• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

Manus

Red Blaster said:
RC-XD = noobtube now? That's a false equivalency if I've ever seen one. MW2's issue was that combined with OMA and Danger Close, a good player was literally unstoppable with a grenade launcher as showcased in the Wings of Redemption video. The RC-XD is horrible and further promotes selfish gameplay, but it's at least a killstreak and cancels out more beneficial ones that a smart player would use such as the Spy Plane. A guy can't stay in one area of the map and continuously spam an RC-XD like they can with a nade launcher in MW2.

Lol wat? I've had around 8 RC-Cars saved up before and just used them one right after the other. That's not spamming them? With the perk you can pull off a RC Car with just 2 kills. Really easy killstreak to spam.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
aku:jiki said:
When I fire at people in Black Ops, they don't die. When I fire at them in MW2, CoD4 and WaW, they do.
But unless you have a bad connection, the people you are shooting at have the same problem.

SquirrelNuckle said:
Lol wat? I've had around 8 RC-Cars saved up before and just used them one right after the other. That's not spamming them? With the perk you can pull off a RC Car with just 2 kills. Really easy killstreak to spam.

But you'd still have to go out and get those kills as the killstreaks don't stack anymore. In MW2 I can stay in one area and shell the hell out a point in Domination while constantly reloading with OMA while also spamming any saved up killstreaks. Not to mention, you're completely defenseless when controlling an RC car. As much as RC-XDs are a pain in the ass, OMAtubes are even worse.

NYR

The remote control car is not a noob toob, I'm dissapointed that it is even being discussed in that manner.

Not only do you have to earn the killstreak, there is a chance for the opposing team to stop it by shooting it. The truth is, most people don't shoot or aim for it if it isn't going to hit them or drives by them.

Further, if someone is using the remote control car, I would prefer that killing one person over using stacked killstreaks to get a chopper and dominate the game.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
bobs99 ... said:
To be fair, the early weapons are AWEFUL, I saw your post about the imbalance in the early weapons being bad and I agree, the later guns are MUCH more fun to use.

Eh, I disagree, the starting weapons are far from awful, I still prefer the Enfield most of the time, and the M14 is also a relatively early weapon as well.

NYR said:
The remote control car is not a noob toob, I'm dissapointed that it is even being discussed in that manner.

Not only do you have to earn the killstreak, there is a chance for the opposing team to stop it by shooting it. The truth is, most people don't shoot or aim for it if it isn't going to hit them or drives by them.

Further, if someone is using the remote control car, I would prefer that killing one person or using stacked killstreaks to get a chopper and dominate the game.

Not to mention flak jacket prevents death from it more often than not.

VaLiancY

Toss a flashbang or stun grenade(if you have one) at the RC-XD.
Watch the RC-XD spin out of control.
Haul ass or shoot it.
Laugh when that person could have had an UAV instead.
??????
Profit.

Eh I have come to the conclusion that sniper rifles suck, not played with them much but when I have trouble taking out someone at range while they just iron sight me with their ak74u and kill me, something is wrong :( and i'm not talking about laying there in a shower of bullets, he did like two bursts from the rocket launching area to somewhere near that spawn on the A side, why does an smg beat a sniper so quickly? :(

Had some fun with balistic knifing people using the motion sensor though, might have not helped the team but I had fun for a few matches, still in this game if you want the kills you need a gun which is good I suppose.

I've lost a lot of interest in this games multi, it's not grabbed me like mw2 did. Lag and respawn problems are the biggest offenders.

Stallion Free said:
Galil. It gets better with a silencer.

This is what I love about this game - and more so because mw2 had some pretty distinct 'class leading' weapons. I find the galil amazing with a reflex scope. As soon as I put a supressor on it, it's a bucket of shit. In fact the only ar's I can use with a silencer is the m16 (my favourite gun) and the famas (I think the fire rate helps). That being said I think the galil is the best non suppressed gun in the game. Opinions and variety is what makes this game great - at least while everyone is experimenting a trying guns/perks/attachments.

Also does anyone find the famas nearly useless? It's great at short-mid range no doubt but it feels more like an smg with it's fire rate and I'm always out of ammo by my 3-4th kill

Najaf

Stallion Free said:
Galil. It gets better with a silencer.

I disagree. That extra bullet required is a big difference for me. I don't mind the suppressor on the Galil, but I never run with it. Extended mags for life.

Mileena

Banned
Najaf said:
I disagree. That extra bullet required is a big difference for me. I don't mind the suppressor on the Galil, but I never run with it. Extended mags for life.
Same but noob tube instead of extended mags. I don't feel like any of the attachments for ARs help me at all so I just scrub it up with the tube on Galil/AK.

