• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

Games "Ok" to me, better then MW2 I think aside from the lag and party issues at times.

I think considering the massive amounts of games sold, as well as a good amount of people playing splitscreen, that the game is actually easy once you unlock the 74U.
You might actually come across a few good players less then half the time, most players are clueless and easy fodder.
I also refuse to play under 4 bars. If my party gets less we bail. You kinda have to play camp style since moving and shooting can become a slideshow.

I still love love love the inability to eascape bullets if you get behind and object. It can be solid steel and youll see in the kill cam hit detection follow you while your 5 feet behind it. And let us not forget the "sometimes" commando knife...you know the knife you can swing on occasion or have swung on you that defies the laws of physics as well as making your gun see to fire rounds of marshmellows.

I can't even think of a reason to build to many classes. All I've found is I just have to use..
Ak 47 or 74U
Lightweight or Ghost
Warlord or Slight of Hand
Marathon
Claymore

99% of players don't run Ghost so I always use spy plane and hunt, if the enemy plane is up I just pull a camp+Claymore move. Then I use Napalm and Mortars.
3,5,6...Quick, to obtain and effective. Very very easy to get 5 planes a game, 3 napalms and 2 strikes. Pretty much spawn then get a killstreak every time of some extreme before I die.

Dresden

Pkm said:
I also refuse to play under 4 bars. If my party gets less we bail. You kinda have to play camp style since moving and shooting can become a slideshow.
I've never seen a four bar in my life.

The current thing pissing me off the most is the bullet lag. It frustrates me to no end how many times I'll die once in cover, it's literally impossible to escape anyone who might get the drop on you.

I also feel that the game is less skillful then other iterations, with the maps designed the way that they are, black ops is just about who sees who first most of the time. I do miss COD4 sometimes (cod 1 is still my favourite though).

The spawning is just a complete joke. I wish they'd fucking use static spawn points for each side, it might entice spawn camping a lot more, but holy fuck, it has to be better then having people spawn behind you constantly, shooting you in the back. There is no sense of progression at all.

Oh and I used to love S&D for COD 1 and 2 but I find the console versions not very satisfying.

One thing I hate about this game is the currency system. I really just want to experiment with as many weapons as possible, without having to buy them.

Also, I just found out tonight that you have to make your pro perks don't carry over to the other custom class slots. What is the point of that?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
canadian crowe said:
Also, I just found out tonight that you have to make your pro perks don't carry over to the other custom class slots. What is the point of that?

I'm not sure I understand - once you make something pro, it's pro for every slot you have.

Dresden

Ugh, lagging every match for the past hour. Slideshow.

I try not to look at the KDR, because it's stupid but I can't help it. It's down to 1.98. Ugh. Then I manage to get a chopper gunner and it gets shot down in ten seconds. FML.

firehawk12 said:
I'm not sure I understand - once you make something pro, it's pro for every slot you have.

Hmm maybe I'm mistaken. I created a new class tonight, and I went to give myself second chance, and it gave me an option to upgrade it to pro for 3000 points. I already have second chance pro on my first custom slot. I didn't have enough points to buy it, but I assumed it meant to upgrade that perk to pro.

aku:jiki

So I just had one of these incredibly annoying players, almost the worst kind -- a very skilled player who chooses to employ noob tactics to be an asshole -- who would keep camping the tower on Firing Range. He'd be fucking impossible to get down from there, so I eventually had to switch to sniper to try to get him away from there SOMEHOW.

I still couldn't do it! In the time it takes me to find him, scope up, stabilize, hold breath and fire, he'd have killed me 5 times over with this AK74u. Come the fuck on Treyarch. :(

AnEternalEnigma said:
Doesn't seem to be "ruining my game" whatsoever. I've played 95% smooth games since the patch.
I have to admit that I've been having the same experience. My first two nights after the patch were atrocious, even worse than before the patch, but afterwards has been relatively smooth sailing.

It's not as smooth as MW2 (or CoD4 for that matter) is for me, but it's definitely been good enough to be playable. If they could just minimize these "OMG I SHOT HIM 500 TIMES" situations a little more...

Hanmik

aku:jiki said:
I have to admit that I've been having the same experience. My first two nights after the patch were atrocious, even worse than before the patch, but afterwards has been relatively smooth sailing.

It's not as smooth as MW2 (or CoD4 for that matter) is for me, but it's definitely been good enough to be playable. If they could just minimize these "OMG I SHOT HIM 500 TIMES" situations a little more...

my feeling exactly.. Up untill firday the game lagged like shit for me. Played MW2 friday and Saturday. But tried Black Ops again yesterday. After setting search on my PS3 to "locale only" I had a blast with 1½ hour of "One in the chamber" and Sticks and stones" games. They all ran smooth as hell. No more stopmotion movie for me..
Even played some Demolition afterwards, and in the 7 games I played, there was some small amount of Lag. But nothing gamebreaking like I´m used to. So I had a blast, got my ass kicked in some games, and kicked some ass in other games...

