• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

Levi

Banned
Spent days waiting for a turret on the enemy side so I could go Ghost Pro, and then I disable two turrets in two consecutive matches. <3

Right now I'm running Ghost Pro/Second Chance Pro/Sleight of Hand Pro. Might switch over to Ninja Pro to check it out post-patch. 2nd Chance is just so baller, though.

Manus

Trumpet909 said:
I don't see a difference between getting shot in the back and getting tubed from across the map while a chopper gunner kills whatever is left of you. You die equally fast, yet one can be patched.

Cold Blooded took care of being shot by crazy air support. If you play smart it's quite easy to avoid being noob tubed. Kind of hard to prevent from being killed from behind from bad spawn points. Their's nothing you can do about it.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Jack Scofield said:
I just had an amazing match. My party wasn't broken apart, the game was running smooth, no lag, and I could actually HEAR enemy footsteps. I had absolutely zero deaths from the cheap-as-hell RC cars, and not once did I see a highly offensive emblem. The graphics even looked a lot better than I remembered, and the sound design struck me as phenomenal.

But then I stopped playing MW2 and played some Black Ops. What a mess Black Ops is.

:lol

I just hated MW2 for the nukes really. damn kids boosting in free for all plus using tactical insertion

J-Rzez

Mr. B Natural said:
All games have lag but both cod4, waw and mw2 never had issues that BO has.

Both Cod4 and MW2 have the best...BEST matchmaking system and netcode in gaming today that mitigated bullet lag to a minimum.

I'll agree that BO has even more issues than any of the other CoD's, but that bolded part is absolutely insane as CoD's have some of the worst matchmaking and netcode in gaming, especially for a hugely successful franchise in which the developers would have the money from the profits to put into way better netcoding and/or servers. But they didn't, they went on the cheap and riped off specially PS3 and PC gamers big time. It's brutal how bad the game performs specifically on the PS3. There's no excuse for a game like this to lag like it does, 12 players and it lags like this? Really, in this day and age of MP gaming?

SquirrelNuckle said:
Enjoy getting shot in the back from bad spawn points. I'll take my MW2 crazy killstreaks and noob tubing anyday over bad spawn points.

I already said enjoy the nonsense.

I'll take a difficult spawn anyday over over MLC Knifers/AA12ers, OMA, Commando, killstreak stacking , massive weapon imbalances, stopping power ,tube rain, quick scopers etc. etc.

They really should just add flying in that mess, why not, just let em fly and tube.

SquirrelNuckle said:
Cold Blooded took care of being shot by crazy air support. If you play smart it's quite easy to avoid being noob tubed. Kind of hard to prevent from being killed from behind from bad spawn points. Their's nothing you can do about it.

How do you smartly avoid a grenade coming from across the map that explodes instantly?

Dresden

Spawns aren't even that much of a issue if you play bigger maps. Screw TDM, that mode is always shit, go do Ground Wars and you don't even need to worry about Nuketown. More targets=more killstreaks=more pewpewgunners.

Stakeout is a fucking beast, grip+sleight of hand pro makes it the pseudo-MW2 Spas-12. Reliably owning SMG users with a shotgun made me smile. The other shotguns still feel shit, though--the Olympia is a nerfed double barrel, the Spas hits like a baby.

AnEternalEnigma said:
You're delusional. MW2 was just as terrible as Gears of War 2 when it came to bullet lag. Bullets haven't been following me around corners in Black Ops like MW2 100% of the time. I can actually get to cover now when I get shot.

I'm not delusional at all. And this is a sequel to mw2 and cod4. It should have IMPROVED more consistent frame rate and improved netcode. They may improve the netcode over time, but the framerate is the framerate and that framerate fucks up lag immensely. When the host can't hold 30 frames then nobody is.

Getting shot around corners by the way isn't bullet lag, it's pure lag. It's called client side hit detection - you get hit if the person that shoots the bullet says you do. If he lags and sees you a brief second after you actually showed up and hits you when he sees you (after you technically left his line of sight in your game), you die. Bullet lag is when YOUR bullets don't hit the target when you point the gun at someones head and pull the trigger. See: Gears of War. Such a thing has never happened in COD history because that's really only suppose to happen with host side hit detection. The whole point of client side hit detection is to fix such a frustrating problem with online gaming. The fact that it's in this game doesn't even make any sense.

