• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
bolbronx said:
My setup is like this:

fa28503b.jpg

Maybe i should try switching the Grenade & Melee.

I already know i'm gonna melee the hell out nothing, and be throwing grenades when i run into people
Exactly how I have mine.

J-Rzez

MarshMellow96 said:
Ergh. Had the first taste of chopper gunner spawn killing on Nuketown. Fucking awful.

Also - what is the best way to deal with the whole 'I can only see the head of the guy who just killed me, but when I see his killcam he's got his gun over the box' thingy?

What? The wonky spawn system, killstreak spawn raping, and "I only saw the top of their helmet" things are part of the CoD series charm.

Najaf

NinjaKixx said:
Has anyone seen a difference in red dot and reflex other than aesthetics?

Well, the reflex covers up more of your screen real estate and you can't see through the reticle when not aiming down the sight. These two things, however small, limit your ability to see and therefor make it a poor choice. People who choose it either don't recognize this trade off or don't care about taking a slight handicap into every match.

george_us

Despite a couple of frustrating parts and some technical issues, I think this is the best CoD campaign yet. The missions are a lot more interesting than the ones in Modern Warfare and Modern Warfar 2.

J-Rzez said:
What? The wonky spawn system, killstreak spawn raping, and "I only saw the top of their helmet" things are part of the CoD series charm.

Ololol sarcasm.. :p

I suppose the killstreak killing works both ways.

The top of their helmet thing is pretty daft though...

-viper-

Banned
Najaf said:
Well, the reflex covers up more of your screen real estate and you can't see through the reticle when not aiming down the sight. These two things, however small, limit your ability to see and therefor make it a poor choice. People who choose it either don't recognize this trade off or don't care about taking a slight handicap into every match.
Is using a red dot sight necessary? Most of the sights are really good in the game.

Circle T

Cutwolf said:
With Hacker Pro, how do you change your care package if you're not happy with it?
Hardline Pro is the one that lets you reroll the drop. You double-tap the button (X on 360) before you hold it to capture.

Hacker Pro is the one that lets you sabotage an enemy drop.

*Edit* Does anyone know if Hacker Pro let you sabotage ANY drop, like the Hardline Pro reroll, or does it only work on actual Care Packages??

Najaf

-viper- said:
Is using a red dot sight necessary? Most of the sights are really good in the game.

It's all personal preference of course. I don't use a sight on most of my loadouts. The Galil, Fal, and Commando are my go to weapons and I don't have a need for optics with them. With the m14, I roll with a red dot though. I infinitely prefer extended mags to a red dot, unless the sights are poor. And, as you said, most sights are just fine in this game.

(This is partially because Treyarch ignored real world sights on many weapons, and replaced them with modern versions that did not exist during the time. The Fal in particular has notoriously terrible iron sights IRL. I don't blame them one bit either.)

Cutwolf

Circle T said:
Hardline Pro is the one that lets you reroll the drop. You double-tap the button (X on 360) before you hold it to capture.

Ah, my mistake. TY

J-Rzez

MarshMellow96 said:
Ololol sarcasm.. :p

I suppose the killstreak killing works both ways.

The top of their helmet thing is pretty daft though...

I've come to accept that every CoD from here until the end of time will have those issues. The only thing that really-really annoys me right now though is the lag and hit detection which is the worst I've ever experienced in any CoD to date, and it's absolutely unacceptable for a game of this day, and a game of 12 players.

Circle T said:

*Edit* Does anyone know if Hacker Pro let you sabotage ANY drop, like the Hardline Pro reroll, or does it only work on actual Care Packages??
Any, and it lets you keep the contents.

I bought this game yesterday & finished it today, I can't believe how incredibly disappointed I am with the single player.

The set pieces were nice & all, but the actual gameplay aspects of it are so brief & spread out that I might as well have watched an entire run of it on youtube & would of had the exact experience I had from playing it.

Circle T

Mr Sandman said:
Any, and it lets you keep the contents.
Thanks. I knew you kept the contents, I just didn't know if it only worked on CPs, or if all the drops worked. I'm going to have to get Hacker Pro, just for the shenanigans of it. I'm decidedly average at this game, so I like finding other ways to entertain myself....

