• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

cuevas said:
Has anyone been killed by their teammates via explosive barrel? Someone called mortars in and exploded a barrel that killed me and it counted as suicide.
No, but a friend was telling me that if you are in a chopper or gunship and you blow up a barrel or car that any kills from those count towards getting your next killstreak.

3ur4zn said:
3/10. You gained 3 points for bothering to read it, but lost 7 for spouting a tiresome forum 101 response.

I've played a fair amount of COD2, a fuckload of COD4, a ridiculous amounts of WaW, about 3 days of MW2 (accumulative, before I cracked the shits and never played it again) and around 3 days of BO.

In my opinion, WaW had the best maps in the series. For me, that's all that matters.
You have awful tastes in maps. Sorry. Go look a few paged back for the best cod maps.

I think this game really needs to have a cut off point in a match, where nobody new can join. I am so sick of joining matches seconds before they're over.

Tkawsome said:
I think this game really needs to have a cut off point in a match, where nobody new can join. I am so sick of joining matches seconds before they're over.
Yeah I think most of my losses are joining late or just getting dropped from a bad connection.

w00tman

I know that it's been rubbished, but that idea of deleting my gamedata on PS3 and redownloading everything has fixed all of my problems. Yay!

My thoughts on the maps in Black Ops. As a general observation I prefer the maps in MW 2 overall as a package by quite a bit but I still enjoy a number of the black ops maps. I'll sort them into my personal tier favorites. I'm mostly a TDM and S&D player (although I'm only starting S&D now as I was waiting for the ninja patch so I haven't really played them yet in that mode which might change some opinions), and Wager Matches. I'm also a middle range to long range player generally speaking although I do occasionally like to mix it up. Just my personal opinion. I'm not trying to say everyone will agree, just giving my opinion.

Gold Tier
Firing Range: Classic map. My favorite in the game. Can play long and short in certain places and has great sightlines. Simple and easy to remember. Great job. Small but the right kind of small. I've actually had decent sniping games on it. Perfectly designed COD map.

Grid: I like Grid. At first its a bit confusing and it seems rather small-ish but I've found there are actually some decent opportunities to use mid range stuff. And even some of the buildings have sort of longish hallways which allow a little more variety of gunplay than you realize at first.

Silver Tier
Radiation: is kinda of a deceiving map to me because at first it seems kind of big but the more I play it the more I realize it tends to play smaller than it actually is. It's also pretty easy to flank each side via underground or side passages so its a pretty chaotic map. It tends to be camperish but I don't mean that in a bad way as people tend to know where people are going to be. It's just a matter of kicking them out but you at least have a few ways of flanking them to do so which isn't always the case on some maps.

Summit: For me this is the sort of the simple smallish maps that I enjoy if you're going to do this sort of map. It's very tight with very little room to maneuver so I tend to do very well with smg's and shotguns. Simple but I like it because it has structure.

WMD: At first I found this one a bit confusing but now that I get it, I enjoy it. Good medium sized map. Some decent opportunities to get some distance kills. Nothing really exceptional about it, but it gets the job done.

Havana:Non-exceptional but solid map. A big mainstreet with buildings on either side provide pretty decent sight lines. Lots of opportunities to cross over and flank inside the buildings.

Array: Not a perfect map. I think that center building is a bit too dominant and closed off and non exposed for my tastes but the only true fully fledged long distance and potential sniping map in the game that actually satisfies the conditions for what a big map should be. That alone makes it unique and worthwhile among black ops.

Villa: Good map. I'd like it if it was a little more open though where you could see across more of it and the buildings had more vulnerability. The main big house can often turn annoyingly camperish. There seems to be a lot of wasted space at the back of the map where very little combat seems to occur.

Bronze Tier
Hanoi: People seem to hate this one. I don't hate it as much as others but I understand why its not liked. Lots of building. Lots of camping. Often the bad kind of camping. The layout is initially very confusing. It's dark which adds to the camping aspecting. Like I said I don't dislike it as much as others and I actually tend to play it well but that's because I tend to play to its strengths and camp buildings and kill people who enter or shoot them as I look out of windows.

