• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

So I got my 460 back from RMA today and the game runs like shit compared to my 9800GT. Finally see what some people mean (yeah took me a while to send in my 460, I'm lazy!).

lol gg treyarch

Partied up with two friends last night to play some team tactical. The other team had a party of three, so there was one extra guy. EVERY time it put us at a disadvantage by making the game 3v4. How does that work? Could the game not swap the guy around a bit?

I summed up how I feel about the matchmaking when playing with a friend the other day: "500,000 people online and I join the same game ten times". Just awful. It's a damn shame...

Can anyone confirm that dashboarding when losing doesn't count as a loss? Some wanker I was destroying earlier today dashboarded towards the end of the game a loss was inevitable. I sent him a mocking message, and he replied saying he was trying to maintain his 59 win streak and dashboarding means the sever doesn't recognise the loss.

What the fuck is that?!

3ur4zn said:
Can anyone confirm that dashboarding when losing doesn't count as a loss? Some wanker I was destroying earlier today dashboarded towards the end of the game a loss was inevitable. I sent him a mocking message, and he replied saying he was trying to maintain his 59 win streak and dashboarding means the sever doesn't recognise the loss.

What the fuck is that?!

Yep. It's true. :(

How do people care enough about this stupid game to go through the hassle just to not get a loss? Same goes for people sitting in corners to get good kill/death ratios.

cuevas said:
How do people care enough about this stupid game to go through the hassle just to not get a loss? Same goes for people sitting in corners to get good kill/death ratios.

On the other side of the coin, I ran into a P1L41 today with a 0.3 K/D. How can he still be enjoying the game?

cuevas said:

Sometimes I get it. Having a high ratio (20 for example) is pretty awesome and it goes down really fast when you start dying. And there are times like in Summit where it's so easy to wait inside and let everyone come to you on one side or the other. But when I'm running around Jungle or Launch and get killed by a dude who has 1 kill and is hiding in some random corner I just don't understand.

jedimike

cuevas said:

It just depends on what kind of player you are. I hate running around the map, chasing team spawns. I prefer to "own" an area. In jungle, I take the area on the back trail across from the broken bridge. In summit, the top of building 2. In Array, it's the computer room, etc.

I don't "hide in a corner" for an entire match. But I do patrol my area and hardly ever attack the map. My favorite tool is the claymore and then I use Ghost pro and hacker pro so no one knows I'm there.

I've really been on a roll lately. Upgraded my internet connection from the regular high speed to the "Extreme" version. Really made a big difference as I don't feel like I'm shooting more bullets than I need to. Also switched from Ghost to Hardline and it's been nice getting those killstreaks quicker...my spy plane is up from the start to end of the match now it seems.

jedimike said:
It just depends on what kind of player you are. I hate running around the map, chasing team spawns. I prefer to "camp" an area. In jungle, I take the area on the back trail across from the broken bridge. In summit, the top of building 2. In Array, it's the computer room, etc.

I don't "hide in a corner" for an entire match. But I do patrol my area and hardly ever attack the map. My favorite tool is the claymore and then I use Ghost pro and hacker pro so no one knows I'm there.

fixed

divisionbyzorro said:
When things go well, they go really well, and this game feels like the best thing I've ever played. But when you get into those shitty games, it's the worst thing I've ever played. I raged in MW2 because I would get killed out of nowhere in situations where I'd done nothing wrong. But I'm raging in Blops because I will die even though I did everything right.

I dunno. Maybe it's just the rage talking, but I don't know how much more I'll be playing of this if the next patch doesn't fix it.
You realize when the game is going "really well" for you, it's probably going really shitty for the other guy? I've been in plenty of games where I'm sure that the guy I just shot down cleanly is throwing his controller to the ground and screaming, "I shot that guy in the face!" and the killcam he's watching shows me coming around the corner while his back is turned.

adamsappel said:
You realize when the game is going "really well" for you, it's probably going really shitty for the other guy? I've been in plenty of games where I'm sure that the guy I just shot down cleanly is throwing his controller to the ground and screaming, "I shot that guy in the face!" and the killcam he's watching shows me coming around the corner while his back is turned.

