• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

In my opinion, the only pro perks worth going out of your way to get are Ghost, Hardline, Hardened, Warlord, Marathon, Second Chance, and Hacker.

AnEternalEnigma said:
In my opinion, the only pro perks worth going out of your way to get are Ghost, Hardline, Hardened, Warlord, Marathon, Second Chance, and Hacker.
I don't really think Hacker Pro is worth the trouble; opportunities to use it don't really come up frequently enough.

TimeLike

buy teh haloz said:
I don't really think Hacker Pro is worth the trouble; opportunities to use it don't really come up frequently enough.

Scoring a multikill with a booby trapped care package makes it worth it. Feels real good, man.

eek5 said:
Play safer when it matters?

edit: and fwiw I think that snipers need a buff and hip fire needs a nerf

100% Agree, I have never been much of a sniper, but there are situations where it can come in handy, but I just can not snipe for shit this go around, and was reasonably proficient at it in all previous versions. I am glad they did away with quickscoping though.

Cardigan

buy teh haloz said:
Hacking care packages doesn't happen a lot, but claymores, jammers, and motion sensors are everywhere and they are super fun to hack.

I finally had a couple games today that I would consider exceptional. 63-3 on Jungle, followed by 67-2 on Array. I was running the 8-9-11 killstreak setup, and went through it twice both times. Sadly, all four of my Chopper Gunners were shot down prematurely, or they likely would have been better. :( Oh well. Those games singlehandedly brought my K/D from 1.89 to 1.94; maybe one of these days I'll actually break 2.0. :D

Scarecrow

I just discovered the magic of that rectangle assault rifle (G11?). Really wish I could put a silencer on it, but I"m finally wrecking some people.

Nizz

divisionbyzorro said:
I finally had a couple games today that I would consider exceptional. 63-3 on Jungle, followed by 67-2 on Array. I was running the 8-9-11 killstreak setup, and went through it twice both times. Sadly, all four of my Chopper Gunners were shot down prematurely, or they likely would have been better. :( Oh well. Those games singlehandedly brought my K/D from 1.89 to 1.94; maybe one of these days I'll actually break 2.0. :D
Damn, those are great numbers! As far as the Chopper Gunner, I've noticed the 2-3 times I've gotten one
thank you care packages ;)
even before the side door opens and I get on the Gatling gun I hear bullets hitting the chopper.

Surprisingly people seem to be taking choppers down pretty quickly in this game.

cuevas said:
You guys think hip firing needs a nerf? 95% of the time I will beat someone hip firing if I aim down the sights (wooh slight of hand)

I think hip-firing has been nerfed considerably. You cannot rely on hip-firing the same way you could in WaW, which probably goes some way to explaining my rubbish 1.66 kd. :lol I'm slowly learning to adapt.

Had a few brilliant games to end the night. I had been engaging in a to and fro with this guy called Eckmano, and we had been messaging each other between games, firing off deeply offensive insults filled with lots of creative swearing. Anyway, we're playing Villa, and my team is a bunch of useless kids. Somehow, with the scores at 5500 (them) and around 5000 to us, with a minute or so to go, I earnt a Blackbird, quickly followed by a Huey, and then proceeded to get about 8 kills with it. After failing to shoot it down several times, they all ragequit. :D I ended up going 36 - 3, and we won 6300 to 6000. Eckmano copped it so badly after that. :lol

Does anybody else feel like your screen is constantly a second behind what's actually happening in the game? I swear, these past few days I keep running into enemies who are somehow spotting-aiming-and hitting me the instant (and I do mean instant) they turn a corner on my screen. Then when I watch the kill cam it shows something completely different where the enemy is already around the corner and slowly lining up his shot. Another example is when I'm shooting some dude and end up losing the fight, then the kill cam says I somehow missed all my shots (or didn't fire at all). Even stranger, this happens even in games where I have full bars.

Damnit. Another match and it all happened again. I may as well be playing blindfolded at this point since what I'm seeing isn't actually happening.

.nimrod

How's the PC version regarding hit detection/lag?
And how many people are playing regurlarly in central europe?