Red Blaster said:
Let's revel in more MW2 nostalgia!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVp022Hlg8g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlX83DcQdZ0&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XSaHxDJaWo&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziSCrNeCHBc

DERP

Black Ops has its own problems but there's been a few clowns in this thread who like to pretend MW2 isn't a goddamned circus.

I will never tell anbody what they can and cannot enjoy. I really want them to just admit its not bullet lag.

I want them to simply admit they enjoyed the nonsense and probably had excellent stats using the games for a lack of a better term "exploits."

belvedere

Junior Butler
Really digging BOPS but I'm not feeling most of the maps like a lot of you guys are. MW and MW2 had some great, distinguished maps. There are a couple like that in BOPS, but most just aren't as memorable.

Glad to hear that footsteps are actually loud now, it was like everyone had ninja since launch, time to go play and patch after a few days of not feeling like playing.

Think I will have some fun tonight, lightweight with marathon and balistic knife :lol or maybe ninja if it works better.

Red Blaster said:

DERP

Black Ops has its own problems but there's been a few clowns in this thread who like to pretend MW2 isn't a goddamned circus.

What you're seeing here is the equivalent of lag - the same "shot around corners" lag. This happens. It happens. The question is to what extent and how often.
ANd btw, 3 out of 4 of those kills weren't even bullshit. Guys hiding the corner and getting stabbed or in last stand hiding and getting shot through walls. Woaah, if it wasn't for the lag, you would gotten stabbed .25 seconds later. Derpa derpa is right.

And considering the lag is so god awful in BO, everyone has Commando lite on half of the time. Whether you'll zoom into the enemy or not is completely determined outside your choice. Hell you can stab someone and run right through them now without hitting him in BO. That's fun.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
NinjaFridge said:
Can't believe it, they actually made the lag worse.

:/

What is your connection? Also, you probably just got paired with some shitty connection.

I know there is some TU's coming along to resolve player issues accordingly.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
g35twinturbo said:
What is your connection? Also, you probably just got paired with some shitty connection.

I know there is some TU's coming along to resolve player issues accordingly.

My connection has actually been decent these last few days but i'm just after playing a some matches and i got so many shitty deaths it was unbelievable. Empty half a magazine into a guy, get killed by 4 bullets from him, and then he runs off.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Anerythristic said:
I already said enjoy the nonsense.

I'll take a difficult spawn anyday over over MLC Knifers/AA12ers, OMA, Commando, killstreak stacking , massive weapon imbalances, stopping power ,tube rain, quick scopers etc. etc.

They really should just add flying in that mess, why not, just let em fly and tube.

Erasus

Mr. B Natural said:
What you're seeing here is the equivalent of lag - the same "shot around corners" lag. This happens. It happens. The question is to what extent and how often.
ANd btw, 3 out of 4 of those kills weren't even bullshit. Guys hiding the corner and getting stabbed or in last stand hiding and getting shot through walls. Woaah, if it wasn't for the lag, you would gotten stabbed .25 seconds later. Derpa derpa is right.

And considering the lag is so god awful in BO, everyone has Commando lite on half of the time. Whether you'll zoom into the enemy or not is completely determined outside your choice. Hell you can stab someone and run right through them now without hitting him in BO. That's fun.

No, watch the one man army, danger close, noobtube video.

Is there anything that broken in BO?

snap0212

Anerythristic said:
I really want them to just admit its not bullet lag.
codlag-oooolbrk.gif

Sorry for the sloppy gif, but as you can see I'm definitely nowhere near his head and still got the kill. That's probably more of a problem with the hit detection, though... right?

Erasus said:

No there isn't. Plus we haven't had anything like the same number of irritating glitches which would then multiply when IW attempted to patch them. Auto stinger rockets anyone?

Najaf

So many complaints of 'waiting' for a turret to get ghost pro.

Solution:

1. Equip turret killstreak.
2. Play FFA
3. Earn Turret
4. Hide in a corner and call in turret
5. Let enemy take turret
6. Follow enemy until he plants the turret.
7. ????
8. Profit

.nimrod

The PS3 version really is a broken mess, it crashes on me at least 3-5 times each day.

How the fuck can a game where you get to see weird checkerboard patterns in the menu, out of memory messages in theater mode, lots of crashes and a horrible framerate get through certification?
It should've never been released in this state.

