• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

venom2124

Freezie KO said:
When this game is good, it's so good. But when it's bad, I want to rip out my innards. On the really big WMD map, I just had seven spawns in a row where I was within meters of an ongoing battle or clustered enemy position. I died in about second each spawn.

It's WMD! Just throw me into a corner somewhere the full distance across the map! I don't mind running for a minute to find someone. Especially when I'm using either the sniper rifle or the M16 on that level. Plus I was host-lagging, so I just screwed everyone and quit out. I wasn't about to wait for horrible spawn number eight.
You hit the nail on the head. If the horrendous spawning and lag issues are ever worked out, this will be my favorite cod multiplayer easily. Lag for me on ps3 was so bad last night, I fell through the ground everytime I died in a match on grid. I would get shot by an enemy I couldn't see, then I would drop under the map like a rock. Very strange.

On a happier note, I finally got a 100 win streak. It ended after 101 due to that damned grid match. After about 700 matches, I have close to a 9-1 win/loss ratio. If treyarch would fix the problems I'm shooting for a 10.

Maffis

wow the FAL is a beast. already been called a hacker for using it for only 4 maps (aimbot, not wh).

but it feels like sometimes the bullets doesn't hit where I aim. I have some problem shooting people that run with it, it seems like I must shoot behind them to hit.

aku:jiki said:
Why are you on some kind of quest to silence those of us who are having major issues with Black Ops? I mean, we spent $60 just like you did, are we not entitled to try to have the flaws in the product we purchased fixed?

Posters like myself, Maximilian and that kid with numbers in his name and a grey avatar aren't fucking around, making idiot posts just to hate on the game. We have no interest in doing that at all. We're expressing our concerns and offering suggestions for solutions, so again, why are you trying to shut us up, man? We just want to be able to enjoy the game more!

I'm not, my experience has just not been as bad as what you guys claim yours to be. It's not like I need BLOPS to be a great game, I have been the biggest critic of Treyarch and didn't even purchase WaW after renting it. I thought what they did in that game was garbage. After spending a month of my time playing CoD4 I just want a game that gave me that same feeling of needing to play it and blops is the only game to do that since cod4. I hated MW2 and treyarch did a good job learning from IW's mistakes in that game. I'll take host lag any day over all the stuff that ruined MW2.

tsigo

Maffis said:
wow the FAL is a beast. already been called a hacker for using it for only 4 maps (aimbot, not wh).

but it feels like sometimes the bullets doesn't hit where I aim. I have some problem shooting people that run with it, it seems like I must shoot behind them to hit.

Good luck trying to kill an RC-XD. I don't think I've ever even taken one out with an M16/G11, can't imagine doing it with the FAL or M14.

Maffis

tsigo said:
Good luck trying to kill an RC-XD. I don't think I've ever even taken one out with an M16/G11, can't imagine doing it with the FAL or M14.

You speak the truth. There's something weird with the hit detection with those weapons. I maintained 2.0kdr with the FAL, but I immediatly got a 4.67kdr when I went back to my aug.

I'm sticking with the aug for now.

WaW is still the most solidly built COD game, INCLUDING COD4.

Go back and play it. You encounter no lag, no bullshit framerate drops, knifing is fine, and the hit detection is spot on. Coupled with the best maps in the series (excluding Sub Pens and Corrosion), I'm amazed it's not respected more within the community.

Alot of people seem to have written it off because of the Treyarch factor, but that's what made it superior, personally. Treyarch are better mapmakers, and they work with the community in a way IW failed to match.

In regards to BO and the lack of PS3 support, I can't comment, because I'm gladly and thankfully a 360 player. But so far, Treyarch's community support has been top notch and I have nothing to complain about. In 80% of cases, I get angry with myself after suffering a bullshit death, while the rest I blame on the sometimes wonky knifing, corner turns, and hit detection. Being only four weeks since release, I'm still giving them benefit of the doubt.

Cuevas said:
I thought what they did in that game was garbage.

Out of interest, can you elaborate?

Hey, my YouTube render showed up four days later! It's perhaps the least impressive 8-streak with a SPAS ever. :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNdfUQhR_nE

I spent about 10 minutes meticulously clipping out the kills at normal speed and then fast-forwarding the boring bits, but when I ran into the stupid 10-segment limit I had to trash it all and just made a couple passes at doing the edits in real time. I'd gotten it beautifully seamless, and then alas it had to go to waste. :(

Theater mode is a prime example of how you don't know what you're missing until you get a taste of it. I love that we at least have something, but why the 30 second limit? Why only 10 segments? Why only 360p? Why can't we record commentary over it with our headsets? The possibilities are limitless!