I just build my new gaming pc, and i'm thinking about selling that awful ps3 copy and getting the pc version.
Are the performance problems on pc bound to specific hardware? If so, is my i7 870/2x4GB RAM/GTX 580 guaranteed to run Black Ops without issues?

Nizz

Tkawsome said:
Does anybody else feel like your screen is constantly a second behind what's actually happening in the game? I swear, these past few days I keep running into enemies who are somehow spotting-aiming-and hitting me the instant (and I do mean instant) they turn a corner on my screen. Then when I watch the kill cam it shows something completely different where the enemy is already around the corner and slowly lining up his shot. Another example is when I'm shooting some dude and end up losing the fight, then the kill cam says I somehow missed all my shots (or didn't fire at all). Even stranger, this happens even in games where I have full bars.

Damnit. Another match and it all happened again. I may as well be playing blindfolded at this point since what I'm seeing isn't actually happening.
This happens pretty often to me. I turn a corner, literally see an enemy and what feels like a half second later I'm dead. I'm like no way did I just turn this corner and the other guy had time to see me, go ADS and line up his shot and take me out all within what feels like half a second.

Sure enough, I watch the killcam and I was in view for about a good second and a half. According to his view I had turned the corner completely and didn't even seem to put up a fight whereas from my view I hadn't even turned the corner yet. Or times where I know I got off a couple of shots before getting "commando" knifed. Yet again, I watch the killcam and to his view I was just standing there like an idiot.

vhfive

just started playing and have a couple of questions.

what's is the best smg?
what's the best ar?
does scavenger replenish claymores?
do you get exp in wager matches?

eek5

Tkawsome said:
What's so good about the tactical mask? I haven't seen people use tactical grenades all that much.

The only real reason to pair it with scavenger and warlord pro would be to flash/stun/nova yourself. I think the prep time on everything but stun is too long to make this work though. You can still abuse tactical grenades while just throwing them from cover

tsigo

vhfive said:
just started playing and have a couple of questions.

what's is the best smg?
what's the best ar?
does scavenger replenish claymores?
do you get exp in wager matches?

AK74u
AK47, G11, Commando, AUG (no particular order)
No
No

TimeLike

eek5 said:
The only real reason to pair it with scavenger and warlord pro would be to flash/stun/nova yourself. I think the prep time on everything but stun is too long to make this work though. You can still abuse tactical grenades while just throwing them from cover
Why would you do this?

cameltoe

tha game has turn into a steaming pile of shit again....the lag is out of this world! I cannot get a 4 bar game to save my life! FUCK!

tsigo

cameltoe said:
tha game has turn into a steaming pile of shit again....the lag is out of this world! I cannot get a 4 bar game to save my life! FUCK!

Reading their community manager's excited tweets about winning multiplayer game of the year was painful.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Tkawsome said:

Consider yourself lucky that you didn't notice this earlier. It happens all the time and it's infuriating. At first I thought it was just because I was rusty, and that unlocking Sleight of Hand Pro would help, but no, not really.

Frostburn

I'll have to hop on soon and play some on Xbox 360 cause the PC version sure does run like shit for me. Hopefully they'll come up with that patch that makes the game perform the way it should have before they released it in stores for PC.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I am this close to abandoning this game for a while. The hit detection truly is horrendous, and it feels like it's getting worse and worse. Watching entire half a clip go right through the enemy is infuriating, and I'm losing my temper at an unacceptable rate.

When things go well, they go really well, and this game feels like the best thing I've ever played. But when you get into those shitty games, it's the worst thing I've ever played. I raged in MW2 because I would get killed out of nowhere in situations where I'd done nothing wrong. But I'm raging in Blops because I will die even though I did everything right.

I dunno. Maybe it's just the rage talking, but I don't know how much more I'll be playing of this if the next patch doesn't fix it.

Voltron64

divisionbyzorro said:
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I am this close to abandoning this game for a while. The hit detection truly is horrendous, and it feels like it's getting worse and worse. Watching entire half a clip go right through the enemy is infuriating, and I'm losing my temper at an unacceptable rate.

