• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

AnEternalEnigma said:
What if the guy who got downed killed the guy who put him down?

If it looks safe and isn't an popular and/or coverless area (like the cliff on Array or the village in jungle) and I am not on the other side of the map, then I can revive, but the thing is that 95% of time its a hotspot, which is the absolute worst place to be for a rush flanker.

bolbronx

Brian Fellows said:
I revive people if I can.

Thanks. I like you.

I remember playing on Nuketown, and this guy revived me. Then i wrote "Thank you", and was all appreciative about it. My new best friend, i thought. Nice.

Then the fucker stole my Carepackage, and i was all like:"Stop that shit! I was gonna re-roll that! AAAARRRGGHHH, asshat!"

It's a fine line..

I will only ever revive someone if they're kind enough to scoot themselves backwards into a safe position. But if you got killed in the middle of an open area and haven't bothered to move, I can't be bothered to expose myself to revive you.

And am I the only guy who loves dropping second chance losers with tactical grenades? Easy way to take him out without exposing yourself.

divisionbyzorro said:
I will only ever revive someone if they're kind enough to scoot themselves backwards into a safe position. But if you got killed in the middle of an open area and haven't bothered to move, I can't be bothered to expose myself to revive you.

And am I the only guy who loves dropping second chance losers with tactical grenades? Easy way to take him out without exposing yourself.

If 100% of your weapons have a suppressor you won't be exposing yourself :D

The few times that I have used second chance I have ended up getting killed with a tac more often than not. I think that's a pretty common practice.

Hyunkel6

Last week, 2-3 of my random teammates rushed to revive me. Then, an enemy RC car came into the room and took us all out. I felt terrible. I haven't used the perk since. :lol

dLMN8R said:
What do you think is more helpful for your team? Ignoring an extra gun that could help your entire team survive? Or actually helping him so he can contribute, and maybe send a quick Steam/XBL/chat message after the fact telling him that other perks might be more helpful in the future?

God, people like you are why playing public multiplayer games suck fucking shit.
Obviously last stand pro users can't win gunfights so why should I ever revive them? If they are good players they would never have done enough to get the pro version.

If I ever tried to tell someone how to play over xbl what do you think the response would be? I'm used to carrying terrible players to annihilation victory so I don't bother.

Sitting in an XBL party since Cod4 and loving it.

cuevas said:
Obviously last stand pro users can't win gunfights so why should I ever revive them? If they are good players they would never have done enough to get the pro version.

I'm sure you never die either. :lol

I don't condone second chance (the only perk I haven't even bought), but trolling teammates isn't on my list of positive attributes either.

divisionbyzorro said:
I'm sure you never die either. :lol

I don't condone second chance (the only perk I haven't even bought), but trolling teammates isn't on my list of positive attributes either.

I am not trolling them, I am just giving them time to witness my greatness while on their backs.

But seriously, since cod4 on XBL I have given up expecting anything out of teammates. I just don't pay attention to them and if I have a couple people in my XBL party I play everything like its 3v6. If they are behind you expect to get shot from behind because they won't kill the enemy.

cuevas said:
Obviously last stand pro users can't win gunfights so why should I ever revive them?

Nice logic, you moron. :lol

I'll revive second chance user's if I am fairly certain there's no risk. I don't see SCP any less cheap than other perks.

What's your win/loss ratio Cuevas?

People go into Second Chance at the brink of death, no? Not when they've actually died. It's just the second of invicibility and the dropping to the ground in hopes of losing the enemies' crosshairs that they like.

So if they would rather be in Second Chance I'd rather let them enjoy it versus giving someone a double kill while I revive them. I have to choose when to place equipment or reload carefully, reviving you isn't as important to me and you probably could have still been alive to run around if you chose a different fucking perk.

3ur4zn said:
Nice logic, you moron. :lol

I'll revive second chance user's if I am fairly certain there's no risk. I don't see SCP any less cheap than other perks.

What's your win/loss ratio Cuevas?
Its only shitty because I back out to join my friends and shitty connections that lag out. Also getting put into those 7000-2000 games doesn't help. :lol

jonnybryce said:
People go into Second Chance at the brink of death, no? Not when they've actually died. It's just the second of invicibility and the dropping to the ground in hopes of losing the enemies' crosshairs that they like.

So if they would rather be in Second Chance I'd rather let them enjoy it versus giving someone a double kill while I revive them. I have to choose when to place equipment or reload carefully, reviving you isn't as important to me and you probably could have still been alive to run around if you chose a different fucking perk.

