• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

Hubba-EX

Neo Member
Chittagong said:
Am I right assuming no skill based match making is used, that it's random?

I am also interested to know how the matchmaking process works aswell.

In normal TDM we (party of 3/4 uaually) are often playing a batch of under lvl 25, 0 prest. players. Why is that even allowed. My TDM k/d for this month is around 4.5 with 3.60 pts p/m.

Chittagong said:
Am I right assuming no skill based match making is used, that it's random?

Correct. COD has never done skill-based matchmaking. For one, they want to prioritize speed of matchmaking over skill so that you don't have to wait as long for a game (compared your average wait for a Halo match to the average wait for a COD match). Second, they get shitloads of amazing and free advertising from videos of people putting up amazing scores on YouTube - which would happen much. Less with skill-based matchmaking. The "meat" on XBL are apparently content to get wrecked game after game, so why not let them get matched against skilled players so they can get some Chopper Gunners?

I would much prefer skill-based matchmaking over what we have now.

lazytonberry said:
Man, yesterday I encountered the first quick-scopers I've seen in this game. One game had two guys doing it, and later on had another game with one guy.

These guys were running around with the L96A1 or whatever and pulling up the scope for like half a second and getting ridiculous one-hit kills with them. I thought the sway was supposed to fix this?

Don't exactly know what these guys were doing or how, but it was really starting to piss me off playing against them. I hope it doesn't spread.

Yeah, I just caught wind of this for the first time yesterday too. Fought 2 guys on Cracked, and they were definitely quickscoping. This is my favorite CoD yet so far, but nothing will sour me faster than if this becomes as big as it was in MW and MW2.

In other news, had my best game ever this weekend. Domination, Villa - 38-1, 5 captures, 10 defends!

eek5

Lionheart1827 said:
According to Vonderhaar they are very slowly decreasing the nerf to get to a sweet spot. I'm wondering if people either have gotten really good at it or if its the fact of the slight de-nerfing. I guess well see. Still hardly ever seen snipers though.

From the thread it sounds like it is going to be part of the title update, not server-side updates like the other patches. It is still possible to use the L96A1 to kill, but I wouldn't really consider it quickscoping. You have to hardscope the gun and wait for the game to switch over from hipfire to ADS accuracy. There is less initial sway on the variable zoom and ACOG but it is still pretty hard to hardscope in with the variable without taking a breath (you basically have to fight the sway) and the ACOG itself has a ton of sway you have to counter. A very very skilled player (read: not me) could definitely pull off flick shots without breathing or with the ACOG although I found the ACOG to be somewhat unreliable when doing this.

The main problem is that while it is possible to go against the grain and pull this stuff off, there isn't really room in the map architecture to really take advantage of sniper rifles. The only places I was able to pull consistent streaks was holding down long corridors which would be possible with any weapon really.

cliffs: the people doing this consistently are crazy good

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
They really need to fix the balancing of the teams in Merc Team Deathmatch. Too often one side will be comprised of really high ranks and prestige players. Then after they get destroyed the teams still don't get balanced :lol

Other than that and a few issues with the spawn system (no post MW Call of Duty game would be complete without bad spawns) I think this game is better than MW, MW2 and WAW. I have a special place in my heart for COD2 but damn this game is good. I look forward to playing every map that comes up. There are no maps that are real stinkers for me. The perks and killstreaks are well balanced.

Go Treyarch!

snap0212

TheApatheticOne said:
lazytonberry said:
Man, yesterday I encountered the first quick-scopers I've seen in this game. One game had two guys doing it, and later on had another game with one guy.

These guys were running around with the L96A1 or whatever and pulling up the scope for like half a second and getting ridiculous one-hit kills with them. I thought the sway was supposed to fix this?

Don't exactly know what these guys were doing or how, but it was really starting to piss me off playing against them. I hope it doesn't spread.
Yeah, I just caught wind of this for the first time yesterday too. Fought 2 guys on Cracked, and they were definitely quickscoping. This is my favorite CoD yet so far, but nothing will sour me faster than if this becomes as big as it was in MW and MW2.
Every first person shooter has had quickscoping, that's just how it is. It even is in Counter Strike, Halo, Battlefield Bad Company 2 and probably almost every other fps available. It's part of the game. In Black Ops there's no reason for anyone to be pissed, for being killed by someone with a sniper rifle...

