• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

Hopefully treyarch realizes that the best way to balance snipers is too make quick-scoping work with everything that can't OHK with a chest shot.

That and make the PSG1 have a 1.4 multiplier for the chest and biceps. That way the gun OHKs anywhere but the legs if the enemy has taken any damage at all.

I must say though, in spite of the lack of sniper use, I do feel like this game is better at weapon variety than MW2. For starters the LMGs are actually useful because they either have superior damage per minute (stoner, midrange M60) or have decent damage and better hipfire than an assault rifle (HK, RPK). Where-as in MW2 it was just interventions, ARs, UMPs, and spas-12s.

TestOfTide said:
Hopefully treyarch realizes that the best way to balance snipers is too make quick-scoping work with everything that can't OHK with a chest shot.

That and make the PSG1 have a 1.4 multiplier for the chest and biceps. That way the gun OHKs anywhere but the legs if the enemy has taken any damage at all.

I must say though, in spite of the lack of sniper use, I do feel like this game is better at weapon variety than MW2. For starters the LMGs are actually useful because they either have superior damage per minute (stoner, midrange M60) or have decent damage and better hipfire than an assault rifle (HK, RPK). Where-as in MW2 it was just interventions, ARs, UMPs, and spas-12s.

I'm working on getting Scout Pro (last Pro perk I've got left), and one thing I noticed is how I wish Scout and Hardened were on separate tiers.

GeekyDad

Tkawsome said:
Looking back on the video I didn't see him do anything to glitch the game, so has it been hacked or something? This can be very bad if it catches on.

If it's the PS3 version, then no, I don't think that's an issue to worry about. Can't speak to the 360 version, though.

It was likely a glitch. I think others have reported seeing similar things happen to players on occasion.

As a sort of aside (though somewhat related), it boggles my mind why Activision would allow any problems, no matter how small, go unchecked with a game in the CoD series. At this point, this franchise is their bread & butter. Smaller companies have done more to keep fans happy with their games. Activision, on the other hand, wants to spit these things out once a year, and now they're considering charging a subscription in the future? Sure, this series is great, but even Goliath was easily knocked over with a single stone. They should get their shit together before thinking about asking for more money.

aku:jiki

TestOfTide said:

I have to completely disagree with this. I see no way this would make sniping with the L96A1, which is really what this is about, any more fun. The majority of the sniping community has no interest in the semi-action rifles. Maybe you do, and that's cool, but the rest of us are all about the L96A1, and it's being fucked up by the pointless initial sway and the retarded random miss effect. Those are the problems that need to be adressed, messing around with other stuff will not make L96 sniping fun.

TestOfTide said:
Have to say that I'm not following your logic here either... Just because people use LMG's here, that negates the fact that 90% of people in BO use the AK74u? I think the AK74u obsession is much worse than the UMP45 ever was, comparable to the MP40 in WaW. MW2 had tac-knifers, shotgun runners, RPG-whores, tubers, Javelin spammers, etc, etc. All horrible strategies, sure, but there were definitely more of them available than there are in BO.

Plus, you're forgetting that the RPD was easily one of the most powerful weapons in MW2. Two bullet kill at any range.

Jrmint

I think you're treating the 74u as much more overpowered than it actually is. Sure it's a nice gun, but I really only use it on close quarters maps like Nuketown or Summit.

At medium to long range, which most of these maps encourage I have had the best success with the AUG. The AUG in this game is amazing. It has the same damage per bullet and rpm as the Famas, but the recoil goes up instead of in a circle. This makes it great bc if you aim at the body it will usually turn into a headshot. I think when using the AUG my K/D ratio is something like 3.5.