I want my money back :(

snap0212 said:
Sorry for the sloppy gif, but as you can see I'm definitely nowhere near his head and still got the kill. That's probably more of a problem with the hit detection, though... right?
You shot when you were still in the initial sway where the bullet goes to a random spot on your screen. You were just lucky, it's basically like a noscope.

Erasus said:

OMA Noobtubing was THE issue of MW2 and I am glad they fixed that. Of course there was the piece of equipment that did mitigate danger close, but nobody used it.

Not sure why you went to that OMA thing when I was talking lag, framerate and hit detection, but this is Gaf so whatever.

Watch only if you've played through the game:

Hudson's badassery

My wife was watching when we got to that part of the game and we both laughed. So ridiculous but you know an entire team of people (writer, animators, etc) thought it was so cool.

Najaf

Neuromancer said:
Hudson's badassery

My wife was watching when we got to that part of the game and we both laughed. So ridiculous but you know an entire team of people (writer, animators, etc) thought it was so cool.

Might want to throw a spoiler on that. ;-)

Edit: whoops. Didnt see the title.

snap0212

.nimrod said:
I want my money back :(
You can actually get it back (probably)

1) Wait until Treyarch release the first DLC for the game. Treyarch usually forces you to buy their DLC if you still want to play online. If you don't buy it you'll still get into lobbies with people who bought it. Shortly before the game starts you'll get kicked.

2) Write an angry mail to Activision and complain about it

3) Get e-mail back from Activision that you can return the game if you want to

4) Return it and get your money back!

I still have the e-mail from Activision where they apologized for that and told me that it'd be no problem to return World at War if I want to. :lol

demolitio

snap0212 said:
Hard to tell by the gif, but you're extremely inaccurate if you shoot right as you go into scope mode to the point where it doesn't land anywhere close to the crosshairs unless you wait a second.

SquirrelNuckle said:
Enjoy getting shot in the back from bad spawn points. I'll take my MW2 crazy killstreaks and noob tubing anyday over bad spawn points.

MW2 had a terrible spawning system as well. Play Scrapyard and tell me it's spawning system is good.

Red Blaster said:
Videos....
The last video you posted was so telling too. The OMA tubing started small but just got more and more ridiculous. Note the video was posted in January and it was already becoming popular but people had those abusive classes from day 1.

Maybe I've been lucky so far, but I really haven't experienced tons of lag when playing, but on the other hand I've also gone solo as the party stuff just wasn't working.

Also the only map that really annoys me for the spawns is Nuketown which ironically just gets voted on. I just back out when that game comes up in the rotation now because I know I'll just get pissed by being shot in the back all the time or alternately feel like a douche for doing the same to others.

Mr. B Natural said:
OMA Noobtubing was THE issue of MW2 and I am glad they fixed that. Of course there was the piece of equipment that did mitigate danger close, but nobody used it.

Not sure why you went to that OMA thing when I was talking lag, framerate and hit detection, but this is Gaf so whatever.

Blast Shield did not protect from a Danger Close tube. That's a lot of why it was never used.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Neuromancer said:
Watch only if you've played through the game:

Hudson's badassery

It was less baddass in my game where he switched to glasses on and holding an AK47 in an instant in an earlier cutscene and then switched back and froze.

AnEternalEnigma said:
MW2 had a terrible spawning system as well. Play Scrapyard and tell me it's spawning system is good.
Spawns were fine in scrapyard if you had a clue how to play the map. For a small map almost the size of nuketown it's about as good as it gets for a crazy game fast paced game with insta spawns.

And if scrapyard is the worst then that kinda proves the other person's point.

Blast shield divided the damage of the noobtube the same as danger close btw. It mitigated danger close multiplier EXACTLY.

kodt

Banned
I think one of the biggest issues with COD is that the maps are just designed for too many game types. You have Dominations, S&D, TDM, FFA and no matter the game-type you are getting shot in the back and running into areas where you can get shot from 15 different windows.

Playing COD makes me realize how much I miss CS map design. The maps are designed for a specific mode and you only play that mode on that map. Your spawn point is safe, and you know where the enemy spawns and where the initial choke points are going to be.

