• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

The only COD games I've played online are this and MW2, and I'm pretty crappy at both of them. I got my first ever 7 killstreak today, and I think my overall K/D is around 0.6. I'm not bad at shooters specifically; I rocked at CS and UT on the PC back in the day, and I used to be decent at Halo 3, but I've never really learned how to do well in COD. Are there any noob guides I should read?

I'm playing on 360 btw.

Hyunkel6

I finally got passed the napalm barrels on veteran last night. I came from the left side, shot three china lake grenades along the trenchline and one more to the right of the first barrel. Then, I threw my 4 grenades at those same spots to keep the enemies busy, dive prone to the barrel, kick it and quickly rush back to the middle safezone. Words can't describe how happy I was when I hit the checkpoint. I was weeping. You guys were right. The rest of the game is a piece of cake compared to this part. :lol

AnEternalEnigma said:
LOL. MW2 has the same fucking bullet lag problems. Don't know what version of MW2 you're playing.

All games have lag but both cod4, waw and mw2 never had issues that BO has.

Both Cod4 and MW2 have the best...BEST matchmaking system and netcode in gaming today that mitigated bullet lag to a minimum. That's what I came to expect out of my cods on console. To say Cod4 and MW2 1 vs 1 gunplay are coin-toss is simply untrue. When someone had the drop on me, I knew it and the game showed it.

I was rarely ever host in mw2 and cod4 (because the system knew better) and it didn't matter. I could barely tell when it came to 99 percent of encounters. I did exceptionally if I played smart, aimed quick and well and got the drop on folks.

Gaf really needs to cut the crap and accept reality...at least until (and that's an IF not a when) this game is actually fixed. This game lags a good half a second to a full second more than mw2. This game's fps is an embarrassment to the series. Combine those two things and you got yourself a coin toss when it comes to gunplay...which is a shame cause this game was suppose to be about the gunplay.

aristotle

Mr. B Natural said:

Both Cod4 and MW2 have the best...BEST matchmaking system and netcode in gaming today that mitigated bullet lag to a minimum. That's what I came to expect out of my cods on console. To say Cod4 and MW2 1 vs 1 gunplay are coin-toss is simply untrue. When someone had the drop on me, I knew it and the game showed it.

I was rarely ever host in mw2 and cod4 (because the system knew better) and it didn't matter. I could barely tell when it came to 99 percent of encounters. I did exceptionally if I played smart, aimed quick and well and got the drop on folks.

Gaf really needs to cut the crap and accept reality...at least until (and that's an IF not a when) this game is actually fixed. This game lags a good half a second to a full second more than mw2. This game's fps is an embarrassment to the series. Combine those two things and you got yourself a coin toss when it comes to gunplay...which is a shame cause this game was suppose to be about the gunplay.

People keep saying this same thing over and over. I don't get it. MW1 and 2 sucked when they first came out. With every new MP game there are growing pains. Most if not all of these issues will be fixed with patches in time. Never has a CoD been flawless out of the box. It usually took awhile for the patches to roll out and MW2 still hasn't fixed problems.

Stop saying "MW1(2) is soooo much better!". It is now. Yes we know that. They both sucked day 1 and for a little bit afterwards. Give it time and these issues will be fixed. Some posters in here are acting like these games were perfect day 1 and we all know that's not the truth at all. FFS already...you don't have to keep posting the same crap people 3 posts above you said.

With that being said, it seems that most of the people complaining about lag are in the 360 camp. I haven't noticed much if any noticeable bullet lag on my PS3. I have lag at times like everyone else, but it's usually due to a high amount of overseas players. When I play with US only, I have little to no lag in my games. Perhaps the amount of people playing really is part of the problem here since that what it appears to be.

Mr. B Natural said:

You're delusional. MW2 was just as terrible as Gears of War 2 when it came to bullet lag. Bullets haven't been following me around corners in Black Ops like MW2 100% of the time. I can actually get to cover now when I get shot.