Cracked: People seem to like this map but I'm in the slight minority who doesn't really care for it that much. Probably because it fits my pet peeve of being a bigish map that surprisingly plays very well with non long distance weapons. Don't get me wrong there are some good sniping spots on the map. I'm just surprised at how much better I often do running around with smgs and. I think its harder than I expect to do long distance on this map because of how its constructed because the middle area that exists cuts down on sightlines and is sometimes dangerous to enter because you can killed from either side. It's sort of like if in COD 4 bloc map there was another building in the middle between the other two buildings. It would make it a bit more annoying than it should be.

I have problems with Tier:
Nuke Town: It's fine for Wager Matches or Free for all but anything else I can stand it for. I wish it was removed from any normal sized playlist. I always hate the insanely tiny map they always toss into a COD game unless its like for team tactical 4 on 4 or something.

Jungle : I don't like this map. And I generally like long distance maps but this map is just funky or something. It was very confusing originally to wrap my head around which I didn't like. For a big map it defeats the purpose often because you can't see a lot of things in some spaces because of the elevation and how its built. There is a lot of not needed geometry in the back with the ruins and such. For a big map I just don't like it. I also don't like how to cross over to one side it funnels into a tiny choke point on one far side.

Launch: Probably just a personal taste thing but I don't like this one. I thought I would after playing it originally but I just don't. It's another biggish map but like a lot of biggish maps in Black Ops it doesn't actually play like a biggish map. Because of the elevation changes in the middle its actually hard to play it with distance because you can be flanked so easily and the height change makes it difficult to see people who are out in front of you. I don't know. Perhaps if I just adapted my play style I could appreciate it for what it is, but if you are going to design a big map, why not design it where sniping and long distance weapons actually really have an advantage.

Crisis: Different map same song. A biggish map that tends to play smaller than it is because of all the geometry. There are potentially really cool parts but the way the map is designed they rarely come into play. The beach can be crazy annoying if a lazy team just decides to camp back there and you have to route them out because they have the advantage with elevated sight positions.

So that's it on my opinions. For map packs I would hope they keep sightlines first and foremost in their design and reduce some of the overall geometry clutter that a lot of the maps have. I love maps where there are areas where you can rise above and get a great view of the area. That doesn't mean sniper only maps. Those elevated positions can have real risk and fear of being exposed. But they should at least exist. If they are going to concentrate on smallish and medium sized maps, make them maps that have the potential to play longer than they initially look like firing range. Design for the full toolkit of weapons.

RSTEIN said:
It has been established as fact that those who think WaW maps > BLOPS maps are wrong.
Revolution, Breach, Seelow (the Search and Destroy version), Outskirts, Battery, and Upheaval and maybe Knee Deep are all better than BO maps (well a few BO maps beat Knee Deep), in my opinion.

I really only played HC Search and Destroy in WaW, and been playing mostly HC S&D in BO.

Some good points on the maps Stoney. Figured I'd chip in..

It feels like in COD games there has to be a natural map where everyone uses Ghillies. MW had Overgrown and MW2 had Wasteland - BO has Jungle. It just brings out that side in people I guess. I have had some really good fire fights by the huts, but it feels like the spawns flip whenever you go through this area. I'm literally talking spawning, walking through the arch and getting shot from behind by 6 guys. The High point on the rocks might have been a little nicer if there weren't ladders and ledges involved. It's way to easy to camp up there with a few guys and cover most of the map. Hanoi also tends to bring out the worst in people. Lots of baked on shadows for people to hide in which can lead to a false sense of comfort :)lol). I genuinely like Array, however there is one blind spot near the lower entrance to the tower that completely blacks out a character which leads to a few annoying deaths.

Radiation is a low tier map for me personally. It's a MW2 map - just too much from too many angles and elevated positions, in addition to a few too many 'dark spots' for my liking. I get the feeling it would play a lot better if they just plugged a few holes. Cracked almost has the same problem but it's narrow enough for it not to make much of an impact.