Anyway, the 74u is much more balanced than the UMP was in MW2, or the M16 was in MW. There are plenty of weapons that outclass it at range.

aku:jiki said:
Have to say that I'm not following your logic here either... Just because people use LMG's here, that negates the fact that 90% of people in BO use the AK74u? I think the AK74u obsession is much worse than the UMP45 ever was, comparable to the MP40 in WaW. MW2 had tac-knifers, shotgun runners, RPG-whores, tubers, Javelin spammers, etc, etc. All horrible strategies, sure, but there were definitely more of them available than there are in BO.
Exaggerate much? You know you can look at your stats as to what gun killed you...I'd be very surprised if it was even 50% in your case. I know for myself that the AK74U has killed me more than any other gun, but it was only a little above the Galil and Famas and when measured overall, it's probably less than 30%(I'd have to add all the numbers up to check). Sadly I had a great deal of knifing deaths...I feel like I win maybe 1 out of 10 knifing battles.

BigBlue1974 said:
Exaggerate much? You know you can look at your stats as to what gun killed you...I'd be very surprised if it was even 50% in your case. I know for myself that the AK74U has killed me more than any other gun, but it was only a little above the Galil and Famas and when measured overall, it's probably less than 30%(I'd have to add all the numbers up to check). Sadly I had a great deal of knifing deaths...I feel like I win maybe 1 out of 10 knifing battles.
Of course I'm exaggerating. I don't really see why it would be better that some people prefer the Galil over the AK74u, they're both as ridiculously popular (with good reason, they are not balanced with the other weapons in their class and are, in fact, superior). I don't have access to my stats either, but I'm willing to bet it's like 20% AK74u, 20% Galil, 20% FAMAS and every other weapon in the game has to share the remaining 40%.

(I went to CoD.com to check, and wtf, the BO site doesn't have the online stats?! Why wouldn't they just cut and paste the code from the same feature for WaW, if they didn't have time to code a new one? WTF Treyarch.)

Of course I'm exaggerating. I don't really see why it would be better that some people prefer the Galil over the AK74u, they're both as ridiculously popular (with good reason, they are not balanced with the other weapons in their class and are, in fact, superior). I don't have access to my stats either, but I'm willing to bet it's like 20% AK74u, 20% Galil, 20% FAMAS and every other weapon in the game has to share the remaining 40%.

(I went to CoD.com to check, and wtf, the BO site doesn't have the online stats?! Why wouldn't they just cut and paste the code from the same feature for WaW, if they didn't have time to code a new one? WTF Treyarch.)
Well I will say that yeah those three guns did seem to dominate in terms of what I'd been killed by. I was only glancing at the stats. I actually do have to give credit to Treyarch because they track a lot more stats than IW did, although they did used to have them online in WaW I guess so weird they wouldn't continue with that.

BigBlue1974 said:
they did used to have them online in WaW I guess so weird they wouldn't continue with that.
My mistake, I remember why it's not there now... The same feature in WaW broke permanently earlier this year, around april or so. I remember because it happened like a month before I bought the game (never bought it back when it came out). The online stat tracker couldn't fetch stats from the game servers so if you started late, like me, you had 0 kills with everything and it could never update.

I guess they just never figured out how to fix it. Oh well, in-game stats are awesome too. :D

Stantron

divisionbyzorro said:
I actually really like that tool. It's an easy way to mess around with different ideas without having to risk your current emblem.
You can go into your in-game emblem editor, delete all layers, mess about, then exit without saving too.

Stantron said:
You can go into your in-game emblem editor, delete all layers, mess about, then exit without saving too.

I guess I'm just more comfortable with a mouse! It took me forever to make my emblem in BO, but this comes much more naturally for me. I screwed around with it a little longer and made these
kinda shitty
emblems. It really is impressive what you can do with the emblem editor in this game!

Giant Bomb has a pretty good thread on player emblems. Obscene emblems are not excluded, so take care if you're browsing at work.

http://www.giantbomb.com/call-of-du...iveobscene-black-ops-emblems-here/35-465237/?

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
But, as always, this if GAF, so... LOL WHY U PLAYING AGAINST NOOBZ MAX U A SCRUB :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I KNOW RITE?! LOL WHY AM I SO BAD?

Also to chime in on this 74u discussion...it's not nearly as powerful as people are making it out to be. Comparing it to the UMP? Wow guys, that delusional?

In any situation you try to shoot at someone more than 50 feet away with the 74u, the distance to damage drop off on SMG's in Black Ops is friggin BRUTAL. It's the best weapon by far for mid-close range combat, but it's not jesus-in-a-gun. Come on.