Bomb sites have 3 entrances (typically) so it is manageable to defend. There are never too many paths into one room. I feel like the maps allow you to be more strategic and use teamwork as opposed to COD where it always feels like a clusterfuck where fast running and gunning is almost always the best option.

edit: Basically you can play CS in such a manner that if you ever get shot in the back it is either your own or your teams fault. In COD you are going to have someone spawn behind you and shoot you in the back and there is nothing you can do about it.

Frillen

Why the heck are there people who has like over 50000 kills on the leaderboards already? I don't really understand the leaderboards. One of my friends is a level 41 non prestige and he already has over 75000 kills!? Please explain... (just started playing the game online)

.nimrod

snap0212 said:
You can actually get it back (probably)

1) Wait until Treyarch release the first DLC for the game. Treyarch usually forces you to buy their DLC if you still want to play online. If you don't buy it you'll still get into lobbies with people who bought it. Shortly before the game starts you'll get kicked.

2) Write an angry mail to Activision and complain about it

3) Get e-mail back from Activision that you can return the game if you want to

4) Return it and get your money back!

I still have the e-mail from Activision where they apologized for that and told me that it'd be no problem to return World at War if I want to. :lol
I still wanna play it though :lol
But thanks for the tip!
I'm just mad pissed at the performance on ps3, it feels like it's 2007 all over again with all those horrible ports back then -.-

Btw, from looking at your gif i take it you're also playing on ps3 and german as well? I need some more people from GAF to play with, so feel free to add me :) My PSN ID is DrColossus

kodt said:
I think one of the biggest issues with COD is that the maps are just designed for too many game types. You have Dominations, S&D, TDM, FFA and no matter the game-type you are getting shot in the back and running into areas where you can get shot from 15 different windows.

Playing COD makes me realize how much I miss CS map design. The maps are designed for a specific mode and you only play that mode on that map. Your spawn point is safe, and you know where the enemy spawns and where the initial choke points are going to be.

Bomb sites have 3 entrances (typically) so it is manageable to defend. There are never too many paths into one room. I feel like the maps allow you to be more strategic and use teamwork as opposed to COD where it always feels like a clusterfuck where fast running and gunning is almost always the best option.

edit: Basically you can play CS in such a manner that if you ever get shot in the back it is either your own or your teams fault. In COD you are going to have someone spawn behind you and shoot you in the back and there is nothing you can do about it.

Higher level COD play with actual teams played more like this but more fast paced. You're not gonna find that in matchmaking though and you're not gonna find it in BO until they have the spawns fixed. Even sandy ravage plays this game with a strange sense of hesitation.

lol @ anyone preferring the broken mess of a clusterfuck that is MW2.

Red Blaster said:

DERP

Memories :lol

Broken spawns in Black Ops > Broken Spawns in MW2, knife runners, Commando, One Man Army, Modern Airfare, HBS, Nuke, Stacking Killstreaks :D

Najaf

Frillen said:
Why the heck are there people who has like over 50000 kills on the leaderboards already? I don't really understand the leaderboards. One of my friends is a level 41 non prestige and he already has over 75000 kills!? Please explain... (just started playing the game online)

Leaderboards are glitched on some stats.

SquirrelNuckle said:

Really? I find the concept that someone would prefer to spawn under numerous killstreak insta-kills, or near (but not next to) an insta kill tuber or an insta kill quickscoper, very hard to believe.

I started playing mw2 well after the patches and only had to experience some care package glitching. Black ops feels nearly identical. I have the same issues (but not more) with lag, bullet 'missing' and deaths where I felt I escaped behind a wall etc with black ops as I did with mw2. The spawns vary between awesome and atrocious with some particularly bad maps that terrible players who are looking for easy spawn camping or killstreaks, consistently pick. It's not really an issue given there is no significant penalty for quitting so leaving a nuketown or summit lobby is a non issue. At least it's patchable and being acknowledged and worked on as we speak.

I guess all I'm saying is that despite a few maps that break an already flawed spawning system - the game experience is the same. To make up for it (and heavily improve over mw2) is that there is no bullshit so far. No crazy weapons, no crazy killstreaks, no abusable tactics/perks that the community as a whole is aware of. Regardless of if that shit appears later down the track, there's a far better chance of being patched and watched than infinity wards pathetic efforts

aku:jiki

Anerythristic said:
I will never tell anbody what they can and cannot enjoy. I really want them to just admit its not bullet lag.

