not the same old game re-labeled.

And the motion sensor and it's range makes your equipment comment just as ridiculous. It's the single most effective piece of equipment this game has to offer in this series history. And, guess what - the counter is another hard to get pro-perk that few will have in this game. The motion sensor ensures that I can get flanked by 1 in 100 people I run into. And I don't have to sacrifice my nade both lethal and tactical. Don't need to sacrifice my attachment - a perk, my guns...nothing.

As more sentry guns pop up it will be easier to get ghost pro. I've destroyed 3 now at lvl 47, and the last one I finally actually had ghost on.

Hacker pro is pretty easy. Destroy some bright red dots, plant lots of claymores and use a jammer or motion sensor for a while.

I agree the huey was a pain without ghost pro, but between my 4 kill SAM turret streak and ghost pro they last until the announcer finishes announcing them for me. Be a team player, start the match hardline 3 kills for SAM crate and keep it in your pocket just in case.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Weenerz said:
Doesn't steam let you use paypal?
It does, but I wouldn't recommend it as Paypal is shit and has caused charge-backs on Steam without the user knowing, leading to their account/all games being frozen. If you must go through paypal, buy it on D2D (which then plugs into Steam) so that your Steam account isn't fucked temporarily if Paypal decides to fuck you.

SpacLock

LordAlu said:
It does, but it might not be for PC SpacLock wants it for?

eStarLand will take PayPal for pretty much anything for US/Canada.

Yeah, I'm picking it up for 360. The only reason I ask about Paypal is because I have money sitting in my account that I'd like to throw on this game. I'll check out estarland.com.

Mr. B Natural said:

What he said. MW2 wasn't frustrating if you rolled with the punches and learned what worked. Unfortunately most people I saw threw themselves into the enemy position over and over like Lemmings or ran around in the open w/out Cold Blooded and bitched about being killed by air support instead of pulling out a launcher.

Based of the good reviews and the word of mouth of a friend I went and picked this up. I've previously played Treyarch games and disliked them but figured from the videos that this one was up to snuff.

I'm not impressed. The character in singleplayer moves more slowly and the guns don't feel like they impact enemies as they should. Generally I don't know if a burst of gunfire has killed someone or not leading to a lot of secondary spraying people that are already dead.

Second while the game features some cool moments / scenarios, I find they fall back on the endless enemy respawn far to often and level design is pretty terrible. It so far feels very much like the Fevela mission from MW2 where people may shoot from any angle or the level design is sufficiently simple that they just throw wave after wave after wave after wave at you from the front.

In short it feels both frustrating and cheap. Also I played the single player for a while then switched to MW2 multiplayed and I honestly think that MW2 multi looks better then BO singleplayer.

So yeah I hope things get better but I'm feeling a bit hoodwinked at the moment.

mjc said:

Pretty much. Black Ops certainly has its issues but it is nowhere close to as being as broken as MW2 was.

Also, motherFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK this game on Veteran. Just took me nearly 3 goddamn HOURS to get past that room/tunnel checkpoint in the sabotage mission. Infinitely respawning enemies with pin point accuracy the very second they see you, teammates who were beyond worthless, enemies spawning BEHIND you... Treyarch games blow on Veteran. Are there any areas of the game worse than this one? Holy shit. Almost had an aneurysm.

I'm scared :lol . I will be capable of prestiging tonight and I really don't want to because some of the pro perks were such a bitch to get. I'm dreading this, what do you get if you prestige in this game, is it the same as MW2 where you just get name plates?

Genesis Knight said:
What he said. MW2 wasn't frustrating if you rolled with the punches and learned what worked. Unfortunately most people I saw threw themselves into the enemy position over and over like Lemmings or ran around in the open w/out Cold Blooded and bitched about being killed by air support instead of pulling out a launcher.

MW2 was frustrating because of trash like OMA/Danger Close and Commando Knife Runners, killstreaks were only part of the equation.

itsnervedamage said:
As more sentry guns pop up it will be easier to get ghost pro. I've destroyed 3 now at lvl 47, and the last one I finally actually had ghost on.

Hacker pro is pretty easy. Destroy some bright red dots, plant lots of claymores and use a jammer or motion sensor for a while.

I agree the huey was a pain without ghost pro, but between my 4 kill SAM turret streak and ghost pro they last until the announcer finishes announcing them for me. Be a team player, start the match hardline 3 kills for SAM crate and keep it in your pocket just in case.

You shouldn't have to grind and hope to balance the game out. Such a game isn't balanced...especially in a game that has a reset-button once you reach the top.

