• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

wud

Neo Member
game is a piece of shit, kept locking up on my friends ps3 today so i had to turn it off by the switch. Blu-ray drive is now broken

its not fun, the lag is horrendous. COD series is done.

MW2 >>>>>>

Scarecrow

I've been trying out the M60 to try to complete a challenge for it. That thing is pretty good. I'm by no means a good player, but I was mowing guys down left and right, barely had to reload, etc. This thing might be my only real way to get anything above a 6-7 killstreak reward.

wud said:
game is a piece of shit, kept locking up on my friends ps3 today so i had to turn it off by the switch. Blu-ray drive is now broken

its not fun, the lag is horrendous. COD series is done.

MW2 >>>>>>

Yeah, Call of Duty really broke your friend's PS3. Uh huh. Sounds like your friend's drive was already fucked.

I didn't give this game enough time, having gone through almost the whole game now it gets a LOT better as it goes along. Some really impressive levels on par with MW2 and I really like the story, very fun, very Hollywood in a good way.

There are still some control issues and it really annoys me when they take the guns I have away arbitrarily or force me to pull out a knife. It's too directed for it's own good. But the long ugly levels with a million guys thrown at you are gone now and the game is infinitely better for it.

I'd still rank it under MW2 but really only because it's very uneven, I almost gave up on the game during several levels, but if you stick with it you really do get rewarded with some awesome stuff.

Good job Treyarch now iron out the details.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
AnEternalEnigma said:
What the fuck are you talking about? Those glitches are tons worse and more game-breaking than anything in this game.
I would much rather deal with a handful of glitches that were not nearly as widespread as most people made them out to be than slow-as-fuck matchmaking, pervasive lag that makes many one-on-one encounters a crapshoot, and atrocious spawns. These issues affect pretty much everyone, but it doesn't make them any less frustrating. With the glitches, you knew that they were an easy fix; but with these networking issues, even though Treyarch's intentions are good, you have to wonder how long it'll take for them to get the game running optimally for everyone as it should.

KPunk

honestly, i just got off a few min ago. i dont know whats up but tonight on XBL 98% of the games i played tonight was just laggy as hell. seriously really pissed me off. totally playable but like the last comment, whoever has less lag got more kills.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Migrating hosts.....

Game lobby has been closed

This happens a lot to me. I'm not sure if the host rage quits or what.

My only complaint online is that I'm awesome at Ground War domination or team deathmatch but for some reason when I play headquarters my ratio drops to like .75 or 1.0 :( Plus I keep getting shut out.

jedimike

I haven't noticed any real difference between MW2 and BO in terms of lag. Both games have their share of problems with things like bullet detection. Maybe I'm spoiled, but I find that I'll be the host after 10-15 minutes of playing.

Sure, there's plenty of times where I cry foul because I had the jump but lost out because his hit somehow registered milliseconds before mine. Even with those moments of frustration, I'm still having a ton of fun playing. I find the level design a notch above MW2. I think the graphics are on par or even slightly better than MW2. The SP game is better. All in all, out of all of the console shooters available, there's not one I'd rather be playing.

Despite the few flaws, it's been $60 well spent.

edit: BTW, I play hardcore >90% of the time and play on 360.

vatstep said:
I would much rather deal with a handful of glitches that were not nearly as widespread as most people made them out to be than slow-as-fuck matchmaking, pervasive lag that makes many one-on-one encounters a crapshoot, and atrocious spawns. These issues affect pretty much everyone, but it doesn't make them any less frustrating. With the glitches, you knew that they were an easy fix; but with these networking issues, even though Treyarch's intentions are good, you have to wonder how long it'll take for them to get the game running optimally for everyone as it should.

Not nearly as widespread? Come ON, dude. People were Javelin glitching and Care Package/Emergency Airdrop glitching CONSTANTLY.

Do you work for Infinity Ward or something?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
AnEternalEnigma said:
Not nearly as widespread? Come ON, dude. People were Javelin glitching and Care Package/Emergency Airdrop glitching CONSTANTLY.

Do you work for Infinity Ward or something?
In the time between when these glitches were discovered and when they were patched, I probably only came across them in less than 10% of the matches I played. Sure, it's possible I got lucky, but it's mostly just annoying when people complain about these exploits happening in "EVERY MATCH" when that's obviously not the case. And again, with these glitches, fixes were obviously incoming, they could be more easily avoided by playing with friends, and if they really pissed you off that much, you could just do them yourself in return. Even if they were more common that I contend, I'll still take them over the wonky network shit that Black Ops has in spades.

