• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

U2NUMB

yoopoo said:
Could someone test you Ninja Pro...can you hear enemy footsteps now?

As I sit at work I am very curious about this also. Love my headset and hope that this was fixed or adjusted.

Also sounds like the 360 patch is out also.. gonna test it out over lunch.

The footsteps thing is why I have yet to play Search and Destroy which is my favorite mode in COD. Sound is so important in that game mode that I didn't want to get frustrated with not hearing things so I just waited for patches on that.

BigBlue1974 said:
Awesome post, but you also forgot deathstreaks! How much fun was that unloading in someone in the back only to have them turn around while you are still pumping them full of lead and kill you.

Oh man; how could I forget Painkiller?! I must have blocked it out from my memory. :lol

divisionbyzorro said:
:lol

• Stopping power forces you to neuter yourself to choose a more tactical perk. It's so much better than the other perks in that category it's ridiculous (exploitative kits and certain edge cases notwithstanding).
  • Danger Close increases the kill radius of all explosives. It removes the need to even pretend to have accuracy with the GL.
  • The ability to drop an infinite number of claymores, even if you can only have two at a time, is insane. It let's me constantly have a buddy watching my back; even if you take it out, I still get notification that you're there. Black Ops gets this right. The claymore watches my back and can get me one free kill. The motion sensor watches my back, but won't kill anything and has a perk to counter it. The Camera watches my back, but takes away my mini-map. Perfect balance.
  • I got 10 nukes legitimately for my emblem and then never equipped it again because it's fucking stupid. If you got a 25-streak in Blops, that's impressive. If you got a 25-streak in MW2, it's not; it just means that you got a 7-streak and your opponents are morons. Unless you're pulling off a killstreakless nuke, you're kidding yourself if you think it means you have skill.
  • OMA is hardly the only problem with that game. I didn't even touch on Commando, the UMP, the ACR, Akimbo G18s, spawn-tubing, the Intervention's wacky hit detection, etc. These are design decision baked into the core of the game specifically to make it a more casual "anyone can get some kills" experience.

Black Ops has a couple of baked-in balance issues, but nothing terribly egregious. The RC-XD is stupidthe snipers are nerfed too much, and the G11 is ridiculous. But so far those are the only design problems. It is a much better game in theory, and if they can ever fix the netcode issues, it would be the best CoD multiplayer by a mile.

Speaking of which: how is the patch? Does it help matchmaking/host selection? And Hutch has been tweeting that it's made snipers better too; is that true?

Couldn't agree more.

I'm Australian, playing 360, and I can't recall the last time I experienced lag, host dropouts, stuttering or matchmaking troubles. Am I lucky, or are you guys exaggerating?

cameltoe

Disguises said:
I've had lag like that kick in once joining a game already in progress. I've also hosted a couple of matches without terrible lag. Weird. :/. Good news about the patch. Hope snipers don't get overly buffed.

it really only happens to me when hosting ground war matches....once in awhile it will happen in dom, but its rare.

eek5

divisionbyzorro said:
Oh man; how could I forget Painkiller?! I must have blocked it out from my memory. :lol
1/3 damage for 9 seconds.. what a great idea :lol

cameltoe said:
Can you finally hear the enemies footsteps with ninja pro? Thats all I care about...

yes and you hear all their reload/callout sounds loud and clear. i was able to tell what direction they were coming from as well. still not as loud as past cods though but they are on the right track..

3ur4zn said:
Couldn't agree more.

I'm Australian, playing 360, and I can't recall the last time I experienced lag, host dropouts, stuttering or matchmaking troubles. Am I lucky, or are you guys exaggerating?
I'll go with lucky. Most of last week I was having great connections, which probably means the people I was playing with weren't perhaps. I was racking up kills with ease. The last couple nights though, my connection has been flaky and it's just been a ton of issues. Waiting in a lobby forever, game finally starts, 10 second in get disconnected. I was literally saying out loud, "I JUST WANT TO PLAY!".

LeMaximilian said:
Black Ops Bullshit

video on the Host Disadvantage

Over 3 days of play time on the 360 version, same as the video, and I have never seen anything like that. Game runs smooth as fucking silk for me. Guess whatever this issue is, is just hit or miss like most of the other network stuff people complain about.

Overall game runs infinitely better than MW2 did for me.

Infinity

Bumblebeetuna said:
Over 3 days of play time on the 360 version, same as the video, and I have never seen anything like that. Game runs smooth as fucking silk for me. Guess whatever this issue is, is just hit or miss like most of the other network stuff people complain about.

