• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

Mr. B Natural said:
BO's maps will be forgotten as quickly as WaW's. Treyarch lacks the creativity to make a map that can be remembered...let alone fondly.
They try too hard. Crash, crossfire, bog, carentan, dawnville, harbor, and others in the iw arsenal will always have a place in my heart. No blops maps get me excited except jungle and that's only because it's easy to rack up kills.

Mr. B Natural said:
BO's maps will be forgotten as quickly as WaW's. Treyarch lacks the creativity to make a map that can be remembered...let alone fondly.

Evidently, that's not the case, at least in my estimation - Cliffside, Seelow and Outskirts are some of my favourite Call of Duty maps to date. Also, I think Summit & Array are awesome maps, easily the best two in Black Ops.

tsigo said:
But... but... the rocket takes off and makes your screen shake! Isn't that awesome?!

:lol

If it wasn't for the screen shaking, I would actually really like the rocket launch because of the impact it can have on the flag/bomb site and how it forces you to alter your strategies. I love the idea of having dynamic maps, and I kinda wish the game went a little further with it (more like what's in Radiation rather than what's in Launch).

Bootaaay said:
Evidently, that's not the case, at least in my estimation - Cliffside, Seelow and Outskirts are some of my favourite Call of Duty maps to date. Also, I think Summit & Array are awesome maps, easily the best two in Black Ops.

Castle and Hanger. Love those maps.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
cuevas said:
They try too hard. Crash, crossfire, bog, carentan, dawnville, harbor, and others in the iw arsenal will always have a place in my heart. No blops maps get me excited except jungle and that's only because it's easy to rack up kills.
If you haven't played these maps (such a fine selection, props Cuevas), then you really have no right discussing quality Call of Duty map making.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I don't LOVE any of the Blops maps, but I hate WMD, Havana, Villa and Crisis. The rest I can deal with. MW2 was the opposite, with only a handful that I disliked (Rundown, Estate, Derail) and a bunch that I loved. Terminal = best

vatstep said:
I don't LOVE any of the Blops maps, but I hate WMD, Havana, Villa and Crisis. The rest I can deal with. MW2 was the opposite, with only a handful that I disliked (Rundown, Estate, Derail) and a bunch that I loved. Terminal = best

I can't stand Havana and Villa is a close second. I can't say I like any of the maps and just tolerate the rest.

AnEternalEnigma said:
I like all the maps except Havana and Crisis. But I don't hate them. Nothing like the fury of Derail from MW2.
Add Estate and Wasteland to that list for me. I swear every time I'd join any game in progress (a lot) in MW2, it'd be one of those maps and naturally there would be all kinds of enemy air support up and my team would be losing by a massive margin. Great way to make me rage.

Mileena

Banned
Yea Havana is straight up awful for every mode, but not as bad as Estate, Derail or Wasteland. I also dislike Launch and WMD but they're tolerable at least. I'd love Terminal and Highrise in this game though, probably the only maps I miss from MW2.

Nizz

divisionbyzorro said:
Brofist!

I could possibly agree. But I would have to put Havana down there with some of the worst CoD maps to date...
I like Havana for the fact you hear Celia Cruz singing on the radio in that one room. :)

purple cobra said:
I like Havana for the fact you hear Celia Cruz singing on the radio in that one room. :)

Havana is awful for Domination. There are just too many little hallways and corridors, and the Bravo flag is nigh impossible to re-capture once one team is getting the advantageous spawn from capturing it.

yoopoo

Banned
Ground War is completely unplayable in the PS3 version. The frame rate drops to 20-25 fps. TMD and other modes are better but still well below 60 fps.

Wish I'd gotten the Xbox version.

Don't know what that dude in the 70-0 video is talking about. RC cars aren't OP, just wear flak jacket. I cool faced while he bitched about Second Chance though, I use it all the time.

Advance_Alarm said:
Don't know what that dude in the 70-0 video is talking about. RC cars aren't OP, just wear flak jacket. I cool faced while he bitched about Second Chance though, I use it all the time.
Flack Jacket isn't a particularly good defence against RC cars.

