• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

chapel said:
I love the G11. I have been seriously disappointed with the M16, which was my favorite weapon in MW1/2, because of how many shots it seems to take to kill. I feel like I am at a disadvantage using it against SMGs or other ARs. The G11 though, it just rocks. Rarely does it take 3 shots, and sometimes I get an awesome one shot headshot due to great aim. Only downside is lack of good attachments, I haven't tried the variable scope, but the low powered scope sucks and I got annoyed of using it, so I am using iron sights.

I've actually found the M16 with the ACOG sight makes a pretty decent sniper rifle replacement. I have a build with that setup as my primary and Ghost, Hardened, and Marathon as my perks, specifically for when I want to fill in as a sniper (mostly when I'm playing Domination on Cracked, taking potshots at the speedsters at B from the sniper spots near A or C and acting as sniper suppression support and protecting the nearby objective). I haven't unlocked the FN FAL yet, but if it's even half as good as my M16 I'll be impressed. :D

chapel

Banned
Lonewolf_92 said:
I've actually found the M16 with the ACOG sight makes a pretty decent sniper rifle replacement. I have a build with that setup as my primary and Ghost, Hardened, and Marathon as my perks, specifically for when I want to fill in as a sniper (mostly when I'm playing Domination on Cracked, taking potshots at the speedsters at B from the sniper spots near A or C and acting as sniper suppression support and protecting the nearby objective). I haven't unlocked the FN FAL yet, but if it's even half as good as my M16 I'll be impressed. :D
Sure the M16 isn't too bad at distance, but it still takes at minimum 2 bursts up to 3 or more. I think you would love the G11 as a sniper replacement. It actually has a variable scope that allows close to long range sniping, and the G11 has little to no recoil so shots are pretty dead on. In fact, a dead on headshot will most likely kill with one burst because it is so accurate.

aku:jiki

bobs99 ... said:
Quick question, does your choice of secondary affect your movement speed? Having a launcher on my back when going for Ghost Pro really annoyed me, it felt like it slowed me down so much. I havent felt this with the Crossbow, but since its a bulky secondary I assume it must do something to your movement speed?

Maybe its just in my head? I swear I felt sluggish when trying to run and gun with a launcher on my back.
Whatever you're holding at the moment determines your speed. You can carry an arsenal in your pocket and it doesn't matter. So if you need to get somewhere fast, switch to your handguns. :D

I've always imagine this to be the case in previous games, though apparently it isn't. Has any previous CoD allowed you to run faster with a handgun up?

Dilly

Banned
Is it so fucking hard to fix the stutter issue on a game engine that's years old?

For fuck sake, I'm getting tired playing on 800x600.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Skel said:
Not for me, I honestly think it is preference. I really enjoyed it at first, but then all I was doing was using 1 gun.

For me the customization in CoD is much more meaningful and fun to me, since it isn't just aesthetic.

I don't want to turn this into a Reach v. CoD debate, but I just think you shouldn't state that like a fact, when it is a matter of preference.

It was clearly a statement of preference between me and Fox, cool your jets.

G0DLIKE

Yeah, Black Ops still stutters horribly and runs poorly on my PC after these patches. Definitely regretting the $89.99 USD purchase.

kamspy

Is anyone able to access the dev console in single player after the patch? Yeah I went and rechecked the config to make sure it was still active there.

I'm really impressed with how Treyarch has supported this game (well, the console versions anyways). They've been doing stuff everyday it seems.

When Modern Warfare 2 launched, it felt like Infinity Ward really didn't give a shit about supporting it. They only ran back to it when stuff like the Javelin glitch and the Care Package glitches popped up. The only real thing they did was fixing the Akimbo 1887s, but I got the idea they only did that because people bitched so violently. Even then, it took much longer than it should have. They broke a lot of promises FourZeroTwo made to the community, such as banning all the 10th prestige glitchers and the tweaks to One Man Army that never happened.

aristotle

AnEternalEnigma said:
I'm really impressed with how Treyarch has supported this game (well, the console versions anyways). They've been doing stuff everyday it seems.

When Modern Warfare 2 launched, it felt like Infinity Ward really didn't give a shit about supporting it. They only ran back to it when stuff like the Javelin glitch and the Care Package glitches popped up. The only real thing they did was fixing the Akimbo 1887s, but I got the idea they only did that because people bitched so violently. Even then, it took much longer than it should have. They broke a lot of promises FourZeroTwo made to the community, such as banning all the 10th prestige glitchers and the tweaks to One Man Army that never happened.

