• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

Mik2121

Hanmik said:
oh my... bad news for me then.. please keep posting your expirience with the game post-patch.. I want to play the game but Lag and Party issues make me sad...
Uhm dunno if it's related or not, but my PS3 just froze after finishing a game and trying to open the chat window. In fact, every time I open the chat window the game screen starts to flicker all the time and going crazy (this has been happening since I got the game, anyway).

Mush

aku:jiki said:
I've recently made the switch to rolling with Flak Jacket all the time myself. It makes the game a much better experience, when you're not dying from RC's every 20 fucking seconds. :D
Wait, wut? If you have FJ equipped you don't die from RC cars?? Why was I not told this? :(

Hanmik

Mik2121 said:
Uhm dunno if it's related or not, but my PS3 just froze after finishing a game and trying to open the chat window. In fact, every time I open the chat window the game screen starts to flicker all the time and going crazy (this has been happening since I got the game, anyway).

Yes I know about that shit.. Black ops has serious problems with the XMB on PS3. If you play Singleplayer and try to acces the XMB to look at trophies, the game freezes all the time. It will UNFREEZE shortly after.. also when you unlock a trophy the game freezes..
And it is MUCH worse in MP. If I play MP and try tp acces the XMB the game slows down and most of the time it will freeze or make the games unplayable..

I love the videos of people being shot around corners like OMG I escaped!

News Flash! No, you didn't! On that guys screen he shot you and the host confirmed it and you died. Your screen which was obviously further behind due to your ping being higher means you weren't/aren't seeing an accurate representation of the true game that is going on.

In Halo Reach there is a connection info section in the game and mine has said "Warning! suboptimal network conditions may effect gameplay" since I've started playing it. I don't have a great connection to be honest its a 10/1 line from TimeWarner/Roadrunner with a fair amount of ping. Even with all that said this game is very fair with the way battles are dealt.

What I'm really getting at is some of you people just need to realize you might actually be losing these battles...you might be missing these shots and the other person might not be missing, it happens. I know it might hurt your ego but you may not be the best CoD player out there, no offense.

I've played 16 hours, and have had about 5 or 6 laggy games that never changed host and it flat out just pissed me off the whole game, along with probably 10 disconnects. The rest of my games have been pretty damn fair-feeling. It doesn't seem any better or worse than any other online game. To say this game has good or bad netcode is ridiculous, it has a system thats good enough the majority of the time. If this isn't your experience you might want to call your ISP, upgrade your hardware (router and such), or configure your stuff correctly (search local).

Hanmik

xxjuicesxx said:
... lot of words

so the replay video (which ALSO shows me being shot around a corner) is also affected by my bad connection..? I think not...

the netcode in Lag Ops is just BAD.. no matter what you are trying to tell.. I might not be a COD king, or a good player. But I have played my share of FPS on PS3, and I have never ever expirienced this amount of Lag and bad programming..

Hanmik said:
so the replay video (which ALSO shows me being shot around a corner) is also affected by my bad connection..? I think not...

the netcode in Lag Ops is just BAD.. no matter what you are trying to tell.. I might not be a COD king, or a good player. But I have played my share of FPS on PS3, and I have never ever expirienced this amount of Lag and bad programming..

Ughh thats what I'm saying you weren't shot dead around a corner first off, you died before you were around the corner, just on your game it showed you around the corner...

Also I explained over on youtube why you lost, you barely shot that guy...he ran and knifed you before you got the kill off. Sorry you lost both those. I'm just being honest.

snap0212

xxjuicesxx said:
Ughh thats what I'm saying you weren't shot dead around a corner first off, you died before you were around the corner, just on your game it showed you around the corner...

Also I explained over on youtube why you lost, you barely shot that guy...he ran and knifed you before you got the kill off. Sorry you lost both those. I'm just being honest.
So he couldn't even have killed him, because his game didn't really show him what's going on. How is that not a problem caused by the game?

aristotle

Seep said:
I find the lack of effort put into this cookie monster more disturbing than any cock I've seen on live.

Reported

NO!!!!

I admit I didn't work on it very long, but making his mouth correct it harder than it appears. Remember, I'm copying this from an actual shirt that I own. I need to figure out a way to make his mustache and it'll look much better. I need to fix the corner of his mouth as well.

Does anyone know how many layers you can have on your emblems? I have to wait until I level up more before I can edit again. I just prestiged last night, but level 7 already in one game :D

Huggers

Hanmik said:
playing on X360, PC,PS3 or Wii..?

because if the PS3 version is still laggy and party system still doesn´t work, I´m switching to some other game..

