• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
tsigo said:
Max, have you captured a game where you're getting the host disadvantage? I know exactly what you're talking about and have seen it myself, but I feel like other people need to see it so it gets more exposure, and I lack the capture equipment.

Not yet, however, I need to make a point of it. It happens extremely on a few maps, Launch being a brutal one. As you know, the host disadvantage does not happen on theater mode replays...so I'd have to live capture the moments. I'll make a point to do so when I next have host.

i'm no expert on competitive FPS but what is the difference between camping and sniping. I keep hearing people say they wish Black Ops had better sniping but then in the next breath say campers suck. Is there some cheap way that camping gives you a competetive advantage? I don't like to snipe but sometimes if I find a small room with a window I'll stick a claymore at the entrance and just wait by the window to see if I can pick people off (or lure them to come after me and then wait by the door or something). Whoever said it doesn't really pay off is right though I'd imagine if I did that for the whole match I'd only get like 5 of 6 kills at best.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
My view of sniping and camping:

I have rarely come across camping in BLOPS. If anything, what's more annoying is the guys running with duel weapons/knife (like MW2). I pop 5 shots into their chest but they ain't stoppin for anything.

Camping for me is stationary behaviour in an obscure part of the map. You sit in some sort of corner and wait for that 1 guy to come across your path. Hanoi and Havana are perfect for these annoying, rage inducing bastards. Especially when you have 7 kills and need one more for a chopper gunner. You swear they're waiting all game in these spots just to ruin your killstreaks :lol

This is different than sniping. Sniping involves getting to a strategic point, shooting, and then perhaps relocating to a different point. A sniper moves to a spot because it gives him a good field of view or vantage point. A camper sits in a random room to be annoying.

As I said above, campers are annoying. But they are great in the long run. They're long run losers. There's no way these guys contribute to the victories of the other team or manage to kill you more than you kill them. Like the lucky fish who draws out on you in poker without proper odds, in the long run these people are very good for your k/d and w/l ratios!

Dax01 said:
Good video. Any word on when Treyarch will address any of these issues before Christmas?

Do you lurk and only post in this thread to complement Max? :lol

And on topic - there's a patch coming soon (it's in cert now), but we won't know if it makes any difference until it hits.

I figured I would extend an invitation to you guys to join my regular Thursday night gaming session. Being a grown, married dude it becomes important to set up a regular session for playing with my buddies, and that's fallen on Thursday nights, 8-10pm (-ish) Eastern time.

If you're already on my friends list; great, if not, my 360 gamertag is DivisionByZorro. Just know that if we're full up I'll kick any one of you guys from my party for one of my "real life" friends any time if they show up. Nothing personal; that's just how it is. :lol

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
divisionbyzorro said:
I figured I would extend an invitation to you guys to join my regular Thursday night gaming session. Being a grown, married dude it becomes important to set up a regular session for playing with my buddies, and that's fallen on Thursday nights, 8-10pm (-ish) Eastern time.

If you're already on my friends list; great, if not, my 360 gamertag is DivisionByZorro. Just know that if we're full up I'll kick any one of you guys from my party for one of my "real life" friends any time if they show up. Nothing personal; that's just how it is. :lol

I'll join in. I'll add you to my list right now.

Stantron

There's a time and place for everything. If people want to "camp", that doesn't bother me. Use the style that helps you be the most successful. Play to win. If the enemy has the blackbird or dogs out, playing more defensively might be a good idea. Also, don't get mad at the camper because you think he denied you that precious kill streak. No, it's you're own fault for not being cautious enough, the camper is just the scapegoat.

BTW, there should be some sort of EXP bonus for finishing TDM on a losing team who all go negative KD spread, yet you still having the highest kills and best K/D of either team.

Stantron said:
There's a time and place for everything. If people want to "camp", that doesn't bother me. Use the style that helps you be the most successful. Play to win. If the enemy has the blackbird or dogs out, playing more defensively might be a good idea. Also, don't get mad at the camper because you think he denied you that precious kill streak. No, it's you're own fault for not being cautious enough, the camper is just the scapegoat.