VaLiancY

Stripper13 said:
This is what I love about this game - and more so because mw2 had some pretty distinct 'class leading' weapons. I find the galil amazing with a reflex scope. As soon as I put a supressor on it, it's a bucket of shit. In fact the only ar's I can use with a silencer is the m16 (my favourite gun) and the famas (I think the fire rate helps). That being said I think the galil is the best non suppressed gun in the game. Opinions and variety is what makes this game great - at least while everyone is experimenting a trying guns/perks/attachments.

Also does anyone find the famas nearly useless? It's great at short-mid range no doubt but it feels more like an smg with it's fire rate and I'm always out of ammo by my 3-4th kill

If you have a FAMAS in a long range firefight, you're at a disadvantage. But I do agree you see a lot more variety in the weapons among players. I prefer the AUG as my go to assault rifle, I haven't unlocked the Commando or AK-47 yet and I looked forward to using them.

Nizz

.nimrod said:
I still wanna play it though :lol
But thanks for the tip!
I'm just mad pissed at the performance on ps3, it feels like it's 2007 all over again with all those horrible ports back then -.-
This is one of the biggest issues for me right now. I'm liking the gameplay in Black Ops. For the most part, I'm dying from other people's guns instead of other stuff. But god damn the framerate can get rough sometimes on PS3. Jungle and Firing Range are two maps that to me are notorious as far as framerate.

But I've also been on the map Summit and if someone calls in air support (Napalm, Huey) and that air support smashes the roof of areas in that map the framerate seems to go to at least 15fps. No bullshit. So disappointing...

What the fuck? We're not allowed to have opinions or a bad experience with a game you like?

When I fire at people in Black Ops, they don't die. When I fire at them in MW2, CoD4 and WaW, they do. All the games games have their share of bullshit; I thought Black Ops would be our saviour, but honestly, the RC-XD is basically an enhanced noobtube. The end result of both is that suddenly you blew up with no idea why and no real chance of defending yourself, and both happen all the fucking time. They took away the Commando perk, but now everybody teleports 20 feet when they knife instead. All of this shit, and more, is present in MW2, but at least they fucking die when I shoot at them there. That's all I want. My solution is to not play Black Ops right now. How is that a problem for you?
I gotta agree. It's like they took out Commando in name only but I swear people are still stabbing me from too far of a distance to me. Last night on WMD, an enemy was on the landing of these set of stairs. He wasn't at the top of the second set, he was at the landing between sets.

I was at the bottom of the first set of steps, there are probably three steps. Dude stabbed me from the landing and it somehow connected to me at the bottom of the stairs. Bullshit... Playing a wager match of one in the chamber, I happened to be the last kill and sure enough, watching the killcam he seemed too far away to have been able to connect. Even one of the other players said "yeah, that was too far to have been a kill."

I have my fingers crossed that Treyarch can do something about this and the bad performance on PS3. This is my first Treyarch COD title and I'm pretty disappointed in the performance. And it's obviously a step back because from what I've seen and heard, W@W was great as far as MP performance on PS3.

Jack Scofield said:
I just had an amazing match. My party wasn't broken apart, the game was running smooth, no lag, and I could actually HEAR enemy footsteps. I had absolutely zero deaths from the cheap-as-hell RC cars, and not once did I see a highly offensive emblem. The graphics even looked a lot better than I remembered, and the sound design struck me as phenomenal.

But then I stopped playing MW2 and played some Black Ops. What a mess Black Ops is.

lol you're complaining about the RC cars being cheap? MW2 has... One Man Army w/ Noob Tube, Light Weight / Commando / Marathon builds, and the cheapest fucking kill streaks that added to your next kill streak. You pretty much had to get like 5 kills in MW2 and then could hide in a corner and ride that shit to a nuke. MW2 was broken as all fuck. Black Ops is much better.

And btw, MW2 had all kinds of matchmaking issues when it launched. It also had offensive emblems (to some people). Black Ops just allows you to put dicks on everything, and I commend Treyarch for that.

J-Rzez

Alienshogun said:
To be fair, the GAME is awesome. What sucks is the community abusing mechanics.

Mechanics that the developer put in there and had to just know that people are going to abuse?

As far as I'm concerned with this whole debate, both Treyarch and IW are bad with the MP stuff. In fact, the only thing that still boggles me is why people still buy up this stuff after they know it's going to be a tragedy online. Hell, I usually buy these, but after MW2 I got wise enough to gamefly CoDs anymore at least.

