• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

aku:jiki

Drastic said:
Actually there is a delay when going into ADS before you get the accuracy benefit. Generally a quarter second or so. reference
Thanks for the link, hadn't gotten around to reading DenKirson yet. But why the hell did Treyarch add that? That's a terrible idea that at least slightly counteracts Sleight of Hand Pro! Why have a perk that lets me insta-aim if I don't get insta-accuracy?

Hope they take that out. Edit: The more I think about it, this might actually be the root of my problem with the game! I'm ADS:ing with Sleight of Hand and my shots go right past the guy as he hipfires and doesn't suffer the same issue... I die first because my aim has a delay on it?

Edit 2: Another thing, this gives the guy who's standing behind cover and ADS'ing at a door a much bigger advantage than he should have. Overall fucking terrible idea.

D4Danger said:
I'm sure it's old news but the hidden top-down zombie game is great. They should stick co-op in it and release it on XBLA.
There are much, much better top-down twin-stick shooters on both Live Arcade and in the Indie Games section already. You can get a few of them for less than $1. :D

aku:jiki said:
That's some of the most broken logic I've ever heard. Why would you ever waste 40% of your map design when you could actually design that space in interesting ways? Why would you waste resources and processing power rendering an area that's not meant to be used? That would be incredibly dumb.
they do that in other maps. I see no problem with making one area in a map extremely dangerous. Moving cross open space is dangerous in any map, but they concentrated all the open space in one road in this map.
It's there for variation and to give you a different challenge to work with. I don't see why that is dumb.. it's just not something you prefer playing on (me neither)

I'd still like them to make a map that is JUST open space. A box with nothing in it. Just 4 walls and a floor. Seems fun for a couple o matches.

belvedere

Junior Butler
PC version here, does anyone else experience the final kill came stuttering? Instead of slow mo, it's choppy stuttering. The game in general has been running fine but every single final kill cam is ruined by the choppiness.

Is this a bug?

Glowingmonx said:
Why did Treyarch add first person views from different players in Theater?. It's causing way too much drama.

Definitely to one-up Bungies theater in Reach. Same with the 30 second straight to Youtube. Two features that solidify BO's theater > Reach's.*

*Hopefully they fix in the feature to save files locally so we can save as many games as we want.

Drastic

Thanks for the link, hadn't gotten around to reading DenKirson yet. But why the hell did Treyarch add that? That's a terrible idea that at least slightly counteracts Sleight of Hand Pro! Why have a perk that lets me insta-aim if I don't get insta-accuracy?

Hope they take that out. Edit: The more I think about it, this might actually be the root of my problem with the game! I'm ADS:ing with Sleight of Hand and my shots go right past the guy as he hipfires and doesn't suffer the same issue... I die first because my aim has a delay on it?

Edit 2: Another thing, this gives the guy who's standing behind cover and ADS'ing at a door a much bigger advantage than he should have. Overall fucking terrible idea.

To be clear, I believe this is the animation time to go fully into ADS, which you will then get the benefit. SoH Pro halves the time.

Brian Fellows said:
I stopped using it because I rarely ever made it into the last stand position. I also kill people during the animation all the time.

Yeah, I think they fixed it in this iteration, but with the recoil on guns now you have to be pretty precise at distance and realize they went down, so it is sort of a free dropshot. I can see how it is super annoying, and I sort of hate it but at the same time, that's the point of the perk in the first place right?

I'm swear the pistol gets magic powers once you're in last stand though that gives lucky kills :p.

AK74u with rapid fire and grip is amazing. :D

Despite the "yes, that's obvious" logic, it's a hard habit to break...but if you walk back while shooting a guy that's close to you instead of running up with the mentality that closer=bigger target, you can usually kill them before they can lunge knife you.

So many times we've run towards eachother shooting and then one person simply knifes the other. (So many times it's been his knife -_-)

xxjuicesxx said:
Yea his crosshairs implied a leg or body shot could happen within that region sure it was lucky but it happened, the hit marker is always placed in the center of the screen...the fact you had jelly on your screen means you were already damaged I assume from a claymore that camper had down? You were probably weak and his one lucky pistol shot killed you. Sorry game made sense you lost.