Dresden

AnEternalEnigma said:
You're delusional. MW2 was just as terrible as Gears of War 2 when it came to bullet lag. Bullets haven't been following me around corners in Black Ops like MW2 100% of the time. I can actually get to cover now when I get shot.
whoa there

let's not get crazy here

aku:jiki

Popped in MW2 and it's playing just fine. Very first guy I see, I get ample time to react and shoot him even though he's looking right at me. I got the exact feeling I wanted, the one I never get in BO -- like the confrontation was fair for both parties. :D

Of course, joining a game and spawning into a Predator while there's a chopper and two harriers in the air was...less fun.

X26 said:
yea I've been getting killed behind cover just to see the killcam show me being out of it since cod4, I've just come to accept that the games will throw a lot of things like that your way
Please, guys, don't be condescending. I've played a ridiculous amount of CoD, and I still play all of them daily, I don't need a tutorial for dummies to how they are. I can pop in any of them right now, and Black Ops will be the worst experience because of the bullet lag.

What's really killing me is that BO would be the best one if the latency was on MW2 levels (which in my experience is the least laggy CoD, though I didn't play the ones before 4). :( :(

Hixx

Mr. B Natural said:

That just isn't true.

Anyway is something up with the servers, I've tried 5 games now and not had one without crippling lag. Not had a single problem since release day like this... on the 360.

JB1981

AnEternalEnigma said:

Poppycock. This game lags a lot harder than MW2. No contest.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I wish the RC cars were stopped by stairs and rubble. As a game mechanic it feels a bit like "the ground is lava" so you automatically seek high ground when you hear the bastard. It sucks to be chased up stairs by it and it feels like a bit of a logic break. Maybe if it was an RC tank...

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
aku:jiki said:
Popped in MW2 and it's playing just fine. Very first guy I see, I get ample time to react and shoot him even though he's looking right at me. I got the exact feeling I wanted, the one I never get in BO -- like the confrontation was fair for both parties. :D
How do you know it seemed fair to him? How do you know he wasn't looking right at you, pressed fire, saw the little hit markers and then died?

I just had an amazing match. My party wasn't broken apart, the game was running smooth, no lag, and I could actually HEAR enemy footsteps. I had absolutely zero deaths from the cheap-as-hell RC cars, and not once did I see a highly offensive emblem. The graphics even looked a lot better than I remembered, and the sound design struck me as phenomenal.

But then I stopped playing MW2 and played some Black Ops. What a mess Black Ops is.

LeMaximilian said:
For the folks on 360, has the lag/connectivity improved with live games/matchmaking?

And, here's another issue I'm curious if others have run into.

When you're the host, do you get SEVERE video lag sometimes? Like, the game drops to 10fps for no reason all the damn time. But it only happens when I'm the host...

Just had this happen to me. I was host, but it looked like I was lagging. Also, so far I'm having a harder time than usual getting into games.

Manus

It shouldn't take half a clip to take out a RC car. They also shouldn't be able to go up steps, what RC car can do that? This game is just a mess. I can't even join a S&D match with my freinds because it won't let us and I don't even know when the lobby leader is searching because it doesn't even say it on the screen. I'm going to wait a little bit longer, but if things don't get better I'm going back to MW2.

Sealda

Banned
Actually the netcode for Black Ops resembles COD4. They are both very sharp in the feel and sometimes it feels like there is this weird sharp delay in gunfights. That was never the case with MW2 where it was always smooth. In COD4 and BO i feel that the Frames drops very irregular and almost aggressively. You never get that smoooooooth framedrop but rather this super fast choppy that you only notice in that it just feels bad and scary...

If MW2 had like a smooth wave coming in when it was framedrop time. Black Ops got like "irregular shooting machine gun that basically shoots full auto just that its not in a specific tempo but rather...kinda uneven" which makes it very frustrating. I play on PS3 and i must say technically Black Ops have had the worst launch yet. Its just, really bad. MW2s only problem during launch was balance issues and like 1-2 day where the server was down. The Black Ops problems are more severe, its actual code that feels fucked and the constant fame drops are horrible. Now i am not talking about the obvious smooth wave framedrop.

