• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

Koroshi said:
If we still had infinite OMA grenade launchers, then it would be one of the best perks in the game. But with grenade launchers being nerfed back to normal, there's no reason to be so resistant to explosions.
Which is exactly why it's not overpowered. People will only get a lot of mileage out of it in very few game modes.

Is semtex still 10 times better then a regular grenade? in MW2 for the time I played it I found that semtex was always better, bigger and stronger damage radius and the fuse time wasn't that long at all, oh and you could stick it.

Also as for that flak jacket, most of my explosive deaths in MW2 were from noob tubes otherwise it was a bullet death.

buy teh haloz said:
But unless the majority of your kills are from explosives, it isn't really going to effect you that much. And it was obviously not to bad in WaW.
No, I actually despise using grenades/semtex/noob tubes for cheap kills. I'm all about bullets. But as a sniper, I usually plant claymores to protect my back, and they're now useless (I think that tons of people will use Flak Jacket).

madmook

The Dutch Slayer said:
As I understood it, its an offline with bots mp totally suppurate mode that you can play with local and online friends.
It does not contribute to your "normal" progress at all.
I, like you, am very interested in the bot mp. I'm also disappointed and pretty annoyed that it can only be played "online". I guess it's because you can play it online with people like regular mp just plus bots. Still, no excuses for not enabling offline 1p or 2-4p split-screen.

And I believe I read that there is progression in the "Combat Training" mode. Meaning, the same progression and stat-tracking in the regular mp, but obviously a separate record/profile kept for Combat Training mode.

Oh shit... my Gold runs out at the end of November, and I was thinking of letting it go to silver... does that mean Combat Training will be unavailable because it is considered an "online" mode and thus would require Gold? Fuuuuuuuuu

Koroshi said:
No, I actually despise using grenades/semtex/noob tubes for cheap kills. I'm all about bullets. But as a sniper, I usually plant claymores to protect my back, and they're now useless (I think that tons of people will use Flak Jacket).
They aren't useless, once you hear the explosion go off you'll know to turn the hell around!

Koroshi said:
Ah, you may actually have a point with claymores. On the plus side someone who sets off your claymore will only be on 25 health, so you can take them out with a pistol fairly easily.

X26

Banned
Diablohead said:
Is semtex still 10 times better then a regular grenade? in MW2 for the time I played it I found that semtex was always better, bigger and stronger damage radius and the fuse time wasn't that long at all, oh and you could stick it.

Also as for that flak jacket, most of my explosive deaths in MW2 were from noob tubes otherwise it was a bullet death.

I never got any grenade related challenges because of this, semtex was a million times better

So, pretty much, everything has already taken a turn being overpowered or underpowered, and we are still 4 days away from the game being officially released? Gotcha. :lol

kuYuri

I must be one of the few around here who still uses Frag grenades. They have their advantages over Semtex.

TheApatheticOne said:
So, pretty much, everything has already taken a turn being overpowered or underpowered, and we are still 4 days away from the game being officially released? Gotcha. :lol

This is the internet we're talking about.

Strider2K99 said:
I must be one of the few around here who still uses Frag grenades. They have their advantages over Semtex.

This is the internet we're talking about.

I use frags as well, I like having the ability to bounce them off of something as needed.

Well of course there's going to be all kinds on analysis before the game comes out, but that's the fun of it.

I think the Flak Jacket will wind up being almost like a behavioral conditioning experiment. I know I won't even bother using a noob tube because if I'm standing 30 feet away and you are firing bullets and I fire my tube in MW2, chances are I win. Now though if you are wearing a Flak Jacket and I fire in that same circumstance in Black Ops, you are still firing away at me while I've just hurt you and now need to switch to something else to finish the job. Chances are I'll be long dead before I get that chance. Eventually over time this means people will stop bothering with the noob tubes. Or just teamup and use them in pairs with their buddies, guess that would still work. :lol

LeMaximilian said:
As of last night no...and it's extremely stupid considering the PS3 servers are up. What's with the 360 hate!?
don't think 360 owners will ever have the right of claiming they are being treated unfairly when it comes to a COD game.

kaskade

Amazon brought back the 20 dollar credit it seems. Very nice. Now I can get AC Brother hood for 40, then get 15 credit from that. I <3 you Amazon.

h0pper

only Fernando's ripe melons are good enough for me
the flak jacket thing will have a positive impact as mentioned by some posters already. if it can nullify noob tubers, I'm all for it. At first, you'll see noob tubers, but then if people start using flak jacket, you'll see less noob tubers. then, you'll see less flak jacket.