Actually that's not the only thing that boggles me, as I'm still not sure why these "highly anticipated-highly successful" games are released in the states that they're in. Seriously, for how much money these games make them for whatever reason, you'd think they'd put at least a fraction of the profits into their next title to address these things.

BUT, then again, how else will Bobby get people to "pay monthly" CoD fees soon? "For $14.99 get an overall better online experience to the game, think, less lag!".

Smokey

VaLiancY said:
If you have a FAMAS in a long range firefight, you're at a disadvantage. But I do agree you see a lot more variety in the weapons among players. I prefer the AUG as my go to assault rifle, I haven't unlocked the Commando or AK-47 yet and I looked forward to using them.

AK and Commando are somethin' serious. I was on a 16 game win streak yesterday in FFA using either of these. After one of my game winning kills a guy who had been in the same game with me for awhile (who was a 40 something) asked if the gun I was using was the AK. I say yep.

He buys it and next round he's just destroying everything and all I keep hearing through the mic is "holy shit, why didn't I use this earlier?!"

:lol

It's to the point now where the AK makes the game almost too easy IMO.

Sealda

Banned
Smokey said:
god i hated mw2, what a shit mp game.

You think those videos existed after 1 week?...Ofc black ops will have tons of these videos sooner or later. Although i think Treyarch will be more active in the patching than IW were. Feels like IW experienced quite the turmoil the months after the launch, i am sure they did not give a shit about patching more than the absolute essentials...

I would pay 12 usd a month for a COD Online that updated just like WoW. Not just small updates but bigger updates like new guns, removed guns etc. Just a more dynamic and fluent system than todays system of new completely revamped game each year where everything have been switched out and all stats been twisted but made with the same engine but every time with tons of glitches and shit

Cobra84

While the RC car isn't a real threat and is less helpful than the spy plane, it is annoying and easily spammed. I see so many of the damn things it feels weird not having one driving around.

Flak Jacket does make the car nearly worthless.

VaLiancY said:
The FAMAS is just as good any of the full auto assault rifle at range, if not better. Same shots to kill and light, easily controlled recoil.

There may be variety, but there shouldn't be. Anyone not using the AUG, FAMAS, or the Stoner for a fully automatic weapon is picking the wrong weapon.

Smokey

I don't find the RC's to be that big a deal really. Most of the time I'm able to shoot them before they get to me. Spy plane is infinitely more useful than RC.

If you want to know the kill streak combo that is ridiculous (and what I use in FFA):

Spy Plane (2 kills)
Counter Spy Plane (3 kills)
Turret (5 kills)

combined with Hardline, Slight of Hand Pro, and Second Chance Pro

It's crazy how efficient and powerful that setup is. There are multiple times when I have just stacks of spy planes and counter spy planes rolling in since nobody likes to shoot shit down in FFA (except me apparently).

Najaf

Alright. Stats time people.

How many times have you died from a sniper rifle?

Go to player card, then tab over to weapon stats, then deaths by.

Out of ~1300 deaths, less than 20 have been from sniper rifles.

Perhaps they were nerfed just a tad too much.

I suppose it does not help that the only suitable levels for sniping seem to be WMD, Havana and Jungle. [and Array] ;-)

Smokey

Najaf said:

Perhaps they were nerfed just a tad too much. I suppose it does not help that the only suitable levels for sniping seem to be WMD, Havana and Jungle.

Array is a good sniping map too.

The G11 is nuts. It's mid range scope is awful though.

On second thought, maybe I was using it wrong. Can you hold your breath with it? I remember trying but I could have been clicking the wrong stick.

I'd also like to add Nova Gas and Tactical insertion are pretty amazing for the objective based modes. I was almost a one man team with those things.

Weenerz

Banned
I rarely use my RC-XD during my killstreak run, I'll either save it till I die, or just blow it up a few feet away from me. Since it doesn't add to my killsteak meter, I don't really care to use it. And since there are tons of spy planes up, I don't see much reason to pick that one either.
Tkawsome said:
The G11 is nuts. It's mid range scope is awful though.

On second thought, maybe I was using it wrong. Can you hold your breath with it? I remember trying but I could have been clicking the wrong stick.

I'd also like to add Nova Gas and Tactical insertion are pretty amazing for the objective based modes. I was almost a one man team with those things.

Use it without the scopes, it's much better and more accurate. I hated how much the mid-range scope danced around and since you can't focus it with holding breath, it was just pointless to use it.