Very true! I suppose there's no way to know if I've ever actually done well in a fair fight, is there?

I'm seriously this close to trading this game back in, but I know that Treyarch tends to patch their products religiously, so I'm gonna keep it around. But I'm definitely putting it away for a while. It's not good for my blood pressure or my relationship with my wife (I tend to get a little too grumpy when I play - and by grumpy I mean screaming BULLSHIT at the top of my lungs :lol).

I think what I hate most is not knowing what killed me. Did I die because I did something wrong? Or did I die because the game hates me?

EDIT: Just pulled the disc out of my 360. I'm done for now. I've got a good backlog that I've been meaning to get into anyway.

divisionbyzorro said:
Very true! I suppose there's no way to know if I've ever actually done well in a fair fight, is there?

I'm seriously this close to trading this game back in, but I know that Treyarch tends to patch their products religiously, so I'm gonna keep it around. But I'm definitely putting it away for a while. It's not good for my blood pressure or my relationship with my wife (I tend to get a little too grumpy when I play - and by grumpy I mean screaming BULLSHIT at the top of my lungs :lol).

I think what I hate most is not knowing what killed me. Did I die because I did something wrong? Or did I die because the game hates me?

EDIT: Just pulled the disc out of my 360. I'm done for now. I've got a good backlog that I've been meaning to get into anyway.

:lol

Yeah, there are times where I just need a break from COD just for my sanity, although Black Ops doesnt make me rage like MW2 did. :D

Strider2K99 said:
Haha, I saw your tweet from WPC divisionbyzorro.

:lol

I love the Blops emblem editor. It reminds me of playing with the Forza editors back in the day. I've been frequenting the GiantBomb thread for emblems and doing some requests, and I started archiving a lot of my work online: http://blops-emblems.blogspot.com/ So I figured I might as well tell WPC about it and see if they'd re-tweet it.

Infinity

Amazon is running a $47 deal on this right now for the 360. Is it worth it, or do you think it's worth waiting for more patches?

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
3ur4zn said:

What the fuck is that?!
I didn't know that..

This may help with my goal of 100 win streak. :lol

Infinity said:
Amazon is running a $47 deal on this right now for the 360. Is it worth it, or do you think it's worth waiting for more patches?

If you buy it now, patch #2 will likely be out before you even get it. It was submitted to Sony/MS ceritifcation on December 6.

Infinity said:
Definitely not worth it. It depends on if you're a Treyarch guy or an Infinity Ward guy.

This game...

I just played a match where this dude froze. I shot him a bunch and nothing happened, after seeing the clip in theater mode it turns out the guy was invisible, or something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO2HD0muN_U&feature=player_embedded

divisionbyzorro said:

My Bender had more charm. I switched it up though and made this guy:

DSC00008.jpg

I was thinking about going through the other ATHF characters, but this one is too perfect with the moon background. I'll change it later.

Stackboy

I love this thread. 264 pages of complaining and you keep playing.

I play Halo:Reach and BLOPS pretty much the same amount as each other, but if I had issues with a game like some of you, I would just stop playing.

tsigo

Stackboy said:

I play Halo:Reach and BLOPS pretty much the same amount as each other, but if I had issues with a game like some of you, I would just stop playing.

Thanks for stopping by!

user_nat

Stackboy said:

It's pretty funny really.

Whilst I am playing, I am constantly complaining and most posts that I make here are also complaining. Yet.. I keep playing.

It's easier to complain than it is to compliment the good things I guess.

Stackboy said:

Then most people on here wouldn't play any games, lol.

Stackboy

It just surprises me that this still goes on. If you feel so compelled to whinge about gameplay mechanics, then why keep playing something?

I'm not making efforts to flame, like I said I play BLOPS like the rest of you in this thread. Just trying to understand why you would go to such ends with a game clearly a lot of you aren't enjoying the experience of playing online.

Nizz

divisionbyzorro said:

I'm there with you, sir. :D Sometimes I laugh when I watch clips online of people raging, but playing this game I'm literally that guy. I'm not kidding when I say I was screaming at the television. My brother's hearing me through all this and he's like "why don't you just play something else?"