People talk shit about Treyarch way too much. They actually support their games. Just look at how many map packs they released for W@W. IW on the other hand rarely did anything for their games. People talking about giving up on this game and selling it really are going to lose out in the long run. 3arc will support this for months.

NIN90

aku:jiki said:
I've always imagine this to be the case in previous games, though apparently it isn't. Has any previous CoD allowed you to run faster with a handgun up?

vCoD and CoD2 did that.

Loxley

Lonewolf_92 said:

Funny you should mention that since I literally made that exact loadout yesterday, with the same weapon/perk choices and everything :lol It really is quite the effective setup and long range.

AnEternalEnigma said:

Yeah, that patch that didn't really fix anything that it said it fixed was really nice.

Still can't hear people without ninja most of the time.
Matchmaking still bugged. People still aren't filling slots.
Lag still awful
Pc version still stutterring

But hey, they're releasing patches.

snap0212

AnEternalEnigma said:
What? Are we playing a different game? The PS3 version still has the same problems it had when it launched. The frame rate, the lag, host migration doesn't work, the person with the fastest internet connection doesn't get to be host, joining a game as a party is still broken, you still get kicked out mid-game.

They release Patches, but those don't really improve anything. I'll quote what I've posed a couple of pages back. The current situation is still the same as it was when I posted:

snap0212 said:
Solid_Rain said:
Wow at some of the comments regarding the ps3 version of the game, if true I won't be buying this game for a while - at least until I have a little money to burn. But I wanted to ask people's opinions on whether or not they think the problems can be fixed with patches or did Treyarch seriously mess up the port because I seem to remember WaW running pretty good.
To be honest, there are a lot of reasons why you shouldn’t buy this game at all. It sold so many copies that it doesn’t make the slightest difference if you buy it or not, but there are enough reasons to not pick it up – ever.

Treyarch doesn’t care about the PS3-Platform at all. It sounded like marketing-bullshit when Microsoft announced that the best way to play Call of Duty was doing so on the Xbox 360, but it turned out to be the truth. The frame rate sucks and it feels like 2007 all over again where the PS3 version of a game usually was the inferior one. The frame rate is horrible at times and I don’t understand how this could get through QA. Treyarch is not some small developer that has no idea how to work with the PS3, they’ve showed that everything is possible when they’ve released World at War, which wasn’t broken, had a steady frame rate and still runs perfectly fine on the PS3. They clearly know how to do it, but decided to release a “broken” game instead. Treyarch have not commented on the frame rate issues, yet. Reviewers haven’t talked about it either. IGN, for example, told you that the PS3 version is basically the same as the 360 version. There’s no pressure on Treyarch for fixing it, because the people talking about it are the vocal minority that can just be ignored. And that’s what they’re currently doing.

If you take a look at the features you’ll also find the possibility to connect a second controller to play online (split screen) with a friend. While this feature is fully supported on the Xbox 360 they went the easy route on the PS3. You cannot play with separate profiles, even though it’s been proven to be possible on the PS3. Another thing is the option to boot up the Multiplayer-Menu instead of the Main Menu. This function is also not available on the PS3 and there’s no reason why this short-cut isn’t included. If this were a small developer with very limited resources I’d understand why you’d have differences between the platforms, but that’s not the case with Treyarch. They’ve done great work with World at War and have shown us that they’re capable of releasing a great PS3-port of their game. I’d really love to know why Black Ops is such a mess.

Then you also have to take a look at the things that are wrong with both console versions of this game. The netcode seems to be way worse than the one they’ve used in Modern Warfare 2 (even World at War was better). A lot of people experience a great amount of lag, people with slow connections get chosen to be the host of a game, the host migration doesn’t work, the hit detection is completely broken, and joining a game as a party is almost impossible.

There really are also many reasons why you shouldn’t pick up this game just now. Once that stuff is fixed I’d recommend you to pick it up, because it’s in my opinion one of the most balanced online shooters ever made. The game is built around so many great ideas, but it seems like they’ve not put much thought into the execution of those great ideas.

aristotle

snap0212 said:
What? Are we playing a different game? The PS3 version still has the same problems it had when it launched. The frame rate, the lag, host migration doesn't work, the person with the fastest internet connection doesn't get to be host, joining a game as a party is still broken, you still get kicked out mid-game.