Presco

Blackbird, chopper gunner, attack dogs. Sooooo dirty. Blackbird pretty much guarantees 3-4 kills. Call in the dogs before the chopper gunner and you will absolutely destroy fools. Ran with this setup the last two games I played and wrecked with it. Of course, in the last game the host quit after he died 3 times in a very short timeframe to the chopdog combo and the host didn't migrate. How is this still broken?

JB1981

johnFkennedy said:
So I've come to the conclusion that the matchmaking in this game is non-existent. Over half a million players online I've been sitting at the matchmaking screen for the last 20 minutes. Even joining a session in progress doesn't seem to work.

Correction: Nearly a million players online.
What version? I have never once had this problem. 360.

I've never had complaining worthy lag in the game until today. It was strange too, because my connection meter in the game showed that I had a really good connection. But for several games in a row I had what I could only explain as lag. Things would even delay like planting a claymore, or even switching between players when I was ghosting. It was very annoying.

vatstep said:
In the time between when these glitches were discovered and when they were patched, I probably only came across them in less than 10% of the matches I played. Sure, it's possible I got lucky, but it's mostly just annoying when people complain about these exploits happening in "EVERY MATCH" when that's obviously not the case. And again, with these glitches, fixes were obviously incoming, they could be more easily avoided by playing with friends, and if they really pissed you off that much, you could just do them yourself in return. Even if they were more common that I contend, I'll still take them over the wonky network shit that Black Ops has in spades.

lol i couldn't find a game of MW2 for 2 to 3 weeks without everyone spamming the javelin glitch. MW2 had matchmaking and lag issues at launch also.

Black Ops is the better game by far. Shit has been pretty spiffy playing on Xbox.

vatstep said:

I love people with short memories that forget ALL of these games had shitty matchmaking problems for the first 3-4 weeks. Hell, Call of Duty 4 was a mess until about 3-4 months in and it still became everyone's darling.

Nice to see you condone cheating. Don't even need to bother justifing anything to you, then.

Accidentus

Neo Member
It it just me, or does Chopper Gunner seemed ridiculously overpowered? It should be an 11 kill streak reward. I'd say 9/10 times it garners more kills than dogs do. Chopper Gunner + Nuketown/Array/any map where you generally spawn outside is just unfair.

Eric WK

Accidentus said:
It it just me, or does Chopper Gunner seemed ridiculously overpowered? It should be an 11 kill streak reward. I'd say 9/10 times it garners more kills than dogs do. Chopper Gunner + Nuketown/Array/any map where you generally spawn outside is just unfair.

It can be countered before the gunner can even get kills with a Ghost Pro + Strela build. If anything, it should be three shots to take it down to prevent a 9 or 11 (in the case of the Gunship) killstreak to be destroyed before the player can reap the benefits of his hard work.

Eric WK said:
It can be countered before the gunner can even get kills with a Ghost Pro + Strela build. If anything, it should be three shots to take it down to prevent a 9 or 11 (in the case of the Gunship) killstreak to be destroyed before the player can reap the benefits of his hard work.

This. I have had so many Gunships and CG's destroyed before I can even begin to get shots off due to SM turrets and sneaky people with launchers. Unlike others, I don't get upset though. I much, much prefer that than the shit in MW2. I remember AC130's and CG's sometimes took 4 lock on shots to take one down.

Dresden

Bumblebeetuna said:
This. I have had so many Gunships and CG's destroyed before I can even begin to get shots off due to SM turrets and sneaky people with launchers. Unlike others, I don't get upset though. I much, much prefer that than the shit in MW2. I remember AC130's and CG's sometimes took 4 lock on shots to take one down.
And remember how Harriers would sometimes bug out and would become invincible against Stingers? Good times.

I usually can't get more than seven, eight kills with a chopper gunner before someone takes me down. The jungle-rape doesn't happen much anymore, with eight-man teams there's always someone with a Strela.

Dresden said:
And remember how Harriers would sometimes bug out and would become invincible against Stingers? Good times.

I usually can't get more than seven, eight kills with a chopper gunner before someone takes me down. The jungle-rape doesn't happen much anymore, with eight-man teams there's always someone with a Strela.
Ugh, I hated that. Harriers were way to good to be a seven kill streak IMO.

Dresden said:

People are getting better and better about equipping one or using SAM turrets.

MW2 never saw many people wise up to the defense against air attacks, probably because they'd rather have akimbo shotguns or some other bullshit. It's nice to see more people playing the way it should be played.

vatstep

AnEternalEnigma said:
I love people with short memories that forget ALL of these games had shitty matchmaking problems for the first 3-4 weeks. Hell, Call of Duty 4 was a mess until about 3-4 months in and it still became everyone's darling.

Nice to see you condone cheating. Don't even need to bother justifing anything to you, then.
I didn't have any notable matchmaking issues with MW2 (360 version), even from the start. I got into games fast, rarely had a host migration fail on me, and most of the gameplay didn't feel janky like BO often does. You don't have to believe me if you don't want to — this was just my experience.

