• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
yoopoo said:
NextGenTactics‬‎/Gunns4Hire Ranting on Black Ops http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5TzjTvolTc

Shit's true. MW2 is an overall more polished experience. If only they addressed OMA and Commando, right? It'd be like COD4 all over again.

W@W comes out: "Oh that's cool", hit first prestige, then go back to COD4

Same thing could of happened with BO and MW2 if IW actually fixed the extreme issues.

LeMaximilian said:
Shit's true. MW2 is an overall more polished experience. If only they addressed OMA and Commando, right? It'd be like COD4 all over again.

W@W comes out: "Oh that's cool", hit first prestige, then go back to COD4

Same thing could of happened with BO and MW2 if IW actually fixed the extreme issues.
Exactly. People act like Infinity Ward purposely put and left those elements (OMA, Commando) in the game. They were going to be fixed, but IW was shut down before a patch could be released.

Koroshi said:
Exactly. People act like Infinity Ward purposely put and left those elements (OMA, Commando) in the game. They were going to be fixed, but IW was shut down before a patch could be released.
They had plenty of time to fix that stuff.

kuYuri

Patch 1.04 is going live for PS3 at 2AM PST.

http://twitter.com/#!/JD_2020/status/14508760466722816

PS3 specific patch notes again for anyone who missed it:

Issues Addressed:
* • Resolved several issues with parties getting disbanded unexpectedly.
* • Additional measures to prevent the “Transmission error” and other disconnects. This was most likely to occur with large parties where party members had mixed NAT types.
* • Updated handling for UPnP-enabled routers to improve matchmaking conditions where users had strict or moderate NAT types. Also added in-game communications so that all players are aware of their NAT type in the Player Match party lobby.
* • Addressed an issue with VOIP icons not appearing when USB headsets were plugged in prior to game launch.
* • Prevention of exploit that allowed players to keep custom classes and killstreaks after prestige.
* • Addressed an issue where Flak Jacket Pro would not always protect against ground fires left by Napalm Strikes.
* • Prevention of users losing their killstreak reward when switching classes at the start of a new round in round-based game modes.
* • Addressed an issue where the incorrect perks would appear when spectating another player under certain circumstances.
* • Added round start explosive delay to China Lake grenade launcher to give it the same round start limitations as other explosives.
* • Contracts will now reset when the player Prestiges.
* • Prevention of Valkyrie rocket exploding upon release under rare conditions.
* • Prevention of Gunship and Chopper Gunner failing to give player full control under rare conditions.
* • Prevention of an issue where a player will get teleported outside the map boundaries under very specific circumstances.
* • Additional security measures to enhance detection and banning capabilities.

Gameplay Tuning:
* • Limit the ability to re-roll supply drops using Hardline Pro to Care Packages only, no other killstreak drops.
* • Added a negative influencer to all spawn points to decrease the chances of spawning near an enemy. This will further improve spawning protection on top of previous updates.
* • Additional sound mix tuning for Ninja Pro users – increased ranges and volume of enemy footsteps, and removed player footstep sounds on concrete material types.
* • Increased headshot multipliers for sniper rifles. Sniper rifles with suppressors equipped will now always be ensured one-shot kill headshots.
* • Subtle increase in sniper rifle accuracy when scoping in.
* • Added a render delay to the red diamond player indicators that appear when controlling the Gunship, Valkyrie Rocket and Chopper Gunner. When a player first spawns, this will not appear for a period of time.
* • Additional minor reductions in knife lunge.

EDIT: Beaten.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
It's really depressing. There's so many things BO does right over the previous COD games. I'm just upset that the most basic things like connectivity/playability are some of the biggest issues at hand with a new game.

What's the verdict for Modern Warfare 3 in Nov 2011, do we think they'll actually do a beta this time around? Or will we get a game that runs 5fps, 10 if your lucky...and games last an average of 2 minutes due to bad hosts/ragequiting.

kuYuri

Depends on the people who are left at IW and the new people who have been hired. A number of the programmers/designers/etc. left, who knows how much of an effect that will have until the game comes out.

I just hope that this time, IW won't have their thumbs up their ass and actually implement some of the improvements that were there since WaW and ones introduced in Black Ops (Leave with party option, Assists score calculations, etc.)