That makes you think wtf bad hit detection, but its not! That's you failing to understand the way the game works.

:lol Showdown: Accurate M14 shot vs luckiest pistol shot evar. The system works!

eosos

Banned
jonnybryce said:
AK74u with rapid fire and grip is amazing. :D

Despite the "yes, that's obvious" logic, it's a hard habit to break...but if you walk back while shooting a guy that's close to you instead of running up with the mentality that closer=bigger target, you can usually kill them before they can lunge knife you.

So many times we've run towards eachother shooting and then one person simply knifes the other. (So many times it's been his knife -_-)

:lol Showdown: Accurate M14 shot vs luckiest pistol shot evar. The system works!
I personally use the suppressor instead of the grip with the ghost perk. It's great just running around the map unseen and killing everyone.

taku

taku said:
Fuck Zavvi! Seriously.. I pre-ordered this game and still haven't received it. The happy hype is starting to mutate into anger and frustration.
Same day as I'm about to give up, I get a package in the mail!

Game seems cool, but is barely playable what with all the stuttering and such. I tried a few fixes but was unsuccessful..
My friend told me his stutters disappeared after a recent patch, anyone else still having major stutter?

butts

Had a weird game last night where the entire time the framerate was in the 20s at best. I thought for a minute I pulled host but I was only at 3 bars as well. I dont know why I stayed but it never went away. Anybody else run into this issue?

Oh and that patch didnt seem to do shit, I felt the lag even worse than the night before.

belvedere said:
PC version here, does anyone else experience the final kill came stuttering? Instead of slow mo, it's choppy stuttering. The game in general has been running fine but every single final kill cam is ruined by the choppiness.

Is this a bug?

I get it too. I remember reading that Treyarch is aware of the problem and it might get fixed in todays patch.

Cornbread78

I finally got my copy last night and I can;t wait to log into it later tonight. Just a question though. Did the patch today make matchmaking and partys worse than before? I've heard it's pretty friggen bad for PS3 users right now.....

X26

Banned
Maffis said:
Sad to see it's already down to the same weapons, perks and equipment in MP. At least the call signs are different.

I'm confused, are you saying everyone uses the same stuff?

If so I have to laugh, because there's far more variety in what you see compared to say MW2 and even CoD4

luoapp

jonnybryce said:

It depends. Running away from an AR or LMG when holding an SMG is just as silly. It's all about the firing range.

Cornbread78 said:
I finally got my copy last night and I can;t wait to log into it later tonight. Just a question though. Did the patch today make matchmaking and partys worse than before? I've heard it's pretty friggen bad for PS3 users right now.....
On that note, does anyone have a link to the full notes for the update? (There was an update for the 360 version, too, right?) Thanks in advance.

.nimrod

My teammates would never take my care packages when i tried to get hardline pro, but they always do now that i have it -.-
And the time it takes for a teammate to grab a care package is definately too low, most of the time the other guy can grab it before i've changed the content and grab it myself. It's so damn annoying.

Because the existance of Last Stand, in itself, is not a part of the balance. Mmmhm.

Of course it is. You can cry about someone being able to go into Second Chance but at the same time you can run infinitely, detect enemy devices, move silenty, etc etc, because you use a different slot 3 perk. IIRC you said you rush and spawn lock. Not surprised at all to see you're not a fan of a perk like Second Chance. But just because it clashes with your play style doesn't mean it is broken or cheap.

BlinkGT

Look at this clip : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVm5ljf4I_w

Wtf ?

First hit screen :

Second hit screen :

Third hit screen :

One gun bullet from nowhere killed this poor guy, and it was not a headshot like you can see in this screens. With the M16, in the same match (4 green bars for almost everyone), i had to fire two or three burst to kill an enemy. I don't get anything with this game, seriously.

SmokeMaxX

BlinkGT said:
Look at this clip : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVm5ljf4I_w

Wtf ?