Sniping (and quickscoping) is so gimped in Call of Duty: Black Ops that if you get killed by someone it's either luck or he's just really good at what he's doing. There's nothing cheap about quickscoping, there never was anything cheap about it and there never will be anything cheap about it. Quickscoping wasn't a problem in Modern Warfare 2; the sleight of hand pro-perk and the agressive aim assist were the things that caused the problem. Those two things combined with a sniper rifle were deadly. However, there was still some skill involved. People who think that every idiot can pick up a intervention and get a good killstreak going is just an idiot and doesn't know what he's talking about. Back to Black Ops... Pick up a sniper rifle and try a 360°no-scope or quickscope across nuketown (just an example). Trickshots are part of what makes quickscoping fun and (especially in Black Ops) they're not easy at all. If you get killed by someone doing a 360°quickscope you were either an idiot who didn't move at all and gave the other player the chance to try it a couple of times, or the other player was just really good.

Also: Everyone who quickscopes would get more kills, a higher killstreak and a better k/d if he were using a regular gun.

WickedLaharl said:
is it true that dashboard quitting bypasses host migration? because that's really fucked up if true.

Yep!

In a host migration, the host must manually pass off hosting duties to the next host. This will happen either if the current host is doing a crappy job, or if the host quits by pressing start. If the host disconnects or dashboards, he leaves without passing off the key host information to the next person; speficially, the connection information for all of the other players in the game.

The alternative is for all players in the game to be constantly synced to the host, which would allow anyone else to take over if the host quit, but it's an expensive operation that adds a lot of network overhead. First-person shooters are already pulling a lot of tricks to make the game look a lot smoother than it actually is from a network perspective; syncing the host to all members just isn't feasable.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
WickedLaharl said:
man that sucks. at least now i know why so many games end the way they do.

Is it really a big problem for you? I've played a lot (I think around 300 matches) and I've only experienced this like <10 times.

Raiden

Banned
+why do people dashboard quit? Ow yeah, because if they have a shitty K/D ratio in that round/match, it does not count.

I have been saying this since Call of Duty 4, why do you guys continue to eat shit sandwiches with smiles on your face?

I am mystified that you tough it out. I quit lobbies liberally if the connection is not to my liking.

I paid 60 dollars for the game and I pay for Live. I quit a game yesterday that I was 14-6. The connection was poor, missing hit markers and my knife literally went through a player , like it phased through him...enough. I wasn't raging I was laughing it was ridiculous.

Anerythristic said:
I have been saying this since Call of Duty 4, why do you guys continue to eat shit sandwiches with smiles on your face?

I am mystified that you tough it out. I quit lobbies liberally if the connection is not to my liking.

We were playing against the most terrible people we have ever played against in a TDM lobby last week, I went 52-2 in our last match before we called it a night. The thing was they were going 2-23 and 1-19 but played like 8 matches with us. We could hear them talking to each other so they knew each other but weren't in a party and would be satisfied when they would be on our team every other game.

I guess some people know they are awful and will be terrible in any lobby they join so why back out?

snap0212 said:
Every first person shooter has had quickscoping, that's just how it is. It even is in Counter Strike, Halo, Battlefield Bad Company 2 and probably almost every other fps available. It's part of the game. In Black Ops there's no reason for anyone to be pissed, for being killed by someone with a sniper rifle...

Sniping (and quickscoping) is so gimped in Call of Duty: Black Ops that if you get killed by someone it's either luck or he's just really good at what he's doing. There's nothing cheap about quickscoping, there never was anything cheap about it and there never will be anything cheap about it. Quickscoping wasn't a problem in Modern Warfare 2; the sleight of hand pro-perk and the agressive aim assist were the things that caused the problem. Those two things combined with a sniper rifle were deadly. However, there was still some skill involved. People who think that every idiot can pick up a intervention and get a good killstreak going is just an idiot and doesn't know what he's talking about. Back to Black Ops... Pick up a sniper rifle and try a 360°no-scope or quickscope across nuketown (just an example). Trickshots are part of what makes quickscoping fun and (especially in Black Ops) they're not easy at all. If you get killed by someone doing a 360°quickscope you were either an idiot who didn't move at all and gave the other player the chance to try it a couple of times, or the other player was just really good.

Also: Everyone who quickscopes would get more kills, a higher killstreak and a better k/d if he were using a regular gun.