Sealda

Banned
Holy shit, i just watched the greatest domination game ever!

Its Wings Of Redemption and the title is actually "The Greatest Domination Game Ever!" Its 12 mins long but its worth it!

If competitive COD looked like this i would definitely watch it a la Star Craft
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLnPQi0Qrfw

Also RC Car Tunnels! wow:O really funny , like Micro Machines http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxtFwkRUeh8

Basically in Nuke Town you can drive outside the fucking map , around it all and get to their spawn! This often applies to most maps! :O! +1 Treyarch

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
SmokeMaxX said:
Dash Kappei said:
OP's lacking, or maybe I'm blind... I know about the retarded decision to ditch offline multi with bots and that you need to be online with Gold even to play vs bots, what I'm asking is if your guest is required to have GOLD too if you want to play Combat Training vs bots in 2 players split-screen mode, or is the console owner's GOLD sub sufficient for both?
Can't find a definitive answer and my game's still wrapped.

Do help, please :)
You only need it for one account.

Cheers.
At least we have that.
But I've been playing the campaign tonight and... ugh. :-/
Game's not good at the moment ( third mission)... I thought this one was going to be the best campaign ever for a COD game, instead they completely fucked up the level design. Hopefully multiplayer will make up for it. I'm in the minority but I loved MW2 campaign... and muiltiplayer, if it wasn't so full of exploits to be nearly unplayable after the first month or so.

aku:jiki

Anerythristic said:
What builds do you use?
I always switch everything because I'm always completing challenges and always prestiging, but ideal kits?

Marathon/SP/Ninja UMP45 & SPAS or Marathon/SP/Ninja TAR/Striker in MW2
Ghost/SoH/Marathon AK74u/LAW or Ghost/SoH/Marathon Galil/Pythons in BO

Suppressors on everything (but the shotguns derp).

Anerythristic said:
I don't have this issue. I consistently finish top three on my teams and because of this am not stressed out and probably don't even care if I suffer a "cheap" death now and again. I come from a world where EVERY death was cheap in MW2
Congratulations on being Captain Awesome, bro. :lol

NYR and like 85 other people who can't read entire posts said:
Oh come on, my post even clarified that I mean this: it is similar to the noobtube in that you unexpectedly explode, die and lose your killstreak suddenly and without warning. It is also similar in that it took next to no skill for the user and in how popular and frequent it is. I did not mean that it affects the way the enemy strategizes, navigates or engages in combat. I also meant that, to me, it really doesn't matter if I blow up from a little car or a grenade that detonates on impact. I die either way. Does GAF understand yet? :lol

Holy shit, discussing the game on GAF is as frustrating as playing it!

That loadout sounds evil Smokey. Definitely going to try it!

I think I've died less than 10 times to a sniper.. Maybe got 1 or 2 kills with the PSG1 on objective games..

The G11 is unstoppable in hardcore matches. Seriously..

EDIT: 30 seconds is way too long for the RC. Personally I'd like it to be five kills also, given that it's basically a ground based predator.

I think what I get more annoyed about with that bloody thing is that ruins the team ethic (in before the lol you play with randoms malarky) when playing most games. You can't rely on someone elses UAV anymore because the stupid RC is on a 3 kill streak.

Hell, just bump it up to 4 and I'd be happy...

Smokey

MarshMellow96 said:
That loadout sounds evil Smokey. Definitely going to try it!

I think I've died less than 10 times to a sniper.. Maybe got 1 or 2 kills with the PSG1 on objective games..

The G11 is unstoppable in hardcore matches. Seriously..

I guarantee you'll beast with that load out (Codenamed: Beast) :D

Once you get your first Spy Plane it's ova. Now you can see where they are and it's easy to get 1 more kill for the Counter - Spy plane (remember this is with Hardline on). So now not only can you see where they are but they can't see you because you have Counter-Spy plane up. Get 2 more kills for the turret.

Now not only can you see where they are, invisible on their radar, but you have a turret that you can set down in a specific spot where you know a lot of action is happening (because of your spy plane).

Rinse repeat. Yesterday I also had games where I had multiple turrets set up during the match just murdering people.

aku:jiki

So here's a link for GAF... Black Ops quickscoping montage by M40A3 Predator. :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vcyl9QteQ38&feature=sub

Smokey said:
So now not only can you see where they are but they can't see you because you have Counter-Spy plane up. Get 2 more kills for the turret.
How about 4 more for the Blackbird? If you die and then launch tbe SR71, the damn thing lasts long enough to get you a new one, netting you some more counter time on the way. Sound pretty unstoppable for FFA. :lol

Najaf said:

Perhaps they were nerfed just a tad too much.

