• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

3ur4zn said:
RE: the headshot debate

In WaW, a headshot was an instant kill, even if it were the first bullet to connect. It also made that wondrous *DINK* noise that warmed the cockles of my heart.

...no? Headshots have always just been a multiplier. I don't really play Harcore, but from what I understand that multiplier is enough for an insta-kill. In regular that's not the case.

http://denkirson.xanga.com/681779326/call-of-duty-world-at-war/#top6

The exception was of course the MP40, which Denkirson shows as being bugged on consoles and doing 50-29 damage instead of 40-29 on PC. 50 damage is enough to be a one-shot-headshot with stopping power.

aku:jiki

Stantron said:
I'm considering to upgrade my 20Mbps Comcast to 50Mbps for an extra $50 for a month just to test out if my experience improves. Maybe the game will pick me as host more often? Anyone have any insights if this would help, or is the game's net code is just shitty and your connection doesn't really matter???
All of my crew of around a dozen play on various highspeed broadband connections and we all have the same problems. Don't think you need to spend any money. :/

Then again, you probably need to ask the GAF posters who are having zero problems with both lag and hit detection. They'll hook you up with the super-secret ISP they're playing on. :lol

Stantron said:
I'm considering to upgrade my 20Mbps Comcast to 50Mbps for an extra $50 for a month just to test out if my experience improves. Maybe the game will pick me as host more often? Anyone have any insights if this would help, or is the game's net code is just shitty and your connection doesn't really matter???

I have the 20Mbps Comcast, and I don't experience anything particularly gamebreaking - at least, nothing worse than what you saw in MW2, W@W, or CoD4. We've been getting shot around corners for years - nothing short of completely rebuilding the netcode for these games is going to change that.

divisionbyzorro said:
...no? Headshots have always just been a multiplier. I don't really play Harcore, but from what I understand that multiplier is enough for an insta-kill. In regular that's not the case.

http://denkirson.xanga.com/681779326/call-of-duty-world-at-war/#top6

The exception was of course the MP40, which Denkirson shows as being bugged on consoles and doing 50-29 damage instead of 40-29 on PC. 50 damage is enough to be a one-shot-headshot with stopping power.

I played on 360, admittedly using mostly MP40 and the STG, and headshots were insta-kills.

I just played a match with an invincible player on my team. I'm not talking about "So good he can't be killed" either, he was knifed in the back twice and didn't die. Ended up 29/0.

Looking back on the video I didn't see him do anything to glitch the game, so has it been hacked or something? This can be very bad if it catches on.

Also: I really need to give up on these headshot contracts. I've shot people point blank in the face and it still didn't register as a headshot. So many points though I have a hard time passing them up, plus there's not many good alternatives on the third tier contracts.

Stantron said:
I'm on 360 as well. I'm not noticing any major framerate problems in MP, but the lag and hit detection is a serious problem for me too. Dying behind corners, kill cam discrepancies, all that BS. A few times, I noticed that I put several shots into an enemy as my magazine emptied, yet the guy doesn't die until I've already started my reload animation. It's subtle, but this leads me to believe that I'm probably spending more than necessary shots to take dudes out normally.

Have you guys played any cod game post cod2 on consoles? This has always been the case, it's something we've learned to live with. I don't think it's worse because I was playing cod4 over thanksgiving and it was just as bad as I remember.

cuevas said:
Have you guys played any cod game post cod2 on consoles? This has always been the case, it's something we've learned to live with. I don't think it's worse because I was playing cod4 over thanksgiving and it was just as bad as I remember.

Yep! I've noticed it more and more, but that's because I'm actually getting somewhat good at these games. I graduated W@W with a 1.0 K/D; when I died in that game, it was usually because I deserved it. I left MW2 with a 1.38, and I currently have a 1.9 in Black Ops (or somewhere around there - I'm low enough after prestiging that I can't see my Combat Record right now). I notice those sorts of deaths now because I'm good enough to notice when it was my fault and when it wasn't.