MW2 had it right - the pro in pro-perks should be minor. Cold-blooded pro for instance removed the red-text from your name. Nice to have, but not essential for the perk to function as designed. They also shouldn't be a pain in the ass. It's like Treyarch looked at sit-rep pro as the foundation for pro-perks and that's just wrong.

Grinding tactical mask for example so it actually comes in handy once in a while isn't fun and isn't balanced.

The Sam turret is a nice addition to the game. I think it's a cool idea that could have been useful in MW2 for sure. But it's not a solution to the problem. I should be able to change classes at level 10 to 20 and mitigate the killstreak if I wish. I shouldn't have to pull 4 kills out of my ass to prevent me from getting killed over and over again. Doesn't work like that. Doesn't even make sense. If anything, from what I've seen, the Sam Turret is a great way to ensure that the game will remain lop-sided no matter how hard the losing team tries. The poor team that doesn't have enough space to call in a care package with a sam turret finally gathers a uav and it gets taken down instantly by the team that had plenty of breathing room for a care package and plenty of killstreaks to blow one on a SAM.

Let me put it as simple as I can - games are still ending 3000 to 7500. Domination games are still ending 50 to 200. BO didn't fix shit when it comes to fairness. If you want fairness, COD is not your thing and neither is BO.

Tylahedras said:
Based of the good reviews and the word of mouth of a friend I went and picked this up. I've previously played Treyarch games and disliked them but figured from the videos that this one was up to snuff.

I'm not impressed. The character in singleplayer moves more slowly and the guns don't feel like they impact enemies as they should. Generally I don't know if a burst of gunfire has killed someone or not leading to a lot of secondary spraying people that are already dead.

Second while the game features some cool moments / scenarios, I find they fall back on the endless enemy respawn far to often and level design is pretty terrible. It so far feels very much like the Fevela mission from MW2 where people may shoot from any angle or the level design is sufficiently simple that they just throw wave after wave after wave after wave at you from the front.

In short it feels both frustrating and cheap. Also I played the single player for a while then switched to MW2 multiplayed and I honestly think that MW2 multi looks better then BO singleplayer.

So yeah I hope things get better but I'm feeling a bit hoodwinked at the moment.

It's like you just wrote up my thoughts on MW2's SP campaign.

Genesis Knight said:
What you guys call balance is hilarious.

Animator

Genesis Knight said:

This is fucking bullshit. I cant believe you guys are saying this with a straight face and defending a pos broken game where you can noobtube any capture point over and over from your spawn, danger close with no way to counter it, warp knife teleport kills from 10 feet away, glitchers up the ass, you name it mw2 has got it except good gameplay.

The best thing treyarch has done is to drop stopping power from the game and nerf noobtubes.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Tylahedras said:
At BO's best, no. At the ugliest moments in SP (which there are whole levels that don't look very good) that is completely true. MW2 was so much more consistent on every area visually. It makes me sad that they weren't working off the MW2 engine revision :(.

I feel like I was playing a different game from some of you people. I was fourth prestige in MW2 so I had a good number of hours invested. Before I retired the game to catch up on my single player campaigns I was running 25-5 as my average game on team deathmatch. I did that running an RPD or AUG exclusively - just a straight assault rifle class with none of the stacked bullshit loadouts you guys are always ranting about. Sure I got fucked over a lot by lag and broken mechanics but goddamn people if someone like me can get games like that consistently then you can too.

I didn't say MW2 was balanced or fair, I said you could deal with it and play well despite the exploiters.

Animator said:
This is fucking bullshit. I cant believe you guys are saying this with a straight face and defending a pos broken game where you can noobtube any capture point over and over from your spawn, danger close with no way to counter it, warp knife teleport kills from 10 feet away, glitchers up the ass, you name it mw2 has got it except good gameplay.

The best thing treyarch has done is to drop stopping power from the game and nerf noobtubes.

Noobtubes was an issue in mw2 but was counterable if you position yourself properly. If you got killed by a knifer, then you're an idiot who doesn't listen for footsteps or thinks his AR is a shotgun or got out positioned or was just running and gunning and ran into someone that had their classes properly alligned for running and gunning. Glitches were a problem but they were fixed...some of which came back for BO. OMA in MW2 was the nade spam of COD4. It was counterable and mostly avoidable, but you had to use a braincell. Too much to ask.

In MW2 I can use every class in the game and be effective. BO is smgs and ars...and that's it. If you think that's your definition of balanced when half of the gun classes are useless, then more power to you. You got your biases in a bunch.

Genesis Knight said:
I feel like I was playing a different game from some of you people. I was fourth prestige in MW2 so I had a good number of hours invested. Before I retired the game to catch up on my single player campaigns I was running 25-5 as my average game on team deathmatch. I did that running an RPD or AUG exclusively - just a straight assault rifle class with none of the stacked bullshit loadouts you guys are always ranting about. Sure I got fucked over a lot by lag and broken mechanics but goddamn people if someone like me can get games like that consistently then you can too.