I am talking about this frame drop that not everybody notices. I feel myself that i am super sensitive to frames per second and i cannot stand a 30 fps FPS any more. one thing is sure, it affects almost every gun fight and it affects me with rage and frustration...

Also, are the hit marks worse in this game? Just feels bad too. Now, i have almost 2.0 KDR, its not like i play bad its jsut that i play really fucking uneven and its because of the netcode...

RedStep

Jack Scofield said:
I just had an amazing match. My party wasn't broken apart, the game was running smooth, no lag, and I could actually HEAR enemy footsteps. I had absolutely zero deaths from the cheap-as-hell RC cars, and not once did I see a highly offensive emblem. The graphics even looked a lot better than I remembered, and the sound design struck me as phenomenal.

But then I stopped playing MW2 and played some Black Ops. What a mess Black Ops is.

Is-This-Real-Life.jpg

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I've decided I hate this game and have zero reason to give it the time or patience to get good at it. If I need a COD kick I still have MW2.

Main reasons, weapons feel crap. I feel like none of the weapons I have available to me are as good as the higher level weapons who are raping me everytime even when I get the drop on them. Usually in games if I have a firepower weakness I rely on sneaking around and outwitting enemies to get me results but in this that doesn't work so well cos the weak weapons are so lame and guys move so fast that to get in range and pack enough bullets into a guy is incredibly hard/risky.

I really really resent the fact that I have to buy weapons too. In MW2 every rank up or whatever was like opening a present - ooh what weapons do I get now and how do they feel? In this I work 'hard' to save up and then spend it blindly on a weapon which might turn out to be lame or not suit me at all. Same with the attachments. I then wonder about what else I could have spent it on. It also means I dont give weapons the time or attention they deserve to master them. MW2 paces your progression through the weapons and your progress depends on your proficiency with each one, quickest way to rank up was to do all challenges on available weapons.

I havent studied them enough to really talk about map design, but I will say that it feels like some areas are impossible with certain weapons. Like it feels like there was noway I could have avoided some of the deaths I had. In MW2 if I died with the FAL I would know that I should have backed off and hid somewhere with a vantage point whereas the maps don't seem as good for that here.

There was one point on nuketown where the spawn system got confused and it was spawning both teams on the same side of the map and it was utter chaos as we kept spawning right into the other team who would just mow us down. I never once got spawn camped in MW2.

Assassin's Creed here I come.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
SquirrelNuckle said:
It shouldn't take half a clip to take out a RC car. They also shouldn't be able to go up steps, what RC car can do that? This game is just a mess. I can't even join a S&D match with my freinds because it won't let us and I don't even know when the lobby leader is searching because it doesn't even say it on the screen. I'm going to wait a little bit longer, but if things don't get better I'm going back to MW2.

It's got some issues yes, but MW2 is far more of a mess.

snap0212

SquirrelNuckle said:
It shouldn't take half a clip to take out a RC car.
Hmm. Maybe lag? I've no scoped them a couple of times. Maybe it's because they've been hit by a sniper bullet, but it seemed almost always possible to let them explode before they come too close.

Jack Scofield said:

Modern Warfare 2 was a disaster when it launched on the 360. Black Ops is a heck of a lot more stable.

Are you really going to call out BLOPS killstreaks for being cheap when you cite MW2 as the gold standard?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
kaizoku said:
I've decided I hate this game and have zero reason to give it the time or patience to get good at it. If I need a COD kick I still have MW2.

Main reasons, weapons feel crap. I feel like none of the weapons I have available to me are as good as the higher level weapons who are raping me everytime even when I get the drop on them. Usually in games if I have a firepower weakness I rely on sneaking around and outwitting enemies to get me results but in this that doesn't work so well cos the weak weapons are so lame and guys move so fast that to get in range and pack enough bullets into a guy is incredibly hard/risky.