I been playing based on Maxilmillan's Jungle video, and man has my game improved. I'm slowing down my game-no more rushing, and just being smart about advancing, and using Blackbird+Chopper Gunner. I just unlocked Dogs, but I haven't gotten a chance to call them in.

divisionbyzorro said:
I have the 20Mbps Comcast, and I don't experience anything particularly gamebreaking - at least, nothing worse than what you saw in MW2, W@W, or CoD4. We've been getting shot around corners for years - nothing short of completely rebuilding the netcode for these games is going to change that.
I respect you as a fellow poster and CoD player, man, which is why I get so confused when you post this. It's so blatantly untrue! Did you really go back and play the others? If not, I really think you need to.

If you did and Black Ops performs as well as MW2 for you, then that's awesome, but the rest of us aren't having that experience. I really can't believe some of the deaths I get in Blops... :/

MDavis360 said:
I been playing based on Maxilmillan's Jungle video, and man has my game improved. I'm slowing down my game-no more rushing, and just being smart about advancing, and using Blackbird+Chopper Gunner. I just unlocked Dogs, but I haven't gotten a chance to call them in.

Well yeah if you camp against bad people of course you are going to get long killstreaks. He didn't even move around 3/4 of the map in that video.

aku:jiki said:
I respect you as a fellow poster and CoD player, man, which is why I get so confused when you post this. It's so blatantly untrue! Did you really go back and play the others? If not, I really think you need to.

If you did and Black Ops performs as well as MW2 for you, then that's awesome, but the rest of us aren't having that experience. I really can't believe some of the deaths I get in Blops... :/

I think I had more wonky kills in MW2 than in BLOPS. I'm not saying I don't see glitches but it isn't common.

My sample size is certainly smaller than yours; I've just barely cracked 24 hours with this game so far, and I know you've easily got 3 or 4 times that, so take my experience with a grain of salt. And like I said earlier - I've gotten vastly better at CoD since moving to Black Ops, and I'm trying to account for that when comparing experiences (i.e., what I would rage-blame on lag in MW2 would often just be me being stupid and exposing myself for too long). I've definitely been killed after running around a corner in Blops, but I know it happened all the time in MW2 as well.

And of course I'm far less frustrated overall playing Blops than MW2 (wager matches notwithstanding :D), so that's likely playing into my perception as well.

cuevas said:
Well yeah if you camp against bad people of course you are going to get long killstreaks. He didn't even move around 3/4 of the map in that video.

The whole "bad people" argument gets really old.

News flash: You can only get insanely good scores against people who are worse than you. We know. Move on.

Max

I am not Max
i haven't played it maybe a week because every time i start up blackopsmp.exe it freezes at the menu

anyone else having the same problem?

ok so I'm playing on 360-playing a match in Jungle. Every now and then I'll see the "Connection Interupted" logo for about 3 or 4 seconds, then it goes away and I'm slightly off where I was before. Is this someone lagswitching? If so I'm going to go into theater mode and report that fucker.

divisionbyzorro said:

News flash: You can only get insanely good scores against people who are worse than you. We know. Move on.
Probably 90% of people who play this game are bad so yeah its a terrible argument.

divisionbyzorro said:
I've definitely been killed after running around a corner in Blops, but I know it happened all the time in MW2 as well.
Oh, running around corner killsare the same as ever! What's new in Black Ops is when you sneak up behind a guy who has no idea you're there, you unload into his back and yet, somehow, you still die. That might've happend here and there in previous games, but it's happening to me in almost every game of Blops. Like you say, any experienced CoD player develops a sense for the typical lag and what's going on in Blops is not jiving with what went on in the previous games for me.

divisionbyzorro said:

Not to mention the fact that they forget the flipside of the argument; how do they propose to know that the other team are worse players? How would you tell if he's playing 6 noobs or 6 of the best players in the world? Considering how fast you go down in CoD, there wouldn't be any difference in the end result.

People who watch these videos tend to think the other team is like a hive mind, or that they even attempt to communicate at all. The real secret to YouTube videos is that this, of course, is the opposite of the truth. You get this kind of game when you play a team of randoms who are not letting each other know what's going on, that's really it. It's not because they're especially unskilled or stupid.

Oh and they're running because what he's aiming at is a spawn point. If you're trying to claim that you creep out of your spawn with your dukes up every single time, you're a fucking liar. Everybody gets frustrated and mad dashes out of spawn, which ends up in this. Which, in turn, ends up in them getting more frustrated and less tactical and dying even more, and so on. Which ends up in 9999-2 for Max.