Same, mines getting traded for some racing game next week unless they sort out the online

snap0212 said:
So he couldn't even have killed him, because his game didn't really show him what's going on. How is that not a problem caused by the game?

Its a problem caused by THE INTERNET. If it were on LAN it wouldn't be so. Its not like his game is 2 seconds behind its probably ~.2 seconds behind.

Fuck. :lol

cameltoe

xxjuicesxx said:
Its a problem caused by THE INTERNET. If it were on LAN it wouldn't be so. Its not like his game is 2 seconds behind its probably ~.2 seconds behind.

No way dude..at times it is almost like 2 seconds off....Ill come around a corner and there is no one there, yet I get killed. Killcam shows the dude standing right in frt of me before I turned the corner. He was not there on my screen. This shit happens a lot.

snap0212

xxjuicesxx said:

But my INTERWEBZ doesn't magically get worse when I put in CoD: Black Ops and turns into a better thing when I play Modern Warfare 2, for example. Or Counter Strike, or Resistance, or Halo: Reach. All games I had no problems with playing online and situations like the one described by Hanmik happend only on rare occasions. They happen a lot in Black Ops.

http://www.vg247.com/2010/11/18/black-ops-grosses-650-million-in-first-five-days-worldwide/

Activision’s just announced Call of Duty: Black Ops has grossed $650 million within its first five days on sale worldwide.

The astonishing figure has bettered the $550 million made by Infinity Ward’s Modern Warfare 2 last year, and has “shattered theatrical box office, book and video game sales records for five-day worldwide sell through in dollars.”

Also confirmed by Activision was that 5.9 million hours have been spent on multiplayer by the end of its launch day, with 2.6 million Live users playing MP in its first day.

“With a record breaking performance on Xbox LIVE, home to the world’s largest Call of Duty gaming community, Call of Duty: Black Ops has already carved out its legacy as one of the biggest video games in history,” said Xbox boss Don Mattrick.

“We congratulate our partners at Activision and Treyarch and are proud to continue offering the best Call of Duty experience to our 25 million global Xbox LIVE members by launching all Call of Duty map packs first on Xbox 360.”

Naturally, big Bobby Kotick is very pleased.

“Call of Duty has become the first entertainment property in history to set five-day launch records for two consecutive years across all forms of entertainment,” said the Activision boss.

“The title’s success illustrates the mass appeal of interactive entertainment as millions of consumers are choosing to play Call of Duty: Black Ops at unprecedented levels rather than engage in other forms of media.

“The number of people playing online and the number of hours they are playing demonstrates how online gaming has become a mainstream form of entertainment and certainly validates Activision Blizzard’s leadership role in online entertainment”

The title also became the biggest PS3 launch for Amazon.com and GameStop ever.

“Call of Duty: Black Ops has been an incredible success on PlayStation 3,” added SCEA CEO, Jack Tretton.

“Treyarch’s latest efforts are driving unprecedented traffic to the PlayStation Network with the flagship online experience this holiday season.”

Black Ops sold 5.6 million units in the US and UK within in its first day on sale, with 2 million units sold in the UK in its first week.

But despite the big numbers, Activision is “excited about the performance of Call of Duty: Black Ops, but given that it is still very early in the holiday shopping season, the company remains cautiously optimistic.”

Mik2121

xxjuicesxx said:

So you are telling us that everybody's connections got worse since they bought Black Ops? Because in MW2 most of us never had connection problems, or at least not as bad as with BO.

Oh and btw, this is, at least for me, mostly when playing on a party. When going solo I usually don't have any problem.

Veritas_

Finished the Singleplayer after a marathon session last night. Playtime felt just right, about 9 hours or so. (Got killed a few times.) Thought the story was awesome, had me hooked wanting to find out what happens next. Treyarch really are masters of building suspense and a dark gritty world. Like someone before me mentioned, I would love to see a horror/survival game from these guys. Couple more thoughts in spoilers...

- When you enter the Pentagon to speak with President Kennedy, and the game goes into slow motion while all the monitors behind him switch over to images of the assasination/funeral was an awesomesomly creepy idea.

- I liked how they linked WaW and BlOps together with Reznov and the Nova-6 scientists. Watching Dimitri die in the room next to you was such a kick in the balls.

- The effects of Nova-6 seem oddly similar to zombification (epidermal necrosis). I was expecting Nazi Zombies to be popping out during the arctic ship flashback. Kinda interesting to think that the two are related.

- Tons of awesome visual/audio effects. Many were very subtle. Hearing the numbers being whispered in the middle of a mission, for example. Really liked the effect after you escape the interrogation room and all the numbers on the walls turn into the broadcast numbers.