I'm a fan of Crisis because you tend to get some good skirmishes in the house. You're right about the beach though - if someone gets comfy there the other team are in for a tough time. I've definitely had more problems with the areas behind the sniper spots though. Often I've been killed by guys waiting behind the vehicles down there. If they cut that out (I know they can't) it might play a little tighter. Also - spawning in the line of sight of the elevated position above the tunnel is stupid.

luoapp

WMD is the best map for me so far. Long range/elevated fire and short range/local skirmish are weaved together nicely. Clear flanking routes. Several decent sniping positions, but not too dominating.

Still haven't got the hang of the Grid yet. It feels most of the firefight happened inside two buildings. No one goes into the empty space at the back, kinda wasted. The rest of the open space forms a "T" shape, which means very restricted line-of-sight.

jedimike

I've been enjoying all of the maps and don't really have any favorites or any maps I just don't like. I guess Hanoi would be my least favorite, but I still like playing it.

stoney mason said:
Map impressions

I'll just comment on the maps you had problems with...

Crisis - I really like this map and it seems to fit the description of your desired future maps. I love the elevation points. You can be on the roof of the house, the tower in the back or several points on the beach.

Jungle - I like most of the map but will agree that the ruins in the back are largely wasted. There's also a really bad spawn point back there that will put you in the line of fire. I usually avoid the huts on this map and work the small trail on the side.

Launch - I love this map even though I probably get my lowest K'D's on the map. The elevated track in the middle creates a great challenge. The only problem I have with the map is that spawn swapping seems to happen too much. The geometry, elevation, paths, chokes, and corners are perfect. If you haven't tried it, climb up on the cart type thing on the train tracks. You won't last long up there, but it is always good for a few kills. Great, great , great designed map! The rocket launch is also too distracting.

Nuketown - I don't take it too serious. Sometimes I just hang back and wait for the spawn swap. Instead of rushing around with shotties and smg's, I usually take the G11 and get the longest view I can find. I also bring scavenger pro and my crossbow. I get quite a few kills throwing random grenades and random bow shots.

cuevas said:
You have awful tastes in maps. Sorry. Go look a few paged back for the best cod maps.

Lucky for me then that you've done a good job in the last few pages to give me reason never to take your opinion into account on anything. :lol Aren't you the SAME guy who admitted he barely played WaW?

No COD maps can hold a candle to Outskirts and Seelow.

In terms of BO, not many of the maps resonate with me like WaW, but I don't hate any of them either. I love Grid, Hanoi, WMD and Firing Range. The rest are just average but playable.

How can one think Villa is not open enough? A stage doesn't have to be as open as Derailed or Wasteland.

But i do agree that this game has far too many small sages.. They shouldn't have cut the polygon count just to allow for 3D support.

RSTEIN said:
It has been established as fact that those who think WaW maps > BLOPS maps are wrong.

Not only wrong - they must be borderline insane! :lol

My big problem with the WaW maps was just how big a lot of them where - the BO maps range from aweful to brilliant, but I would still rather take my chances on BO than play WaW

bobs99 ... said:
Not only wrong - they must be borderline insane! :lol

My big problem with the WaW maps was just how big a lot of them where - the BO maps range from aweful to brilliant, but I would still rather take my chances on BO than play WaW
Maybe that's why a lot of people like them? I mean the bigger maps for Search you can tackle them in so many ways, it becomes almost sandbox-like. The smaller (many BO) maps you run for a bit and you're already...there. LW/M/AK74 users can rush into your spawn so quick any become up behind you all before you know it.

3ur4zn said:
Lucky for me then that you've done a good job in the last few pages to give me reason never to take your opinion into account on anything. :lol Aren't you the SAME guy who admitted he barely played WaW?

No COD maps can hold a candle to Outskirts and Seelow.

In terms of BO, not many of the maps resonate with me like WaW, but I don't hate any of them either. I love Grid, Hanoi, WMD and Firing Range. The rest are just average but playable.
Less than a day in WaW is barely anything compared to what I've put in the other cod games.