Not quite. Second Chance is a tad more complex than it first appears:

• You go into Second Chance once you take 100 points of damage. Normally you die when you take 100 points of damage.
  • Your bullets are still "active" as you fall into Second Chance. Normally your bullets immediately become inactive when you die (this is the game's way of preventing two players from killing each other).
  • You have a single (1) point of damage once you've finished falling into Second Chance; you're invulnerable as you fall. The flash from a flashbang, concussion, or smoke grenade each do a single point of damage. A direct impact from a frag or semtex does a single point of damage.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
My name is RSTEIN and I'm a Second Chance Pro User. My main build is Ghost Pro/Sleight of Hand Pro/Second Chance Pro.

Why?

Well, first lets look at my other options.

1) Ninja. I love Ninja. I have a build that swaps in Ninja. The problem is that I'll never get Ninja Pro so it makes me depressed.

2) Tactical Mask. Nah. Not really stunned a whole lot nor do I encounter gas frequently.

3) Marathon. My play style doesn't revolve around running. I'm more of a mid range guy.

4) Hacker. So cool but come on... how many care packages are you going to really booby trap?

So really it's not a matter of Second Chance being amazing but the other options just don't appeal to me. I will probably get revived at twice during a game. Those two revives keep my killstreak going. Plus I'll get one maybe two kills while on the ground. For me, Second Chance just dominates the other perks.

divisionbyzorro said:

• You go into Second Chance once you take 100 points of damage. Normally you die when you take 100 points of damage.
  • Your bullets are still "active" as you fall into Second Chance. Normally your bullets immediately become inactive when you die (this is the game's way of preventing two players from killing each other).
  • You have a single (1) point of damage once you've finished falling into Second Chance; you're invulnerable as you fall. The flash from a flashbang, concussion, or smoke grenade each do a single point of damage. A direct impact from a frag or semtex does a single point of damage.

:lol Now I hate it even more!

It is fun to kill SC guys my sticking them on impact or throwing a weak tact grenade. Dying from a concussion? That's embarrassing.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Yeah.....

I'm going to continue to put a bullet in the head of every teammate laying on the ground I see and save the other team the trouble of having to deal with bullshit game design.

I mean get some fucking respect already.

yoopoo

Banned
WTF did 99% of the people playing suddenly decided to use the AK47u? Every time I die and see that gun the the kill cam I seriously get pissed...these days I'm so happy when my death doesn't occur with the 47u.

Stallion Free said:
I'm going to continue to put a bullet in the head of every teammate laying on the ground I see and save the other team the trouble of having to deal with bullshit game design.

Very noble of you. I don't throw around the word "hero" very often but.....

dLMN8R

TestOfTide said:
I can't because I'm busy rushing the team with a shotgun which requires stealth, which requires I not go near people that have already been targeted.

Reviving you isn't nearly as helpful as successfully flanking 1 or 2 guys from behind and getting around 20 kills per game.

It's not that I'm ignoring him, it's that I know I can't defend myself when I revive someone specifically because of my primary weapon. If I revive you in the middle of a hot spot, which it is if you got into last stand there, then I'm more likely to just get killed before or right after I revive you, and then you get killed anyway because you were in said hot spot.
Obviously I'm not suggesting that you revive someone when there's an iota of a chance that enemies will be around. But when your spy plane is up, there's 5 of your own team hanging around the body that needs revival, taking literally 1 second to revive someone isn't exactly the riskiest move.

luoapp

dLMN8R said:
Obviously I'm not suggesting that you revive someone when there's an iota of a chance that enemies will be around. But when your spy plane is up, there's 5 of your own team hanging around the body that needs revival, taking literally 1 second to revive someone isn't exactly the riskiest move.

Ghost pro sniper cat says hi!

sniper_cat.jpg

bolbronx

RSTEIN said:
My name is RSTEIN and I'm a Second Chance Pro User. My main build is Ghost Pro/Sleight of Hand Pro/Second Chance Pro.

Why?

1) Ninja. I love Ninja. I have a build that swaps in Ninja. The problem is that I'll never get Ninja Pro so it makes me depressed.

2) Tactical Mask. Nah. Not really stunned a whole lot nor do I encounter gas frequently.

3) Marathon. My play style doesn't revolve around running. I'm more of a mid range guy.

4) Hacker. So cool but come on... how many care packages are you going to really booby trap?