But, as always, this if GAF, so... LOL WHY U PLAYING AGAINST NOOBZ MAX U A SCRUB :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Awesome Animals said:
I'm bad *wave* (At the very least not good) but getting better. I enjoy myself, and that is what matters.

That's when you know you have a good game, its fun for the hardcore gotta win players like me and people who just want to get better and enjoy themselves for a little while. Also it's not that hard to get better at cod, just gotta keep at it. I started with a 1 K/D in cod4 at about 2 weeks played and by the time I was done with it it was up to 2.

cwmartin

cuevas said:
That's when you know you have a good game, its fun for the hardcore gotta win players like me and people who just want to get better and enjoy themselves for a little while. Also it's not that hard to get better at cod, just gotta keep at it. I started with a 1 K/D in cod4 at about 2 weeks played and by the time I was done with it it was up to 2.

What if you won but your K/D wasnt positive? world over?

NYR

zlatko said:
Edit: Wow! Elpresador just put up his BEST commentary ever. I died laughing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdJDWjOf_Ww
THE KING!

bow_kneelsuckers.gif

Oh, running around corner killsare the same as ever! What's new in Black Ops is when you sneak up behind a guy who has no idea you're there, you unload into his back and yet, somehow, you still die. That might've happend here and there in previous games, but it's happening to me in almost every game of Blops. Like you say, any experienced CoD player develops a sense for the typical lag and what's going on in Blops is not jiving with what went on in the previous games for me.

I can't recall being turned on in Blops, but I've definitely done it to other players, so perhaps I've just gotten lucky so far. :lol

I will say this: I do often feel like I've gotten screwed by lag with panic-knifing - I feel like I lose every knife encounter. In MW2 I always just blamed it on Commando and moved on; here it definitely feels far too random for my taste.

People who watch these videos tend to think the other team is like a hive mind, or that they even attempt to communicate at all. The real secret to YouTube videos is that this, of course, is the opposite of the truth. You get this kind of game when you play a team of randoms who are not letting each other know what's going on, that's really it. It's not because they're especially unskilled or stupid.

Good point. They don't necessarily have to be horrible players; just being selfish is enough. "Why should I shoot down the air support? Someone else will do it!" Heaven knows that I've done that before, and in a wide-open map you need multiple people with launchers to shoot that shit out of the sky. All it takes is a couple of below-average players on a team to feed killstreaks to one guy on the other team, and then general selfishness from everyone else to let those streaks wreck shop.

cuevas said:

I'm creeping towards a 1:1 K/D :lol

The only thing that bothers me is when people don't go for objectives in objective play, but that seems to be flattening out as people reach rank 50 and choose not to prestige. I had many good objective matches today, which was a satisfying change. And by good I mean close games.

cwmartin said:
What if you won but your K/D wasnt positive? world over?

I don't get the question, my K/D is never negative. :D

divisionbyzorro said:
I have a friend who constantly complains about people not playing the objective when we play Domination, but his solution of constantly throwing his body at Bravo is not the solution! I know I don't have that many captures to my name, but there is something called "map control," and it's simply not worth trying to capture a point if the enemy has it covered! :lol

Yes, there are plenty of selfish players who refuse to play the objective, but blindly throwing yourself at the objective isn't helpful either, especially if you're just feeding the enemy killstreaks. It takes all kinds to win.

Or the idiots who take the other team's spawn point in domination and it gets taken back in 3 seconds. Great, you capped something but didn't help the team win.

Awesome Animals said:
The only thing that bothers me is when people don't go for objectives in objective play, but that seems to be flattening out as people reach rank 50 and choose not to prestige. I had many good objective matches today, which was a satisfying change. And by good I mean close games.

I have a friend who constantly complains about people not playing the objective when we play Domination, but his solution of constantly throwing his body at Bravo is not the solution! I know I don't have that many captures to my name, but there is something called "map control," and it's simply not worth trying to capture a point if the enemy has it covered! :lol

Yes, there are plenty of selfish players who refuse to play the objective, but blindly throwing yourself at the objective isn't helpful either, especially if you're just feeding the enemy killstreaks. It takes all kinds to win.

cuevas said:
Or the idiots who take the other team's spawn point in domination and it gates taken back in 3 seconds. Great, you capped something but didn't help the team win.