You love Hanoi. You don't know good maps.

cuevas said:
Less than a day in WaW is barely anything compared to what I've put in the other cod games.

You'd have to be a grade A moron to argue a single day playtime is enough to get a full understanding of the maps, especially the sprawling, intricate Outskirts and Seelow. Your opinion on WaW is thus void.

You love Hanoi. You don't know good maps.

Firstly, when did I say it was a good map? I simply said I loved playing it. Why? Because I rape on it, and I enjoy the nighttime setting, the creepy atmosphere, the sprawling outskirts and the level of detail. I could almost agree that it's probably a poorly designed map from a "flow" perspective, and it tends to spread out the action too far, creating multiple dead zones, but I still love playing it.

Once again, your hyperbolic, condescending style has brought you undone.

3ur4zn said:
You'd have to be a grade A moron to argue a single day playtime is enough to get a full understanding of the maps, especially the sprawling, intricate Outskirts and Seelow. Your opinion on WaW is thus void.

Firstly, when did I say it was a good map? I simply said I loved playing it. Why? Because I rape on it, and I enjoy the nighttime setting, the creepy atmosphere, the sprawling outskirts and the level of detail. I could almost agree that it's probably a poorly designed map from a "flow" perspective, and it tends to spread out the action too far, creating multiple dead zones, but I still love playing it.

Once again, your hyperbolic, condescending style has brought you undone.
You are seriously trying to argue that you need more than 24 hours played in a game to be able to tell of it's good? These aren't complex puzzles we're playing in.

Hanoi is a bad map for every gametype. You probably rape on it for the same reason that terrible people vote for it, they can hide in a dark corner and kill people that walk by.

lionheart1847 said:
Haha yes, hacker pro is on all of my classes pretty much. I love getting multi booby trapped package kills. :lol

I have played over 500 games and I saw someone die from a booby trap for the first time yesterday. Hacker is good but I'm not sure if pro is worth getting if you are going to prestige.

cuevas said:
I have played over 500 games and I saw someone die from a booby trap for the first time yesterday. Hacker is good but I'm not sure if pro is worth getting if you are going to prestige.

The beauty with Hacker Pro is you don't really need to work for it.

tsigo

divisionbyzorro said:
Yep!

Theoretically, Hardline Pro is also really easy to get, but I never use packages, so I still don't have Hardline Pro at P1L50. :lol

And if you don't use Care Package there's no reason to get Pro anyway, so that's nice.

tsigo

The rooms on some of these maps that have only one entrance are pissing me off more and more. That two-story building near the A flag on Radiation with the double window that you can only get to by running up stairs. People can just camp in there with impunity. There's plenty of room to avoid grenades, and multiple places to hide if you get flashed or stunned.

Same thing with the "fancy" room overlooking the B flag on Havana. MW2 kept these kinds of areas to a minimum, and that's why I prefer IW maps. Outside of the map packs (didn't buy them), the only one I can even think of is the metal circular platform on Underpass, and there you were completely exposed.

rezuth

cuevas said:
Do people who just go around no scoping really enjoy it? These guys went like 5-20 and all they did was noscope...

Also ran into my first booster in the game..he just put a Guy with tactical insertion and got chopper gunner and Gunship..he got reported though.

Stk deathwish was his gamertag. Trojan man was the Guy getting killed.
I tried some "quickscoping" for shits and giggles. It took a few matches but the I got in a flow. Although I'm sure its counted as proper sniping. It's a fun way to break up from serious play time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1vb8b4SgoQ&sns=em

I'm sure people who noscope feels the sane way, just something to do for fun.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Holy Crap what happened to CoD PS3? :eek: Seems like online has gotten worse since launch. :/ Back in the case for a month to see if things fix themself.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
backflip10019 said:
My GT is backflip10019. I'm pretty good, been holding around a 2.0 K/D. Friend me/let me know if you guys ever want to play.
I'll hit you up when I have the time.