So hopefully it wasn´t just a one night expierience .. hopefully the game run better from now on.

Black Ops is a good game once it runs smooth. There still is lots of shit in the game (customization sucks balls, emblems WAY to small (hard to tell what level people are), game takes way to long to start up (compared to MW2), weapons are a somewhat meehhh... etc.) but for now I´m having fun in Black Ops, for the first time since I got the game..

SmokeMaxX

I think everyone should pay attention to how the game treats lag. All in all, Black Ops makes everything feel much smoother than it is. I had a red bar for one entire game and the game was SUPER smooth. It was only after I died or tried to shoot at someone that I realized there was lag. So I think they changed the way Black Ops interprets lag and instead of making the client choppy for a laggy player, it makes it smooth on their screen, but their game is a few seconds behind other people's games.

Sophia

Save for minor issues with host migration (seems like if it has to migrate host more then once, the game is lost) I really haven't had that many issues with the matchmaking or lag. Before or after patch, it's been pretty smooth sailing. Likewise, I find that the maps are on average better and the perks more balanced then MW2 (Not CoD4 good, however.)

Now, the BULLET lag... that shit really needs fixed. I can't count the numbers of time I've died behind cover on my fingers. :lol

Marrshu said:
Save for minor issues with host migration (seems like if it has to migrate host more then once, the game is lost) I really haven't had that many issues with the matchmaking or lag. Before or after patch, it's been pretty smooth sailing. Likewise, I find that the maps are on average better and the perks more balanced then MW2 (Not CoD4 good, however.)

Now, the BULLET lag... that shit really needs fixed. I can't count the numbers of time I've died behind cover on my fingers. :lol

bullet lag seems like a cod staple since MW.

So I just had one of these incredibly annoying players, almost the worst kind -- a very skilled player who chooses to employ noob tactics to be an asshole -- who would keep camping the tower on Firing Range. He'd be fucking impossible to get down from there, so I eventually had to switch to sniper to try to get him away from there SOMEHOW.

I still couldn't do it! In the time it takes me to find him, scope up, stabilize, hold breath and fire, he'd have killed me 5 times over with this AK74u. Come the fuck on Treyarch. :(

I can't tell you how much I hate the assholes who camp up there.

hamchan

tsigo said:
Why wouldn't a single Semtex or cooked Frag take him out? Flak Jacket?

Yes. I love me some Flak Jacket.

Also I have now realised the power of concussive grenades, use them all the time now.

Sophia

cuevas said:
bullet lag seems like a cod staple since MW.

Yeah, shouldn't be. Seems like it's worse in Modern Warfare 2/BlackOps, however.

Use an ACOG Scope? I honestly refuse to snipe without them, so much I'll run or try to knife rather then pick up a non-ACOG sniper.

G_Berry

Banned
Love how EVERY game of team tactical I join contains fucking clans or boosting assholes.

Way to fuck it up community, you pack of CUNTS!

tsigo said:
Why wouldn't a single Semtex or cooked Frag take him out? Flak Jacket?
Because the little room up there large and blast radius nowadays is tiny. Most players hang out close to the wall towards the west part of the map, while almost all available angles stick semtex on the east wall, which they survive. Most often you can't toss it so it hits the east wall unless you're coming from their direction - and that's the entire problem! Can't get around to their side to flank the fucker!

Very unnecessary part of the map. :(

Edit: Frags work better due to the rolling, I guess, but that's not very fair -- I shouldn't have to change all my loadouts and my playstyle to fit frags because of one absurdly shitty camping spot.

Dresden

Marrshu said:
Use an ACOG Scope? I honestly refuse to snipe without them, so much I'll run or try to knife rather then pick up a non-ACOG sniper.
I can't deal with ACOG snipers at all. It just feels so imprecise and the sway is killer for me.

Marrshu said:
ACOG has always been about trading accuracy for faster scoping, and the accuracy in BO is already low enough...

The problem isn't the scope time anyway, it's the retarded initial sway that I have to fight until I land a tricky shot. Had that not been there, I would've gotten him on the first attempt. :/

Pkm said:
I can't even think of a reason to build to many classes. All I've found is I just have to use..
Ak 47 or 74U
Lightweight or Ghost
Warlord or Slight of Hand
Marathon
Claymore

I'll give you a reason: because it's fun? :) I get bored if I stick to the same gun game after game... Even in the same game I switch classes more than once... I barely use the AK47 for the stupid reason that looks like crap for me, the red dot attachment is ugly as hell... I use the 74u in a class with grip and supressor and it's a great overall gun, I do not consider it a smg though..., but in cqc a PM63 with grip (my favourite smg along with the MLP) will rape you.