Yes - teammates who triple-cap in Domination piss me off to no end...

divisionbyzorro said:

Agreed, but I don't even see that much anymore.

NYR

Patrick Bateman said:
Finally got Ghost Pro. Nobody uses Sentry Guns in this game...
Yep, pretty much. Only way I got it was calling in a Sentry Gun near the enemy spawn, wait for someone to steal it, stalk that mother fucker, knife him in the back, followed up with a knife to the Sentry.

Further, Sentry should be used more, especially in Domination and Demolition. Locks down a section pretty well...gets me more kills then the mortar strike, which I suck at using.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Are there people who post like clan-only private match videos or anything? Presumably those are less "show off-y" and actually demonstrate some skill.

A whole team using Second Chance Pro, for example, could probably clean up in TDM.

Love me some Second Chance Pro. :D Had a game on Summit where me and a teammate caught three guys bursting through a doorway. I cap the foremost one with my AUG, get dropped by the other two in the crossfire, take out the second guy as I hit the ground with my Makarov, then twist and get the assist by helping my teammate with the third, who must've thought his buddy would handle me and had stepped deeper into the room after mine. Then the ungrateful SOB starts to leave with me still laying on the floor, so I popped a few more caps at the doorjamb by his head to get his attention. :p He thought the better of leaving me there on my back (was probably thinking it was one of the three in Second Chance and was relieved to see it was a teammate reloading his pistol while laying on his back instead).

I finally got around to beating the campaign. On Recruit, cause who gives a shit. This isn't a game I play for the challenge.

I think Treyarch did a great job with the campaign. The
interrogation of the protagonist
made for a neat storytelling device, and it was fun having missions spanning various locations and conflicts.
And I'm glad they found a way to fit Nazis in there, cause killing Nazis is fun.

Perhaps I'll finally get around to finishing MW2 single player while I'm at it.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
I quite like how they decided to rank leaderboards by score per minute. Does wonders for my rank lol.

So I'm now suddenly having trouble connecting to the Call of Duty servers, but I can connect to XBOX live. Anyone know of any resources I can use to get this sorted out. The same thing is happening with FIFA and the EA Servers. It is frustrating. I just want to play!

jedimike

After prestiging in MW2, I've decided against it in Black Ops. There just doesn't seem to be any value to doing it. I don't use the 5 custom slots I have...

Anyone else not going to prestige in Black Ops but have in the past?

tsigo

Fucking had it with this game. Why does it drop frames like crazy when I'm the host and I get near areas of intense action? Have to rename this shit to host disadvantage. Makes me want to just dashboard every time I get host.

I was teamed up with someone named "Michael Vick." I might've thought that was in poor taste, until our opponents called in the Attack Dogs and Mr. Vick wasn't running Ghost Pro. :lol

kuYuri

Freezie KO said:
I was teamed up with someone named "Michael Vick." I might've thought that was in poor taste, until our opponents called in the Attack Dogs and Mr. Vick wasn't running Ghost Pro. :lol

I just ran into someone with the name [Mike]Vicks Prize Dog or something like that. What the hell? :lol

I have to convince myself that I am playing "Wanted: Call of duty" when I play this game. It is the only way I can justify dying around corners, they are able to bend bullets.

After a real mediocre game of 12-11, I went to turn the game off but said to myself "aww shucks one more game,why not."

I then went 24-1 on Crisis on TDM running AK47 Hardline\Hardened\Hacker after that I turned that fugger off, end it on the high note.

jedimike said:
After prestiging in MW2, I've decided against it in Black Ops. There just doesn't seem to be any value to doing it. I don't use the 5 custom slots I have...

Anyone else not going to prestige in Black Ops but have in the past?
Really not following your logic, man, considering this is the first CoD title ever to give you any other rward but class slots... This is the only game so far to offer any value at all!

Stantron said:
Wish this game had more slots to save emblems...
Yeah! I hate that... I've got an emblem people seem to like so I'd love to keep it for the future, at the same time as I've gotten bored of it and want to make a new one. :/

Top Bottom