Random thought: I've noticed that in BO, the drops are much better at coming down very close to where you've thrown the smoke. Could you throw your smoke grenade down, and then lay a claymore on that spot? Will the drop set it off when it lands? If that works, you could create your own make-shift sabotaged packages, just with a claymore hiding "inside" :D

TheExodu5

Banned
bolbronx said:
My setup is like this:

fa28503b.jpg

Maybe i should try switching the Grenade & Melee.

I already know i'm gonna melee the hell out nothing, and be throwing grenades when i run into people

I've got knife on forward thumb, grenade on back thumb, tactical on middle mouse.

J-Rzez said:
I've come to accept that every CoD from here until the end of time will have those issues. The only thing that really-really annoys me right now though is the lag and hit detection which is the worst I've ever experienced in any CoD to date, and it's absolutely unacceptable for a game of this day, and a game of 12 players.

Yeah, I've accepted it too but I can still rag on it! :p

Hit detection is pretty damn shocking currently though.. I'm just amazed by how many people spray and pray too. (I know it's not totally reliable) But watching killcams just shows how poor people are at aiming. One guy got the final kill the other day firing an entire magazine horizontally...

Dresden

Circle T said:
Random thought: I've noticed that in BO, the drops are much better at coming down very close to where you've thrown the smoke. Could you throw your smoke grenade down, and then lay a claymore on that spot? Will the drop set it off when it lands? If that works, you could create your own make-shift sabotaged packages, just with a claymore hiding "inside" :D
It's more likely that the smoke will clear off before they ever get there, and you'll be out a tactical grenade and a claymore.

J-Rzez

MarshMellow96 said:
Yeah, I've accepted it too but I can still rag on it! :p

Hit detection is pretty damn shocking currently though.. I'm just amazed by how many people spray and pray too. (I know it's not totally reliable) But watching killcams just shows how poor people are at aiming. One guy got the final kill the other day firing an entire magazine horizontally...

:lol

Good stuff. It's funny to watch the final kill cam. Every single time it's someone aiming at someone's ankles and getting a headshot.

Circle T

Dresden said:
It's more likely that the smoke will clear off before they ever get there, and you'll be out a tactical grenade and a claymore.
Sorry, I didn't think about that before I typed it. I meant the smoke grenade for your item drop, not the actual smoke screen grenade. My bad. I was thinking something like this...

1 - Throw package drop grenade
2 - lay claymore on that spot
3 - package lands on (hopefully still intact) claymore
4 - run and hide
5 - ???
6 - Shenanigans

ZZMitch

TheExodu5 said:
I've got knife on forward thumb, grenade on back thumb, tactical on middle mouse.

On my Razer Deathadder I have knife as the forward thumb, change stance on the back thumb and grenade as the middle mouse.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Yeah, these checkpoints on Veteran are what I imagine slamming my dick in a door would be like. MW2 removed so much of the bullshit and actually made Veteran quite playable apart from Favela which required a slow methodical pace. This is like 3 steps back.

I want devs to confirm if the game has unlimited enemy spawns anywhere. I don't want to waste my time playing slowly if those assholes will never stop coming.

MarshMellow96 said:
I don't think people are poor at aiming at all. I just think the game is really bad at showing you an accurate picture of where your opponent is. It sucks watching a killcam and seeing your character shooting steady, but in a completely wrong direction.

Circle T

Circle T said:
Sorry, I didn't think about that before I typed it. I meant the smoke grenade for your item drop, not the actual smoke screen grenade. My bad. I was thinking something like this...

1 - Throw package drop grenade
2 - lay claymore on that spot
3 - package lands on (hopefully still intact) claymore
4 - run and hide
5 - ???
6 - Shenanigans
OK, I just loaded up the game in split-screen, and tried this. TOTALLY works. The crate falls almost exactly on the spot, with the claymore perfectly intact "inside" of it. This is now going to be one of my main motives in games. I'm going to get Hacker Pro to sabotage enemy drops, and I'm going to plant my claymore or C4 under my own drops :D

VaLiancY

Stallion Free said:
Yeah, these checkpoints on Veteran are what I imagine slamming my dick in a door would be like. MW2 removed so much of the bullshit and actually made Veteran quite playable apart from Favela which required a slow methodical pace. This is like 3 steps back.