Oh well. At least we don't have to pay to render to video. :lol

3ur4zn said:

I played Call of duty and Call of duty 2 since day one and since it was a WWII game that's what I compared it to. Mixing the WWII with what they did in modern warfare made it feel awful to me. And I don't give a fuck about zombies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
cuevas said:
And I don't give a fuck about zombies.
Oh this, one million times this. Treyarch is high on themselves or some shit because zombie mode is the lamest thing ever and they half-assed the shit out of it.

I played some the other night with 3 buddies and all I could think the whole time was: "this would be so much more fun if it was campaign co-op or spec-ops."

Stallion Free said:
Oh this, one million times this. Treyarch is high on themselves or some shit because zombie mode is the lamest thing ever and they half-assed the shit out of it.

I played some the other night with 3 buddies and all I could think the whole time was: "this would be so much more fun if it was campaign co-op or spec-ops."

There is a huge contingent of people out there who love the shit out of zombies. The problem is that group of people doesn't appear to have much overlap with the people who loved Spec Ops.

venom2124

divisionbyzorro said:
There is a huge contingent of people out there who love the shit out of zombies. The problem is that group of people doesn't appear to have much overlap with the people who loved Spec Ops.
That's me and my friends. Love zombies but hated spec ops. Just played through them for the trophies. I did love the campaign coop in waw though.

aku:jiki

3ur4zn said:
(excluding Sub Pens and Corrosion)
What! Sub Pens rules! :D

I think we can all agree that fuck Seelow.

cuevas said:
Mixing the WWII with what they did in modern warfare made it feel awful to me.
You hate the combination of WWII and create a class and perks? wut

Stallion Free said:
So your are defending the half-assed piece of shit that is zombies? The maps don't even look finished in areas.
:lol Zombies is just a wink for the WaW fans, man, take it easy.

You hate the combination of WWII and create a class and perks? wut

Uh yeah, also regenerating health is dumb.

Stantron said:
Random idea: Once Activision allows their devs to create a new engine for the series, they should make it with an infrastructure to treat MP maps similar to how Rock Band does song DLC. Basically, allowing players to play new installments of the game on any of the older MP maps.
For example, let's say you have CoD9, which gets three map packs. Each of the three map packs would be automatically compatible with CoD10. They would probably charge you to download the maps from the CoD9 disc to be available for play with CoD10, but then wouldn't charge again when CoD11 came out (or maybe they would). Then you would have playlists for each version. For example, CoD11 would have a CoD9 and CoD10 maps playlist.
Reasons why they (Activision) would not want to do this: Too confusing for average CoD player. Fragments community. Less incentive to buy the newest map packs. Not profitable enough for the effort. Logistics issue to transfer gameplay mechanics from one CoD to the other.
Just an idea.

Old maps don't always work with new games.

Stantron

Random idea: Once Activision allows their devs to create a new engine for the series, they should make it with an infrastructure to treat MP maps similar to how Rock Band does song DLC. Basically, allowing players to play new installments of the game on any of the older MP maps.
For example, let's say you have CoD9, which gets three map packs. Each of the three map packs would be automatically compatible with CoD10. They would probably charge you to download the maps from the CoD9 disc to be available for play with CoD10, but then wouldn't charge again when CoD11 came out (or maybe they would). Then you would have playlists for each version. For example, CoD11 would have a CoD9 and CoD10 maps playlist.
Reasons why they (Activision) would not want to do this: Too confusing for average CoD player. Fragments community. Less incentive to buy the newest map packs. Not profitable enough for the effort. Logistics issue to transfer gameplay mechanics from one CoD to the other.
Just an idea.

What! Sub Pens rules! :D

I think we can all agree that fuck Seelow.

Haha Seelow is my favourite multiplayer map of all time. I fucking love that map. Oodles of atmosphere, creatively designed, fantastically balanced for both teams, and perfect for tanks. It's beautiful too. The level of detail in the design of that map is rather extraordinary if you get the time to explore it. The intricacy of Seelow is probably only matched by Outskirts.

I played Call of duty and Call of duty 2 since day one and since it was a WWII game that's what I compared it to. Mixing the WWII with what they did in modern warfare made it feel awful to me. And I don't give a fuck about zombies.

I assume your vague and non-specific reply is a reflection of the fact you never gave it a chance.

I've put about 25 days into WaW over the two years since release, and earnt around a 100,000 kills, so I don't expect you to share my passion for it, but a bit of specifics would be appreciated. I've always attempted to work out why the COD community largely dismisses WaW's brilliance, so any insight is welcome.