- Ending scene was a little too "America - Fuck Yeah!"

- Zombie mode with Kennedy, Nixon, McNamera, and Castro is badass. "Consider that bill VETO'D!"

Really loving the multiplayer so far, too. Dual mags is the best attachment ever. Sleight of hand with every other reload and extra ammo? Sign me up!

sturmdogg

After playing Black Ops the past couple of days, I just realized my K/D ratio is better than when I was playing MW2...like waaay better. On any given TDM I would usually get 1.x ratio, sometimes 2.x, but in MW2 I would consider getting 0.5 to be a good round. Anyone else experience this?

I don't know if it's the maps or what, but I'm definitely not complaining :D

aku:jiki said:
Be fair, man! You said it yourself; they were a party and parties don't have it easy in BO. They didn't leave because they didn't want to spend another 35 minutes getting "party no longer active" and "game session no longer available."

Haha, true I guess! I've been in a situation plenty of times where a few of us get in and one doesn't. It's nice being host sometimes though...

I don't know my copy of Black Ops plays just as well as Reach or MW2 over Live. You guys might have a bad copy...

(I'm being sarcastic here)

This game is no better or worse than any other game, all because we're playing it on the internet. Its just the way it is.

Also people complained about the same thing in the MW2 thread you can go back and check if you really want (Black Ops isn't any laggier than MW2 was/is) to be sure but I posted there often and saw a lot of the same stuff... "OMG I killed that knife lunger" that probably sounds familiar right?

Hixx

The Dutch Slayer said:
updates are LIVE as we speak both on 360 and on ps3 if you have not noticed.

Not fixed the spawns though. Just had a match on Launch which was fucking ridiculous :/

Hanmik

The Dutch Slayer said:
updates are LIVE as we speak both on 360 and on ps3 if you have not noticed.

I have noticed.. but if you read this thread.. people don´t seem to notice anything different since the patch.. (with Lag and Party problems)

Mik2121

Yep, this game manages parties incredibly bad. I've been trying to play with another 4 friends for some 3 hours already and only got to play about 5 games all together. Sometimes I get kicked, sometimes someone else, and when you join in chances are you are on the other team, so you have to wait, then regroup and hope it works.

Of course, it almost never works. Not even after this patch.

xxjuicesxx said:
I don't know my copy of Black Ops plays just as well as Reach or MW2 over Live. You guys might have a bad copy...

This game is no better or worse than any other game, all because we're playing it on the internet. Its just the way it is.

Also people complained about the same thing in the MW2 thread you can go back and check if you really want (Black Ops isn't any laggier than MW2 was/is) to be sure but I posted there often and saw a lot of the same stuff... "OMG I killed that knife lunger" that probably sounds familiar right?

I'm sorry but you don't know what you're talking about. Simple.

I have been playing with the same group of people for over a year now. Back in Modern Warfare 2 we could get a party going in about 1 minute and join a match without problems. Sometimes, maybe once every 30 games or so, someone would drop and we would need to regroup and join a game again, but otherwise it would be perfect. Oh and i never felt any lag or anything.

In Black Ops though, solo multiplayer works just fine (there are a bit too many errors, but whatever), but in party mode it's just unbearable.

Also, I'm currently playing other games like Halo Reach and even MW2, and I never have issues. So what? Is it just that my connection messes up just when I'm playing BO? Or maybe it's actually a BO issue, like MANY people around here keep thinking?

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
echoing the past few posts, MW2 always had some latency issues, but black ops feels a degree worse as standard i.e. MW2 would be bad in a bad game, but BO would run fine but still have a certain amount of delay with knife melee and so on.

Will persevere but Brotherhood is looking tempting.

Hanmik

xxjuicesxx said:

so how do you explain shit like this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6T9JUvawBk

look at who he is aiming at, and who he kills.. :lol

Mik2121 I have been playing with the same group of people for over a year now. Back in Modern Warfare 2 we could get a party going in about 1 minute and join a match without problems. Sometimes said:
That's actually a whole different issue. The whole party thing is broken and being worked on. If you remember they also had very similar party problems in MW2 in the beginning too and you can go recheck the MW2 thread if you don't believe that either!

So actually I do know what I'm talking about. I have a pretty damn good understanding of this all.

Seep

aristotle said:
NO!!!!

I admit I didn't work on it very long, but making his mouth correct it harder than it appears. Remember, I'm copying this from an actual shirt that I own. I need to figure out a way to make his mustache and it'll look much better. I need to fix the corner of his mouth as well.