As for me "condoning" cheating, that's a bit of a stretch. Let me just say that I have never done any sort of glitching in an online game, as I don't see the fun in it, and it obviously ruins the experience for everyone else. As for the kids who were running around doing the javelin, care package, etc. glitches in every match they played — yeah, fuck them, I don't condone that at all. Now, if there were people who got so fed up with the shit, but still couldn't just put the game down and wanted to get back at specific players doing it in their matches, then that I don't really care about (although it's still stupid). That part of my post was unclear, and maybe I should have elaborated more, but I wasn't really expecting someone to go so far as to label me a cheating-sympathizer. :lol

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
Accidentus said:
Just got my first Chopper Gunner, it was ridiculous.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW_Q6zlViQQ
No idea why the start of the video is like that.

jedimike said:
I haven't noticed any real difference between MW2 and BO in terms of lag. Both games have their share of problems with things like bullet detection. Maybe I'm spoiled, but I find that I'll be the host after 10-15 minutes of playing.

Sure, there's plenty of times where I cry foul because I had the jump but lost out because his hit somehow registered milliseconds before mine. Even with those moments of frustration, I'm still having a ton of fun playing. I find the level design a notch above MW2. I think the graphics are on par or even slightly better than MW2. The SP game is better. All in all, out of all of the console shooters available, there's not one I'd rather be playing.

Despite the few flaws, it's been $60 well spent.

edit: BTW, I play hardcore >90% of the time and play on 360.
What's your GT? I love me some HC TDM.

I'm XxTACTxJEEZYxX

butts

I just checked out my stats and roughly 10% of my deaths are from the knife. I fucking hate that thing. I wish they had it like the old melee in the old games where you would rifle butt/pistol whip people and it took 2 hits to kill. That or temp disable it if you are taking damage, something.

AnEternalEnigma said:
Those weren't happening within two weeks of the game's release whereas BO has had some game-ruining issues since day one.

chapel

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xVY9bLVmsk

I was playing S&D, everyone else died, I was alone vs 3 other guys and attacking. So I grabbed the bomb that was near our spawn still, ran back over, tried to plant, and you see the rest. Any time I am the last man standing, my heart is racing, it is super exhilarating when you do well like that. Knowing that I have my whole team looking at me, and the whole stress of being the only person able to do anything.

mattso

I went 25 -6 in team deathmatch on wmd earlier tonight using a silenced spas. After the game I got a message from someone saying that "multiple complaints were files against me for using a modded controller". I never understood people who assume if they do bad that means that the other person HAD to be cheating.

Who knew a semi automatic shotgun was semi automatic?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I'm giving up. I'm not longer fucking with objectives. Seems like so many people just find a spot and kill people and say "fuck objectives". :\

If anyone is having issues with the 360 or PS3 versions, just thank lord jesus that you are not stuck with the unplayable mess that is the PC version.

Since the day I installed the game, the multiplayer has been annoying to downright unplayable. Once another player comes into view, the stuttering begins and nine times out of 10 I am dead before I can even fire my weapon.

The patches have improved things slightly, but it is still frustrating when half of your deaths come from the game locking up for a millisecond.

It chaps my ass to no end me that there was not a beta. Things like this could have been snuffed out easily. The amount of bullshit hoops that people are jumping through to try to get this game to run is absolutely absurd and I refuse to reconfigure my entire computer to the point of disabling my audio to get Treyarch's game to run. This is why PC gaming is circling the drain. After a while, people got sick of getting fucked in the ass. If I knew what I know now, I would have just got the 360 version, but the promise of dedicated servers and better graphics made me grab the PC version. Too bad I'm a sucker and have no way of getting my $60 back. Activision can eat a dick.

Why are the animations and hit detection still shitty after FOUR FUCKING GAMES! When someone knifes you with the killcam half of the time it doesn't even look like the knife even went through your body, and then the Killcams show the death animation lag. Christ

commish said:
I'm giving up. I'm not longer fucking with objectives. Seems like so many people just find a spot and kill people and say "fuck objectives". :\

I agree. The fix I came up with was I just devoted myself to being a defender in CTF. Since everyone just camps at the enemies base I end up fighting the entire enemy team by myself. It can get annoying sometimes but I normally end up with a ton of kills and still play a valuable part towards completing the objective. Win/Win!

TacticalFox88 said:
Why are the animations and hit detection still shitty after FOUR FUCKING GAME! When someone knifes you with the killcam half of the time it doesn't even look like the knife even went through your body, and then the Killcams show the death animation lag. Christ

thee system is the worst you don't even have to face the guy but you got 360 knife detection. Wtf is that shit.

Top Bottom