Also, new video.

FAL Domination
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niA28QlA6Bg

Commentary replaced by easy to apply 80's dance music.

X26

Banned
One of the biggest improvement they can make in the next game is no more chopper gunners, jeesh they're dumb. I look at the average high presitged guy and it seems half their kills are from the chopper gunner or he gunship. Most people are still too dumb to have a

And no this isn't a rage post, I've only been killed by the chopper gunner 21 times sofar even after hitting prestige 3 since I shoot them down myself, but using it and seeing it be used in-game or on combat records it really shouldn't be in the game, for the most part it's just a way for campers to pad their all important K/D.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
X26 said:
One of the biggest improvement they can make in the next game is no more RC cars, jeesh they're dumb. I look at the average high presitged guy and it seems half their deaths are from the RC-XD.

I fixed your statement, just a little.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
X26 said:
everytime a RC-XD prevents you from reaching the chopper gunner an angel gets its wings

Strela-3 <3 And it's not the Chopper Gunner I'm after most the time, it's the Woof Woofs. Can't lock on to those. Until Black Ops 2, where there will be a Chopper Gunner that shoots dogs.

Infinity

How's the PC version these days?

Specifically, how is MP? Cheating rampant already?

PC version always looks so good, but I got burned on MW cheaters.

vangace

Haven't been keeping up with this thread but after playing a couple of games last night, its amazing how many people are cheating. Played with a guy last night who went 50 - 0. When l looked at the replay, it was so clear that he was using some kind of "god mode" cheat. Hopefully, Treyarch will do something about this.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
LeMaximilian said:
Strela-3 <3 And it's not the Chopper Gunner I'm after most the time, it's the Woof Woofs. Can't lock on to those. Until Black Ops 2, where there will be a Chopper Gunner that shoots dogs.

One of the Tactical Grenade items should be steaks that you can throw to distract dogs. :lol

GeekyDad

I was actually surprised at how easy it is to kill the dogs. Now, whenever I hear they're being called in against me, I camp a nice choke point and pick them off.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
vangace said:
Haven't been keeping up with this thread but after playing a couple of games last night, its amazing how many people are cheating. Played with a guy last night who went 50 - 0. When l looked at the replay, it was so clear that he was using some kind of "god mode" cheat. Hopefully, Treyarch will do something about this.

I'll be putting up a video tonight of me going 70-0...maybe it'll be to obvious that I'm using a Gameshark tho.

firehawk12 said:
One of the Tactical Grenade items should be steaks that you can throw to distract dogs. :lol

Clearly, the concepts for the successful future of the COD franchise reside here on Gaf.

kilongs said:
lol, great song choice. This song always reminds me of Short Circuit 2: "Come on Johnny 5 dont die! You can make it!"

Nailed my inspiration for the song. "Oscar, you will not get away. I am really pissed off!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l30sOEv_JUc

tsigo

Has anyone found a reticle that they feel works better than the default small dot? I've tried a few and kept going back to the default after they felt like they were reducing my vision.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
tsigo said:
Has anyone found a reticle that they feel works better than the default small dot? I've tried a few and kept going back to the default after they felt like they were reducing my vision.

Predator reticle. Embrace it.

dakster

Neo Member
They need to fix the freezing when awaiting other players. I get this at least twice a night. I see plenty o other people get it too. Fucking ridiculous to be honest. How the hell did this get released for PS3 without this being fixed? There is no way in hell they didn't know about it.

Cheers treyarse! I'll Just hard reset my PS3 cause you released a broken game on the PS3!

Shouldn't let it get to me, but this bug has been here since day one, and it's still not fixed.

firehawk12 said:

Similar to Counter Spy Plane, you should be able to call in Distraction Cats as a 4 kill streak.

tsigo said:
I quite like Lines with Dot. The lines don't really get in the way and the dot itself is slightly more precise than the default one.

Aggrotek

168.jpg

Best I could do.

Looks better on my profile.