I didn't say MW2 was balanced or fair, I said you could deal with it and play well despite the exploiters.
Just got major nostalgia for the RPD. Wish it was in Black Ops so badly. I loved that thing in MW2.

Dresden

Genesis Knight said:

RPD was a pretty powerful gun. Loved that thing to bits, then I moved over to the L86 for the sex fire rate.

Treyarch just isn't talented as IW. Their solution to imbalance issues was to remove the issue entirely--hence, broken sniping. CoD as a franchise is going to die soon, especially if Respawn delivers a knockout.

backflip10019 said:
Just got major nostalgia for the RPD. Wish it was in Black Ops so badly. I loved that thing in MW2.

Yeah, I was a big fan. Felt like a badass when you emptied that belt, even if you didn't get a kill. :lol Of course it's probably just as well that it's not in BO because I would cry, since LMGs are borderline useless (as are snipers and shotties, mostly).

-viper-

Banned
Genesis Knight said:
Yeah, I was a big fan. Felt like a badass when you emptied that belt, even if you didn't get a kill. :lol Of course it's probably just as well that it's not in BO because I would cry, since LMGs are borderline useless (as are snipers and shotties, mostly).
Useless? LMGs are still pretty powerful, as are shotguns which kill in a shot.

Dresden said:
Treyarch just isn't talented as IW. Their solution to imbalance issues was to remove the issue entirely--hence, broken sniping. CoD as a franchise is going to die soon, especially if Respawn delivers a knockout.
I really don't believe this at all. As long as the product still has the "Call of Duty" name attached to it, it will do incredibly well. There's no way that Activision would let it die out. Besides, the Respawn guys probably won't get anything out for two years or so (that is, if they want to release a quality product) and by then, I'm sure that there will be another CoD game out or on its way out.

RedStep

Bumblebeetuna said:
Pretty much. Black Ops certainly has its issues but it is nowhere close to as being as broken as MW2 was.

Also, motherFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK this game on Veteran. Just took me nearly 3 goddamn HOURS to get past that room/tunnel checkpoint in the sabotage mission. Infinitely respawning enemies with pin point accuracy the very second they see you, teammates who were beyond worthless, enemies spawning BEHIND you... Treyarch games blow on Veteran. Are there any areas of the game worse than this one? Holy shit. Almost had an aneurysm.

If you're talking about where I think you are (go down the tunnel, clear out the lab, then clear out the hallway), that was probably the hardest for me. Bad design, plus two battles with no checkpoint between (and respawns on the second one). That and the hill in Vietnam were the two points where I almost quit.

The last few missions were the easiest, blew right through them.

Lothars

Confidence Man said:
Black Ops destroys MW2. The latter was probably 80% tubing, killstreaking, teleport knifing bullshit. Good riddance Infinity Ward.

I sorta agree but I don't think it's that much of a difference, Black ops has tons of problems and I don't have any faith in Treyarch to fix the issues, but Black Ops isn't as good as COD4 at the moment.

Stallion Free said:
At BO's best, no. At the ugliest moments in SP (which there are whole levels that don't look very good) that is completely true. MW2 was so much more consistent on every area visually. It makes me sad that they weren't working off the MW2 engine revision :(.

Maybe I should take a step back because it's not like this game is really bad or anything. At worst it's mediocre but it does have some great moments. I think that some of the scripted stuff like the minecart at the prison is as good as MW2, but there's not enough of it and it feels imbalanced with what I feel are the games short comings.

Also it seems like the openning to the levels usually feature some great very rich visuals but then when you get into the levels themselves it will be repetitive and sometimes ugly.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
MW2/BO are much better balanced for hardcore. It's so much harder to camp and build killstreaks and knifing is pretty much guaranteed death if the person is facing you.

This is on the PC of course.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I've never had a problem with any of the stuff people bitch about when it comes to MW2. It all just seemed so rare to me. Let the scrubs use their bullshit tactics. Its not going to help them. In the end I'm still going 20-5 and they'll be 10-15.

And I agree with Mr B Natural when it comes to the shitty way they've done Ghost.

I'm still enjoying Black Ops overall though.......when my connection is decent that is. :D

KJTB

Sticks and Stones is so awesome, I love it :D

Nothing more intense than being in first place with 30 seconds left, praying that you won't get tomahawked haha

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Tylahedras said:
Maybe I should take a step back because it's not like this game is really bad or anything. At worst it's mediocre but it does have some great moments. I think that some of the scripted stuff like the minecart at the prison is as good as MW2, but there's not enough of it and it feels imbalanced with what I feel are the games short comings.