I also have lots of fun with the FAL, first I tried it with master key, but I found it too weak, then I switched to noob tube and I always have great games with it... I'm at level 42 and yet it's the first time I use the tube in this game (never used it with scavenger in MW2), you have 1 or 2 kills guaranteed as almost no one uses flat jacket in TDM... I even switched my main class (AUG) to the tube (it's cool how the shape of this weapon changes). Then after a while I'll get bored and I'll switch to another thing... When I get bored of every weapon after 1 or 2 prestiges I'll return to Reach and BC2...

My classes now are AUG (tube or red dot), FAL (tube), AK74u (grip, suppressor), PM63 (grip) and MPL (grip/dual mags). (3000 points more and I'll try the commando).
Perks: Ghost pro (scavenger for the PM63), SoH Pro or Warlord, Ninja pro.

Akim said:
Ahhh, I just went 72-5 on cracked domination.

And your score was...? Do it on team deathmatch, where it will have any value. KD ratio on objective based games is bullshit, you impress no one.

The sniper rifles are so gimped in black ops there is no point using them, a body shot with the bolt action seems to not always kill and in the time it takes to reload the chamber someone with an SMG with grip will just snipe me with two burst shots, balance how does it work!?

I think some of you need to realise that black ops just isn't worth sticking with, it was a fun entertaining game for the first few days but it has so many tiny holes they all add up, and it's a shame.

Zomba13

Just finished blops on regular (couldn't be bothered going through on Vet). I didn't think I'd be saying this but I really really liked the story and characters. Game was pretty much standard CoD though (not in a bad way, just in a more of the same)

Anyone else want someone to make a (very end spoiler)
L4D mod with Kenedy and everyone? I know the Zombie mission was pretty much it, but I mean more of a point A to B rather than survive

Dilly

Banned
Diablohead said:
The sniper rifles are so gimped in black ops there is no point using them, a body shot with the bolt action seems to not always kill and in the time it takes to reload the chamber someone with an SMG with grip will just snipe me with two burst shots, balance how does it work!?

I think some of you need to realise that black ops just isn't worth sticking with, it was a fun entertaining game for the first few days but it has so many tiny holes they all add up, and it's a shame.

I couldn't be happier with nerfed sniping.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
MDavis360 said:
I've been doing a lot of rage quitting tonight. There have been so many times I should have killed someone and yet I got killed.
dealwithit.gif

... Sorry, I've always wanted to do that.

MDavis360 said:
I've been doing a lot of rage quitting tonight. There have been so many times I should have killed someone and yet I got killed.

There's me thinking that the patch fixed the online issues (It did actually feel great the first night) but last night, I couldn't break even with the K/D going as low as 0.43 when I'm normally the opposite.

Shearie

Had my first experience with horrible lag since I got this game on release day. Constantly emptying tons of bullets into dudes that are not even facing me and having them turn around and kill me with a few bullets sucked hard. Also, this game is straight glitchy as hell on the PS3. Other then the technical problems, I absolutely love this game. Sadly, my favorite playlists, barebones pure and team tactical, are the least popular, although I completely understand why.

Just realized something that's AWESOME! It's a tiny little thing that most of us experience but don't think about -- when you switch the game to boot to MP, it skips all the company logos and shit! It just goes immediately to your MP menu. :D

Like I said, tiny thing, but it's just a nice little bonus to shave 30+ seconds off my boot every time. Plus it gives me NES nostalgia -- just power up and you can press start to play within a few seconds. :D

molekiller said:
And your score was...? Do it on team deathmatch, where it will have any value. KD ratio on objective based games is bullshit, you impress no one.
And you don't speak for everyone. 72-5 is a damn good scare regardless of mode or how he played. What nobody cares about is objective whiners who don't understand the game and don't understand how helpful it is to have a guy on your team go 72-5, regardless of how much he's ignoring the flags.

If he's killing 72 guys and only dying 5 times, that means he kept them off the flags even if he intended to or not.

Dilly said:
I couldn't be happier with nerfed sniping.
What an interesting, insightful and productive post. Thank you, sir, for enriching my day.

Why would you even spend energy posting that? You know that's not what balance is.

Here's a fun little sniping montage I made from one match on Grid. Pretty eventful match! It has me doing typical, reactionary quickscopes and noscopes, but I also have a few cool ones like shooting a guy in mid-air, sniping an RC just as the guy launches it and few others.