When things go well, they go really well, and this game feels like the best thing I've ever played. But when you get into those shitty games, it's the worst thing I've ever played. I raged in MW2 because I would get killed out of nowhere in situations where I'd done nothing wrong. But I'm raging in Blops because I will die even though I did everything right.

I dunno. Maybe it's just the rage talking, but I don't know how much more I'll be playing of this if the next patch doesn't fix it.
I just turned off the game right now for this very same reason. The game's net code is a joke and the team behind it should be working at McDonalds. Horrible.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
divisionbyzorro said:
I would be utterly shocked (but completely thrilled) if it did, considering I haven't heard anyone from Treyarch even acknowledge that there's anything wrong. I would've preferred some nearly game-breaking bugs out of the gate that could've been slightly avoided by playing with friends, since at least they would've been fixed by now. This shit is so much more frustrating to me.

Luckily, Reach plays like a fucking dream online, so I've been spending a lot more of my time with it these past couple of weeks.

I want to stress the part about how good the game is when it plays smoothly. The only balance issue I have is the RC-XD at only a 3-killstreak, and the ridiculous power of the G11 (the limited attachments do not balance that gun). And aside from one or two maps, the game is dream to play when it plays smoothly!

I get light lag, except when I'm host. And I'm picked for host A LOT. I can tell instantly before checking the screen. I get very frustrated and was considering a complete boycott of hosting games. I don't feel I have an altruistic obligation to get frustrated for ten minutes, so other people can play a match.

eek5

divisionbyzorro said:
I want to stress the part about how good the game is when it plays smoothly. The only balance issue I have is the RC-XD at only a 3-killstreak, and the ridiculous power of the G11 (the limited attachments do not balance that gun). And aside from one or two maps, the game is dream to play when it plays smoothly!
I don't mind it at 3 since it means less spy planes. I think they need to slow it down and remove boost though and also reduce the center damage from 400 to 200 so that flak jacket people can survive the blast when it is closer to them.

Tkawsome said:
What's so good about the tactical mask? I haven't seen people use tactical grenades all that much.
Well other than lots of people using stun grenades in my cases, it makes it so you can spam them yourself (using Warlord Pro's extra and Scavenger Pro's refills) and not have to be careful not to stun yourself. Then with Pro it points in the direction of the flashed enemies as well.

vatstep said:
Consider yourself lucky that you didn't notice this earlier. It happens all the time and it's infuriating. At first I thought it was just because I was rusty, and that unlocking Sleight of Hand Pro would help, but no, not really.

I noticed it earlier, it was just never this bad for me. Before this stuff would only occasionally hit me but these past few days it's been every game.

Mr Sandman said:
Well other than lots of people using stun grenades in my cases, it makes it so you can spam them yourself (using Warlord Pro's extra and Scavenger Pro's refills) and not have to be careful not to stun yourself. Then with Pro it points in the direction of the flashed enemies as well.

It shows stunned enemies direction or are they just dots like the UAV?

eek5

Tkawsome said:
It shows stunned enemies direction or are they just dots like the UAV?
It is just a positional indicator around your crosshairs, shown as a small yellow arc. Nothing shows up on your radar. I do not find it to be particularly helpful.

nib95

Banned
What the hell is wrong with matchmaking? Last 5 or so games I've put put in TDM with green low rankers whilst the rest of the entire team are high prestigers. I've still had ok k/d ratio's but it's a full uphill struggle...

Shitty matching system.

bathala

Banned
hated people camping but...

decided to do some Hardcore Free for all, and I camp in one area (moving around inside the house).
My first Attack Helicopter kill streak and 21/0 score. Pretty much won the game

eek5 said:
It is just a positional indicator around your crosshairs, shown as a small yellow arc. Nothing shows up on your radar. I do not find it to be particularly helpful.
While it's not super helpful, it has been nice knowing which way to look after I have stunned an enemy in a room. Before you'd just kinda storm in and sweep your view across the room.

Top Bottom