Neverender said:
They had plenty of time to fix that stuff.
Like people in this thread have said, it takes time to get a patch prepared and released. It's no different for Infinity Ward. That Activision scandal just happened before the patch could.

Koroshi said:
Like people in this thread have said, it takes time to get a patch prepared and released. It's no different for Infinity Ward. That Activision scandal just happened before the patch could.

All I care about is what I can play, and MW2 is shit in its current state. I don't care what their intentions were.

Koroshi said:

Doubtful. There were never any plans to seriously nerf OMA-tubing. And beyond that, there were a crapload of basic design flaws inherent in that game.

• You removed Juggernaut, but not Stopping Power?
  • The counter to Danger Close is an equipment?
  • Scavenger + Claymores
  • Nukes
  • One Man Army (regardless of noob tubing)

I could go on. The game was a design mess. It was mean to be casual fun, not to be taken seriously.

divisionbyzorro said:
Doubtful. There were never any plans to seriously nerf OMA-tubing. And beyond that, there were a crapload of basic design flaws inherent in that game.

• Scavenger + Claymores
  • Nukes

I could go on. The game was a design mess. It was mean to be casual fun, not to be taken seriously.
- I agree about Stopping Power.
- Danger Close wouldn't be a problem if OMA was fixed.
- They patched this up so you can only plant two claymores at a time. Might still be a problem to some people, but I think it's fair.
- Nukes were fun as hell to get. It's an amazing feeling to get one. You can't use the argument about people camping for it, because people will camp for any killstreak above six. That's just how CoD is.
- Agreed about OMA. They were, however, going to fix it. I remember reading one of Robert Bowling's last tweets as an IW member, saying that the patch was nearly complete but was put on hold due to the Activision situation.

tsigo

I'll be honest. One of my MW2 classes was a Scavenger/Claymore setup. I felt dickish every time I used it, but at some point I was just doing it to see if anyone would do something about it. It's so ridiculously easy to counter. But person after person just keeps running into the same room with the claymores in the exact same spot, completely oblivious.

1) Throw a concussion grenade within 15 feet of a claymore; it doesn't even need line of sight.
2) Walk in, kill camper.

Or use Blast Shield. Or Lightweight. Or Riot Shield.

tsigo said:
I'll be honest. One of my MW2 classes was a Scavenger/Claymore setup. I felt dickish every time I used it, but at some point I was just doing it to see if anyone would do something about it. It's so ridiculously easy to counter. But person after person just keeps running into the same room with the claymores in the exact same spot, completely oblivious.

1) Throw a concussion grenade within 15 feet of a claymore; it doesn't even need line of sight.
2) Walk in, kill camper.

Or use Blast Shield. Or Lightweight. Or Riot Shield.

Cool.

VALKYRAY

Banned
cuevas said:
The negatives of BLOPS bother me less than those of MW2. It's the core mechanics in MW2 that bothered me.
you are full of shit. whats your definition of core mechanics? OMA? commando?

LeMaximilian said:
It's really depressing. There's so many things BO does right over the previous COD games. I'm just upset that the most basic things like connectivity/playability are some of the biggest issues at hand with a new game.

VALKYRAY

Banned
divisionbyzorro said:

• Scavenger + Claymores
  • Nukes

- everybody is running stopping power, there's no need to counter it.
- danger close increase explosives but does not increas your bullet damage. counter it with your gun
- there are so many ways to counter claymore, scavenger is not a issue unless you are a fucking noob
- nuke is bullshit, but how many times have you gotten the nuke playing by yourself without a team. if you haven't got none, then i m not suprised to see you bitching about it.
- oma is the only problem of the game

VALKYRAY said:
you are full of shit. whats your definition of core mechanics? OMA? commando?

Yep, pretty much everything discussed in the past couple posts. Perks and equipment can drastically change a game.

LeMaximilian said:
Just had a 67-0 game on Cracked. Will prolly put up a vid later.
Damn how did you manage to get on a team that only got 8 kills?

Does anyone know how the game determines who is chosen as host? I'm on Wii, but I'm assuming it's the same everywhere. lolWii, I know, but Modern Warfare ran super smooth on the same engine, whether I was host or not.