Overall game runs infinitely better than MW2 did for me.

So is the 360 version the most stable of the bunch?

Huggers

Hanmik said:
Any feedback on the PS3 game after patch.. ?

Talking strictly stability and not tweaks. Today it has been worse than ever for me. Trying to get into games takes an age and constant retries. Plus a good few connection errors and failed host migrations during the matches I finally got in to.

Hanmik

GeekyDad said:
http://www.callofduty.com/board/viewforum.php?f=72

See for yourself, man. The forums over there are total anarchy. It seems to be the general consensus that the patch made things worse, not better.

For total disclosure, I'm trolling the hell out of that forum. Trying to see if I can help work them into a froth. :D

haha

is this you TreyarchGlobalPR ? that guy is a genious...

Dear PS3 Gamers,

We know you're upset.

Oh well. That sucks.

We promise the next CoD game will be amazing though! Why don't you pre-order that game for $59.99 when you guys get the chance? Then wait outside at midnight in the cold. We promise it'll be worth it! It's Call of Duty so it must be awesome!

Oh don't worry. If there are issues feel free to tweet us or post your complaints on this forum!

We read everything.

We care about you, the consumer.

Until then, have fun with Black Ops!

Hope to see you guys online by the way [inside joke amongst us Treyarch employees]!

Your Gods,

Treyarch

PS: We've getting some positive responses. Looks like we're doing a good job.

PPS: We are definitely the real Treyarch. I am totally not being sarcastic.... totally.

PPPS: Activision is the greatest company ever.... and no, they didn't pay us to say that.

haha :lol :lol

I will sell this crapfest of a game.. it is simply not worth the hassle..

Hanmik

divisionbyzorro said:
At this point I wouldn't blame any PS3 owner for selling it. :/

I love call of duty games.. but this game is a mess.. this game actually made me hate the CoD franchise.. damn I hate Treyarch for making this mess of a game on PS3..

as far as I can see, the only thing Treyarch brought to PS3 with the patch.. a new menu function.. (WHICH HAS BEEN ON X360 SINCE DAY 1) .. the ability to launch the MP part of the game right away... wauw...

GeekyDad

Hanmik said:
haha

is this you TreyarchGlobalPR ? that guy is a genious...

Nah, but I have been riffing off of him. He is definitely bringing some much-needed humor to the situation.

By the way, the forums are now down.

Maffis

divisionbyzorro said:
The motion sensor watches my back, but won't kill anything and has a perk to counter it

G11 is ridiculous

G11, ridiculous? Is this on console only, because on PC, nobody is using it. I've tried it myself, and it doesn't seem that great to me.

Also, the motion sensor detects everything, even the Ghost perk.

Maffis said:
G11, ridiculous? Is this on console only, because on PC, nobody is using it. I've tried it myself, and it doesn't seem that great to me.

Also, the motion sensor detects everything, even the Ghost perk.

The G11 has almost no recoil, but on a PC where you can use a mouse to counter recoil much easier that you can with a thumbstick, I would imagine that would matter much less.

Hacker Pro counters the motion sensor.

cameltoe

divisionbyzorro said:
The G11 has almost no recoil, but on a PC where you can use a mouse to counter recoil much easier that you can with a thumbstick, I would imagine that would matter much less.

Hacker Pro counters the motion sensor.

does ghost pro as well?

Thought I'd post some of the more entertaining meltdowns from the official forums, saving you guys the trauma of sifting through it yourself.

Seriously? There were so many things they could have done, and what do they decide to nerf? CARE PACKAGES. My entire class is based on care packages and now they've prevented people from re-rolling SAM turrets and Sentry Turrets. What's the point of them now? Who is seriously going to bother with Care Packages at 5 instead of 4? My class centered around survival and efficiency mixed with the excitement and luck associated with the risk that is "Care Packages." Thank you, whoever handles these updates, for listening to the five whining children who thought being able to reroll SAMs was unfair. I cannot believe, out of all the things they would nerf, it would be something based solely on fun and risk.

Have fun with your AK47u's + grip, everyone! Oh, but you guys who enjoy care packages? screw you. You're simply not allowed to have fun. Sorry, did that Huey I get once every 10 matches upset someone? I'm so royally pissed right now... This is absurd. Simply absurd.

