• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Thanks for the info guys. Look like it's really fault of the games netcode/performance and not that of the hardware. Unfortunate it's not something we can personally address and just have to deal with it.

dLMN8R

GeekyDad said:
So, basically it comes down to: "Real men don't use Second Chance"?

Oh, the dudebros. :lol

Honestly, if they put it in the game, it was obviously to offer diversity. I still don't get why this perk pinches the ball sacks of so many players. The arrogance, though, to suggest that using it is somehow unsporting-like or whatever. The CoD community needs a collective cold shower.

Once the other perks unlock, I go right for something else. But I could definitely see myself using it in the future when there's a need to mix things up. It's like saying you never use intel heroes in DotA. Whatever...
They're just the usual butthurt whiny bitches of the internet. Like I said, I don't use Second Chance anymore, but not because it was useless, and certainly not because I got pissed that some people didn't revive me (the vast majority of time they did). It's a very useful perk, and I've killed plenty of people with it.

At the same time, I've almost never, ever gotten killed by it. It's extremely obvious when someone is using it, and it's extremely easy to kill them before they have a chance to get some shots off. I'm truly astounded, really, that I was ever as successful using it as I am.

tsigo

LeMaximilian said:
Thanks for the info guys. Look like it's really fault of the games netcode/performance and not that of the hardware. Unfortunate it's not something we can personally address and just have to deal with it.

I don't have it installed. Maybe there's something to that?

GeekyDad said:
So, basically it comes down to: "Real men don't use Second Chance"?

Oh, the dudebros. :lol

Honestly, if they put it in the game, it was obviously to offer diversity. I still don't get why this perk pinches the ball sacks of so many players. The arrogance, though, to suggest that using it is somehow unsporting-like or whatever. The CoD community needs a collective cold shower.

Once the other perks unlock, I go right for something else. But I could definitely see myself using it in the future when there's a need to mix things up. It's like saying you never use intel heroes in DotA. Whatever...

My only problem with it is the short period of invincibility. I'm hating that, not the people that use it.

cuevas said:
Its only shitty because I back out to join my friends and shitty connections that lag out. Also getting put into those 7000-2000 games doesn't help. :lol

Yeah, that's what I thought. :D

Anyway, can we put this Second Chance Pro debate to bed? I think it's pretty clear to everyone that aside from a few whiners, consensus is the perk has as much merit as any other.

dLMN8R

Yes, there's an infinitesimal spat of invincibility, but during that time, they can't shoot at you either. If you down someone using SC and you don't finish them off before they get a chance to fire at you, you basically deserve to lose that battle.

My only problem with Second Chance is really its effect on snipers and shotguns. If I OHKO you from across the map and you drop behind cover only to get revived, that's broken design. If I fire two Olympia shots at you, dealing 150%+ of the required hit points, and you get an automatic dropshot on me and kill me because I only have two rounds, that's broken design.

I'll revive randoms if they're in safe cover. I'll revive friends if they're in open area and I feel safe. Otherwise, drag your ass to me. You've got 30 seconds.

Edit: Oh, and you shouldn't be able to knife me as you're falling.

3ur4zn said:
Anyway, can we put this Second Chance Pro debate to bed? I think it's pretty clear to everyone that aside from a few whiners, consensus is the perk has as much merit as any other.

Nope, sorry. "Consensus" doesn't mean "What 3ur4zn believes." :lol

Second Chance Pro is fine in theory, but has side effects (specifically regarding bullet deactivation) which make it frustrating to deal with. It changes the balance of a gunfight without giving the opponent any indication that they're going to encounter it. It's a perk which hurts the enemy more than it helps you, and in fact is one of the worst green tier perks (unless you absolutely suck at the game and desperately need the added help to stay alive a split second longer to eke out an extra kill here or there).

