• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

Jarate

Banned
It's not a problem with gun on gun

I can destoy all these guys gun on gun

it's a problem of camping in a place and having a gun with no recoil basically.

Jarate said:

Won't running around always give you more kills than camping?

.nimrod said:
No.

If you want to play it for the 60fps experience, get the 360 version or the PC version if you have a quad core cpu. The PS3 version performs awful, it's more like Assassins Creed 1 on PS3 when it was released: The framerate is almost never at 60fps (feels like 20-30fps in mp), it crashes several times a day and on top of that is the lowest resolution of all versions (960x544).

A lot of people, myself included, are extremely disappointed since it's way worse than the last 3 games.

holy fucking shit, wow, no buy i guess. unless someone proves you wrong.

and you've got to be kidding me about the resolution, they actually downgraded it from COD4/WAW/MW2..? what??

Mileena

Banned
Jarate said:

Ironically, the AK74u has more recoil than all the guns you listed you use.

jedimike

Parallax Scroll said:
The only COD games I've played online are this and MW2, and I'm pretty crappy at both of them. I got my first ever 7 killstreak today, and I think my overall K/D is around 0.6. I'm not bad at shooters specifically; I rocked at CS and UT on the PC back in the day, and I used to be decent at Halo 3, but I've never really learned how to do well in COD. Are there any noob guides I should read?

I'm playing on 360 btw.
Imo, CoD is more about how cunning you are and less about how skillful you are. I'll admit, in a straight up match, I'd get my ass handed to me more often than not. However, in CoD, I can usually keep my k/d above 1.3. Not amazing, but good enough to keep me interested in the game since I feel successful most of the time.

Know your maps inside and out... know the chokepoints, know where you can get the cheap grenade kills, let your team mates do the rushing, etc. Basically you need to slow your game down and be more methodical. At least that's the secret to my limited success.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
astroturfing said:

and you've got to be kidding me about the resolution, they actually downgraded it from COD4/WAW/MW2..? what??

Performance wise PS3 and PC got the shit end of the stick. It's a joke.

Wickerman

CozMick said:
Anyone else having problems seeing there uploaded videos on CallofDuty.com?

My screenshots are viewable but my vids ain't nowhere to be seen :(

I haven't been able to see any of my videos or screencaps since day 1. I don't know what the heck I'm doing wrong.

.nimrod

astroturfing said:

Well, it's playable and seems to be the most balanced COD game, but the technical side on PC/PS3 is just flat out horrible. The singleplayer performs better though.

You might wanna check out this Digital Foundry article
or rent it for a day if that's an option for you. Getting picked as host, which i am quite frequently (25MBit connection), also makes the framerate worse.

taku

Lackmus said:
so when is the PC-patch comming out!? It's unplayable atm for us with dual cores :/
I hear ya, mate. Hopefully soon, trying to play the game now gives me a headache!

Just had a pretty awesome Headquarters match. Other team had 155 points to our 35, and we came all the back. The score was 150-155 with only a few seconds left when I managed to capture the last one and and tie the game at the last minute.:lol

Host Migration: SO MIGRATE THE FUCKINGN HOST GOD FUCKING DAMNIT

These host migrations always result in end games.

Edit: Server disconnected. WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH THIS GAME OR THE PEOPLE PLAYING IT??

I'm playing through the SP on normal and I'm up to the interrogation scene in Hong Kong. This series has officially run it's course. It's so boring and so linear. There are times when I don't even bother to shoot the enemies, I just walk right past them to trigger the next checkpoint. Also, this game looked amazing in 2007 but in 2010 this engine isn't that impressive anymore. Textures and facial models look pretty mediocre up close.

Always-honest said:
Host Migration: SO MIGRATE THE FUCKINGN HOST GOD FUCKING DAMNIT

These host migrations always result in end games.

