• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

jiien

Bootaaay said:
Has anyone else noticed players outside of the confines of the map? My team got a spy plane on Firing Range, and right outside the map boundaries there were two people moving about and although I heard sniper fire when I investigated the area, no one actually hit me. Hope this game doesn't become a glitch/exploit-fest (ugh, flashbacks to the later days of Perfect Dark Zero before Halo 3 came along).

Decoy?

Bootaaay said:
Has anyone else noticed players outside of the confines of the map? My team got a spy plane on Firing Range, and right outside the map boundaries there were two people moving about and although I heard sniper fire when I investigated the area, no one actually hit me. Hope this game doesn't become a glitch/exploit-fest (ugh, flashbacks to the later days of Perfect Dark Zero before Halo 3 came along).

I thought I saw someone that had glitched outside of Cracked because they were appearing outside of map on the radar. Boy did I feel stupid when I realized someone had just thrown on of those distraction grenades in the water.

I am back in town and trying to get to the bottom of the spawning issues.

Let me explain how spawning generally works. The spawn system is trying to pick the best spawn from all the available spots. Each spawn has a "score" or "rating" that is constantly being modified based on what is going on around that spawn. Many things can impact the rating of a spawn.

For example, a teammate who recently died would temporarily lower the value of a spawn. Spawns in the path of a Napalm strike should have their values lowered significantly. Etc., all. The complete list of things that modify the value of a spawn is large.

No spawn can ever by 100% eliminated as a choice, because we have to spawn you even if it is less than ideal. It's unfortunate when you spawn directly in front of someone like this video shows (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI2CtQHgmNA&feature=related). That shouldn't happen.

During development, we had the spawns running with a low error rate. 98 to 99% of the time for most maps (small maps like Nuketown are an exception) when you spawned you were not killed or injured or able to injure someone within 3 seconds of spawning. The game was instrumented and we were logging this. Our spawn debug tools are the best they have ever been, so I'm disappointed and want to see if we can sort this out.

Please don't bother linking in Nuketown videos. That map is too small to use as the basis for evaluating what is wrong. Use Summit, Launch or Radiation.

The videos are helpful but they just show one bad spawn. They don't help us understand why that spawn point was chosen by the game over another. In order to get to the bottom of that, I need to see "the big picture" of what is going on in the entirety of the map. Please make your video as detailed as possible. Freeze time. Show us the entire map. Were killstreaks in the sky? Where are they aiming. Show me all the players from both teams and any skull (recently deceased friendly) icons.

Hopefully, that makes sense.

For our part, we have re-enabled the spawn logging (this is only something we can do in development, not on the live servers, unfortunately) and are now building up a match library so we can evaluate further.

Please remember what I said before. If we can find and reproduce the steps that causes the error we can fix it.

David 'Vahn' Vonderhaar

aristotle said:
Here's my emblem :D

iqbo11.jpg

:lol
I love it.

jiien

cuevas said:
Way to admit one of your maps is just broken. :lol :lol :lol

I like Nuketown. I think it's stupid for serious play, but as long as you don't play seriously, it's very fun. I think the quote above just underscores the fact that even the developers didn't put it in there with the intention that people will take it seriously. It's just for fun. And why not? It's a game.

Anyway, I completely trust Treyarch to fix up the spawns. We were in the same situation for WaW. When it first came out, spawns were crappy. They were fixed, and everything was right again. Besides, as a computer science guy, I can completely sympathize with their situation regarding the spawns.

jiien said:
I like Nuketown. I think it's stupid for serious play, but as long as you don't play seriously, it's very fun. I think the quote above just underscores the fact that even the developers didn't put it in there with the intention that people will take it seriously. It's just for fun. And why not? It's a game.

Anyway, I completely trust Treyarch to fix up the spawns. We were in the same situation for WaW. When it first came out, spawns were crappy. They were fixed, and everything was right again. Besides, as a computer science guy, I can completely sympathize with their situation regarding the spawns.

Is it fun for me? Hell yes I love spawn camping people who are spawning 1 bush over but I don't think that should be in the game.

jiien

cuevas said:
Is it fun for me? Hell yes I love spawn camping people who are spawning 1 bush over but I don't think that should be in the game.