One gun bullet from nowhere killed this poor guy, and it was not a headshot like you can see in this screens. With the M16, in the same match (4 green bars for almost everyone), i had to fire two or three burst to kill an enemy. I don't get anything with this game, seriously.
I don't get it. He gets shot like 4-5 times. What's the issue?

Nizz

butts said:
Had a weird game last night where the entire time the framerate was in the 20s at best. I thought for a minute I pulled host but I was only at 3 bars as well. I dont know why I stayed but it never went away. Anybody else run into this issue?

Oh and that patch didnt seem to do shit, I felt the lag even worse than the night before.

Are you on PS3? I am and I downloaded a patch yesterday (23mb) and I honestly don't know what the hell it did. I was still getting disconnected after almost every match, there's still lag, and the framerate is still shitty.

BlinkGT

SmokeMaxX said:
I don't get it. He gets shot like 4-5 times. What's the issue?
Are the hit crosses on his body on the screens (and i took the closer bullets, trust me) ? No, this is just an exemple of the broken hit detection.

Minor but I didn't know this. There is an option in the MP options where you can make the game go directly to the multiplayer screen when you boot up. Kinda of cool.

Also Vonderhaar gave his most clear statement yet that they might be open to changing sniping whatever that may mean.

@DavidVonderhaar Could you please give the sniping community news as if you guys might be working or planning anything soon? Thanks Vahn!

@xRaveouSx We might change that. We discussed it today.

Care Package Bomb!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_GWu28Z3z8

My first upload from Theater to Youtube. Also first Youtube video ever!

I couldn't find many or any videos showing Hacker Pro and the enemy care package.

So here's me sabotaging the enemy care package on Summit. I did it a few times last night, and it's so awesome and hilarious when you get the chance to do it.

SmokeMaxX

BlinkGT said:
Are the hit crosses on his body on the screens (and i took the closer bullets, trust me) ? No, this is just an exemple of the broken hit detection.
I'm not sure if I'm understanding you. You can't tell where the hitmarkers are since the guy is getting shot AT not shooting at someone else.

snap0212

Stoney Mason said:
Minor but I didn't know this. There is an option in the MP options where you can make the game go directly to the multiplayer screen when you boot up. Kinda of cool.
clipboard01aoz7.jpg

aesop

Stoney Mason said:

Also Vonderhaar gave his most clear statement yet that they might be open to changing sniping whatever that may mean.

If they cave to the quick scope whiners, I'm so out.

X26 said:
I'm confused, are you saying everyone uses the same stuff?

If so I have to laugh, because there's far more variety in what you see compared to say MW2 and even CoD4
110% agree with you. I've got my personal favourite load-out, but I notice a huge amount of variety especially with the perks.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Cobra84 said:
Something is wrong with the hit detection. I've gotten a hit marker without a kill with the M14 in hardcore, that should never happen. I also had a perfectly aimed, close range M14 shot go through the head of a stationary target.

It's lag, not hit detection.

Anerythristic said:
I don't think thats it. The sniper rifles do need a slight damage adjustment. Quick scoping with their current power output would do nothing.

WHAT?!? They are 1 shot kills.

Alienshogun said:
WHAT?!? They are 1 shot kills.
The snipers? What game are you playing?

I've killed someone with one shot probably 3 times with a sniper. All the other times, it's taken multiple (read: 2 or sometimes even 3 shots) to kill someone.

kaizoku said:
No, I'm getting evens K/D ratio most the time and then I'll have one game where I'm like 2 for 12. Stop pretending every possible game flaw is user error.

Game design 101, its never the gamer's fault, ok? I'm a gamer, I love games, I spent money on this game, if I dont enjoy a game its the game's fault, not mine.

Plus I can play games I suck at and still find them enjoyable. Irrelevant point and I guarantee when you go into any game almost no one uses the m16 or the other early weapons if they had a chance to upgrade. I'd say that was conclusive.

Compare to MW2 where the SCAR and FAMAS and almost all early guns are still extremely popular if not the most popular.

So stop being an internet douche and hating on people because they want to give their opinion on a game thread. Adds nothing to the discussion. If you want to debate weapon effectiveness please do, but dont just come out and say "you just suck".