Edit: Server disconnected. WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH THIS GAME OR THE PEOPLE PLAYING IT??

same thing with MW2 on PS3, still. just earlier today i had 3 host migrations, each failed and got disconnected.

shitty ass code.

aku:jiki

I have to admit, I've had a better experience with the game tonight! There's still quite a few more questionable deaths than in the previous games, but at least it's not all the time now all of a sudden. Maybe I'm getting lucky, but whatever, I'm having some fun again anyway. :D

Didn't notice how they fixed the map voting before (I never bother voting), how lazy is that? :lol

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
So the campaign was decent — not the best of the series, but it did at least have some variation in the missions (although some of them were terrible, especially the second one). There were no really memorable moments like the nuke in MW1, or "No Russian" or the suburbs/D.C. missions from MW2, though.

Awesome stuff:
Ed Harris, Gary Oldman, Ice Cube
dragon's breath shotgun rounds
the rooftop mission, Numbers — maybe the most non-traditional level in the series
(and that dude's awesome death sequence)
some parts of the game looked amazing, especially the last level and most of the Vietnam stuff
cutscenes, mission intros, general presentation are fantastic... Treyarch nailed it this time

Not-so-awesome stuff:
the "hold LT to reverse, tap X to choke" shit is worse than ever in this game; it doesn't make me feel more immersed, I'd almost rather watch a cutscene
vehicle combat is still really awkward and wonky
Sam Worthington's accent
guns feel absolutely powerless — enemies are like bullet sponges
skybox on Executive Order was laughable, looked like a pixelated JPEG

Now to put some significant time into the MP.

En-ou

10+ disconnects in 1 hr...time to go back to mw2. gonna trade this in and pay out for cataclysm. damn you amateurs at treyarch.

astroturfing said:
same thing with MW2 on PS3, still. just earlier today i had 3 host migrations, each failed and got disconnected.

shitty ass code.
This can ruin my day... it happens a lot. I only have little time to play. when this shit happens A LOT, i get furious.

FUCK now the game just freezes upon laoding a team deatmatch. FAAAAAAAAAAAAK

wish the menus were faster too. with MW2 i was online in 3 clicks and no waiting.

Hixx

tunnels on executive orders on veteran. fuck it.

hope royal mail decide to finally deliver acb tomorrow just so I can get the fuck away from that part of the game. i am literally angry at it. fuck you treyarch. veteran is quite fun apart from the 'hurr durr lets chuck infinite enemies in a TINY space' sections. Needless.

Nabs

I feel bad for playing normal TDM just to get my pro perks, but it's just so easy. Finished Hacker Pro and Ghost Pro. Going for SoH next since I'm so close. I only need a few more reload kills.

Wow at some of the comments regarding the ps3 version of the game, if true I won't be buying this game for a while - at least until I have a little money to burn. But I wanted to ask people's opinions on whether or not they think the problems can be fixed with patches or did Treyarch seriously mess up the port because I seem to remember WaW running pretty good.

TheOddOne

HixxSAFC said:
tunnels on executive orders on veteran. fuck it.

hope royal mail decide to finally deliver acb tomorrow just so I can get the fuck away from that part of the game. i am literally angry at it. fuck you treyarch. veteran is quite fun apart from the 'hurr durr lets chuck infinite enemies in a TINY space' sections. Needless.
I thought it was pretty doable. Just crouch as much as you can.

Max

I am not Max
PC patch is downloading!!!

Call of Duty: Black Ops - Multiplayer
CPU performance improvements
Server browser bug fixes and tweaks to populate faster and do full refresh less often
Fixed crash when viewing leaderboards if player has more than 99 friends
Fix for locked ADS after pressing shift-TAB to bring up Steam overlay
Fix for ADS while holding shift as a sniper

no fov fix, oh

snap0212

Solid_Rain said:
Wow at some of the comments regarding the ps3 version of the game, if true I won't be buying this game for a while - at least until I have a little money to burn. But I wanted to ask people's opinions on whether or not they think the problems can be fixed with patches or did Treyarch seriously mess up the port because I seem to remember WaW running pretty good.
To be honest, there are a lot of reasons why you shouldn’t buy this game at all. It sold so many copies that it doesn’t make the slightest difference if you buy it or not, but there are enough reasons to not pick it up – ever.