So really it's not a matter of Second Chance being amazing but the other options just don't appeal to me. I will probably get revived at twice during a game. Those two revives keep my killstreak going. Plus I'll get one maybe two kills while on the ground. For me, Second Chance just dominates the other perks.

Come to think of it, i only use SC-pro because i don't find the other perks that useful. I have one class where i use Marathon, but thats about it. And i'll never get pro in marathon, cause it involves CTF (am I remembering this right?). And i hate CTF

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
RSTEIN said:

Ninja Pro was a lot easier to get than I thought it was going to be. It took me about 7 matches of Demolition to get my 10 plants.

Brian Fellows said:
Ninja Pro was a lot easier to get than I thought it was going to be. It took me about 7 matches of Demolition to get my 10 plants.

For me it's the shooting shit down, I don't want to sit there looking at the sky waiting for a lock-on. Boring.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
cuevas said:
For me it's the shooting shit down, I don't want to sit there looking at the sky waiting for a lock-on. Boring.

That also doesn't take long if you play Barebones classic because everyone is locked into spyplanes. I was shooting down 6 or 7 a match this time around. Now I just need to knife a sentry.

RSTEIN

cuevas said:

Shooting stuff down seems like a lot of work but it's not. Just wait until you hear their spy plane go up or see the counter spy plane screwing up your radar. I mean, you should be aware of that anyways in normal play. Locking on a spy plane takes like 4 seconds. Kill a couple spy planes/counter spy planes/helicopter every other match and you'll have 30 very quickly.

Brian Fellows said:
Now I just need to knife a sentry.

This on the other hand can be a bitch.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Stallion Free said:
Yeah.....

I mean get some fucking respect already.

Don't you get kicked for team killing now?

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
RSTEIN said:
This on the other hand can be a bitch.

If it's giving anyone serious trouble, run sentry gun, and throw the care package into enemy territory. Run Hacker so you can see where they put it down. Profit.

Has worked on 3 different prestiges where Ghost pro was giving me a problem.

cameltoe

LeMaximilian said:
If it's giving anyone serious trouble, run sentry gun, and throw the care package into enemy territory. Run Hacker so you can see where they put it down. Profit.

Or just play CTF.

RSTEIN

LeMaximilian said:

Your cunning and mischeviousness gets me sexually aroused.

If you don't have Ghost Pro yet, keep playing until you get Nuketown. Make sure you have the Sentry Gun selected as a killstreak. Hardline and Hacker are necessary. Tier 2 perk doesn't matter. When you get the Sentry, throw it right in the middle of the map between the school bus and the moving truck. Hide behind the hummer and wait for someone to pick it up. Since it's Nuketown, people are likely to just put it down somewhere in the middle. Kill the dude who put it down, run up and knife it. Easy.

MrDaravon

RSTEIN said:

Why?

I 100% agree with this. If I'm running a SMG class or something I'll run Marathon, otherwise I'll run Second Chance just because nothing else appeals to me.

Maffis

Just played on Nuketown. A dude in our team got downed into second chance in a corner in the house with the single bed. Anyways, another guy in our team decided to revive him in that corner, but afterwards he blocked him from coming out. He kept on screaming in the mic, telling him to thank him or he would never revive him again. The guy that was downed finally gave in and wrote "Thank You" in the chat, and he was let free from the corner.

Shit's hilarious.

bolbronx said:
Come to think of it, i only use SC-pro because i don't find the other perks that useful. I have one class where i use Marathon, but thats about it. And i'll never get pro in marathon, cause it involves CTF (am I remembering this right?). And i hate CTF

I can't play without hacker. I don't like running Flak because Ghost is such a better perk for staying alive and killing people imo, so to avoid claymores (that everybody have) I need hacker. Don't you die alot from claymores without hacker/flak?

KiKaL

divisionbyzorro said:

Aren't your bullets "active" no matter what? I've killed someone and had them kill plenty of times.

RSTEIN said:

Why?

The regular version sucks (only protects you from nova gas), but the pro version protects you from tactical grenades AND tells you what direction from the grenade a stunned/gassed/flashed player is.

Hacker lets you see enemy explosives. That not only helps prevent you from being killed by claymores, but also gives you an idea of where an enemy is hiding.

LeMaximilian said:

And don't forget to use a jammer on the sentry.

cuevas said:
That's for ghost and just remember that spy planes count as air support.