I pretty much use the MP5 and strictly MP5 (for whatever reason, I don't like the AK47U) and maintain around a 1.7 K/D and am level 36. I also used the Enfield quite a bit and still maintained a similar K/D. I agree the early guns can be a handicap, but its not a hard one to overcome.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
backflip10019 said:

I've killed someone with one shot probably 3 times with a sniper. All the other times, it's taken multiple (read: 2 or sometimes even 3 shots) to kill someone.

Quit shooting their feet.

:lol

Think about that for a second.

The guy, who is ALREADY ADSing at a door, waiting for you to walk through SHOULDN'T be at an advantage?

Maybe you should enter the room sweeping it in ADS, just a thought.

Also, you're still more accurate quicker when you ADS than someone without slight of hand pro. There's no valid complaint here.

snap0212

aesop said:
If they cave to the quick scope whiners, I'll turn into a whiner as well.
fixed that for you.

Sorry, but you don't seem to know what you're talking about. There was never anything wrong with quickscoping itself. It’s in almost every first person shooter (including the older games like Counter Strike) and has never been a problem for anyone. It became a problem when sleight of hand pro was introduced and everyone was able to learn it in a short amount of time. Yes, you still had to learn how to do it and it’s not as easy as some of you make it out to be. It was just easier than in other games (Call of Duty 2, for example). The aggressive auto-aim Modern Warfare 2 had combined with the sleight of hand made quickscoping something that it shouldn’t be: Pretty easy if you’re willing to invest some time (compared to what it is in other games).

Treyarch not only disabled quickscoping (which they didn’t), but they completely broke every sniper weapon in this game. And they know that. They know that even if you use them “how they’re meant to be used” it’s still broken. They know that their “like a real sniper” comment always was and forever will be nothing more than bullshit and that they’ve made a lot of people angry by gimping the sniper rifles. Not only quickscopers see that the rifles don’t work (at all), but everyone who likes to pick up a sniper rifle from time to time. If you’d also take the time to take a look at the good quickscopers you’d see that they’re not only good with a sniper rifle, but also good with pretty much every other weapon. Some of them are fantastic players. If you think that someone who doesn’t play well can just pick up a sniper rifle in Modern Warfare 2 and kick everyone’s ass, you’re dumb. Even in Modern Warfare 2 you still have to adapt and have to learn how to handle it.

X26

Banned
AHappyPanda said:
I pretty much use the MP5 and strictly MP5 (for whatever reason, I don't like the AK47U) and maintain around a 1.7 K/D and am level 36. I also used the Enfield quite a bit and still maintained a similar K/D. I agree the early guns can be a handicap, but its not a hard one to overcome.

I've played a ton and the MP5 is still one of my main weapons of choice, mp5+surpressor/ghost/steady aim is my stealth go-to class no matter what else I've unlocked

Overall one of the better things about theses games is that starting weapons aren't necessarly worse than what you unlock later

Najaf

backflip10019 said:

All the sniper rifles in the game are a one hit kill to the upper torso and head without a suppressor. The L96A1 extends the one hit kill area to the lower torso.

Test it in split screen or check out the numbers.

aesop

snap0212 said:

Quick scoping in MW2 was glitchy and exploited the auto aim. If you can pull the ADS trigger twice in rapid succession to get lined up on the enemy's center-mass without aiming, there is something horribly wrong with that. That's what I don't want to come back. Snipers should be at a disadvantage in CQC, that's the drawback of having a one shot weapon.

snap0212

aesop said:
That's what I don't want to come back. Snipers should be at a disadvantage in CQC, that's the drawback of having a one shot weapon.
They are, because they only have one shot. If they miss, they'll get killed. How is that not a disadvantage? Again: There's nothing wrong with quickscoping and there never will be anything wrong with it. The problem starts when you combine it with an aggressive auto aim and perks like sleight of hand pro. It's like your best friend and your wife. There's nothing wrong with either, but both of them together in one bed would probably be a problem for you.

edit: It's also not nearly as bad as you make it out to be. Especially this part "If you can pull the ADS trigger twice in rapid succession to get lined up on the enemy's center-mass without aiming, there is something horribly wrong with that." is just not true.

taku

Fuck this! Every time I get in a fire fight the game begins to stutter like crazy! I wish I could play this damn game.. :(

aku:jiki

Anerythristic said:
I don't think thats it. The sniper rifles do need a slight damage adjustment. Quick scoping with their current power output would do nothing.
Oh really?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vcyl9QteQ38

Alienshogun said:
:lol

Think about that for a second.