I really really resent the fact that I have to buy weapons too. In MW2 every rank up or whatever was like opening a present - ooh what weapons do I get now and how do they feel? In this I work 'hard' to save up and then spend it blindly on a weapon which might turn out to be lame or not suit me at all. Same with the attachments. I then wonder about what else I could have spent it on. It also means I dont give weapons the time or attention they deserve to master them. MW2 paces your progression through the weapons and your progress depends on your proficiency with each one, quickest way to rank up was to do all challenges on available weapons.

I havent studied them enough to really talk about map design, but I will say that it feels like some areas are impossible with certain weapons. Like it feels like there was noway I could have avoided some of the deaths I had. In MW2 if I died with the FAL I would know that I should have backed off and hid somewhere with a vantage point whereas the maps don't seem as good for that here.

There was one point on nuketown where the spawn system got confused and it was spawning both teams on the same side of the map and it was utter chaos as we kept spawning right into the other team who would just mow us down. I never once got spawn camped in MW2.

Assassin's Creed here I come.

You're just terrible. The beginning weapons are just as effective, quit blaming the game for how bad you are.

I put in some time in the merc playlist. Definitely improved on finding games. Lag seems a bit better also.

I'll try the party stuff later this evening and see if that is any better.

ZZMitch

snap0212 said:
Hmm. Maybe lag? I've no scoped them a couple of times. Maybe it's because they've been hit by a sniper bullet, but it seemed almost always possible to let them explode before they come too close.

No, RC Cars are one hit kills with any bullet I believe. They just go so fast, that you gotta shoot where it will be not where it is, lag makes it real hard to hit.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
ZZMitch said:
No, RC Cars are one hit kills with any bullet I believe. They just go so fast, that you gotta shoot where it will be not where it is, lag makes it real hard to hit.

I still think jammers should disable them.

Jack Scofield said:

MW2's matchmaking was just as broken in the first 2-3 weeks. Hell, every Call of Duty game has had terrible matchmaking the first month. Even the darling CoD4 had huge problems two months after launch.

Patch just fixed all the enemy footstep noise.

You can report offensive emblems and people are getting banned for them.

But you have fun with your camping for Tactical Nukes, OMA/DC Tubers, and MLC Tac-Knifers.

demolitio

Alienshogun said:
You're just terrible. The beginning weapons are just as effective, quit blaming the game for how bad you are.
I prestiged already just to show my friend that the early weapons are just as deadly. They all have their pros and cons but he was blaming the weapons for getting owned when he hasn't played a COD game before. It's like they expect to do well right off the bat when they're used to CS. :lol

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Alienshogun said:

No, I'm getting evens K/D ratio most the time and then I'll have one game where I'm like 2 for 12. Stop pretending every possible game flaw is user error.

Game design 101, its never the gamer's fault, ok? I'm a gamer, I love games, I spent money on this game, if I dont enjoy a game its the game's fault, not mine.

Plus I can play games I suck at and still find them enjoyable. Irrelevant point and I guarantee when you go into any game almost no one uses the m16 or the other early weapons if they had a chance to upgrade. I'd say that was conclusive.

Compare to MW2 where the SCAR and FAMAS and almost all early guns are still extremely popular if not the most popular.

So stop being an internet douche and hating on people because they want to give their opinion on a game thread. Adds nothing to the discussion. If you want to debate weapon effectiveness please do, but dont just come out and say "you just suck".

What's with the 3v3 games? Also just played a game that started as that then the next 3 people all went to the same team so it was then 6v3 for almost the entire game. stupid.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
kaizoku said:
No, I'm getting evens K/D ratio most the time and then I'll have one game where I'm like 2 for 12. Stop pretending every possible game flaw is user error.

Game design 101, its never the gamer's fault, ok? I'm a gamer, I love games, I spent money on this game, if I dont enjoy a game its the game's fault, not mine.

Plus I can play games I suck at and still find them enjoyable. Irrelevant point and I guarantee when you go into any game almost no one uses the m16 or the other early weapons if they had a chance to upgrade. I'd say that was conclusive.

Compare to MW2 where the SCAR and FAMAS and almost all early guns are still extremely popular if not the most popular.