My problem is that the game chooses me as host for literally 95% of the time. I'm not even joking. I'm assuming it's because I have a fast internet speed, but I'm not sure.

My problem is that my own game runs soooooo much smoother during the 5% that I'm not host. As host, I always die because of lag. I sometimes lag the whole match. I can't take hosting anymore. It's just a pain in the ass.

So if anyone knows what determines host, I'd be eternally grateful. If it's my own internet speed, I'm willing to put aluminum foil over my router to make my connection worse.

Freezie KO said:
Does anyone know how the game determines who is chosen as host? I'm on Wii, but I'm assuming it's the same everywhere. lolWii, I know, but Modern Warfare ran super smooth on the same engine, whether I was host or not.

My problem is that the game chooses me as host for literally 95% of the time. I'm not even joking. I'm assuming it's because I have a fast internet speed, but I'm not sure.

My problem is that my own game runs soooooo much smoother during the 5% that I'm not host. As host, I always die because of lag. I sometimes lag the whole match. I can't take hosting anymore. It's just a pain in the ass.

So if anyone knows what determines host, I'd be eternally grateful. If it's my own internet speed, I'm willing to put aluminum foil over my router to make my connection worse.
I never thought I would hear someone trying to make their connection worse. :lol

Koroshi said:
- I agree about Stopping Power.
- Danger Close wouldn't be a problem if OMA was fixed.
- They patched this up so you can only plant two claymores at a time. Might still be a problem to some people, but I think it's fair.
- Nukes were fun as hell to get. It's an amazing feeling to get one. You can't use the argument about people camping for it, because people will camp for any killstreak above six. That's just how CoD is.
- Agreed about OMA. They were, however, going to fix it. I remember reading one of Robert Bowling's last tweets as an IW member, saying that the patch was nearly complete but was put on hold due to the Activision situation.

- danger close not only increased damage, but the range of explosives. ANd on top of that, it increased the already ridiculously big hitbox for killstreaks like the predator, AC130, and ESPECIALLY the chopper gunner.
-scavenger still lets you keep restocking claymores instead of learning to actually watch your back.
-Nukes ruined objective-based gametypes by encouraging people to camp for kills instead of going for the objective

I do have to wonder, since they already have the data in the code, why didn't they allow players to use a few of the W@W weapons. Yeah they would be inferior, but nothing would be more awesome than having prestige rewards be homage weapons like a mosin nagant with bayonette, an MP40 that has identical damage to the skorpion, a PPSH41 with round drum, etc. It would be like the MP44 in CoD4.

eek5

Freezie KO said:
It speedtests you when you first get to the mp menu. You can check what it rates you as by going to MP options then hitting back. Unlike MW2 it never rechecks after you get past this menu so you could throttle your internet get a low bandwidth and then unthrottle it to play and you should never get selected as host.

I forget what the limit for host is. I think someone said it is 8000 or something but it might be less.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Freezie KO said:

Same thing happens on 360. It's not your internet, it's the game. I'm actually shocked to hear similar issues pop up on a completely different console.

Well I rebuilt the config file and it runs super smooth for 95% of the time. It occasionally stutters at the worst time.

Hardcore Search <3 Bring back some WaW maps! Outskirts was amazing for HC SnD.

Koroshi said:
I never thought I would hear someone trying to make their connection worse. :lol

Seriously. Gameplay, good. Netcode, lol.

eek5 said:
It speedtests you when you first get to the mp menu. You can check what it rates you as by going to MP options then hitting back. Unlike MW2 it never rechecks after you get past this menu so you could throttle your internet get a low bandwidth and then unthrottle it to play and you should never get selected as host.

I forget what the limit for host is. I think someone said it is 8000 or something but it might be less.

Awesome. Thanks for the info. Now, I'll just try streaming HD movies to my Mac, laptop, and phone all at once. Then once I'm not selected as host, I'll cancel.

Oh, Black Ops. You're so funny.

LeMaximilian said:
Same thing happens on 360. It's not your internet, it's the game. I'm actually shocked to hear similar issues pop up on a completely different console.

I thought it might be because the Wii is trying to host all the players, and it's just not powerful enough. I figured that it worked on MW:Reflex, but just couldn't handle Black Ops.