To each his own then. I don't see why it shouldn't be in the game. Even more so now that the map selection in the pre-game lobby is so much more in the players' hands. If the map was really that bad, people can just not pick it as the next map.

jiien said:

:lol I just can't go with that defense. Anyway, the map itself doesn't even bother me, playing it over and over against my will makes me want to break something.

aristotle

Tkawsome said:
:lol
I love it.
Thanks! I love cookie monster. It looks much better when it's small. I ran out of money for the layers :( I have since change my clan tag to NOM! :D

Here's the current build I'm running and the havoc it can wreck in HQ (point wise)

iz43fk.jpg

It's not even very fun. It's an extremely fast way to level up though. Unfortunately as soon as I got the death machine, I was killed so I didn't even get to use it yet. Oh well. Take in mind that's only one game and I'm already half way through to my first prestige level and I was level 48. This is only my third game tonight. I went up from level 48 to 50 1/2 in 3 games. It's insane.

Chrange

Banned
cuevas said:
Yeah, there shouldn't be anything in the game that's just FUN for crying out loud. How ridiculous!

Nuketown is too small for the number of players on the map, but it's nice to play it once in a while just for the all-out insanity. If a lobby insists on repeating the map, I just leave and get a new lobby. There's plenty of maps to play on, unlike some other FPS games this year.

Chrange said:
Yeah, there shouldn't be anything in the game that's just FUN for crying out loud. How ridiculous!

Nuketown is too small for the number of players on the map, but it's nice to play it once in a while just for the all-out insanity. If a lobby insists on repeating the map, I just leave and get a new lobby. There's plenty of maps to play on, unlike some other FPS games this year.

This is true. BFBC2 and Reach failed hard in that aspect.

Hyunkel6

Any tips for the part in which I have to kick the napalm barrels down the hill on veteran? As soon as I kick the first barrel, bullets come at me from every possible angle.

Also, is there a way to tell which level I did on a particular difficulty?

unomas

Banned
Hyunkel6 said:
Any tips for the part in which I have to kick the napalm barrels down the hill on veteran? As soon as I kick the first barrel, bullets come at me from every possible angle.

Also, is there a way to tell which level I did on a particular difficulty?

Good luck, that part was a pain in the ass, I did it a few days ago and finished up on Vet last night. All I can say is come from the left side of the hill first, once you get that middle barrel down you will hit a checkpoint, and the second barrel is pretty easy to get after getting the checkpoint on the first. To me it's the hardest part of the game on Veteran, there was nothing more difficult in my entire playthrough that I remember.

Chrange said:

Broken things can be fun, doesn't mean they should stay around.

Just got 54k COD points in a core match of TDM. My jaw hit the floor.

Is that a glitch or something? I did really well in the match, going 18-3, but daaaamn. Didn't know those kind of numbers were possible.

Biff

VsRobot said:
I've never even seen a Sentry Gun. :(
I completely lucked out tonight.

Called in a Sentry Gun of my own, was planning to let a baddie steal it, but just thought whatever, let's try it. Planted it, and sure enough, I stupidly put it in a corner far away from anyone, so it wasn't getting any kills. Fail.

...Or so I thought...

Then, maybe the one person out the 400,000 people online who has and equips Hacker Pro was in my room. And hacked my sentry. I saw my sentry turn red on the minimap and made a mad dash to slash it. I got killed *just* after slashing the thing.

Ghost Pro hurrah

The respawning in Crisis so broken. It either puts both teams right on the beach, or spawns everybody in the most random areas of the map. It's nuts, every two seconds you're getting shot in the back.

CartridgeBlower said:
Just got 54k COD points in a core match of TDM. My jaw hit the floor.

Is that a glitch or something? I did really well in the match, going 18-3, but daaaamn. Didn't know those kind of numbers were possible.

Challenges? Thinking challenges.

JaxJag

Banned
Sorry if it has already been posted, but it seems the Black Ops commercial is causing a stir with the media.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSjNWOKNITA

It's funny, there's been a few NBA players who has staring roles in violent movies (Like Dennis Rodman in Double Team), but I don't remember the media being upset about it.