Treyarch doesn’t care about the PS3-Platform at all. It sounded like marketing-bullshit when Microsoft announced that the best way to play Call of Duty was doing so on the Xbox 360, but it turned out to be the truth. The frame rate sucks and it feels like 2007 all over again where the PS3 version of a game usually was the inferior one. The frame rate is horrible at times and I don’t understand how this could get through QA. Treyarch is not some small developer that has no idea how to work with the PS3, they’ve showed that everything is possible when they’ve released World at War, which wasn’t broken, had a steady frame rate and still runs perfectly fine on the PS3. They clearly know how to do it, but decided to release a “broken” game instead. Treyarch have not commented on the frame rate issues, yet. Reviewers haven’t talked about it either. IGN, for example, told you that the PS3 version is basically the same as the 360 version. There’s no pressure on Treyarch for fixing it, because the people talking about it are the vocal minority that can just be ignored. And that’s what they’re currently doing.

If you take a look at the features you’ll also find the possibility to connect a second controller to play online (split screen) with a friend. While this feature is fully supported on the Xbox 360 they went the easy route on the PS3. You cannot play with separate profiles, even though it’s been proven to be possible on the PS3. Another thing is the option to boot up the Multiplayer-Menu instead of the Main Menu. This function is also not available on the PS3 and there’s no reason why this short-cut isn’t included. If this were a small developer with very limited resources I’d understand why you’d have differences between the platforms, but that’s not the case with Treyarch. They’ve done great work with World at War and have shown us that they’re capable of releasing a great PS3-port of their game. I’d really love to know why Black Ops is such a mess.

Then you also have to take a look at the things that are wrong with both console versions of this game. The netcode seems to be way worse than the one they’ve used in Modern Warfare 2 (even World at War was better). A lot of people experience a great amount of lag, people with slow connections get chosen to be the host of a game, the host migration doesn’t work, the hit detection is completely broken, and joining a game as a party is almost impossible.

There really are also many reasons why you shouldn’t pick up this game just now. Once that stuff is fixed I’d recommend you to pick it up, because it’s in my opinion one of the most balanced online shooters ever made. The game is built around so many great ideas, but it seems like they’ve not put much thought into the execution of those great ideas.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
I gave up on playing on Hardened when I reached the underground missile bunker hunting the Nazi scientist. The respawning soldiers kept one-shotting me and Woods would not advance through the narrow bloody tunnel. Fuckin' Woods.
I let the VC shoot him a few times in Vietnam when he decided to run up to the soldier with an empty magazine. Please tell me dies horribly from Nova 6!

Steam patch just downloaded.

Nabs said:
I feel bad for playing normal TDM just to get my pro perks, but it's just so easy. Finished Hacker Pro and Ghost Pro. Going for SoH next since I'm so close. I only need a few more reload kills.

I finally got my steady aim pro. Now I'm working on Ghost Pro. That one's a bitch. sleight of hand pro is pretty easy. I actually got that one without even having to look up the requirements.

Max

I am not Max
Nabs said:
fov isn't broken.
moving the gun forward doesn't increase the degrees that my first person camera can view.

in comparison to tf2/fo3/cod4, the fov looks broken to me

Skel said:
I should mention I don't really use LMGs or Shotguns :)

Thanks, I'll try those.

Asking again for new page:

Is the PM63 any good?

I personally think its great. You have to use scavenger with it but its pretty accurate. And if you put rapid fire on it, its spits out a shitload of bullets and I can rush people with it very well. I prefer it to some of the later smgs that other people seem to like.

OMFG! These corner shots are pissing me off. I CLEARLY go around the corner after escaping from being shot from behind, yet a bullet STILL hits me. Fucking inexcusable.

Xux

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
I hate last stand because it makes surviving 2 on 1 encounters all but impossible. That half a second putting the other bullet in him ensures his teammate will finish you off.