This update sucks, I can no longer change the contents of the sam and sentry care packages. They come in a container / crate which is called a CARE PACKAGE, so I should be able to change them. Otherwise just add sam and sentry killstreaks to the keypad directly. Guarding a landing zone for a sam or sentry care package is just not worth it. Besides everyone loves hijacking care packages, don't you? (Also a result is less use for countering this with Hacker Pro)

This update has serious unbalanced consequenses. Hardline Pro is just not worth it anymore. Everyone is going to end up with the same perks (Ghost, Hardened, Ninja) and killstreaks. I'm going to delete my other classes. One or two classes is enough now. (Im thinking about going back to playing MW2, at least there all the perks were equally good. I used all my class slots. Hard and fun to choose the right perks.) I'm a casual gamer and I don't want to end up getting owned by fanboys every game! I just want to have some FUN while playing a game...

And yes, I think it's fair to get 3 care packages for a killstreak of 5. Since killstreak rewards do not count towards your killstreak. Besides care packages are high risk. That care package could be hijacked by the enemy. What are the chances of getting a gunship anyway? I usually change sam and sentry care packages into ammo or spy planes... (MW2: 6 killstreak: Precision Airstrike -> 8 killstreak: Emergency Airdrop, pretty much the same result...)

Not everyone is a fanboy. I do not have 53250 MS Gamer Score, I'm not unemployed, I do not have 1337 skills, I do not go into prestige mode, I do not have hours and hours to play. I get home from work -> I play online, with actual people I know in real life -> I have fun.

I don't want to get owned every game by fan boys.

DO YOU THINK IT'S WEIRD THAT ALL THE CASUAL GAMERS, ONLY NOW CREATE ACCOUNTS TO COMPLAIN?!

We don't have time to hang around on forums, geez... (Final post, Bye) I hope my message gets to treyarch...

GeekyDad

3ur4zn said:
Thought I'd post some of the more entertaining meltdowns from the official forums, saving you guys the trauma of sifting through it yourself.

I'm sure PS3 owners would love to be dealing with those problems. They first have to deal with getting the game to work, though.

Nemic77

PS3 version owner here. Definitely had the worst day so far trying to get into a game today...

I managed to get Nat: Open on Black Ops a couple of days ago and that seemed to help in finding games faster, but today I found it near impossible to get into one. I even had that "Host Disanvantage" in one match. Ridiculous.

U2NUMB

first game on the 360 post patch... filled with people quick scoping.. .ugh.. I sure hope this is not going to be the norm or I may move on.

Huggers

I just gave up playing. To be clear, I played a fair bit since launch, am lvl 50 and haven't quit the game due to technical issues, just persevered. Well done Treyarch, you fucked it. For the first time I just turned it off and gave up, complete unplayable mess. No stability at all, if you can even get into a game. It's staggering to think they could have made it worse, but somehow they did. I'm not even mad, that's amazing

U2NUMB said:
first game on the 360 post patch... filled with people quick scoping.. .ugh.. I sure hope this is not going to be the norm or I may move on.

I've found more noob-tubers than usual, weird. Not like level 20 guys either, I'm talking full 5th prestige players..

I'm about done with the game too. Aiming now feels totally alien for me for no reason whatsoever. Also, the netcode recently has been absolutely attrocious - is there even any point of the quality bars? Probably going to sell it while it's hot.

3ur4zn said:
I honestly cannot understand the level of complaints here for issues I've never encountered. Australia must be some kind of BO nirvana. :D

I believe certainly some people have issues. Especially when they post a youtube link of said issues.

I will say generally I have very few of these issues myself outside of my party being broken up during a search or host migration failing which is annoying.

But then I also had relatively few technical issues with MW 2. I have an open nat, play on 360, and a pretty good connection and I'm a relatively average player but I tend to not have problems finding games or getting good connections or suffering from lag.

Personally I love Black Ops. And now that sniping seems at least feasible on a couple of maps instead of incredibly over-nerfed and broken and ninja works more or less, I see myself having even having more fun.

yoopoo

Banned
Lool their message boards are down from all the people complaining.

10f5h0h.jpg

Huggers said:
I just gave up playing. To be clear, I played a fair bit since launch, am lvl 50 and haven't quit the game due to technical issues, just persevered. Well done Treyarch, you fucked it. For the first time I just turned it off and gave up, complete unplayable mess. No stability at all, if you can even get into a game. It's staggering to think they could have made it worse, but somehow they did. I'm not even mad, that's amazing

Nizz

Huggers said:
This is really depressing. I stopped playing a couple of days ago, vowing to give the game a shot again after the patch. But judging from the comments here Treyarch did the unthinkable and made the already rough PS3 version even worse. :(

I wonder if I should bother to download the patch at all. Sounds like a clusterfuck...