I guess that's because video games are just for kids, and should be treated as such.

JaxJag said:
Sorry if it has already been posted, but it seems the Black Ops commercial is causing a stir with the media.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSjNWOKNITA

It's funny, there's been a few NBA players who has staring roles in violent movies (Like Dennis Rodman in Double Team), but I don't remember the media being upset about it.

I guess that's because video games are just for kids, and should be treated as such.

It's skip bayless. His whole gimmick is saying stupid things and being faux outraged at whatever happens to justify his job.

Loxley

Stoney Mason said:
It's skip bayless. His whole gimmick is saying stupid things and being faux outraged at whatever happens to justify his job.

"All your doing is just shooting people!"

Uh...welcome to video games circa 1995? I've never heard of this guy since I tend to avoid ESPN like the plague, but he's hilarious :lol

I just watched more of it, good god these people are circling the drain of idiocy. "This is going to hurt Kobe's image", for who, exactly? Housewives in the mid-west? Kobe's fan-base are large in-part 18-24 males, which happens to be key demographic for the Call of Duty franchise. Kobe's fans will likely think it's awesome that he appeared in the commercial. Then again, I don't exactly expect "news" outlets to do their research anymore with regards to video game coverage, all we ever get are these knee-jerk "outrage" commentaries.

At least the girl mad some vague attempt towards the end to reason that it's just an ad for a video game.

Chrange

Banned
Loxley said:
"All your doing is just shooting people!"

Uh...welcome to video games circa 1995? I've never heard of this guy since I tend to avoid ESPN like the plague, but he's hilarious :lol

I just watched more of it, good god these people are circling the drain of idiocy. "This is going to hurt Kobe's image", for who, exactly? Housewives in the mid-west? Kobe's fan-base are large in-part 18-24 males, which happens to be key demographic for the Call of Duty franchise. Kobe's fans will likely think it's awesome that he appeared in the commercial. Then again, I don't exactly expect "news" outlets to do their research anymore with regards to video game coverage, all we ever get are these knee-jerk "outrage" commentaries.

Being associated with video games hurts his image? Man, either people forget quickly or the video game industry need some serious PR work...

JaxJag

Banned
Red Blaster said:
If raping a white girl in a Colorado hotel room didn't hurt Kobe's reputation then I don't see how the Black Ops commercial will.
According to Skip, the ad is worse than the girl in Colorado.

nbraun80

So I've seen some awesome looking emblems and it made me realize I suck at using this thing. So does anyone have any ideas of how to make a emblem dealing with mega man? I would give a hearty internet high-five if someone could do it. :)

Maybe something like this, whether it be his whole body or just the head.
64048-468x-mega-man-300x300.jpg

bdouble

First time I've ever seen that ad. Pretty damn good spot. I liked it.

I don't get it. Why is it so wrong for Kobe to be an actual person that :gasp: might actually like playing video games where you are a soldier. Skip s a character but that other guy seemed serious.

Teknoman said:
Still waiting on pulling the trigger for the PC version. Have a sneaking suspicion that Steam is going to put it on sale soon.

Keep dreaming. Activision and Father Kotick would never let anyone cut the price on the game a month after release.

Call of Duty 4 and World at War are still $30 on Steam.

Nabs

Teknoman said:
Still waiting on pulling the trigger for the PC version. Have a sneaking suspicion that Steam is going to put it on sale soon.
Keep an eye out for Target/Walmart/Amazon sales

Dresden

Hope they fix matchmaking.

Stakeout is amazing. And ADS does cut down spread, which extends its killing range--ADS with Stakeout is almost as good as MW2's Spas. Seems like they put a quirk in every shotgun--Olympia deals the most damage, Stakeout has the best range when ADS'd, Spas doesn't suffer damage reduction from using a silencer, and you can dual wield the HS-10.

The spawns on the larger maps really are not that broken. I have seen and experienced some wonky spawns; but it really is a here and there thing, its not a constant issue.

Top Bottom