Stantron said:
Logistics issue to transfer gameplay mechanics from one CoD to the other.

This alone makes it something I wouldn't want. Case in point: Wasteland (a remake of Brecourt in CoD2) on MW2.

3ur4zn said:
I've put about 25 days into WaW over the two years since release, and earnt around a 100,000 kills, so I don't expect you to share my passion for it, but a bit of specifics would be appreciated. I've always attempted to work out why the COD community largely dismisses WaW's brilliance, so any insight is welcome.

I played W@W for about 3 days, but sold it in a fit of rage right about when BF1943 came out (and I played that until MW2 launched). I mostly raged at the MP40 and the asinine way that they handled the map packs (which I refused to buy purely on principle) which made it take forever to find games. But if you took both of those things out, I could totally agree with your description of "brilliant."

Lothars

divisionbyzorro said:

I don't mind Zombies, it's pretty fun but it has nothing on Spec Ops which I think is the better mode.

Lothars

3ur4zn said:

It's because WaW's an decent Cod game but definitely not as good as COD2 or COD4, heck I wouldn't put WaW above Black Ops or MW2 maybe on par or slightly below.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
3ur4zn said:
I've played around 10 hours of W@W multiplayer and it just never grabbed me. The map design was boring to me. And Black Ops is starting to feel the same way. I'm actually excited for the map packs because they are being designed by Raven Software and their map design in Jedi Knight II was god-tier.

3ur4zn said:
I assume your vague and non-specific reply is a reflection of the fact you never gave it a chance.

No I didn't play more than a couple dozen matches and that was enough for me to know it wasn't for me. Cod and cod2 balanced their weapons a lot better than WaW. I have always thought attachments, perks, and killstreaks are a bunch of bullshit. Radar shouldn't be in any game.

IW had it right by adding this noob shit to MW since the weapons are better suited for the faster paced gameplay. WaW would be like adding UAV and stuff to counter strike. Give me a fucking break, make a new game and balance the noob shit in that.

RSTEIN said:
Map design was my number one concern with BLOPS before it released. I am shocked at how good these maps are. I've played virtually every single FPS multiplayer for the last 15 years and these maps blow me away.

WaW's maps were designed almost as rings. There wasn't any flow. A lot of the time was spent searching for opponents. With BLOPS they've focused on chokepoints/control points, interesting situations brought about due to elevation differences (WMD, Summit, Jungle), tight maps with central control areas (Hanoi, Cracked, Firing Range, Grid), and a couple good medium/long range maps (Jungle, Array, Havana). Some of the maps are kind of directionless (e.g. Villa and Launch) but I still enjoy them. Every map has a few key areas that if you secure them you can control the match yet the game is balanced very well so there's no camping.

Cod4 had great maps, Blops has decent maps. And no camping? What game are you playing?

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Stallion Free said:
The map design was boring to me.

This. I thought WaW's maps were awful. Just awful. Convoluted, too big, plus the vehicles. Don't get me started with the vehicles.

Map design was my number one concern with BLOPS before it released. I am shocked at how good these maps are. I've played virtually every single FPS multiplayer for the last 15 years and these maps blow me away.

WaW's maps were designed almost as rings. There wasn't any flow. A lot of the time was spent searching for opponents. With BLOPS they've focused on chokepoints/control points, interesting situations brought about due to elevation differences (WMD, Summit, Jungle), tight maps with central control areas (Hanoi, Cracked, Firing Range, Grid), and a couple good medium/long range maps (Jungle, Array, Havana). Some of the maps are kind of directionless (e.g. Villa and Launch) but I still enjoy them. Every map has a few key areas that if you secure them you can control the match yet the game is balanced very well so there's no camping.

VALKYRAY

Banned
all treyarch games are garbage to me.
i had high expection for black ops, but it still bored the shit out me.
modern warfare series ftw.

Would it be possible to have gamertags section added to the opening post? I find 99% of the time I'm playing completely solo and although I know there's been issues with parties, it would certainly be nice to play some objective matches where it isn't just played completely like TDM.

I would guess that the system, the location of the player, their name(duh) and maybe a few gametypes played would make it nice and easy for people to hook up with others? Oh and K/D because we all know that's all that matters anyhow! :lol

PS3 - Canada - CerebusArdvark - Domination, Groundwar, Headquarters - 1.75

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Mr Sandman said:
And you're one of them.
Sorry, but I just can't understand how anyone can be happy with the Zombie mode we got in Black Ops. W@W after all the DLC felt much more complete/polished (it was free on PC).