The guy, who is ALREADY ADSing at a door, waiting for you to walk through SHOULDN'T be at an advantage?
You really, really need to work on your reading comprehension. You see, skipping over words in other people's posts just so you can have an easier time making your point is considered a pretty lame way to debate.

I said "much bigger advantage," not "an advantage at all." Read, son.

aesop said:
If you can pull the ADS trigger twice in rapid succession to get lined up on the enemy's center-mass without aiming, there is something horribly wrong with that. That's what I don't want to come back.
Here's what you should do right now:

1) Boot MW2.
2) Open a private match, split screen, with a second controller.
3) Try to double-tap RT to snap to your stationary opponent.
4) Watch how your scope doesn't snap to him.

Having balance discussions is much easier when one side stops making shit up out of thin air, let me tell you.

aesop

snap0212 said:
They are, because they only have one shot. If they miss, they'll get killed. How is that not a disadvantage? Again: There's nothing wrong with quickscoping and there never will be anything wrong with it. The problem starts when you combine it with an aggressive auto aim and perks like sleight of hand pro. It's like your best friend and your wife. There's nothing wrong with either, but both of them together in one bed would probably be a problem for you.

I meant one shot kill. Most of the snipers in MW2 were semi-auto. You'd didn't have to manually load one into the chamber to get off the second shot.

snap0212 said:
fixed that for you.

Sorry, but you don't seem to know what you're talking about. There was never anything wrong with quickscoping itself. It’s in almost every first person shooter (including the older games like Counter Strike) and has never been a problem for anyone. It became a problem when sleight of hand pro was introduced and everyone was able to learn it in a short amount of time. Yes, you still had to learn how to do it and it’s not as easy as some of you make it out to be. It was just easier than in other games (Call of Duty 2, for example). The aggressive auto-aim Modern Warfare 2 had combined with the sleight of hand made quickscoping something that it shouldn’t be: Pretty easy if you’re willing to invest some time (compared to what it is in other games).

Treyarch not only disabled quickscoping (which they didn’t), but they completely broke every sniper weapon in this game. And they know that. They know that even if you use them “how they’re meant to be used” it’s still broken. They know that their “like a real sniper” comment always was and forever will be nothing more than bullshit and that they’ve made a lot of people angry by gimping the sniper rifles. Not only quickscopers see that the rifles don’t work (at all), but everyone who likes to pick up a sniper rifle from time to time. If you’d also take the time to take a look at the good quickscopers you’d see that they’re not only good with a sniper rifle, but also good with pretty much every other weapon. Some of them are fantastic players. If you think that someone who doesn’t play well can just pick up a sniper rifle in Modern Warfare 2 and kick everyone’s ass, you’re dumb. Even in Modern Warfare 2 you still have to adapt and have to learn how to handle it.

Pretty much this.

Remove the random sway in when you sight in. Keep the sleight of hand nerf. That's the first step in fixing sniping. You could also play around a bit with the aim assist on snipers but the first step is the more important fix.

aesop

1) Boot MW2.

Having balance discussions is much easier when one side stops making shit up out of thin air, let me tell you.

Traded that shit in a while ago.

Make believe is fun.

P.S. Would probably be a better experiment to have someone strafing with the second controller. Auto-aim isn't as strong against a stationary opponent.

snap0212

aesop said:
I meant one shot kill. Most of the snipers in MW2 were semi-auto. You'd didn't have to manually load one into the chamber to get off the second shot.
Every quickscoper I know used the Intervention, which wasn't a semi-auto weapon. I'd say it's the most used quickscope weapon in MW2. It'd also not be quick scoping if you scope in and the press the R1/Left Trigger over and over again.

Top Bottom