GT: E 1 E M E N 7

cuevas said:
You are seriously trying to argue that you need more than 24 hours played in a game to be able to tell of it's good? These aren't complex puzzles we're playing in.

Are you serious? Of course you need more than 24 hours to understand a game, let alone LEARN THE MAPS which was the whole point of this discussion. WaW maps were complex, intricate designs which catered to several different playstyles. There's no way you could exhaust ways to tackle each different map in just 24 hours. No fucking chance in hell. :lol

Hanoi is a bad map for every gametype. You probably rape on it for the same reason that terrible people vote for it, they can hide in a dark corner and kill people that walk by.

Unsurprisingly, incorrect. I'm a Ghost Pro runner, so it gives me the space to flank wide and attack the opposing team from many angles. Also, the spawns are alot better compared to other maps because the game can use the space. Finally, the middle upstairs corridor promotes some fun little firefights.

I don't camp. :lol

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Strider2K99 said:
DLC called First Strike Map Pack has been announced already.

Will post exact info in a minute.

EDIT: Release date is February 1st for Xbox Live for 1200 points.

Includes 4 new multiplayer maps, they are:

Kowloon
Discovery
Stadium
Berlin Wall

and a 5th zombie map called Ascension.

More details will be incoming in the next several weeks.

Source: Latest Major Nelson podcast
http://majornelson.com/archive/2010...s-dead-money-and-bf-bc2-heads-to-vietnam.aspx

Eh, not really interested, with Bulletstorm in Feb, and Brink in April I'll just stick with Halo until then. BO didn't even hold my interest as long as MW2 did even though it's the better game.

3ur4zn said:
Are you serious? Of course you need more than 24 hours to understand a game, let alone LEARN THE MAPS which was the whole point of this discussion. WaW maps were complex, intricate designs which catered to several different playstyles. There's no way you could exhaust ways to tackle each different map in just 24 hours. No fucking chance in hell. :lol
Do you have a learning disability or something? Pretty much every map I disliked in the first week of getting the game I still dislike. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to recognize a bad map.

The only exception is Villa - I like it for domination but it's garbage for everything else.

You enjoy Hanoi. That says it all.

cuevas said:
Do you have a learning disability or something? Pretty much every map I disliked in the first week of getting the game I still dislike. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to recognize a bad map.

The only exception is Villa - I like it for domination but it's garbage for everything else.

You enjoy Hanoi. That says it all.

I gotta hand it to you: I'm incredibly impressed that you've managed to avoid junior jokes throughout this tiresome argument you two have been having. :lol

Alienshogun said:
Eh, not really interested, with Bulletstorm in Feb, and Brink in April I'll just stick with Halo until then. BO didn't even hold my interest as long as MW2 did even though it's the better game.

CoD fatigue? I think it's getting to me too (but only a little bit).

On the plus side, I managed to shave 6 games off of my win-loss differential, and I've continued to maintain my 2.0 K/D. I now stand at -46 lifetime. One game at a time...

And I got my first booby-trapped care package kill tonight! :lol I didn't realize that the booby trap lasts even after you die. Does anyone know what the max lifetime of a booby-trapped care package is?

Strider2K99 said:
DLC called First Strike Map Pack has been announced already.

Will post exact info in a minute.

EDIT: Release date is February 1st for Xbox Live for 1200 points.

Includes 4 new multiplayer maps, they are:

Kowloon
Discovery
Stadium
Berlin Wall

and a 5th zombie map called Ascension.

More details will be incoming in the next several weeks.

Source: Latest Major Nelson podcast
http://majornelson.com/archive/2010...s-dead-money-and-bf-bc2-heads-to-vietnam.aspx

Nice. I assume the days of free map packs on the PC CoDs are over, so I'm prepared to take it in the ass. Shame there's no WaW remakes (would have loved that), but 4 original maps sounds even better. Stadium already sounds big; hope it's the biggest BO map yet.

PC/PS3/Wii: 2 weeks after Xbox?

Top Bottom