You guys are still playing the play more cautiously card? Sitting in a bush with ghost pro and being killed after 1 kill there is not playing to win, campers don't play to win I don't get why anyone would ever think that is a winning playstyle.

divisionbyzorro said:

I might be up for it, gamertag is my GAF name.

Stantron

Meh. Whatever. The best way to win is a combination of play styles and strategy for the given situation. Sometimes that means not running and gunning. Bottom line is "camping' doesn't bother me.
Sure you might have a couple of randoms on your team not contributing much because they spent most of the match waiting. But if they suck, I'd much rather have them "robbing" the enemy of killstreaks than to have them trying to be Rambo, constantly feeding the enemy kills.

VALKYRAY

Banned
ChefRamsay said:
So I tried to upload my first Black Ops clip to Youtube, and here's the product:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhJ0woJKSVk

Horrible framerate, jumpy and poor resolution :( What did I
(Treyarch)
do wrong?!?

Hopefully you can still make out the sweet headshot. That little bump behind the jeep hood was the baddie's head :D
if you render after a system reboot, your video will be smoother, but there will still be sound lag.
it will be like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44Qse59miNc

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
divisionbyzorro said:

I might join, however my friends list is near capacity. Also depending on where everyone lives, we might get some total shit games. I primarily play BO with west coast folks only to avoid nerd rage inducing frustration.

VaLiancY

divisionbyzorro said:

Use to that.

I just sent an invite. I need a Pastrami sandwich before any gaming though

kuYuri

divisionbyzorro said:

You can add me if you want.

GT: Strider2K99

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
LeMaximilian said:
I might join, however my friends list is near capacity. Also depending on where everyone lives, we might get some total shit games. I primarily play BO with west coast folks only to avoid nerd rage inducing frustration.

70-0 game, full friends list, 3.0 kdr.

WELL LA DE FUCKING LA AREN'T WE LIVING LIFE

Biff

LeMaximilian said:
Not yet, however, I need to make a point of it. It happens extremely on a few maps, Launch being a brutal one. As you know, the host disadvantage does not happen on theater mode replays...so I'd have to live capture the moments. I'll make a point to do so when I next have host.
I have personally experienced this host disadvantage as well (on PS3).

I thought I was going insane. Your commentary is only other time I've heard of it.

Netcode like this is so disgraceful. This is 2010. The PS3 and 360 have had HUNDREDS of online games before Blops. Treyarch has no excuse for this garbage.

It's like they accidentally deleted their W@W netcode and didn't have a backup anywhere in the office.... "Oh shit! Ummm.... Just cut and paste COD3's code I guess..."

So I just finished a two-hour GAFathon (which is probably still going as I post this). A few things I learned:

• Max is every bit as good as you think he is. Cameltoe is also ridiculously good. With those two fighting over kills, I felt lucky to catch the scraps they generously tossed my way! :lol
  • In fact, while playing with guys this good is great for your win ratio, it's not particularly fantastic for your K/D if you can't keep up. My best games of the night were before either of those two showed up - a 15-0 TDM and a 27-3 TDM.
  • The lag issues seem to get more and more pronounced. At one point someone noted that they could see my bullets going right through another dude. :/ Both of the final games on Jungle just weren't happening for me.

Overall, good times. I hope to do it again soon!

tsigo

Yep, good games, guys. I'll do that any time. XBL name is saigoh, since I think Zorro's the only one from here that I added.

kuYuri

EDIT: ^ Ah, cool so you're saigoh.

Good games Zorro and Maximilian. Who else from GAF was in that lobby? Didn't recognize the other names.

I was struggling for the first 8 games or so, but I did good here and there. There's just no way I'll be good at this game compared to past CoD titles. :(

I think I finally understand what the Treyarch did. They decided to use the performance of the F2000 in MW2 as the foundation for all the assault rifles in black ops. Splendid idea.