Check out what happens after I cap the jumper in the beginning if you're one of those people who don't understand the complaints about sniping (especially when you see a clip like this and it looks like sniping works amazingly); that miss I get is some true bullshit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0l_D_ZZbW8

Edit: Shit, shouldn't have put the care package and RC kills right next to each other, makes it look like a sequence. There's a few kills and deaths and some revenge spite going on there between me and him, that's how come I know he's in that corner launching an RC.

Hubba-EX

Neo Member
G_Berry said:
Love how EVERY game of team tactical I join contains fucking clans or boosting assholes.

Way to fuck it up community, you pack of CUNTS!

You have a problem with clans playing TT. OK...

And you don't speak for everyone. 72-5 is a damn good scare regardless of mode or how he played.

I've seen 100+ kills, so this does not impress me at all. In domination is far easier to get killstreaks if you forget about the objectives, how many of these kills were from chopper gunner or dogs?

snap0212

Here's a fun little sniping montage I made from one match on Grid. Pretty eventful match! It has me doing typical, reactionary quickscopes and noscopes, but I also have a few cool ones like shooting a guy in mid-air, sniping an RC just as the guy launches it and few others.

Check out what happens after I cap the jumper in the beginning if you're one of those people who don't understand the complaints about sniping (especially when you see a clip like this and it looks like sniping works amazingly); that miss I get is some true bullshit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0l_D_ZZbW8
Nice clips. :) The sniper rifle is now my most used weapon (according to the stats) and I begin to really like it. Got my first triple headshot yesterday. It's impossible to get a couple of (fast) kills in a row, though. There are just things you cannot predict. :/ No scoping, however, seems to be easier than in MW2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06_cJX3gnEY

If he's killing 72 guys and only dying 5 times, that means he kept them off the flags even if he intended to or not.

Well that's bollocks. Maybe they (the other team) had all the flags and were running into him whilst looking for people to kill? Going 72/5 in a game of domination could mean he was an absolute god, or absolutely terrible at it. But lets face it, going positive like that in Domination is far more easier in that game mode over the others, even when your team is losing.

When people start boasting about capping all flags in CTF, or capping 10+ in Dom or several plants in Sabo, then I'll be impressed.

snap0212 said:
Nice clips. :) The sniper rifle is now my most used weapon (according to the stats) and I begin to really like it. Got my first triple headshot yesterday. It's impossible to get a couple of (fast) kills in a row, though. There are just things you cannot predict. :/ No scoping, however, seems to be easier than in MW2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06_cJX3gnEY
Nice shots! I've never gotten a longshot noscope myself... Probably because I don't try. That clip in mine, at the end, is the first time I've ever tried a ranged noscope and I got a hitmarker for it! :lol

MarkMclovin said:
Well that's bollocks. Maybe they (the other team) had all the flags and were running into him whilst looking for people to kill? Going 72/5 in a game of domination could mean he was an absolute god, or absolutely terrible at it. But lets face it, going positive like that in Domination is far more easier in that game mode over the others, even when your team is losing.

When people start boasting about capping all flags in CTF, or capping 10+ in Dom or several plants in Sabo, then I'll be impressed.
Eh, yes, theoretically it is possible that he somehow managed to avoid all encounters close to all flags (despite the flags being strategically placed to create bottlenecks) and that somehow the rest of his team was so bad that they didn't manage to cap one single flag despite having a death machine teammate, but it's pretty unlikely!

The much more likely situation is that the gaffer and his team had two flags and locked the enemy team in a spawn around the one flag they do have, and then they went to town and got kills without even needing to worry about the flags. It's what happens in like 50% of Domination games and is not a very unlikely scenario...

Fast edit: Oh, and the only thing easier in an objective mode is the predictability of enemy spawns. That's it. It's not like playing an objective mode will somehow allow you to aim better, react faster or create better strategical situations.

iNvid02

MarkMclovin said:

i have a really good game where i cap flags and hit 50 kills, but if your going for as many kills as possible like most people are, you wont be able to hit those higher numbers if your capping flags.

solution is to get a good team who you know can hold flags once you've helped them capture 2, and keep them spawn trapped at the 3rd for kills galore

snap0212

Nice shots! I've never gotten a longshot noscope myself... Probably because I don't try. That clip in mine, at the end, is the first time I've ever tried a ranged noscope and I got a hitmarker for it! :lol
Yeah, those hitmarkers suck. I don't know the name of the map, but in this video there's a good spot to practice long range no scopes, 360 quick scopes and stuff like that. You're also helping your team by killing everyone who gets near the B-Flag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_du52aRBEzg (I know that I used one shot twice). :lol

Sophia

ACOG has always been about trading accuracy for faster scoping, and the accuracy in BO is already low enough...

I've honestly had no problems with ACOG sniping. =/

(i'd type a longer post but I'm on the PS3, no access to a p.c. atm... )

Top Bottom