tsigo

I think the Jammer should be a counter to the RC-XD. It jams electronics, right? So do one of the following:

- Make it disable the RC-XD completely when it's in the jammer radius. Probably over-powered.
- Make it slow down the RC-XD. It can still be moved but the movement is stuttered.
- Make it invert the controls of the RC-XD. Makes it difficult but not impossible to use and introduces some skill to a skill-less killstreak.
- Make it introduce static on the controlling person's screen, similar to what it does to the minimap, the closer the car is to the jammer.
- Make it slightly delay the time from the user pulling the trigger to the car exploding.

yoopoo

Banned
From the official forums:

Well its official this game is now un-playable. I never had any real problems with the game but since the patch I have not finished one game and nothing but freezing. and that can't be good for any system. So I believe I'm taking this game back to the store.

First official response:

Hi there. Really sorry to hear you're having significantly more issues since the patch. It's frustrating, we know, and we're working hard now to narrow down what's happening for folks. For instance, have you deleted your game data and then reinstalled the patches to ensure there was not corrupted installation of 1.04?

If you're at all willing to give us some information:

What's your ISP? Upload/download speed?

What Playstation 3 do you own? (Classic/Slim, HD size)

In Multiplayer > Options > System Information Option at the bottom of the screen -

What's your NAT type as listed here?
Bandwidth (Kbps)?
Geographical Region?

Again, we truly appreciate anything you're able to give us to collect this data.

tsigo said:
I think the Jammer should be a counter to the RC-XD. It jams electronics, right? So do one of the following:

- Make it disable the RC-XD completely when it's in the jammer radius. Probably over-powered.
- Make it slow down the RC-XD. It can still be moved but the movement is stuttered.
- Make it invert the controls of the RC-XD. Makes it difficult but not impossible to use and introduces some skill to a skill-less killstreak.
- Make it introduce static on the controlling person's screen, similar to what it does to the minimap, the closer the car is to the jammer.
- Make it slightly delay the time from the user pulling the trigger to the car exploding.
Move RC cars to 5.

Time to move to uav, counter, and blackbird. No reason now to use anything past 8.

Ever since the PS3 patch games are freezing. This never happened to me before and has happened both times after.

I'm very close to snapping this disc in half or selling it. Bring on KZ3.

Lince said:
wow, so now according to Treyarch people should be worried about which PS3 model they're playing the game on?

That is a boilerplate response to a bug report. We do the same thing all the time in business software development; the first thing we need to know is what browser, what computer, what operating system, etc. It shouldn't matter, but each iteration of the console is slightly different (which on a system as complex as the PS3 is non-trivial).

So far I don't think the complaints are exaggerating. It took me ~10 attempts to even start a match and that one got a connection error about halfway through. It could be bad luck, but it is making me worried.

PS3 version. Non-slim.

Wow. Another 10 minutes to finally find a match and another connection error as soon as I get in. This is bad.

U2NUMB said:

same here.

and damn the COD forums are pretty nasty right now.

TreyarchSuckAssPooh said:
**** TREYARCH THEY SUCK ONLY CARE ABOUT XBOX **** TREYARCH!! I BET Josh Olin NEVER EVEN HAVE TRYED THE GAME AT A PS4 GO **** TREYARCH!!!! NEVER AGAIN SHOULD TREYARCH MAKE A GAME **** SHITTY SHITT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

they mad.

w00tman

Well, got home from the Xmas party, to an exciting night of Black Ops and hitting prestige 3. Oh and a balance patch, fantastic.

I have taken a tally of the last 10 games i've "played".

3 have quit instantly due to "host disconnected" bug - no attempt to find a new host, no record of the match having happened.

2 have gone into the match as normal from a full lobby, to find that only 4 people have made it into the match, the rest having crashed whilst loading.

2 have been normal games.

2 have hard-locked my fat-ps3 requiring a reboot

1 played all the way through till about 5 kills from the end, when the host disconnected and an attempt to find a new host started.. and never stopped. XMB - Exit Game.

This is fucking unbelievable. I love the game (hence prestige 3) but this is really, really bad. My connection is absolutely rock solid fiber-optic 10 meg, and lag has only ever been a small problem, but this is worse than ever. I cannot figure this out; I work in finance, and I constantly fucked up on client accounts as wide-ranging as this, I'd be gone in a flash.

/rant over

I played against someone on Wii called [3arc]DEMO, so at least they're testing constantly.

In case you're curious, he went 20-4 and used the FAMAS on Crisis. :p

Top Bottom