I want them to simply admit they enjoyed the nonsense and probably had excellent stats using the games for a lack of a better term "exploits."
What the fuck? We're not allowed to have opinions or a bad experience with a game you like?

When I fire at people in Black Ops, they don't die. When I fire at them in MW2, CoD4 and WaW, they do. All the games games have their share of bullshit; I thought Black Ops would be our saviour, but honestly, the RC-XD is basically an enhanced noobtube. The end result of both is that suddenly you blew up with no idea why and no real chance of defending yourself, and both happen all the fucking time. They took away the Commando perk, but now everybody teleports 20 feet when they knife instead. All of this shit, and more, is present in MW2, but at least they fucking die when I shoot at them there. That's all I want. My solution is to not play Black Ops right now. How is that a problem for you?

LabouredSubterfuge said:
Auto stinger rockets anyone?
I've played like 1000 hours of MW2 and I have no idea what you mean? There was a Javelin glitch for like 2 weeks at launch...

aku:jiki said:
When I fire at people in Black Ops, they don't die. When I fire at them in MW2, CoD4 and WaW, they do. All the games games have their share of bullshit; I thought Black Ops would be our saviour, but honestly, the RC-XD is basically an enhanced noobtube. The end result of both is that suddenly you blew up with no idea why and no real chance of defending yourself, and both happen all the fucking time. They took away the Commando perk, but now everybody teleports 20 feet when they knife instead. All of this shit, and more, is present in MW2, but at least they fucking die when I shoot at them there. That's all I want. My solution is to not play Black Ops right now. How is that a problem for you?

1233928590_citizen%20kane%20clapping.gif

RC-XD = noobtube now? That's a false equivalency if I've ever seen one. MW2's issue was that combined with OMA and Danger Close, a good player was literally unstoppable with a grenade launcher as showcased in the Wings of Redemption video. The RC-XD is horrible and further promotes selfish gameplay, but it's at least a killstreak and cancels out more beneficial ones that a smart player would use such as the Spy Plane. A guy can't stay in one area of the map and continuously spam an RC-XD like they can with a nade launcher in MW2.

jkanownik

Popped in MW2 and it's playing just fine. Very first guy I see, I get ample time to react and shoot him even though he's looking right at me. I got the exact feeling I wanted, the one I never get in BO -- like the confrontation was fair for both parties. :D

Of course, joining a game and spawning into a Predator while there's a chopper and two harriers in the air was...less fun.

Please, guys, don't be condescending. I've played a ridiculous amount of CoD, and I still play all of them daily, I don't need a tutorial for dummies to how they are. I can pop in any of them right now, and Black Ops will be the worst experience because of the bullet lag.

What's really killing me is that BO would be the best one if the latency was on MW2 levels (which in my experience is the least laggy CoD, though I didn't play the ones before 4). :( :(

How many bars are you getting and what local time are you playing? I'm finding that the quality of connections on three bar games can vary widely and that the ratio of four to three bar games increases dramatically in the evening from 6PM-12AM.

I don't have an issue with MW2 because there aren't as many people staying up late to play it.

What the fuck? We're not allowed to have opinions or a bad experience with a game you like?

When I fire at people in Black Ops, they don't die. When I fire at them in MW2, CoD4 and WaW, they do....

Ok...so go play it. Enjoy the "gunplay" that game offers. What builds do you use?

When I fire at people in Black Ops, they don't die.

I don't have this issue. I consistently finish top three on my teams and because of this am not stressed out and probably don't even care if I suffer a "cheap" death now and again. I come from a world where EVERY death was cheap in MW2

Sealda

Banned

I've played like 1000 hours of MW2 and I have no idea what you mean? There was a Javelin glitch for like 2 weeks at launch...

This, this and this!......
This

Its not random people. Its the truth. Some people are elite enough to notice that bullets are missing because of drop of frames and lag. I feel it really a lot! Which means that when i go 20-1 it means some other poor guy got that lag that game...also esthetically its horrible with the framedrops. Also i think this is not game mechanics but lag in the netcode which means that not everyone are as effected as some.

To be fair, the early weapons are AWEFUL, I saw your post about the imbalance in the early weapons being bad and I agree, the later guns are MUCH more fun to use.

Top Bottom