• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

MarshMellow96 said:
I've enjoyed the game on Veteran so far, but that is just daft. And they expect you to get two as well? Fuck. Please tell me there's a checkpoint after doing one (there isn't).

Woods did a good job of the first one while everyone was shooting at me - why can't we just defend him while he does the other two?
How the hell do you even find out that you have to move the barrels...? I just got to a checkpoint on hardened after shooting my way down. I never knew about the barrels.

Edit: well, just noticed you succeeded. Well done.

Always-honest said:
How the hell do you even find out that you have to move the barrels...? I just got to a checkpoint on hardened after shooting my way down. I never knew about the barrels.

I didn't get a checkpoint but you've only got to get one of them. I just ran up to the barrels and it said 'kick'.. The game wasn't exactly explicit with what you were meant to do though.

There's always something like this in a COD game, isn't there? At least for me anyway...

The TV studio in 4, D-Day on 2, Favela on MW2 was annoying too.

I don't feel good about doing it either. Just broken...

MarshMellow96 said:
I didn't get a checkpoint but you've only got to get one of them. I just ran up to the barrels and it said 'kick'.. The game wasn't exactly explicit with what you were meant to do though.

There's always something like this in a COD game, isn't there? At least for me anyway...

The TV studio in 4, D-Day on 2, Favela on MW2 was annoying too.

I don't feel good about doing it either. Just broken...
seriously, veteran will ruin your ride. Unless you make it till the end, then you will feel godlike.
MW2 veteran was the right difficulty imo. But Treyarch makes it riddiculous.(imo)

Hanmik

and btw.. you know something is wrong with the connection if you play 5 Wager matches one night. And the next day you recieve a message that you have recieved 3000 COD-points, because the games couldn´t be finished. That´s for the 1000 points wager matches. So 3 out of 5 matches couldn´t be finished due to connection issues..

I really like the core game. Wager matches, killstreaks etc. are great, but the netcode, connection issues and party issues kills the fun in the game..

LordAlu

I was playing HQ earlier today and some guy was completely beasting the other team. By the end he was something like 69-7, with two Attack Dogs and two Huey's called in! He did pretty much the same next game too.

Watching him during my downtime after I inevitably died, he didn't seem particularly any better than most other players, just all his shots were coming off. I should have paid more attention to his loadout to see what he was using coz he destroyed everyone.

Edit: I've given up on Veteran in the tunnels under the base on Executive Order. Fucking infinite enemies down a long tight corridor. :mad:

JB1981

Always-honest said:
i had no idea about those barrels. That level ruined my veteran run. I'm extremely happy to play on hardened, now the game is fair.

haha me too! i think a big part of the problem is the Woods barks orders at you but you can hear what his words get drowned out by the war going on around you.

aku:jiki

Always-honest said:
yeah, don't go there.
Having like 40% of the map be "yeah, don't go there" territory is pretty much the definition of a bad map, dude...

JB1981 said:
Nah. I have played the COD franchise and online multiplayer games enough to know the difference. There is something fucking broken about the netcode in this game. I am completely familiar with your typical "cod lag" and this is not it. It's much worse.

Although I have not actually ruled out the fact that I could, indeed, suck. LOL
No, buddy, nobody cares if you're an actual avid FPS fan who plays FPS games daily. The casual players of GAF who play each iteration of CoD for exactly one month after its release and reach level 35 or so have decided that those of us who never stopped playing the games and still play them daily don't know anything about them, and that they're the experts and we're the noobs who can't play. :lol

Jubbly

Always-honest said:

The AI fellow yells something, though I admit it's hard to hear over the explosions and gunfire.

This seems weird to type out because I am a self-admitted 360 fanboy, but I actually bought the PS3 version of this game. My brother-in-law has the 360 version and I played a couple hours worth of Domination last night(we take turns handing off the controller after each round). Then when I got home last night I spent maybe another 1 1/2 hours playing the same stuff on my PS3 version.