So stop being an internet douche and hating on people because they want to give their opinion on a game thread. Adds nothing to the discussion. If you want to debate weapon effectiveness please do, but dont just come out and say "you just suck".

The enfield is just as good as any of the other assault rifles, the M16 is arguably the best if not one of the best rifles, same goes with all the other "starter" weapons. An "even" K.D ratio isn't good. Get better.

By your logic if you sucked at any game and hated it, it would be the games fault.

You're simply a terrible gamer, and looking for any reason to explain away how terrible you are. It's called a self serving bias, and you're a textbook example of it.
If anything is wrong with the game it's lag and spawns not the weapons.

Erasus said:
Wow so much hate here. Forgotten how shitty MW2 is?

But Treyarch really need to patch the PC version...

Honestly who cares. These threads are for rubbernecking. I liked MW 2.

But I rarely bothered to post in the thread here because everybody wanted to tell me it was the worst thing ever.

The grass is always greener. Whatever the masses are playing instantly becomes the worst thing ever made.

I know its crazy but its possible to actually like both of them for different reasons. I'm preferring Black Ops a bit more because of how its balanced is more to my liking but even then there are some things about MW 2 I prefer.

It's actually possible to be a reasonable person without an extreme opinion to either side.

Sealda

Banned
Must add, right now i rank the games like this in terms of first how they felt when they were released

1. COD 4
2. MW2
3. Black Ops
4. W@W

and like this in terms of what i want to play right now

1.Black Ops
2.MW2
3. COD4
4. W@W

and then the overall score

1. COD4
2. MW2
3. Black Ops
4. W@W

also some launch points

When MW2 launched, nobody complained about gun imbalance. It was first after like 2-3 month we started hearing how the 1886s raped but you never heard of any other gun imbalances. I would say though a few guns were OP

1. UMP raped everybody.
2. ARs (excluding FAL and F2000) raped everybody but the UMP
3. Intervention and Barrett owned everybody when they were looking at another direction but where owned everytime they came in a Mano a Mano gunfight unless the sniper were lucky enough to get a no scope or use the G18s akimbo (omg)...

The real shitty imbalance was the Kill streaks circus and the noobtube 1ma.

In COD4 there were a few guns that raped everybody

1. M16A4 (brr brr brr...dead)
2. P90 and MP5 (half the COD4 community ran with Mp5 just like half of MW2s community ran with MP5)
3. AK47 with ACOG or without attachments (otherwise it was technically downgrade in dmg.)

My guess of the best guns in Black Ops.

1. Mp5k and Ak74u.
end of story. These 2 will dominate and in 2 months 50 % of the community will run with the AK74 or the Mp5k.

Worst offenders in Black Ops
The snipers. end of story.

Aggrotek

Sealda said:
1. Mp5k and Ak74u.
end of story. These 2 will dominate and in 2 months 50 % of the community will run with the AK74 or the Mp5k.
I refuse to jump on the bandwagon. Stoner63/Galil for me; forever. <3

:lol , this game is superior in every way to Modern Warfare 2. I really pity people that feel they have to go back to that wacky, funtime game. Its your choice hope you come back after this title gets ironed out. Enjoy the nonsense.

Manus

Anerythristic said:
:lol , this game is superior in every way to Modern Warfare 2. I really pity people that feel they have to go back to that wacky, funtime game. Its your choice hope you come back after this title gets ironed out. Enjoy the nonsense.

Enjoy getting shot in the back from bad spawn points. I'll take my MW2 crazy killstreaks and noob tubing anyday over bad spawn points.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
SquirrelNuckle said:
Enjoy getting shot in the back from bad spawn points. I'll take my MW2 crazy killstreaks and noob tubing anyday over bad spawn points.

If you play matches not in nuketown the chances of that drop off significantly, although it still happens from time to time, but it happens in MW2 from time to time too.

SquirrelNuckle said:

I don't see a difference between getting shot in the back and getting tubed from across the map while a chopper gunner kills whatever is left of you. You die equally fast, yet one can be patched.

Top Bottom