They release Patches, but those don't really improve anything. I'll quote what I've posed a couple of pages back. The current situation is still the same as it was when I posted:

It seems we are playing different games because I've had none of the issues you have and I'm on the PS3.

snap0212

aristotle said:
It seems we are playing different games because I've had none of the issues you have and I'm on the PS3.
Are you really trying to tell me that you're playing on the PS3 without frame rate problems? :lol

aristotle said:
Sorry, but then you're just making things up. At least the PS3-version, the one I play and know, is still far from perfect and the patch didn't improve that much.

aristotle

snap0212 said:
Are you really trying to tell me that you're playing on the PS3 without frame rate problems? :lol

Patrick Bateman said:
Sorry, but then you're just making things up. At least the PS3-version, the one I play and know, is still far from perfect and the patch didn't improve that much.

So you're saying it's impossible for people to have different experiences? I'm not the only person without issues. Some people have it, some don't. I've only had a handful of lag issues and those were remedied by choosing only local and with the new patch. It runs better for me, sorry it doesn't for you. No need to call me a liar because I'm having a better experience than you.

What size HD do you have? How much capacity is left on it? What model of PS3 are you using? Those might be issues since I've noticed much better performance in my games since I went to a larger HD and from a OG 60gig to a slim model.

snap0212 said:

I'm playing on the 360, so yeah, I don't see these issues first-hand. I just read the patch notes.

PetriP-TNT said:
I tried searching this and read the pages from 18th nov but didn't find anything, has this erm... issue been discussed

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=276676

I sort of got that feeling from MW2 but that seems to take it to a whole new level

That was posted a few pages back actually. IIRC, the guy is playing the first mission, which is basically Black Ops version of "The Pitt" from MW2, just with more flash and explosions and such, so it's no surprise that he was able to run through it without firing a shot (other than the required two due to set pieces) without problems.

kamspy

Dexa said:
performance is still crap if you dont have a i5 or i7 ...

Bullshit. My Phenon II 955 gets me a solid 60 fps with v sync in single player with all setting balls out.

Solid 90fps in MP with everything but AA. AA might even work, I just usually don't run AA or Vsync in MP games.

Is there a good forum for Blops PC discussion? It's mostly console here, the Steam and Official forums are a mess full of QQ "mah dual core and 8800 should run everything!" crap. They don't take into account that all the engine tweaks from W@W to Blops were done by Treyarch. They didn't have access to the MW2 code base until very late into development so the graphical tweaks were done by them. Since they're not IW, the implementation was far less optimized.

^ my x9650@3GHz and 8800 ultra runs the game just fine @ 1600x1024 with all settings maxed 60-90Hz (vista 64 8 GB of ram)

Stoney Mason said:
It's pretty wicked from my experiences.
same for me, the recoil is very manageable on PC

Jrmint

I think one of the best things about this game when compared to others is there are so many effective guns so you can change it up a bit.

I have had tons of success with:
Galil
AUG
Commando (when I pick one up, not unlocked yet)

MP5
AK74u
Skorpion

I am probably forgetting some, but I really like that about this game.

I thought we went over this before. No one gives a shit about you laying on the ground there. Die like a man.
I've been picked up plenty of times, so it's really just you.

Skel said:
I think one of the best things about this game when compared to others is there are so many effective guns so you can change it up a bit.

Galil
AUG

MP5
AK74u
Skorpion

Yeah lots of good guns. There are my serious guns and then the ones I fuck around with when I'm bored with the serious guns.

kamspy

Every time I put a scope or red dot on a gun I become crap with it. Seems like it takes away from the damage. Anyone else have this mental block?

The Galil especially. With the irons it's a freaking death hose. With a scope or red dot it's worthless to me.

Skel said:

Galil
AUG

MP5
AK74u
Skorpion

I've been picked up plenty of times, so it's really just you.

Yep, I'm only level 22 but the MP5K, M16, RPK, Famas, and AK74u all get a work out by me for different reasons and to tackle different situations.

Najaf

Spoiler filled thoughts:

I am pretty sure the assassination of JFK was originally in the game. Did anyone notice that there was no 'sniper' mission, as has been present in every call of duty game? It is of course implied that Mason killed JFK as we all know.

When Mason yells at Dragovich "You tried to make me kill my president!" Dragovich replies "Tried?"

I bet that originally, the game was not to end just on those shots of JFK in Dallas, but they were to be followed by a flashback. (Remember, JFK was killed in 1963, before the events of the game's conclusion) This would fit the time that Hudson says Mason was unaccounted for. The flashback following those images of Dallas would have been Mason working his way up to the Texas School Book Depository and then concluding with shot(s) to kill JFK. I would bet this was at least on the drawing board at Treyarch but discarded for obvious reasons. Thoughts?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
The Galil feels like this game's TAR — which means it'll probably be my primary forever. I used the FAMAS for a bit, and the AUG is alright, but the Galil just feels right to me. When I first started playing (before you can create a custom class) I used the MP5K and I hated it — couldn't get used to the recoil for some reason. I've always been an AR guy anyway.