You just won't give up, will you! Clearly quickscoping was important to your playstle or something, and without it youre boned :lol

Basically, your argument is rubbish. There's a hell of alot more issues with quickscoping than just getting killed by a skilled quickscoper. You're not taking into account the moron teammate going 2 - 22 whilst trying for a montage shot, just for a start.

The argument's been ridden into the dust, but the quickscoping nerf has been a GODSEND for gunplay balance. You are in the minority, and your argument is falling on deaf ears. Thank fucking christ too. :D

U2NUMB

New patch info posted yet? (From the 360 side of things)

http://www.callofduty.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=313362&sid=td8ivnoq895dt5ba9omt4uonq3

Issues Addressed:
* • Resolved several issues with parties getting disbanded unexpectedly.
* • Updated handling for UPnP-enabled routers to improve matchmaking conditions where users had strict or moderate NAT types. Also added in-game communications so that all players are aware of their NAT type in the Player Match party lobby.
* • Addressed issue that prevented the “Load MP by Default” option from saving when other specific option combinations were set.
* • Prevention of exploit that allowed players to keep custom classes and killstreaks after prestige.
* • Addressed an issue where Flak Jacket Pro would not always protect against ground fires left by Napalm Strikes.
* • Prevention of users losing their killstreak reward when switching classes at the start of a new round in round-based game modes.
* • Addressed an issue where the incorrect perks would appear when spectating another player under certain circumstances.
* • Added round start explosive delay to China Lake grenade launcher to give it the same round start limitations as other explosives.
* • Contracts will now reset when the player Prestiges.
* • Prevention of Valkyrie rocket exploding upon release under rare conditions.
* • Prevention of Gunship failing to give player full control under rare conditions.
* • Prevention of an issue where a player will get teleported outside the map boundaries under very specific circumstances.
* • Additional security measures to enhance detection and banning capabilities.

Gameplay Tuning:
* • Limit the ability to re-roll supply drops using Hardline Pro to Care Packages only, no other killstreak drops.
* • Added a negative influencer to all spawn points to decrease the chances of spawning near an enemy. This will further improve spawning protection on top of previous updates.
* • Additional sound mix tuning for Ninja Pro users – increased ranges and volume of enemy footsteps, and removed player footstep sounds on concrete material types.
* • Increased headshot multipliers for sniper rifles. Sniper rifles with suppressors equipped will now always be ensured one-shot kill headshots.
* • Subtle increase in sniper rifle accuracy when scoping in.
* • Added a render delay to the red diamond player indicators that appear when controlling the Gunship, Valkyrie Rocket and Chopper Gunner. When a player first spawns, this will not appear for a period of time.
* • Additional minor reductions in knife lunge.

U2NUMB said:
New patch info posted yet? (From the 360 side of things)

http://www.callofduty.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=313362&sid=td8ivnoq895dt5ba9omt4uonq3

Issues Addressed:
* • Resolved several issues with parties getting disbanded unexpectedly.
* • Updated handling for UPnP-enabled routers to improve matchmaking conditions where users had strict or moderate NAT types. Also added in-game communications so that all players are aware of their NAT type in the Player Match party lobby.
* • Addressed issue that prevented the “Load MP by Default” option from saving when other specific option combinations were set.
* • Prevention of exploit that allowed players to keep custom classes and killstreaks after prestige.
* • Addressed an issue where Flak Jacket Pro would not always protect against ground fires left by Napalm Strikes.
* • Prevention of users losing their killstreak reward when switching classes at the start of a new round in round-based game modes.
* • Addressed an issue where the incorrect perks would appear when spectating another player under certain circumstances.
* • Added round start explosive delay to China Lake grenade launcher to give it the same round start limitations as other explosives.
* • Contracts will now reset when the player Prestiges.
* • Prevention of Valkyrie rocket exploding upon release under rare conditions.
* • Prevention of Gunship failing to give player full control under rare conditions.
* • Prevention of an issue where a player will get teleported outside the map boundaries under very specific circumstances.
* • Additional security measures to enhance detection and banning capabilities.