I gotta say I much prefer my experience on the PS3. I obviously realize it's all anecdotal, but I just found that on the 360 there was WAY more campers and surprisingly a LOT of tubers. Also noticed that on the PS3, at least a guy or two would usually be helping me out with attacking the air support, but on the 360, nothing. I mean, I'm used to it from MW2 of course, but it really had a different feel to it between the two systems. It's funny too because it wasn't even my account I was playing on the 360, but I just felt my anger rising with guys just "living" as I like to say in certain spots. When I played Domination or Ground War at home afterwards, I just found people actually seemed to play more like a team.

I still prefer the Live experience and the integration of things, but I'm glad I went PS3 this time.

JB1981

BigBlue1974 said:
This seems weird to type out because I am a self-admitted 360 fanboy, but I actually bought the PS3 version of this game. My brother-in-law has the 360 version and I played a couple hours worth of Domination last night(we take turns handing off the controller after each round). Then when I got home last night I spent maybe another 1 1/2 hours playing the same stuff on my PS3 version.

I gotta say I much prefer my experience on the PS3. I obviously realize it's all anecdotal, but I just found that on the 360 there was WAY more campers and surprisingly a LOT of tubers. Also noticed that on the PS3, at least a guy or two would usually be helping me out with attacking the air support, but on the 360, nothing. I mean, I'm used to it from MW2 of course, but it really had a different feel to it between the two systems. It's funny too because it wasn't even my account I was playing on the 360, but I just felt my anger rising with guys just "living" as I like to say in certain spots. When I played Domination or Ground War at home afterwards, I just found people actually seemed to play more like a team.

I still prefer the Live experience and the integration of things, but I'm glad I went PS3 this time.

You're not the only one to have noticed this.

JB1981 said:
Nah. I have played the COD franchise and online multiplayer games enough to know the difference. There is something fucking broken about the netcode in this game. I am completely familiar with your typical "cod lag" and this is not it. It's much worse.

Although I have not actually ruled out the fact that I could, indeed, suck. LOL

You seem to be complaining about lag, which may be valid, idk as I have had nothing but great experiences with latency, but I was referring to the people crying about Second Chance.

Seep

I think the update made it worse for me. I got my arse handed to me last night. pre patch I had no such problems.

I'll try again tonight and see if I just had bad luck.

hamchan

Always-honest said:

Barrels bit is the worst part of the whole game. It's messed up because when you reach the 3rd level down, they show Woods knifing the barrel and kicking it down but they don't force the player to see that at all, so the player is just left confused. I only got past that part after 10 minutes because I was lucky enough to see Woods do that.

th3dude

Can anyone on the 360/PS3 confirm last nights fixes?

11/18
· Improvements to the spawn system to resolve an issue where negative spawn influencers from specific game events were not always being deleted after the danger had cleared – in some matches, this was causing good spawns to be erroneously flagged by the game as bad spawns, which in turn forced actual bad spawns to get selected later in the match
· Experimental slight reduction in knife lunge range – this is a trial change
· Prevention of Prestige glitching – trying to prestige from Combat Training will reset your stats but not give you prestige

I'm so excited by this (and the title update) and would love to hear some feedback. I haven't been able to play the last few nights.

Also, why no talk about this in this thread?

http://www.callofduty.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=313362&sid=01bfnfart7l9jrhekllv6n7uq3

Geoff9920

sn1pes said:
Can anyone on the 360/PS3 confirm last nights fixes?

I'm so excited by this (and the title update) and would love to hear some feedback. I haven't been able to play the last few nights.

Also, why no talk about this in this thread?

http://www.callofduty.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=313362&sid=01bfnfart7l9jrhekllv6n7uq3
Played some headquarters last night, but I didn't notice any significant improvement in spawns. There were still instances of me spawning directly next to 4 other people from the other team or them spawning directly behind me immediately after I spawned. I don't remember having too many issues with spawns in domination though.