Does anyone know how many layers you can have on your emblems? I have to wait until I level up more before I can edit again. I just prestiged last night, but level 7 already in one game :D
I think it's twelve layers. Also there is a t-shirt sticker so you can put your monster on it so it looks like your one in real life.

JB1981

Man, the single player is a typical COD shooting gallery but a damn fun one (for me) so far. I like the story and the Vietnam sections are pretty awesome.

Hanmik said:

I'm not positive but I believe games have a prediction heuristics system where the game pretty much predicts what players are going to do. It lagged and predicted the guy would keep running he really didn't though and the bullet killed him.

I'm not positive but thats lag. I said lag happens, just like every other game. I can post a video of some Spartan in Reach just walking into a wall for two seconds and then dieing...shit happens.

Its the internet, not the game. The game works pretty damn fine in a relatively lag-free environment, go play training bots and you'll realize that. Bad shit happens in all games, it might be because the bugs haven't been worked out for this but its not terrible netcode, if anything its very similar netcode to the previous MW's + CoD's.

JB1981

xxjuicesxx said:
I love the videos of people being shot around corners like OMG I escaped!

News Flash! No, you didn't! On that guys screen he shot you and the host confirmed it and you died. Your screen which was obviously further behind due to your ping being higher means you weren't/aren't seeing an accurate representation of the true game that is going on.

In Halo Reach there is a connection info section in the game and mine has said "Warning! suboptimal network conditions may effect gameplay" since I've started playing it. I don't have a great connection to be honest its a 10/1 line from TimeWarner/Roadrunner with a fair amount of ping. Even with all that said this game is very fair with the way battles are dealt.

What I'm really getting at is some of you people just need to realize you might actually be losing these battles...you might be missing these shots and the other person might not be missing, it happens. I know it might hurt your ego but you may not be the best CoD player out there, no offense.

I've played 16 hours, and have had about 5 or 6 laggy games that never changed host and it flat out just pissed me off the whole game, along with probably 10 disconnects. The rest of my games have been pretty damn fair-feeling. It doesn't seem any better or worse than any other online game. To say this game has good or bad netcode is ridiculous, it has a system thats good enough the majority of the time. If this isn't your experience you might want to call your ISP, upgrade your hardware (router and such), or configure your stuff correctly (search local).

so basically you're defending lag and shit netcode. ok

Effect

Hanmik said:

Wow. That's just bad. No matter what Treyarch/Activision says it's on their side of things. It's annoying to hear them say you need to alter router setting, etc. No if every other game a player has works just fine then it's not their system or internet connection/setup.

Hanmik

xxjuicesxx said:
Its the internet, not the game. The game works pretty damn fine in a relatively lag-free environment, go play training bots and you'll realize that. Bad shit happens in all games, it might be because the bugs haven't been worked out for this but its not terrible netcode, if anything its very similar netcode to the previous MW's + CoD's.

Training Bots work fine.. and multiplayer works like shit.. how is that not proof of shitty netcode..? maybe I´m just picky, but the lag on my PS3 bugs me ALOT..

I have played MW2 very much.. I am level 67 prestige 8 right now. I suck at the game (my k/d ratio is about 0,97).. but I know why I sucked in that game. That is and was not because of Lag, that is/was because I simply am older than the average player, and my reflexes suck. :D
I have seen lot of lag in MW2, I will admit that. But not as bad as in BO. The lag in BO is nothing like other multiplayer games I have ever played. It´s like a mixture of frameskipping and normal Lag. The only way I will ever play with a positive K/D in BO is if I camp the shit out of it. And I do not like to camp, that is boring..

JB1981 said:
so basically you're defending lag and shit netcode. ok

I'm defending the fact that if you play a game over the internet their is going to be latency.

Any video of lag gameplay is just proof of this. Play on LAN or in single player with Training bots and the game works fine.

Yes that can mean shit netcode, but I've played good games of Black Ops, I've played a lot of them. The game is pretty decent.

Its when you introduce an unusually large amount of lag that the game gets weird.

I'm really trying to be level-headed here. I really don't want to fuck the thread up. Sorry.

SmokeMaxX

I've poured weeks (in-game time) in each CoD except MW2 (I gave up after like 8-10 days of playing time I believe) and even though this is my favorite CoD so far, let's be real.
I'm a huge Treyarch fanboy, but the lag in this game is worse than any other recent CoD (4/5/6), the netcode is worse, the spawns are worse, and the recently resolved connection issues were the worst.
Luckily that's all patchable which means Black Ops has a lot of potential to be one of, if not the best in the series.
I will say that some issues are really bad (connection issues that just got patched) and some issues are really annoying (spawning issues), but only barely worse than in previous games. Spawning will get patched fast and we won't even remember it being an issue.