Gameplay Tuning:
* • Limit the ability to re-roll supply drops using Hardline Pro to Care Packages only, no other killstreak drops.
* • Added a negative influencer to all spawn points to decrease the chances of spawning near an enemy. This will further improve spawning protection on top of previous updates.
* • Additional sound mix tuning for Ninja Pro users – increased ranges and volume of enemy footsteps, and removed player footstep sounds on concrete material types.
* • Increased headshot multipliers for sniper rifles. Sniper rifles with suppressors equipped will now always be ensured one-shot kill headshots.
* • Subtle increase in sniper rifle accuracy when scoping in.
* • Added a render delay to the red diamond player indicators that appear when controlling the Gunship, Valkyrie Rocket and Chopper Gunner. When a player first spawns, this will not appear for a period of time.
* • Additional minor reductions in knife lunge.

Damnit. :lol I figured they would do this to prevent getting spawn killed by the choppers. Guess I wont be breaking my 50-2 TDM record anytime soon. I wonder how long the delay is.

snap0212

I think I'm officially done with this game. I'll wait until the first Map Pack hits and then return it to the store I bought it at. They'll have to give me a full refund, because I'm almost 100% sure that Treyarch will handle their DLC like they did in their previous games. I somehow hope they'll do the same thing they did in World at War and other games just because that guarantees me a full refund.

Here's why I won't bother anymore:

They don't care about at least 1,000,000 of their consumers
I think it's pretty safe to say that the PlayStation 3 Version of this game solt at least 1,000,000 units, but Treyarch showed every single one of them that they're worth less than those who bought it for the Xbox 360, even though we've all paid the same amount of money. Their support for the PlayStation 3 version is just crappy and there's no way to deny that. First of all they released a partly broken game and still wanted the full $60 for it.

While Infinity Ward did their best to offer a great experience on both the Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3 it's impossible to deny that Treyarch's focus for Black Ops was the Xbox 360. While that isn't really a problem (the 360 being the lead platform) it's a problem if this results in a crappy PlayStation 3 port of the game. They've done a good job with Call of Duty: World at War and have shown that they're capable of porting games to the platform. Now we see enormouns frame-rate drops, low-resolution textures that are still loading when they shouldn't anymore, a pixel-mess that they call "shadows", a buggy netcode that causes constant disconnections, and a huge amount of lag, and see how this game is freezing our consoles (happend to me three times today).

Were they lazy? I don't know. Did they do a bad job at this game? Definitely. Releasing a buggy product is one thing, but the complete lack of features is another thing. Josh Olin (Treyarch's Community Manager) didn't even know that the PlayStatioin 3 supports multiple accounts while playing split-screen multiplayer. While this function is available on the Xbox 360 it's not on the PS3. You can play with a friend online using this feature, but you get a gimped down version of what could have been a great thing. A couple of days after release Josh Olin also posted on Twitter about a new feature that allows you to skip all the Intro-Movies (to avoid the loading times) to directly get booted into the multiplayer menu of the game. There is absolutely no reason why this feature isn't available on the PlayStation 3 and it just (again) shows us how little they care about their PS3 user base. The next feature is the YouTube Uploading. Works great if you're on a Xbox 360 (and manage to get it uploaded), while it is buggy as hell if you're on a PS3. The sound is laggy, the framerate is just horrible and it's just another great idea that was executed horribly. At least on the PS3.

I spent $60 on this game, because I (just like everyone else) expected that these guys know what they're doing. The night before launch we even had a discussion here about how the "PS3 version will be just like the 360 version" and everyone way sure that this was going to be the case. We thought so, because it was the case with Call of Duty 4, Call of Duty: World at War and Modern Warfare 2. Neither of these games run significantly worse on the PS3 than they do on the Xbox 360.

We all know that it's not easy to develop for the PS3, but if you're releasing a game that you expect to be "the biggest big big launch of big big things that are huge... of all time" then we shouldn't even be talking about the additional ressources it takes to not release a crappy PS3 port. There's just no excuse to release a product that is this broken.

The thing also is that Treyarch doesn't tell anyone anything. I've looked through their official Forums and have yet to find a Thread where they talk about how they know about all the problems people are having and that they're working on a solution to fix all these problems. Why would anyone care about slight changes of the Chopper Gunner when the main game is broken, always runs at a crappy frame rate and may even cause your system to just freeze? Their main goal now should be to fix the broken product they've released.

While I'm mad at Treyarch for releasing this product I also blame pretty much every single video game website out there that only played the Xbox 360 version and just used that review as their review of the Ps3 version. IGN, GameSpot, GiantBomb... They all have one single review and don't mention the obvious problems the PS3 version has. Problems that you can see after playing the game for an hour. It's not like there's any way to no see them.