Best thing you can do is take a break from the game. You don't want to be mad with wifey. It's not worth it. I took my disc out as well today. I think I'm not going back to it until that patch comes. I'm going to finish up PoP 08 (just need to heal one group world) and that's done. Then I'll probably play Mirror's Edge, try out some speed runs.

Stackboy said:
It just surprises me that this still goes on. If you feel so compelled to whinge about gameplay mechanics, then why keep playing something?

I'm not making efforts to flame, like I said I play BLOPS like the rest of you in this thread. Just trying to understand why you would go to such ends with a game clearly a lot of you aren't enjoying the experience of playing online.

I think its more, "I love this game but sometimes while playing this shit can change that..."

purple cobra said:
I'm there with you, sir. :D Sometimes I laugh when I watch clips online of people raging, but playing this game I'm literally that guy. I'm not kidding when I say I was screaming at the television. My brother's hearing me through all this and he's like "why don't you just play something else?"

Best thing you can do is take a break from the game. You don't want to be mad with wifey. It's not worth it. I took my disc out as well today. I think I'm not going back to it until that patch comes. I'm going to finish up PoP 08 (just need to heal one group world) and that's done. Then I'll probably play Mirror's Edge, try out some speed runs.

I dunno; I raged pretty hard at Mirror's Edge when I played it. Damn I hated that game. :lol

But yeah; I figure a week or two off should help. Maybe I'll play Zombies or something.

wtf at people using last stand a lot lately , really pissing me off :lol

can't wait til knife lunges are fixed.

any word on news for dlc maps?
i could go for some new zombie maps

friskykillface said:
wtf at people using last stand a lot lately , really pissing me off :lol

can't wait til knife lunges are fixed.

any word on news for dlc maps?
i could go for some new zombie maps

I never reap the benefits of knife lunging. It's so rare for me yet so common to see for others. I've said it before but it continues to amaze, people are flying 5 feet at me constantly yet I can knife them when there's less than a foot between us and (1)they walk on by or (2)I knife the air and they kill me.

I don't mind the lunging if it was consistent and we can all benefit from it. I mind the lunging only happening when it feels like it.

I'm not having fun playing this game... so why I do I keep playing it? I liked MW2 more. There, I said it. I wish the third map pack would have had come out. =(

grap3fruitman said:
I'm not having fun playing this game... so why I do I keep playing it? I liked MW2 more. There, I said it. I wish the third map pack would have had come out. =(

Early in MW2's lifecycle, I did like it more. But once the exploitative kits started coming into widespread usage, I started hating it. The community for that game started ruining the experience after about 3-4 months.

grap3fruitman said:
Why aren't you playing mw2? Its still a top 5 XBL game. If you want to play the worst game in the series there's plenty of people who will be there with you.

user_nat

jonnybryce said:
I never reap the benefits of knife lunging. It's so rare for me yet so common to see for others. I've said it before but it continues to amaze, people are flying 5 feet at me constantly yet I can knife them when there's less than a foot between us and (1)they walk on by or (2)I knife the air and they kill me.

I don't mind the lunging if it was consistent and we can all benefit from it. I mind the lunging only happening when it feels like it.
I think (and hope) most of the knife lunging is a result of latency. So you might not think that you do it to other people, but from their end you probably are.

GeekyDad

Stackboy said:

Depends...

If you're referring strictly to issues people have with the gameplay, then I couldn't say.

If you're referring to technical issues, I would say it's because the game is so good, it's especially frustrating when technical issues make the game unplayable for you. You want to play the game so badly because it's got so much of what you love, but you're kind of robbed of the enjoyment here and there. With that in mind, I'm sure some of us are hoping against hope our complaints make their way back to the Treyarch lair.

VALKYRAY

Banned
cuevas said:
Why aren't you playing mw2? Its still a top 5 XBL game. If you want to play the worst game in the series there's plenty of people who will be there with you.
mw2 is a much better game than black ops

Stackboy

grap3fruitman said:

This is exactly what I can't understand. Even if all your friends are playing it and you remain miserable, it can't be worthwhile.

Top Bottom