Diablohead said:

I'm looking forward to knowing this as well. Frags were nerfed to hell and back in MW2 as a over-reaction to COD4. Hopefully they find a happy medium in black ops.

Mr. B Natural said:
I'm looking forward to knowing this as well. Frags were nerfed to hell and back in MW2 as a over-reaction to COD4. Hopefully they find a happy medium in black ops.

Totally agree. I barely used grenades in MW2 because they barely ever killed people outright unless they were particularly stupid and were standing on top of your grenade.

Rainy Dog

Diablohead said:

Apparently, Semtex has nowhere near the throw distance of a frag this time and can be only be thrown a few yards.

Circle T

Has there been any new info on Theater Mode? Any videos showing how it works? Where do the clips that we make go? Will there be a Black Ops site, similar to bungie.net with Halo clips and screens?

I really enjoyed the Theater mode in the recent few Halo games, so I'm sure I will get a lot of mileage out of it in Black Ops. That is, if it is fairly easy to use, and easy to get to the clips.

Rainy Dog said:
Flak Jacket looks to be extremely effective going by this video from robocho on the denkirson boards. Two successive grenades from a launcher and he's still standing :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtuGH_ZeCgw

I think it needed to be this effective though, otherwise wouldn't have been worth a perk 1 slot.

It seems the jacket is more vulnerable to regular grenades and rocket launchers. Noob tubes though wont even kill a guy after two hits. :lol

Treyarch did that specifically because of the n00b tubers in MW.

Loxley

Rainy Dog said:
Flak Jacket looks to be extremely effective going by this video from robocho on the denkirson boards. Two successive grenades from a launcher and he's still standing :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtuGH_ZeCgw

I think it needed to be this effective though, otherwise wouldn't have been worth a perk 1 slot.

Exactly. Treyarch said they wanted the Perk 1 slot to define your loadout (for the most part) so it would make sense to make Flak Jacket really kick ass at what it does. Same goes for the other Tier 1 perks.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
so people saw the gamespot right, the dev guy talked about in nuketown you have to shoot the mannequins heads off with a team within a certain amount of time

i REALLY want to know what this does :lol

For UK GAF:

It's being rumoured that Sainsbury's and Morrisons will sell Call of Duty: Black Ops for just £25 at launch.

GAME will offer the title for £24.99 if bought with any other in-store chart game on Xbox 360 or PS3.

Trade in Halo: Reach, Dead Rising 2, F1 2010 or FIFA 11 and you'll get it for the same price too.

Gamestation will give an extra £5 of store credit to punters who trade in two titles against a Black Ops purchase, and will also offer the game for £20 when bought with an Xbox 360 4GB console.

Alternatively, you might want to trade in Medal of Honor and pick up Black Ops for just £7.99 at HMV.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=273838

rObit

Banned
Wow just read the OP, got super hyped all of a sudden. Dedi servers + theatre mode on PC should be good enough for the return of CoD competetive gaming. :D :D :D Can't wait

Dina

Direct noobtube hits should still be a death, tho. Like it or not, there is some skill to noobtubing.

LowParry

Man. This and Ys: OoF - What a damn fun week it's going to be. Minus the school part. :( WoW can wait. I think I may go with SMGs as a main weapon. They look good all around for use.

Calibur said:
But ....i bet the stores will be only stocking about 25 to 35 copies and every kids Mums & Dads, will be buying it for them in the morning! :'(

If it's confirmed I'm getting up super early. I did got to one forum where a guy claiming he worked for Morrisons said that they'd be doing it for £29.99 when bought with a chart game. So it might just be Sainsbury's.

Top Bottom