KiKaL said:
Aren't your bullets "active" no matter what? I've killed someone and had them kill plenty of times.
Unless it's gun vs. grenade launcher/rocket, nope. Gun-on-gun NEVER results in two dead in Call of Duty games.

RJNavarrete said:
Unless it's gun vs. grenade launcher/rocket, nope. Gun-on-gun NEVER results in two dead in Call of Duty games.

Correct. Bullets deactivate on death, but everything else stays around until you respawn (grenades, claymores, etc). That's why if you die in the process of throwing a grenade, you should always wait a few second to respawn instead of mashing on the X button - just in case. :lol

TestOfTide said:
And don't forget to use a jammer on the sentry.

Or just toss a flash grenade!

Accidentus

Neo Member
divisionbyzorro said:
Correct. Bullets deactivate on death, but everything else stays around until you respawn (grenades, claymores, etc). That's why if you die in the process of throwing a grenade, you should always wait a few second to respawn instead of mashing on the X button - just in case.
Also do this if you think the guy who just killed you could possibly walk into your claymore after you die. Claymores don't disappear until you hit X to respawn again.

luoapp

Accidentus said:
Also do this if you think the guy who just killed you could possibly walk into your claymore after you die. Claymores don't disappear until you hit X to respawn again.

Good. So everyone struggles with less than 1 k/d, should use claymore and wait till it's blown up. I bet it will add 0.3 k/d easily.

Stantron

divisionbyzorro said:
Correct. Bullets deactivate on death, but everything else stays around until you respawn (grenades, claymores, etc). That's why if you die in the process of throwing a grenade, you should always wait a few second to respawn instead of mashing on the X button - just in case. :lol
I wonder why they always choose to do this design. Maybe because the connectivity issues are bad enough that double deaths would occur too often, thus less kill streaks occurring, thus less overall fun. But it seems it would only make the game more fair for those with the host/lag disadvantage. *shrug*

eek5

Stantron said:
I wonder why they always choose to do this design. Maybe because the connectivity issues are bad enough that double deaths would occur too often, thus less kill streaks occurring, thus less overall fun. But it seems it would only make the game more fair for those with the host/lag disadvantage. *shrug*

It's because there are no bullets. It's all done with hitscan so there is no bullet travel time or anything like that. When you use this system then that means that after someone is dead they can no longer shoot because they are dead so there are no bullets to deactivate..

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Question for the general audience in this thread.

As per the discussion of getting host and the game dropping frames and going into slow-mo like crazy, what 360 console do you own?

I'm partial to believe it's a system performance issue. Does this ever happen to anyone who is playing Black Ops on a 360 Slim?

LeMaximilian said:

As per the discussion of getting host and the game dropping frames and going into slow-mo like crazy, what 360 console do you own?

I'm partial to believe it's a system performance issue. Does this ever happen to anyone who is playing Black Ops on a 360 Slim?

It happens to me pretty regularly, depending upon the map (Cracked, for some reason, is particularly bad). I have a mid-gen, 20 GB 360.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
LeMaximilian said:

I have a slim and get problems like that. Although I don't think I ever pull host.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
LeMaximilian said:

It's happened to me a few times — it's particularly bad on Launch. I have a 120GB Jasper Elite.

AcciDante

LeMaximilian said:

I've noticed it on my slim :/

GeekyDad

So, basically it comes down to: "Real men don't use Second Chance"?

Oh, the dudebros. :lol

Honestly, if they put it in the game, it was obviously to offer diversity. I still don't get why this perk pinches the ball sacks of so many players. The arrogance, though, to suggest that using it is somehow unsporting-like or whatever. The CoD community needs a collective cold shower.

Once the other perks unlock, I go right for something else. But I could definitely see myself using it in the future when there's a need to mix things up. It's like saying you never use intel heroes in DotA. Whatever...

tsigo

LeMaximilian said:

Happened on my old launch-era 20GB refurb (from Microsoft) and still happens on my brand new Slim 4GB. I'll have a 250GB drive later this week to see if that does anything.

AcciDante said:
I've noticed it on my slim :/
I have the slim as well but I only notice the lag during napalm strikes if I have host. I have it installed.

GeekyDad said:
So, basically it comes down to: "Real men don't use Second Chance"?
TBH I don't like most of the stuff in modern games, Killstreaks and perks are for noobs. If you cant peak around corners to get kills and need a blip on your map to know where they are or need an insta-gib killstreak to get kills you suck.

Top Bottom