Advance_Alarm said:
It's not so much the damage but the terrible hit detection and it can be a two kill streak

VALKYRAY said:
my kd is 2.92 in bo. much better than i was mw2 which was 1.5
I thank treyarch for camping friendly map designs and the equipment, motion sensor that is.

I'm stuck at a 1.93 KD in TDM but honestly I stopped caring about KD for a while when I realized that game was utterly flawed. I had a TDM KD of 2.5 in MW2. Not bad but not great. I just don't have the reflexes I used to in order to keep up with the run and gun twitch gameplay.

I like the maps. Really like Villa, Jungle, Launch, and Radiation. Don't see what's so bad about Hanoi. The Nuketown designer should probably have lost his job. Nothing is as bad as Bog in CoD4.

Freezie KO said:
I like the maps. Really like Villa, Jungle, Launch, and Radiation. Don't see what's so bad about Hanoi. The Nuketown designer should probably have lost his job. Nothing is as bad as Bog in CoD4.
Bog is fucking awesome.

You like the worst maps in blops and hate good cod maps, bad tastes my friend

cuevas said:
Bog is fucking awesome.

You like the worst maps in blops and hate good cod maps, bad tastes my friend

:(

I hate Bog because it feels like whoever gets a chopper up first wins. Only one side of the map has any cover. Then again, I played Hardcore on CoD 4, so the chopper was like a one hit kill from anywhere but the best cover.

Nizz

divisionbyzorro said:
Havana is awful for Domination. There are just too many little hallways and corridors, and the Bravo flag is nigh impossible to re-capture once one team is getting the advantageous spawn from capturing it.
Yeah, the map really isn't too hot. Just like the latin touch with the tune. ;) I do like Summit though.

GeekyDad

Funny how the majority seem to dislike most of the urban maps. My favorites are Havana, Hanoi, and Cracked, and Villa is pretty fun too. Villa, especially, has a nice mix of close-quarters and long lines of sight.

GeekyDad said:
Funny how the majority seem to dislike most of the urban maps. My favorites are Havana, Hanoi, and Cracked, and Villa is pretty fun too. Villa, especially, has a nice mix of close-quarters and long lines of sight.

Havana is great if you start on the side with the bus. It's way too easy to spawn camp the other side, especially in that courtyard with the fountain.

Hanoi is great though, sadly it rarely shows up when I play.

luoapp

GeekyDad said:

The problem of Villa is, IMHO, the large middle part is basically wasted, rarely anyone goes inside.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
If the next CoD game has some variety of second chance.. I might just quit the franchise. So annoying.

kuYuri

Wow, what a weird ass glitch.

After completing the first level, Operation 40, on Veteran, I unlocked the Black Ops Master achievement, despite not even finishing the rest of the game and never playing it on Hardened. :lol I still need to get the level specific achievements though.

Has this happened to anyone else?

EDIT: What the hell, I'm missing all but two of the intels I've already picked up. Definitely a glitch in my game save or something.

Woo! I finally got a sentry gun kill with Ghost!

It's actually not too bad if you use the FFA trick; it only took me about a half hour (real time, not game time) of actually trying to pull it off.

divisionbyzorro said:
Woo! I finally got a sentry gun kill with Ghost!

It's actually not too bad if you use the FFA trick; it only took me about a half hour (real time, not game time) of actually trying to pull it off.

It's really easy if you have hacker on, maybe I got lucky but I've managed to get that within a couple of matches each prestige. The flags though, that's a different story.

I found the flags to be easy, actually. Just run with Lightweight, Warlord, Marathon with a AK74u with Red Dot & Rapid Fire. Do nothing but constantly run for the flag.

AnEternalEnigma said:
I found the flags to be easy, actually. Just run with Lightweight, Warlord, Marathon with a AK74u with Red Dot & Rapid Fire. Do nothing but constantly run for the flag.

Problem is nobody defend your flag since everyone is waiting at the enemies base. That means you're waiting in a line to get the flag and you most likely won't have a place to claim it even if you manage to grab it.

I use marathon on most of my classes and I haven't played a single game of CTF, when I decide to stay at a prestige I will try to get pro perks then.

Top Bottom