Anyways; I'm done with my little rant and I'm done with this game. The good thing is: Treyarch will most likely not change the thing about the DLC. This means that (even if you've not bought the Maps) you'll get thrown into lobbies with people who have bought them. You'll now get kicked out of the lobby and it'll show you a message about how you can now buy the Maps on the Store. I'll demand a full refund the first time this happens to me in Black Ops... and I'll get it.

snap0212

divisionbyzorro said:
I'm not going to argue with most of your post, but you do realize that YouTube uploading only works about 25% of the time even on 360, right?
Ah, I'll correct that one. I was more talking about the quality of the videos. :)

GeekyDad

snap0212 said:
...Treyarch doesn't tell anyone anything....

Yeah, this is perhaps the most frustrating issue, really. If they at least kept a channel somewhat open to their community about what's going on, I think most folks would be willing to sit tight. But there's a very meager, one-sided conversation going on over there, one that consists of a single thread containing various updates in the works. A lot of those updates have nothing to do with the problems most folks are complaining about. They're talking about balance issues when the game isn't even completely playable yet. Someone over there needs to take control of the helm and bring that ship back round, 'cause it's listing like a mother fucker!

cameltoe

Now we see enormouns frame-rate drops, low-resolution textures that are still loading when they shouldn't anymore, a pixel-mess that they call "shadows", a buggy netcode that causes constant disconnections, and a huge amount of lag, and see how this game is freezing our consoles (happend to me three times today).

All this (maybe not the constant disconnects but it does happen) has/does occur on my 360 as well. (the game has locked up my console at least 4-5 times since launch)

cameltoe said:
All this (maybe not the constant disconnects but it does happen) has/does occur on my 360 as well. (the game has locked up my console at least 4-5 times since launch)

FWIW, I'm at 33 hours on 360 (not counting time spent with zombies and campaign), and I haven't had a single lockup. I haven't heard of many lockup issues on 360 before either - you don't have a launch console, do you? :lol

cameltoe said:

I'm at about 50ish hours of multiplayer (no single player or zombies) and the game has never frozen on me. I'm on a 4gb arcade 360.

Stantron

Someone on my friends list has an animating background on his player card. Pretty cool. Not sure how it unlocks though.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Stantron said:
Someone on my friends list has an animating background on his player card. Pretty cool. Not sure how it unlocks though.

What the hell? I've purchased every icon/background up to Prestige 8 and I've yet to see anything animated.

KPunk

so i beat the game on hardened today, and i didn't get an achievement for doing so..pretty annoyed anyone have this issue, or know of a fix?

Nizz

snap0212 said:
People quickscoping in Bad Company 2 impresses me. It's not as easy to do. This guy makes it look simple: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCXcA7pdlu4

I share your pain about the PS3 version having problems. So frustrating the other night.
*Friend* invite sent, "hey join up"
*me* ok *tries to join, party no longer active* What the hell?
*friend* I'll shoot you another invite...
*me* see invite, click to join...*party no longer active.

Two friends on my list sent me at least 5-6 different invites, could not join them. I send them messages back "sorry fellas, the game won't let me join you". :( Another friend on my list invites me to play some Zombie mode. "Ok" I say. He sends me an invite, same thing. I send him an invite, he says he can't join.

Frustrating...

tsigo said:
Hasn't it always been? Pretty sure I remember them saying they were banning people for it shortly after it was out.
Nope. People were still trying to figure it out. Now... well, they've figured it out. Players are hosting prestige lobbies again.

Koroshi said:
Nope. People were still trying to figure it out. Now... well, they've figured it out. Players are hosting prestige lobbies again.

oh you're 15th prestige? okay if you are trying to get to 15th prestige no matter what you probably suck and will still suck no matter what icon is next to your name.

cuevas said:
oh you're 15th prestige? okay if you are trying to get to 15th prestige no matter what you probably suck and will still suck no matter what icon is next to your name.
Are you talking to me or speaking in general? I haven't prestiged in BO and never will. I don't even own the game anymore.

Nizz

Koroshi said:
Are you talking to me or speaking in general? I haven't prestiged in BO and never will. I don't even own the game anymore.
I kinda wish I hadn't prestiged. I already miss the Galil, Commando and AK-47. Plus I miss the red camos on my guns.

Top Bottom