Yeah, it's pretty annoying. Makes the only clip I've managed to get uploaded all the more special:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS-iGJ4GENM

aku:jiki said:
That means it's even less clear. The grey area between hipfire and ADS is still a mystery to us as far as the specifics of it go, as far as I know. That "gray area" was an issue with the sniper rifles in MW2, where people could use it to do a sort of half-quickscope, half-noscope kind of shot where they begin to ADS but fire before the scope comes up.

I do know that the reticle shrinks and the spread changes as you go ADS, through this "gray area," though, so it's not as clear-cut as you want to make it out to be.

There's no gray area. You're still at the max hipspread until the frame you stop the ADS animation regardless of what the crosshairs do. Denkirson made a post about it talking about MW2 so I assume it was in COD4 and all the games since.

Skel said:
Is the PM63 worth using? I just unlocked it, and as good as they are I am getting tired of using the Galil and AK74u over and over.

Can someone recommend me some underused, underrated guns?

I like it quite a bit. Fun fact: put a Grip and Extended Mags on it and it has the same stats as a naked Spectre but with a faster reload! That's balanced, right?

I've had some fun with the Uzi but it's hard to argue for it when the MPL and Spectre are pretty similar with better iron sights. I like the semi-autos; they seem more consistent than the M16 to me for some reason. I've been an LMG guy since MW2 but the ones in this game are pretty disappointing. The HK21's probably my favorite all around but it still feels mediocre. The RPK's my most used weapon and...well it's definitely not underrated. I still have plenty of fun with it since it and the HK21 have better hipspread than the ARs (well, better standing still and the same while moving).

Guess that wasn't much of a recommendation. :lol Seriously, there's nothing really significantly worse than anything else in the same category. Just try whatever.

Skel said:
By the way, what about the Skorpion? I've seen it has the highest damage numbers of any SMG up close, but does its medium range potential make it not worth it?

It feels way inconsistent to me. It sometimes takes five hits to down someone ten feet away without a silencer; the range drop is really close and steep. They lowered it to 750 RPMs from the 900 in COD4 and it seems like a pretty big nerf.

Nabs

Max said:
moving the gun forward doesn't increase the degrees that my first person camera can view.

in comparison to tf2/fo3/cod4, the fov looks broken to me
That's only the case if you don't bother respawning after changing your fov.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I have been doing horribly for the past few days and I can't place why. I started off doing better than I ever had in a CoD game. Oh well, I guess I'm just back to my usually sucking at CoD mode. :lol

Lackmus

Banned
wow, stuttering still happening and the game now CRASHES when I reach a certain killstreak.

wtf Treyarch.

I think i'm just gonna have to buy a quad core....

snap0212 said:
There really are also many reasons why you shouldn?t pick up this game just now. Once that stuff is fixed I?d recommend you to pick it up, because it?s in my opinion one of the most balanced online shooters ever made. The game is built around so many great ideas, but it seems like they?ve not put much thought into the execution of those great ideas.
Thanks, I'll definitely be waiting a while before giving at try. Although i'm actually kind of angry because I thought the days of bad ps3 ports were over - especially with one of the most anticipated titles on any platform and to be honest i'm not surprised at the review's with big titles like these.

Akim said:
I just went 66-6 on Jungle because of back to back chopper gunners. I almost feel bad.

Don't feel bad. It's very easy to take out air support in general in this game unless you're on Nuketown. If the other team allows somebody to go nuts on them with air support, its their fault.

aristotle

I love how some people can say they're not having a problem on the PS3 yet people asking questions hone on the few vocal ps3 users who have issues and completely by-pass anything the people without problems say. Not to mention the complete lies or FUD being spread around. *smh*

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Dat optimisation - patch didn't do shit once again.

I got a huge performance boost, but I'm running a quad core CPU. I was able to go from 2x to 4x antialiasing, crank arthroscopic filtering to max, and increase my field of view. The framerate is pretty much locked at 60fps at 1080p.

I'm running on Radeon 4890 and AMD X4 945 processor.

Top Bottom