This "share package" challenge is killing me... I know I shouldn't rush it, and it'll come eventually, but it's hard not to! My care package either ends up being a resupply crate, so no one else even wants it, or a fucking enemy comes out of nowhere at the exact perfect time, kills me and/or my teammate and takes it themselves. I'm almost done with the sleight of hand pro challenges, though, which is good because that's pretty much my only must-have perk.

I really dislike the way they reward you for challenges in general in this game, though. The neat thing about MW2 is that you had incentive to do the unusual/difficult challenges, as they got you unique titles/emblems. And even after several days worth of playing time, you'd still be getting random challenges that you didn't even know about, and unlocking new stuff. I liked having a unique callsign setup that I knew most others wouldn't have because they didn't play the same style, do the same stuff, etc. as me. Now you just get XP or points, which eventually doesn't mean much if you're not going to prestige (which has less incentive this time than ever).

J-Rzez

aristotle said:

You have a magic PS3 then, which has extra Krazy Ken dust sprinkled on it then, because this game is a fuck-shop. Frame rate, hit detection, lag, broken features, all of these are the worst I've seen in a CoD this gen. It's borderline unplayable, which is a damn shame since when the stars and moon align, and the gaming gods accept your slaughtered calf blood and grant you that 20 seconds of "everything working like it should", the game is superior to MW1 and 2 combined and is fun.

I agree that those patches didn't do jack squat either. I tried it out thinking ok now to have fun, yet here all I get is more stuttering and dc's than ever. My best friend told me the 360 version isn't a gem neither, but compared to what he said, Treyarch and Activision really took everyone's money with a gun and a ski-mask on the PS3, which is a shame.

Did any media outlets get on these problems, because I believe there no way possible the game was running great before launch considering how piss poor it did at launch up until now.

SmokeMaxX said:
Is the G11 like a G6?

Yeah, I picked one up before, and it's so fly it's like a G6.

Najaf said:
Spoiler filled thoughts:

I am pretty sure the assassination of JFK was originally in the game. Did anyone notice that there was no 'sniper' mission, as has been present in every call of duty game? It is of course implied that Mason killed JFK as we all know.

When Mason yells at Dragovich "You tried to make me kill my president!" Dragovich replies "Tried?"

I bet that originally, the game was not to end just on those shots of JFK in Dallas, but they were to be followed by a flashback. (Remember, JFK was killed in 1963, before the events of the game's conclusion) This would fit the time that Hudson says Mason was unaccounted for. The flashback following those images of Dallas would have been Mason working his way up to the Texas School Book Depository and then concluding with shot(s) to kill JFK. I would bet this was at least on the drawing board at Treyarch but discarded for obvious reasons. Thoughts?
I think this is plausible, but like you say i doubt it got very far beyond the discussion stage. I think the way it was handled was appropriate
I thought the "Tried?" line by Dragovich was a cool moment. Actually having you perform the assassination would be inappropriate IMO, but honestly little shocks me at this point

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
GitarooMan said:
I think this is plausible, but like you say i doubt it got very far beyond the discussion stage. I think the way it was handled was appropriate
I thought the "Tried?" line by Dragovich was a cool moment. Actually having you perform the assassination would be inappropriate IMO, but honestly little shocks me at this point
Why would it be inappropriate? They could easily make it a skippable mission, but there was already some game a while back that had you replicating that event (it was an indie title I believe). If they could get away with the airport level, then they could definitely get away with that.

I dunno why but the last 5 games its giving me host. I never got host the 150 games previously but OMG the framerate. WTF? Stop giving me host if I have to put up with that shit! :lol

kamspy said:
Bullshit. My Phenon II 955 gets me a solid 60 fps with v sync in single player with all setting balls out.

Solid 90fps in MP with everything but AA. AA might even work, I just usually don't run AA or Vsync in MP games.

Is there a good forum for Blops PC discussion? It's mostly console here, the Steam and Official forums are a mess full of QQ "mah dual core and 8800 should run everything!" crap. They don't take into account that all the engine tweaks from W@W to Blops were done by Treyarch. They didn't have access to the MW2 code base until very late into development so the graphical tweaks were done by them. Since they're not IW, the implementation was far less optimized.