Chittagong

Gold Member
Is it just me or is this by far the most hardcore CoD online crowd? In every match there are few players under 40, and never anyone under 20. In MW2 my spread was just over 1, here it is a pathetic 0.59, along with 26w/44l. Super tough.

Nome

3ur4zn said:
WaW is still the most solidly built COD game, INCLUDING COD4.

Go back and play it. You encounter no lag, no bullshit framerate drops, knifing is fine, and the hit detection is spot on. Coupled with the best maps in the series (excluding Sub Pens and Corrosion), I'm amazed it's not respected more within the community.

Alot of people seem to have written it off because of the Treyarch factor, but that's what made it superior, personally. Treyarch are better mapmakers, and they work with the community in a way IW failed to match.

In regards to BO and the lack of PS3 support, I can't comment, because I'm gladly and thankfully a 360 player. But so far, Treyarch's community support has been top notch and I have nothing to complain about. In 80% of cases, I get angry with myself after suffering a bullshit death, while the rest I blame on the sometimes wonky knifing, corner turns, and hit detection. Being only four weeks since release, I'm still giving them benefit of the doubt.

Definitely agreed here. I work for a game company as well, and we were just marveling at how intentional all of the little details are.

tsigo

Chittagong said:
Is it just me or is this by far the most hardcore CoD online crowd? In every match there are few players under 40, and never anyone under 20. In MW2 my spread was just over 1, here it is a pathetic 0.59, along with 26w/44l. Super tough.

The levels aren't surprising since everyone that wanted it and was able to buy it for themselves got it within the first two weeks it was out and have already begun leveling. I suspect we'll see another surge of low-level people immediately after Christmas.

I really doubt the people currently playing this CoD are any more or less "hardcore" than any previous game in the series.

tsigo said:
The levels aren't surprising since everyone that wanted it and was able to buy it for themselves got it within the first two weeks it was out and have already begun leveling. I suspect we'll see another surge of low-level people immediately after Christmas.

I really doubt the people currently playing this CoD are any more or less "hardcore" than any previous game in the series.

Well a large portion of the community has been playing since cod4 and the skill set carries over to Blops.

I've found that the maps are, generally, really good. Even initial complaints about lack of sniping seems unfounded. I've had success with sniping on Launch, Radiation, Cracked (!), WMD, Jungle, Array, and maybe others I'm forgetting. A lot of the maps seem to support a variety of playstyles. The only one I am sick of is Noobtown, for the obvious reasons of it coming up so often.

Also, I nominate Hardened Pro for most underrated perk. Wow. I'm using it with an M16, and it's doing wonders. For long range battles, it's great to shoot through material and that can generally win you the firefight. I know the increase is only something like 20% damage, but it "feels" like an 80% increase. I'm shooting through boulders on Array.

Also, the reduction of damage view kick is a huge help. I'm winning close range battles with the M16 because in a hipfire battle I'm able to better manage my burst fire when my aim stays true. Also, again in mid-to-long range, it helps to keep your target perfectly lined up. I encourage Black-Ops-Gaf to give Hardened a try.

RSTEIN said:
This. I thought WaW's maps were awful. Just awful. Convoluted, too big, plus the vehicles. Don't get me started with the vehicles.

I respectfully disagree. :lol

I can almost understand the tank map hatred (majority of players couldn't use them to their advantage, and thus hated them), but Roundhouse, Seelow, Outskirts and Downfall were all top notch. Irrespective of the big maps, how anyone could play down the fantastic Castle, Asylum, Makin, Airfield or Hangar is beyond me. Clearly though, I'm in the minority.

Something with WaW clicked with me, and I managed to maintain a 3kdr. I felt more confident in that game, but Im a much nervier, slower placed BO player. My 1.7kd speaks for itself. :lol

luoapp

Freezie KO said:
I've found that the maps are, generally, really good. Even initial complaints about lack of sniping seems unfounded. I've had success with sniping on Launch, Radiation, Cracked (!), WMD, Jungle, Array, and maybe others I'm forgetting. A lot of the maps seem to support a variety of playstyles. The only one I am sick of is Noobtown, for the obvious reasons of it coming up so often.

Also, I nominate Hardened Pro for most underrated perk. Wow. I'm using it with an M16, and it's doing wonders. For long range battles, it's great to shoot through material and that can generally win you the firefight. I know the increase is only something like 20% damage, but it "feels" like an 80% increase. I'm shooting through boulders on Array.

Also, the reduction of damage view kick is a huge help. I'm winning close range battles with the M16 because in a hipfire battle I'm able to better manage my burst fire when my aim stays true. Also, again in mid-to-long range, it helps to keep your target perfectly lined up. I encourage Black-Ops-Gaf to give Hardened a try.