I suppose it does not help that the only suitable levels for sniping seem to be WMD, Havana and Jungle. [and Array] ;-)
Yup out of all my games I have been killed two times by sniper rifles, nerf was to hard but not only that, I think that maps are way to small for snipers the way they want snipers to play currently.

Alienshogun said:
To be fair, the GAME is awesome. What sucks is the community abusing mechanics.

I don't see any way for "mechanics" like akimbo secondaries that are stronger than primaries, heart beat sensors, One Man Army, stacking killstreaks, game ending killstreaks, Commando, etc etc to be abused. They are there for people to use and that's what they do. If IW didn't want you to camp your ass off and use your predator to unlock a harrier and use that harrier to unlock your AC130 then they wouldn't have stacked killstreaks. If they didn't want you to unleash a barrage of noob tubes they would have made OMA limited in use, especially after so much complaining. If they didn't want you to lunge up flights of stairs, around corners, or across rooftops with Commando then they wouldn't have programmed it that way.

The community is just playing the game IW designed. They simply designed a shitty, unbalanced game.

Smokey said:
I guarantee you'll beast with that load out (Codenamed: Beast).

:lol Awesome.

I can just imagine the other guys shitting their pants because they don't know what's going on..

EDIT: On snipers: could they patch out that scope sway?

Dresden

I think sniping is pretty fine right now, it's just the initial scope-in sway that's the problem--and that gets cut down with the variable zoom. Otherwise, life is good as a sniper. I get chopper gunners pretty easily so long as the map accommodates it--I'm not going to be sniping in something like Launch, Havana or Radiation, for example, while Jungle or Array are incredible sniping maps.

Keikaku

Enough is enough. Last night, I emailed Steam customer support and asked for a refund/store credit for Black Ops. I just got an email asking me to confirm that I want the game removed from my account and to regain store credit. I'm going to take it.

The performance of this game has been far less than acceptable, through no fault of my computer or connection. When I do get into matches, it's barely playable and being even remotely competitive has become impossible. I've never in my life purchased such a terribly optimized/tested piece of software at launch. Looks like I was a fool to get caught up in the hype. Sure, the game may be better balanced than Modern Warfare 2 was at launch but at least MW2 runs fine on my computer.

Maybe once the Christmas sale rolls around, I can purchase the original Modern Warfare for PC. Until then, I'll just play MW2 or something else.

If you guys are able to have a good experience with this game, more power to you and I hope you have fun. As for me, the game runs so poorly that I can't play for shit.

Smokey

So here's a link for GAF... Black Ops quickscoping montage by M40A3 Predator. :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vcyl9QteQ38&feature=sub

How about 4 more for the Blackbird? If you die and then launch tbe SR71, the damn thing lasts long enough to get you a new one, netting you some more counter time on the way. Sound pretty unstoppable for FFA. :lol

I tried throwing the BlackBird in the loadout. I got it a few times, but I found what I listed earlier (Spy, CounterSpy, Turret + Hardline, Sleight of Hand Pro, + Second Chance Pro) to be way more effective. The spawns in here can be suspect and you never know when Treyarch will decide to spawn someone behind you for no reason. I won 16 FFA games in a row last night with this loadout (+ AK47 w/ silencer) before going to bed.

Some randoms played with me for a lot of those games to and even some Friend Requests to me. I had people in the room puzzled as to what tha fuck was going on. It was amazing:lol

poppabk said:
But unless you have a bad connection, the people you are shooting at have the same problem.
"Well, the game's been out for a week and a half now but don't worry, it doesn't for anyone else either."

Sealda said:
Although i think Treyarch will be more active in the patching than IW were.
The MP40 in WaW says otherwise.

Najaf

Smokey said:
I tried throwing the BlackBird in the loadout. I got it a few times, but I found what I listed earlier (Spy, CounterSpy, Turret + Hardline, Sleight of Hand Pro, + Second Chance Pro) to be way more effective. The spawns in here can be suspect and you never know when Treyarch will decide to spawn someone behind you for no reason. I won 16 FFA games in a row last night with this loadout (+ AK47 w/ silencer) before going to bed.

Some randoms played with me for a lot of those games to and even some Friend Requests to me. I had people in the room puzzled as to what tha fuck was going on. It was amazing:lol

My FFA killstreaks are Blackbird, Chopper Gunner, Dogs. Once I hit the Blackbird, it's game over. Last night was my first 30-0. Usually my matches are around 30-5.

Top Bottom