Played a few rounds of this in my friends house the other night. Didn't care for it at all. I'm still playing Bad Company 2 and Don't think CoD multilayer can touch it. That said, I never played MW2 multilayer but thought the campaign and Spec Ops was pretty sweet. Black Ops campaign on harder difficulties looked like muck. That is all.

aku:jiki said:
Having like 40% of the map be "yeah, don't go there" territory is pretty much the definition of a bad map, dude...
well, that is the challenge in that map. Not bad, just designed for you to figure out how to deal with it.

tuco11

Does Black ops have any kind of offline multi? Just wondering if there is 4 player split scren versus? Or is it only 2 player split screen in which you need system link for additional players.

thanks!

snap0212

Another feature that's missing from the PS3 version:
I don't know if you've seen it on JD_2020's Twitter, but there apparently is an option to have the multiplayer menu boot up instead of the main menu (saves time). He announced it as one of the features we didn't know about. Link

194993430gqm0.jpg

Guess what? Not available on the PS3. Don't know about PC, though.

Sorry if old.

snap0212

jonnybryce said:
I don't ask anything of you except that you watch this 27 second video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlAawHlBWRY

I am very fond of BO. But this kind of shit happens so many times in so many games I play. 3 clean shots, he lives. He shoots the wall next to my leg and I die in one shot.

In what world.
HAVEN'T YOU READ??? YOU JUST SUCK AT THIS GAME!!!!1111 :lol

Seriously, this happens to me all the time too. Hit detection doesn't work at all. They need to fix this. :(

snap0212 said:

This morning I quietly admonished myself for getting annoyed that I had to hit "down, then A" to start the multiplayer on 360. Then I saw this on the Twitters and got excited, and quickly disappointed in myself.

Drastic

>Are there invincibility frames when people go into last stand?

Yep, for a second.

Also >I die in one shot.

You were already hurt, so it wasn't one shot.

bobs99 ... said:
Are there invincibility frames when people go into last stand? That seemed to indicate there are.

I guess so. There has to be a moment where they're vulnerable from damage because I spammed that trigger before, during, and at while he was in 2nd chance and nada!

snap0212 said:
HAVEN'T YOU READ??? YOU JUST SUCK AT THIS GAME!!!!1111 :lol

Seriously, this happens to me all the time too. Hit detection doesn't work at all. They need to fix this. :(

:lol 3 shots to the chest, nothing. Then this kills me! THIS:
eZl0D.png

buy teh haloz said:
What's so weird about that? It looks like you hit him before he hit the ground.

The fact that 4 M14 shots won't kill you but a pistol shot to the wall next to me kills me is what's wrong. I shoot him AGAIN when he's on the ground (see his sight turn bloody) but instead the game decides to grant him an extremely generous kill over my my 4 precise-as-hell shots.

jonnybryce said:

I am very fond of BO. But this kind of shit happens so many times in so many games I play. 3 clean shots, he lives. He shoots the wall next to my leg and I die in one shot.

In what world.

I've noticed this too. Good video demonstrating it....there is always a "dead period" between taking someone down and then actually being able to finish the job when they're in last stand.

Drastic

Again, there is ONE SECOND INTENTIONAL INVINCIBILITY with the second chance perk.

That is how it works, as designed.

Typical BS complaint about how the game is "broken."

buy teh haloz said:
What's so weird about that? It looks like you hit him before he hit the ground.

Really?

Drastic said:
Again, there is ONE SECOND INTENTIONAL INVINCIBILITY with the second chance perk.

That is how it works, as designed.

Typical BS complaint about how the game is "broken."
but him shooting 5 ft to the right is not "broken"

I think shotguns should be secondary weapons.

One thing I will say is that MW2 did seem to be a 'bigger' game. Almost every gun was used effectively and shotguns as secondary weapons seemed to add more depth.