The problem here is that those people who say "mah dual core and 8800 should run everything!" are probably right. I'm running a dual core with gtx460 setup and my performance is absolute shit unless I do some very specific things to fix it. V-sync must be turned on, with shadows off. I need to set the sound to headphones instead of speakers and I need to change the priority of steam and blops to low and high respectively. This I need to do everytime I run the game because for some reason the settings reset themselves everytime I play. All of this to get the game to run at 35-60 frames and to get the least amount of stutter to make the game even playable. Let's not even talk about singleplayer because thats a whole other can of worms.

There is clearly something VERY wrong with the PC engine that's causing these problems and I suspect a rushed port job is the source. It's also been two weeks and we've received two patches, neither of which have helped the currently large portion of players currently having issues. Compare the number of updates given to the 360 and PS3 versions and it's laughable. In fact, I had most of the problems worked out prior to yesterdays patch and now? With the patch I'm getting the stuttering again no matter what I do. I'm glad you're having no issues, but you have to realize that a huge amount of people are. With that said - any type of forum community you find will probably have the same whiny posts about how their game doesnt work. Just going to have to deal with it until Treyarchs awesome "support" fixes the problems.

aristotle

J-Rzez said:
You have a magic PS3 then, which has extra Krazy Ken dust sprinkled on it then, because this game is a fuck-shop. Frame rate, hit detection, lag, broken features, all of these are the worst I've seen in a CoD this gen. It's borderline unplayable, which is a damn shame since when the stars and moon align, and the gaming gods accept your slaughtered calf blood and grant you that 20 seconds of "everything working like it should", the game is superior to MW1 and 2 combined and is fun.

I agree that those patches didn't do jack squat either. I tried it out thinking ok now to have fun, yet here all I get is more stuttering and dc's than ever. My best friend told me the 360 version isn't a gem neither, but compared to what he said, Treyarch and Activision really took everyone's money with a gun and a ski-mask on the PS3, which is a shame.

Did any media outlets get on these problems, because I believe there no way possible the game was running great before launch considering how piss poor it did at launch up until now.

So you're taking anecdotal evidence as proof then. I said I'm having a blast with it and I've run into no problems. I never said people aren't having problems. Other people have said something similar. When I'm playing the game alot of people are talking about how it's running better for them since the latest patch.

Also, why would people with a good experience come into an online forum and bitch? This is GAF I know, but the vocal crew doesn't mean it's that way for everyone.

todahawk

J-Rzez said:

Yeah, I picked one up before, and it's so fly it's like a G6.

Damn, I guess mine must be magic too. I'll have some matches where I can tell it's lagging and hit detection is off but then i'll have a stretch of matches where it's fine. not great but fine. I'm running with a slim and about 20gb free.

Short of one match I haven't noticed any frame rate or slow down at all.

BC2 went through worse stretches of rubber banding and MW2 had some degree of lag problems the entire time I owned it.

Treyarch is much more involved in with community interaction (IMHO) than IW. Dice was ok, just slow to actually implement.

Najaf

Stallion Free said:
Why would it be inappropriate? They could easily make it a skippable mission, but there was already some game a while back that had you replicating that event (it was an indie title I believe). If they could get away with the airport level, then they could definitely get away with that.

I agree to a point. You already were involved in one of the many Castro assassination attempts. I also think there was room to play with the facts of the JFK assassination. With it being an 81 meter shot (really short range) they could have played with the idea of Mason fighting his programming, hence missing several of the shots. Hell, they could have gone for the full conspiracy and flipped the whole thing on end. If there were multiple shooters, (the game tells us there were multiple sleeper agents) Mason could have been struggling to fight off the programming while taking out some of the other shooters and then succumb to it and kill JFK himself. It would have been a media shit storm, but sales would not have been touched. There is a lot they could have done with that. I guess I am a little disappointed they did not push the envelope there.

Dilly

Banned
Right, the patch just broke my game.

Spawns are just terrible, the performance is probably the worst I've ever had on any game and I've been PC gaming for a long time.

aristotle

no angel said:
Wow, it took me bloody ages to link my youtube account to my black ops profile, I'm sure it can't have been that hard for everyone else.

Anyway, tested it with a clip of a flukey direct impact grenade kill, I definately need to improve my editing skills!

http://www.youtube.com/user/urbanpandauk?feature=mhum#p/a/u/0/gNE1PU1J1dM

It took awhile for me too. It's needlessly cumbersome I think. I have yet to upload any clip though.

Top Bottom