But I did read that the PS3 and 360 are having this issue too with host-lagging, so I just don't know. So odd.

All I know is that I'm consistently chosen, and I get really red-faced angry. I don't want to be one of those guys, but if you turned a webcam on me, it'd probably be embarrassing.

Just had three domination games in a row with no lag. My internet isn't the best around so I'm always telling my buds that I would kill for a good connection because I know I get killed a lot due to lag... Well these last three games I've had 50+ kills and single digit deaths. I need better internet so damn bad!

eek5

title update appears to be out

edit: 52.23.37.5, it was 50.25.46.3 before patch. played my first match. I'm not the best sniper.. only did it for a while but wanted to test if the patch did anything different. Rocky start; had 3-4 hitmarkers that dropped people into second chance but it seemed about the same as before.. still have to hardscope basically but I'm not the greatest sniper so it is hard to tell if they're actually usable now. I was using l96 with variable

I then switched to my more mobile class and tested knifing. It seems about the same to me as well. I sort of didn't expect much of a change because I normally don't attempt a knife until very close to the enemy player model anyway but I had zero problems knifing in my post-patch match

even managed to get over 2000 in it :D

2000.png

edit2: lol 2nd game 2 people have 4 bars everyone else is 2 bars. guess nothing ever changes :lol

edit3: host selection improvements are working great...

wtf.png

lol ..

MightyHealthy said:

my worst one wasn't because of lag or latency.. i dropped a guy into last stand with my last couple of bullets and had to reload so i got behind a box around the corner from him and he somehow managed to knife me through it...

never rendered it because of embarrassment lol

GeekyDad

Freezie KO said:
Seriously. Gameplay, good. Netcode, lol.

Yeah, I was disheartened to see Treyarch even mention balance/gameplay fixes in their latest patch list. Honestly, who the fuck gives a shit about any of that if you can't even play the game. Put some wheels on that mother; then worry about cherrying the fucking thing out. Dayum!

mandiller

It's been a few weeks since I last posted in this thread. I just thought I'd chip back in and say this game still runs like arse.

Good damn it Treyarch. It's been over a month since launch, patch you're buggy so-and-so already. I'm tired of it stuttering all over the place. It stutters just the same if it's on the lowest graphics setting possible as if it is on the highest. No more, no less.

And just while I feel the need to vent. If I hold a birthday party I'm never going to invite anyone from Treyarch. Whoever the monkey is that coded the PC version, he can stay away

Okay, that's mean. He can have a piece of cake

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Just downloaded the new patch.

Seems like its taking a lot longer to find a match for me now and my connection is always shittty when I do finally get into a game.

I'm not noticing any difference in the game yet. I'm still getting knifed from 10 feet away because the latency is shit.

VALKYRAY said:
- everybody is running stopping power, there's no need to counter it.
- danger close increase explosives but does not increas your bullet damage. counter it with your gun
- there are so many ways to counter claymore, scavenger is not a issue unless you are a fucking noob
- nuke is bullshit, but how many times have you gotten the nuke playing by yourself without a team. if you haven't got none, then i m not suprised to see you bitching about it.
- oma is the only problem of the game

:lol

• Stopping power forces you to neuter yourself to choose a more tactical perk. It's so much better than the other perks in that category it's ridiculous (exploitative kits and certain edge cases notwithstanding).
  • Danger Close increases the kill radius of all explosives. It removes the need to even pretend to have accuracy with the GL.
  • The ability to drop an infinite number of claymores, even if you can only have two at a time, is insane. It let's me constantly have a buddy watching my back; even if you take it out, I still get notification that you're there. Black Ops gets this right. The claymore watches my back and can get me one free kill. The motion sensor watches my back, but won't kill anything and has a perk to counter it. The Camera watches my back, but takes away my mini-map. Perfect balance.
  • I got 10 nukes legitimately for my emblem and then never equipped it again because it's fucking stupid. If you got a 25-streak in Blops, that's impressive. If you got a 25-streak in MW2, it's not; it just means that you got a 7-streak and your opponents are morons. Unless you're pulling off a killstreakless nuke, you're kidding yourself if you think it means you have skill.
  • OMA is hardly the only problem with that game. I didn't even touch on Commando, the UMP, the ACR, Akimbo G18s, spawn-tubing, the Intervention's wacky hit detection, etc. These are design decision baked into the core of the game specifically to make it a more casual "anyone can get some kills" experience.