Sniping is fun:lol I am using M16 with ACOG + suppressor with a motion sensor, noobie sniper equip, I know, but whatever. I even used it in Nuketown, and got two Cobras nonetheless. Since the spawn is so random, you just stand at one corner of the backyard and shoot at the people spawning at the opposite corner.

Cardigan

divisionbyzorro said:
I ain't afraid of no RC-XD! :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDRor2Dg3eM

Sadly, I lost that FFA game (they weren't falling for the usual SPAS + Ghost shenanigans), but successfully shaking that RC-XD was the highlight of my night.
Haha, that's a pretty funny clip. I had a similar experience on Grid which involved me spastically running around a tree until the car blew up.

Here's the first video I've made. Just a fun little kill while playing One in the Chamber. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4Bz-6TS7jc

luoapp said:
Sniping is fun:lol I am using M16 with ACOG + suppressor with a motion sensor, noobie sniper equip, I know, but whatever. I even used it in Nuketown, and got two Cobras nonetheless. Since the spawn is so random, you just stand at one corner of the backyard and shoot at the people spawning at the opposite corner.

Never tried sniping on Noobtown. When I want to snipe, I use the bolt action. Consistent one hit kills, and hitting people on the run isn't too hard in this game.

I forgot to mention Villa, the best sniping level. I was in the villa itself, and I was so proud of myself for getting six sniping kills in a row. Then everyone on the opposing team realized where I was, so they kept running into the villa, where I, of course, had a motion sensor. I got something like seven more kills mowing them down with an AUG I picked up. I'm not usually pulling those kinds of k/d ratios, but they just kept on coming like Lemmings.

luoapp said:

why are you gimping yourself by using an m16 ACOG on nuketown?

luoapp

cuevas said:
why are you gimping yourself by using an m16 ACOG on nuketown?
I used to run an ak74+marathon class. It feels good to change the pace. Besides, I am just too lazy to switch class between rounds.:lol No big deal, a 2 k/d ratio is all I want.

Strange. I'm trying to upload a clip but the rendering is acting different from the other times I made videos. Normally it just gives me a loading screen with an estimated time before it's finished, this time it just plays the clip. No loading screen, no spinning circle, just the normal menu.

Any idea what's going on or is this normal?

Wow! I just played some CoD4 for the first time since BO, and holy shit, it's literally nothing but quickscopers! It used to have quite a few of them, but now it's literally everybody!

Played about 5 matches, 4 of them had at least 5 guys on the other team running around in ghillies and doing 360's and shit. I can't even count the number of times I came around the corner, came upon 4 guys and thought I was dead for sure, but still managed to get them because they'd insist on 720'ing first or some shit. I went 26-4 in my first match just because basically nobody's fighting back!

It's both hilarious and awesome for your KD. Thanks QS kids! :lol

Najaf

I just won 60,000 credits in a double down 10k buy in match!

I never have enough credits to do that as I usually spend them. I have a habit of earning 10k and then trying my luck in the high stakes, followed by using my winnings on classes or backgrounds. On a whim, after placing second in sticks and stones, which happened to put me just over 20k, I stayed in the same room. Just for grins, I hit the double down button.

In all the wager matches I have played, both the 1k and 10k, I have never seen everyone agree to double it up. At the last second before the match started, the lone hold out jumped in. I took the lead after a tomahawk reset the first place guy with about 40 seconds left on Jungle. Then, after scoring another two kills, I got tagged with a crossbow with 11 seconds left. I chose to watch the replay so it did not force me to respawn. (after watching the full replay after the match, I calculated that this tactic burned off six seconds on the clock) So the clock ticked to zero, the final kill cam started, and I was just waiting for the inevitable disconnect from a rage quitter. That never came, and I am now enjoying that cool 60k in the bank. If only the game gave out interest. :D

Really wish CoD4 had a theatre mode or that I wasn't too lazy to set up this freebie Dazzle I got, the situations you get into right now are so hilarious! All the time with the 4 guys at once, all trying to 720 ladder bounce noscope. Double post but this shit is too funny! :lol

It gets less funny when you're alone on the flag and you have 4 teammates who are all 5 feet away, but they're way too busy climbing and jumping off the same ladder over and over...

Najaf said:
I just won 60,000 credits in a double down 10k buy in match!
I'm jealous, I've played some 50 wager matches and I've never gotten to try out doubling down! It's really dumb how there's nothing on screen that tells other players that you're trying to double down, and of course nobody ever responds to my mic requests. :(

Top Bottom