Have they ever tried a multi player map that is just a large box? No cover, nothing.. just a floor and 4 walls. Image the chaos in such a map. Nuke Town would seem like a vacation paradise.
pave.gif

sturmdogg said:
After playing Black Ops the past couple of days, I just realized my K/D ratio is better than when I was playing MW2...like waaay better. On any given TDM I would usually get 1.x ratio, sometimes 2.x, but in MW2 I would consider getting 0.5 to be a good round. Anyone else experience this?

I don't know if it's the maps or what, but I'm definitely not complaining :D
So far this holds true for me as well. In COD4, my K/D was 1.17, in MW2, it was 1.43 and in BO so far it's at 1.80 and actually creeping up slowly. The funny thing is that I'd say I'm getting a lot less of my kills from killstreak rewards too as I always use Spy Plane/Napalm/Chopper

Hari Seldon

I'm definitely digging the multi in this game far more than MW2. Maybe it is cause I'm on PC this time. Although I never play CoD multi more than like 20-30 hours tops.

todahawk

Seep said:
I think it's twelve layers. Also there is a t-shirt sticker so you can put your monster on it so it looks like your one in real life.

FFA is so odd, one night it's pure chaos, everone running around, epic cat and mouse, etc. and the next night everyone's a bitch hiding in the corner laying prone with decoy grenades going off everywhere that aren't fooling anyone.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
xxjuicesxx said:
I'm defending the fact that if you play a game over the internet their is going to be latency.

Any video of lag gameplay is just proof of this. Play on LAN or in single player with Training bots and the game works fine.

Yes that can mean shit netcode, but I've played good games of Black Ops, I've played a lot of them. The game is pretty decent.

Its when you introduce an unusually large amount of lag that the game gets weird.

I'm really trying to be level-headed here. I really don't want to fuck the thread up. Sorry.

People who expect games to run like silk online are crazy but there is still something to be said for games which run great on a regular basis and games which don't. There's no getting away from that, especially when people are comparing a game to its immediate predecessor in the series.

MW2 when lagged was bad, but a regular game was great. So far a regular Black Ops game still suffers from some strange lag.

Always-honest said:
Have they ever tried a multi player map that is just a large box? No cover, nothing.. just a floor and 4 walls. Image the chaos in such a map. Nuke Town would seem like a vacation paradise.
pave.gif
you have does kinds of maps in Counter-Strike and its a lot of fun! for 20 min and than you need an other map :D

Always-honest said:
pave.gif

thank you for the picture it really helped me understand

Neverender said:
thank you for the picture it really helped me understand
:lol well, you never know.
The Dutch Slayer said:
you have does kinds of maps in Counter-Strike and its a lot of fun! for 20 min and than you need an other map :D
i can't imagine it being fun for long. But it would be fun for a short while i think. Just two matches or something like that. Two matches a day that is ;)

Mik2121

xxxjuicesxxx, say whatever you want. Maybe it's not the netcode and maybe it's something else. The fact is that it gives lots of connection errors, and playing with a party gives you even more.

In fact, I'm still trying to play with this party but EVERY SINGLE TIME a game ends, either I drop, or someone else does. This is just way too big of an issue that they definitely need to fix for real, and not just say they fixed it in a patch when it obviously did nothing.

aku:jiki

xxjuicesxx said:
Wow, you certainly enjoy being a condescending dick regarding things you know nothing about. Impressive! Do you have any idea why those posts are in the MW2 thread, and why they disappeared and never came back after about 2 months?

Because MW2 was that bad at first, then it received an amazing matchmaking patch that resolved a vast amount of issues.

xxjuicesxx said:
Its the internet, not the game. The game works pretty damn fine in a relatively lag-free environment, go play training bots and you'll realize that.
Why do you say things like this, as if games didn't have code that handles how the game communicates with the internet? You keep saying it's ONLY the internet, which is an absolutely ridiculous thing to say. It takes two to tango, and Black Ops can't tango for shit.

The fact that local killing works is an absurdly irrelevant argument. Of course it will be fine, it's not using the netcode.

xxjuicesxx said:
You're failing extremely badly, because you flat-out refuse to even entertain the thought that we might be right and the game actually might be broken. You might have been the lucky one to get consistently good games. These things might be true. But you've been rejecting these ideas without even considering them for a second, which isn't very level-headed at all.

Top Bottom