Black Ops has a couple of baked-in balance issues, but nothing terribly egregious. The RC-XD is stupidthe snipers are nerfed too much, and the G11 is ridiculous. But so far those are the only design problems. It is a much better game in theory, and if they can ever fix the netcode issues, it would be the best CoD multiplayer by a mile.

Speaking of which: how is the patch? Does it help matchmaking/host selection? And Hutch has been tweeting that it's made snipers better too; is that true?

eek5

divisionbyzorro said:

• Stopping power forces you to neuter yourself to choose a more tactical perk. It's so much better than the other perks in that category it's ridiculous (exploitative kits and certain edge cases notwithstanding).
  • Danger Close increases the kill radius of all explosives. It removes the need to even pretend to have accuracy with the GL.
  • The ability to drop an infinite number of claymores, even if you can only have two at a time, is insane. It let's me constantly have a buddy watching my back; even if you take it out, I still get notification that you're there. Black Ops gets this right. The claymore watches my back and can get me one free kill. The motion sensor watches my back, but won't kill anything and has a perk to counter it. The Camera watches my back, but takes away my mini-map. Perfect balance.
  • I got 10 nukes legitimately for my emblem and then never equipped it again because it's fucking stupid. If you got a 25-streak in Blops, that's impressive. If you got a 25-streak in MW2, it's not; it just means that you got a 7-streak and your opponents are morons. Unless you're pulling off a killstreakless nuke, you're kidding yourself if you think it means you have skill.
  • OMA is hardly the only problem with that game. I didn't even touch on Commando, the UMP, the ACR, Akimbo G18s, spawn-tubing, the Intervention's wacky hit detection, etc. These are design decision baked into the core of the game specifically to make it a more casual "anyone can get some kills" experience.

Black Ops has a couple of baked-in balance issues, but nothing terribly egregious. The RC-XD is stupidthe snipers are nerfed too much, and the G11 is ridiculous. But so far those are the only design problems. It is a much better game in theory, and if they can ever fix the netcode issues, it would be the best CoD multiplayer by a mile.

Speaking of which: how is the patch? Does it help matchmaking/host selection? And Hutch has been tweeting that it's made snipers better too; is that true?

You can actually pull off flick shots reliably now since ADS accuracy kicks in much sooner but it is still pretty hard to snipe unless you're good

GeekyDad

Just hopped over to the official PS3 forums for the game, and man, it's complete bedlam over there. Don't know what Treyarch did, but from the sounds of it, things have only gotten worse after the patch.

Lynch mob incoming!

Miggytronz

LeMaximilian said:
What's the verdict for Modern Warfare 3 in Nov 2011, do we think they'll actually do a beta this time around? Or will we get a game that runs 5fps, 10 if your lucky...and games last an average of 2 minutes due to bad hosts/ragequiting.

WHOA i thought the MW name is a not for use title due to the previous IW owners taking ownership of that name with them to Respawn.

I doubt we get a BETA.

Sniping is definitely stronger now. Easier to get the headshot and upper torso kill. Sway has been reduced a bit in the initial scope in. Feels slightly less random also.

I didn't have any problem getting into games myself this morning.

Won't be able to test the party stuff until this evening.

MCX

Banned
Y'know what I hate, and I've been seeing this happen more and more on BO Wii: people entering domination and treating it like a glorified TDM. These people play only to rack up kills, don't capture flags (or even try) and sure as hell don't defend unless it happens by chance when they're on their little killing spree. PLAY THE MODE THE RIGHT WAY OR GTFO and go back to TDM.

Huggers

Well I don't know how they did it. But Treyarch managed to fuck the PS3 versions online even worse than pre patch. Right now I can't even get into a game for all manner of errors

divisionbyzorro said:

Awesome post, but you also forgot deathstreaks! How much fun was that unloading in someone in the back only to have them turn around while you are still pumping them full of lead and kill you.

Top Bottom