Also it seems like the openning to the levels usually feature some great very rich visuals but then when you get into the levels themselves it will be repetitive and sometimes ugly.
Yeah, the engine just falls apart completely in the helicopter level. Holy shit the engine is not capable of doing that scale while still looking good. The tech department should have laid down some law with some of the scale shit. I'd rather have tighter environments that look significantly better. Hue City and the rainy city level were two of my fav levels because of that.

NinjaKixx

Banned
Why do people love the removal of stopping power? Now, success is dependent solely on connection speed. I was playing a round and hit a dude atleast 9 times (Swear to God) and he survived. I checked the replay in the theater because I was going to post the ridiculousness to see that in the replay I wasn't even hitting the guy. If it is that bad for me on a 25MB connection I cant imagine how guys on lower speeds are doing.

-viper- said:
Useless? LMGs are still pretty powerful, as are shotguns which kill in a shot.

I think it's less that they're useless and more that they aren't really better at anything. Why run an LMG when you can run an assault rifle that gives you more flexibility and does essentially the same thing with less recoil, and why run a shotty when you can run an smg that is basically as good and can double as a cheap AR?

Then again, in BO why run anything except smg? :lol

NinjaKixx said:
Why do people love the removal of stopping power? Now, success is dependent solely on connection speed. I was playing a round and hit a dude atleast 9 times (Swear to God) and he survived. I checked the replay in the theater because I was going to post the ridiculousness to see that in the replay I wasn't even hitting the guy. If it is that bad for me on a 25MB connection I cant imagine how guys on lower speeds are doing.
90% of people were running SP builds on MW2, so "success" hasn't changed one bit. The only difference now is that class-making isn't "use stopping power" or "niche build" anymore.

Cosmo Clock 21 said:
90% of people were running SP builds on MW2, so "success" hasn't changed one bit. The only difference now is that class-making isn't "use stopping power" or "niche build" anymore.

I'm glad stopping power, juggernaut, and that stuff is gone now because it frees me up to run more interesting perks. But yeah, it nerfs snipers as has been said before.

Hmmm, so silencers: are they worth using on an SMG class? I'm currently running one with my AK47u, but it takes a lot of bullets to take someone down (I'm talking sometimes like 5-7). Seems to me that while they might hide where you are on the map, the decrease in range/damage that they do might make them not really worth using, especially on an SMG class. Thoughts?

Mr. B Natural said:
Noobtubes was an issue in mw2 but was counterable if you position yourself properly. If you got killed by a knifer, then you're an idiot who doesn't listen for footsteps or thinks his AR is a shotgun or got out positioned or was just running and gunning and ran into someone that had their classes properly alligned for running and gunning. Glitches were a problem but they were fixed...some of which came back for BO. OMA in MW2 was the nade spam of COD4. It was counterable and mostly avoidable, but you had to use a braincell. Too much to ask.

In MW2 I can use every class in the game and be effective. BO is smgs and ars...and that's it. If you think that's your definition of balanced when half of the gun classes are useless, then more power to you. You got your biases in a bunch.

I find it interesting that this post can be neatly surmmised as 'deal with it'. More so because you didn't find these gaping errors in design and balance to be that troubling compared to the clearly unforgiveable design decision of having to kill a sentry turret to gain Ghost pro or some meta objective akin to this.

Still worse, you winge about having to kill someone 4 times to gain a SAM turret in a tight spot and conveniently neglect the fact that launchers are still in the game and are as effective as ever.

I'll happily concede to your point on sniper rifles, they're nerfed and wrongly so. But shotguns are very useful (and not to mention fun)) on certain maps, as are LMGs. I've also not come across this so-called incredible motion sensor that makes you impervious to attack. It seems no-one but you has realised quite how amazing it is. I look forward going 30-1 with it.

I'm also not ignorant to the fact that you've been persistently whinging about many of the game's design decisions in this thread since before it was even released. I can't help but think that you're determined not to like the game. That's fine, but feel free not to adorn your thoughts on the game with disingenuous and biased analysis of its design when comparing it to MW2, please.

'Deal with it' indeed.

slamskank

If MW2 had dedicated servers I would still be playing it, simply because everything about it (visuals, maps, you name it) was better except for the killstreaks and perk nonsense that BO did such a good job toning down. Dedicated servers would have meant noob tube = kick, and hackers could have been dealt with... boom, game fixed right there almost. With that said BO is a much better game simply because they weren't total idiots about dedicated servers.

VaLiancY

Fucking Tomahawks. You sit comfortably in the top three and you move just for a second and you get cold steel in your back. I hope people aren't looking over wager matches, it's free for all but very refreshing and fun.

Top Bottom