Black Ops is the better game but this CoD train has at least one big stop left in it. Gamers will be clawing at the bit to get back to modern combat, and I think IW will find a way to bring back some of the depth and excitement of MW2 while retaining the balance of something like Black Ops.

Geoff9920

snap0212 said:
Another feature that's missing from the PS3 version:
I don't know if you've seen it on JD_2020's Twitter, but there apparently is an option to have the multiplayer menu boot up instead of the main menu (saves time). He announced it as one of the features we didn't know about. Link

http://www.abload.de/img/194993430gqm0.jpg

Guess what? Not available on the PS3. Don't know about PC, though.

Sorry if old.
PC, the multi is a separate executable. Not an issue.

jonnybryce said:
I guess so. There has to be a moment where they're vulnerable from damage because I spammed that trigger before, during, and at while he was in 2nd chance and nada!

:lol 3 shots to the chest, nothing. Then this kills me! THIS:
eZl0D.png

The fact that 3 M14 shots won't kill you but a pistol shot to the wall next to me kills me is what's wrong.
Last Stand/Second Chance has always made you invincible until you hit the floor, ever since COD4. And it looks like you were already badly damaged when he shot you.

Raiden

Banned
jonnybryce said:

In what world.

By the look of your screen you are in terrible health, a person who flies into last stand has 1hp, by the looks of it you may have had like 10hp? A pistol shot does more than that. Also its not because the crosshair is aimed at a spot it is gonna be dead on, accuracy in last stand is fucked, he got lucky.

But im sure hit detection/lag has a great part in it too.

+if you're shot in last stand you can get a first bullet out extremely fast, you turn like crazy too.

Hanmik

cuevas said:
but him shooting 5 ft to the right is not "broken"

:lol the hitmarkers are all over the place in this game.. hitboxes are all over the place because of LAG and framerate issues.. I really cannot understand how people can live with shit like this..? is it because you are camping in a corner and do not move around the maps, so you never notice lag or framerate issues..?

Bullet spread, total luck.

did you not see the Screenshot he posted..? the hitmarker is IN THE AIR.. it´s not even on the player he kills..

Raiden

Banned
Hanmik said:
:lol the hitmarkers are all over the place in this game.. hitboxes are all over the place because of LAG and framerate issues.. I really cannot understand how people can live with shit like this..? is it because you are camping in a corner and do not move around the maps, so you never notice lag or framerate issues..?

If you're playing on Xbox 360 press the "back" button in the lobby, and set the search function to regional, i never ever have laggy matches, and no im not hosting most of them.

Anyone else having games crash to the lobby mid-match because of getting the 'too many disconnect paths' error? This happened a couple times to me last night.

Raiden said:
If you're playing on Xbox 360 press the "back" button in the lobby, and set the search function to regional, i never ever have laggy matches, and no im not hosting most of them.

I think "locale" is the exact word and I still get laggy games using that.

Raiden said:
By the look of your screen you are in terrible health, a person who flies into last stand has 1hp, by the looks of it you may have had like 10hp? A pistol shot does more than that. Also its not because the crosshair is aimed at a spot it is gonna be dead on, accuracy in last stand is fucked, he got lucky.

But im sure hit detection/lag has a great part in it too.

+if you're shot in last stand you can get a first bullet out extremely fast, you turn like crazy too.

I'm not saying I'm the best COD player in the world or that the game is garbage, but people seem to get "lucky" a lot and I remain a member of team last-stand-is-bullshit. I shouldn't have to wait for you to be ready to take more damage imo.

Drastic

Hanmik said:
is it because you are camping in a corner and do not move around the maps, so you never notice lag or framerate issues..?

I'm generally a rusher, so camping doesn't apply. I have had a few lag issues, usually with the host from another continent. I just leave and find another game.

Framerate issues I think once.

This game has been far more consistent for me than MW2 with regard to hit detection.

Over 2 days played.

Top Bottom