Xux

divisionbyzorro said:
...no? Headshots have always just been a multiplier. I don't really play Harcore, but from what I understand that multiplier is enough for an insta-kill. In regular that's not the case.

http://denkirson.xanga.com/681779326/call-of-duty-world-at-war/#top6

The exception was of course the MP40, which Denkirson shows as being bugged on consoles and doing 50-29 damage instead of 40-29 on PC. 50 damage is enough to be a one-shot-headshot with stopping power.

...no? (jk :lol ) 50 damage turns into 98 damage with Stopping Power and a head shot (they're both 1.4x multipliers.)

Mileena

Banned
The 74u definitely isn't as OP as you guys make it out to be. It's great close range but at a distance it takes like 5-6 bullets which is just shitty. That's primarily why I stick to hardcore.

This game desperately needs a patch. It has the worst hitboxes and registry I've seen in a CoD game. It's like I'm playing CS:S ffs.

Aggrotek said:
168.jpg

Best I could do.

Looks better on my profile.

Where are you guys uploading the emblems from? Are you just taking a photo and cropping it or is there a site I can go to?

:lol
Never mind, it's on this page. Wait, never mind again, it's a recreation thing.

Xux said:
...no? (jk :lol ) 50 damage turns into 98 damage with Stopping Power and a head shot (they're both 1.4x multipliers.)

Good catch; my mental math estimate was slightly off! I guess there really isn't a fully auto OHK weapon in the COD series is there?

vangace said:

Ahh ha ha ha :lol :lol That's gold.

divisionbyzorro said:
Ahh ha ha ha :lol :lol That's gold.

Yep, I posted about something similar yesterday as well. He got shot up/blown up/ stabbed in the back three times in a row and still didn't die. It was funny because I kept finding him getting shot up by three guys at once and I would run in to save his ass. I thought I was doing so good until I saw the score with no deaths and watched the replay.

Tkawsome said:
Yep, I posted about something similar yesterday as well. He got shot up/blown up/ stabbed in the back three times in a row and still didn't die. It was funny because I kept finding him getting shot up by three guys at once and I would run in to save his ass. I thought I was doing so good until I saw the score with no deaths and watched the replay.

Can you clip out a segment showing this happening and upload it?

LeMaximilian said:
Also, new video.

FAL Domination
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niA28QlA6Bg

Commentary replaced by easy to apply 80's dance music.

Great vid!

I tried out the M14 at one point (w/grip) and hated it, and pretty much gave up on semi-autos as a result, but I've actually done pretty well with FALs that I've picked up. Is that just in my head, or would you agree that the FAL feels better than the M14?

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
divisionbyzorro said:
I tried out the M14 at one point (w/grip) and hated it, and pretty much gave up on semi-autos as a result, but I've actually done pretty well with FALs that I've picked up. Is that just in my head, or would you agree that the FAL feels better than the M14?

Used the m14 for half a prestige while waiting for the FAL. FAL's much better.

LeMaximilian said:
Used the m14 for half a prestige while waiting for the FAL. FAL's much better.

Hmm. I'll give it another chance when I unlock it this prestige.

Tkawsome said:
Bam!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6nJ8QVS6YI&feature=player_embedded

Guys name is [3388]darkyoshilord. It's only one example, but the most glaring.

That's damn incriminating. It's not possible to browse random people's history and bring it into theater, is it? I'd like to see if that happens in all his games, or if a host migration or other such glitch temporarily gave him that power.

Sigh. If its not a lost connection, its a failed host migration. If its not that its a host migration that simply freezes forever.

Come the fuck on.

X26

Banned
jonnybryce said:
Sigh. If its not a lost connection, its a failed host migration. If its not that its a host migration that simply freezes forever.

Come the fuck on.

Yea it seems a lot worse for me now than it did at launch, trying to play a bit now and it's a huge headache

Yeah its been noticeably worse today.

In other news, 22-0 on Villa TDM just now. Chopper Gunner <3. My life has become obtaining the chopper gunner. That is always #1 on my mind and I use hardline pro, spy plane and blackbird to help achieve this goal.

Top Bottom