I want devs to confirm if the game has unlimited enemy spawns anywhere. I don't want to waste my time playing slowly if those assholes will never stop coming.

When I first played the
Bay of Pigs invasion
, Woods glitched on a piece of geomtry and I didn't notice and I was fighting an endless wave of RPK wielding Cubans in the courtyard. :lol

-Yeti said:
Oh, I thought it was like MW2 where it also lost damage. Still, it's awesome. :D

Although I'm pretty sure Assault Rifles lose some damage with Suppressors attached.
In theory, the guns aren't supposed to lose "damage" with a silencer attached; however, in reality, bullet damage diminishes over set distances in these games. When you shorten the range of a gun by attaching a silencer, you also decrease it's damage output, as your "maximum damage" range is shortened. This is most noticeable on SMGs, in my opinion.

EDIT:

g35twinturbo said:
:lol

good

On that note, I wish my stats would reset... then I'd have a higher K/D from knowing the maps and weapons better. :lol :lol :lol

AcciDante

How do I get my rendered clips to go to my youtube account? I have my account linked, but the vid is still on their channel. It's a really shitty clip, but if anyone wants to see it...click. I don't know how that happened.

Stantron

I finished campaign on Veteran last night. Although it could have used a bit more polished in some areas, I really enjoyed it. In terms of difficulty, I'd say it's on par with the other games in the series. The cake still goes to CoD Classic, IMO.

I wish that if a player is getting shot point blank, he would not be able to knife his way out of it. Shit makes you feel so cheated, as does the lag in general (360). I really hope they address this well in the first patch.

Protip: For people wondering, if you lay down a claymore, then replenish with an ammo crate, you get a second claymore in your inventory. However, if you lay that second one down, the first automatically blows up.

Sentry gun is awesome to use as bait for people on the other team swarming in to get the ghost pro challenge. It doesn't even need to be in an ideal sentry gun location, just a location that is secure enough for you to camp and get a few cheap kills. :lol

Here's my first attempt at the youtube upload feature. Something simple, a two for one shot with the L96A1 Bolt Action sniper + ACOG scope. I put the aim down sights moment before the shot into slow motion for dramatic affect. Unfortunately, the replay looks like my aim was way off to the right. In game, the departed grunts were in line with my sights.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcJBrjyVeEQ

Bison11

Najaf said:

I also noticed that the Red Dot takes WAY more glare from the sun than the Reflex and that really annoys me so I use the reflex.

jkanownik

Stantron said:
Protip: For people wondering, if you lay down a claymore, then replenish with an ammo crate, you get a second claymore in your inventory. However, if you lay that second one down, the first automatically blows up.

I'm pretty sure hacked claymores work the same way. It seems you can only have one claymore out at a time regardless of where it came from.

I feel like a kid in a sweet shop, I literally just unlocked the Commando and a friend told me about the Stoner, ive been going to town with the AK74 since this morning (which is immense) and literally cannot for the life of me decide which gun to use.

I used the Stoner once, and loved it but it seemed like it ran outta ammo quickly - it also seems to slow down your base movement?

Ive been using the AK all day, and despite its HUGE recoil its powerful enough that I can burst fire at range and get a ton of kills.

Ive just used the Commando once, and I did good with it, but it seems like on most maps the AK is the better weapon? It seems to take a few more bullets to kill and close range that can be disasterous. Never really got to take advantage of its apparent accuracy.

So which guns better? I get the feeling im going to end up using the Commando but I LOVE the AK so cant tell. I feel bad that I havent given the Stoner the time it deserves. :lol Can anyone confirm my assumptions?

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Even tho it said the servers are down, I got into a free for all game and it felt FUCKING AMAZING. Like I was playing offline and I only had 3 bars.

Is it really because the tremendous load of players lags down the server so much itcauses all these laggy ass games normally? I'm just hoping once they're fully functional again, it feels like what I just played. Seriously, amazing shit.

nomoment

Man, unlocking Marathon Pro sucks. I despise Capture the Flag, and it's a pain in the ass being forced to play a mode with a bunch of a other guys who are also obviously trying to unlock the perk.

Top Bottom