Xux

divisionbyzorro said:
You missed one though. I know it's not as big of a deal, but one of my biggest "pet peeves" is the killcam airstrike sound bug. Does this happen to anyone else? If you get killed by an airstrike, the sound of the airstrike plays to completion even if you skip the killcam, and you end up hearing a phantom airstrike when you start your next life. It drives me crazy! :lol

Yeah, that stuff's annoying. Especially when it's still on the minimap for a splitsecond after you end the killcam and you start to run out of its path.

cuevas said:
You forgot to talk about how you get 3 hit markers on a guy with your chopper gunner and they dont die, WTF. I hate that. I experience lag but most of the time its fine, probably because I'm in the midwest and I never get the extremes.

Sounds like Flak Jacket. Looking at the math, it'd take 3 to 8 hits from a chopper gunner depending on how close to the center of the bullet's blast radius you hit them.

cameltoe

divisionbyzorro said:
So I just finished a two-hour GAFathon (which is probably still going as I post this). A few things I learned:

• Max is every bit as good as you think he is. Cameltoe is also ridiculously good. With those two fighting over kills, I felt lucky to catch the scraps they generously tossed my way! :lol
  • In fact, while playing with guys this good is great for your win ratio, it's not particularly fantastic for your K/D if you can't keep up. My best games of the night were before either of those two showed up - a 15-0 TDM and a 27-3 TDM.
  • The lag issues seem to get more and more pronounced. At one point someone noted that they could see my bullets going right through another dude. :/ Both of the final games on Jungle just weren't happening for me.

Overall, good times. I hope to do it again soon!

That was me, I was backing you up there (not very well I might add)

Lag was terrible last night. Hosting on radiation was brutal. Framerate drops into the teens, pauses, stuttering... ugh! The rest of the night I was praying not to get host LOL.

cameltoe said:
Lag was terrible last night. Hosting on radiation was brutal. Framerate drops into the teens, pauses, stuttering... ugh! The rest of the night I was praying not to get host LOL.

That was the game where we ran into those Hupit guys. One of only two losses of the night (the other being that awful spawn trap on Grid where you were the only one who managed to ever break out).

cameltoe

divisionbyzorro said:
That was the game where we ran into those Hupit guys. One of only two losses of the night (the other being that awful spawn trap on Grid where you were the only one who managed to ever break out).

It was Summit I believe...

They fucked us really good there...and they were not very good players.

Effect

Does anyone have any opinions on how this game compares to World at War since Treyarch developed both? Would you recommend one over the other to someone that isn't good with analog controls for FPS? Online connections? Match making according to skill? Etc?

Effect said:
Does anyone have any opinions on how this game compares to World at War since Treyarch developed both? Would you recommend one over the other to someone that isn't good with analog controls for FPS? Online connections? Match making according to skill? Etc?

General consensus seems to be that World at War plays smoother, but I personally think that Black Ops is the more interesting and balanced game of the two.

Effect said:

The controls are pretty similar (as CoD games go) and BO has some connection issues but BO is the better of the two. From practice mode to creating the character you want to more balance in the weapons, I'd go with BO.

I do miss vehicles in WaW though.

Effect said:

Online connection? Weird host issues, but game searching is great.
Matchmaking according to skill? Doesnt exist.

WaW is smoother, has better maps, possesses brilliant netcode and can't forget the tanks. Better balanced too.

While WaW is probably the better game, BO is probably the pick, purely for the community and the excellent advancement system.

3ur4zn said:
WaW is smoother, has better maps, possesses brilliant netcode and can't forget the tanks. Better balanced too.

While WaW is probably the better game, BO is probably the pick, purely for the community and the excellent advancement system.
What game are you playing?

cuevas said:
What game are you playing?

? Not sure where you are, but WaW, even now, never misses a beat online. It's built like a brick shithouse, and is the least exploited of any of the COD's.

In terms of the BO community, I was referring mainly to the amount of people online and how it always seems as if you're achieving something. Hollow, granted, but it's unmistakably fun.

3ur4zn said:
? Not sure where you are, but WaW, even now, never misses a beat online. It's built like a brick shithouse, and is the least exploited of any of the COD's.

In terms of the BO community, I was referring mainly to the amount of people online and how it always seems as if you're achieving something. Hollow, granted, but it's unmistakably fun.
Balanced better and better maps? More like terribly balanced and awful maps.

Top Bottom