If bullet deactivation still occurred as you dropped into Second Chance, I would have zero problem with it. That's why you're finding it useful; the bullets that normally wouldn't have hit your target are given the chance to hit because you're not "dead" yet. Which is bullshit from the perspective of the person you're fighting

And personally, I think that if you think Second Chance Pro helps you out more than Ninja Pro, Hacker Pro, or even Tactical Mask Pro, you're totally delusional. Each of the other perks is defensive and helps keep you fighting. Second Chance Pro might help you win one extra gunfight, but you're also still going to die unless your teammates decide to help you out (and when you eventually die, your death will contribute to your killer's current streak, even if he's died since he dropped you into Second Chance).

Yeah, Last Stand/Second Chance are terrible perks for terrible players. Don't know why people are trying to argue otherwise. To reap the perk's benefits you have to die. Why not choose a perk that helps you stay alive instead?

Hell, if I used Last Stand (which I don't, since I'm actually good at the game), I would only have the chance to use it once or twice in a typical team deathmatch. Ninja or Sitrep Pro, on the otherhand, are useful all the time, not just when I die. It's the same reason why I don't use UAVs or Counter-UAVs. I'm always on a twenty kill killstreak or something. Might as well pick something that rewards me (and my team) for my hard work.

If you're expecting to die more than you get kills, then by all means use Last Stand. I don't have Black Ops, but if I did I sure as hell wouldn't revive Second Chance teammates. You died, deal with it. I'm not here to babysit you. I'm desperately trying to win the match while you and three other teammates are going 4-14. It's not so much a battle against the enemy as it is a battle against my own team.

tsigo

Is there some trick to getting clips to render? It worked a while ago but every time I've tried in the last two weeks it plays the clip, starts to upload then immediately stops and says it was uploaded successfully.

X26

Banned
I have no problem with 2nd chance users, it rarely ever works out anyways. Don't use it myself since I find it's a waste of a slot, also when I've played with it I just felt slowed down, same reason I don't use the RC-XD

divisionbyzorro said:
Nope, sorry. "Consensus" doesn't mean "What 3ur4zn believes." :lol

Second Chance Pro is fine in theory, but has side effects (specifically regarding bullet deactivation) which make it frustrating to deal with. It changes the balance of a gunfight without giving the opponent any indication that they're going to encounter it. It's a perk which hurts the enemy more than it helps you, and in fact is one of the worst green tier perks (unless you absolutely suck at the game and desperately need the added help to stay alive a split second longer to eke out an extra kill here or there).

If bullet deactivation still occurred as you dropped into Second Chance, I would have zero problem with it. That's why you're finding it useful; the bullets that normally wouldn't have hit your target are given the chance to hit because you're not "dead" yet. Which is bullshit from the perspective of the person you're fighting

And personally, I think that if you think Second Chance Pro helps you out more than Ninja Pro, Hacker Pro, or even Tactical Mask Pro, you're totally delusional. Each of the other perks is defensive and helps keep you fighting. Second Chance Pro might help you win one extra gunfight, but you're also still going to die unless your teammates decide to help you out (and when you eventually die, your death will contribute to your killer's current streak, even if he's died since he dropped you into Second Chance).
They should have given tier 3 some physical appearances as well. Tac mask a Gas Mask, Hacker some typical Nam-movie-nerd glasses, Ninja and Marathon are obvious and Second Chance something so you know you're facing them, like a party hat or dunce hat (kidding). I think some different shades of clothes or different shaped hit markers would help a ton.

3ur4zn said:
Yeah, that's what I thought. :D

It's still above 4, I haven't been on today because I've been playing other games but if you want to dissect my combat record send me a friend request and ill accept it via xbox.com

I love this game, but it's so janky. I'm behind some sandbags on the second floor of the building in Firing Range that overlooks the level. The building on one side of the level that has steps leading up to it. Not the building that has a car on the bottom floor. The building in C3.

So I'm picking people off. One, two, three, spy plane. All of a sudden, somewhere, a car explodes, and I go rag-doll flying out of the building. A bigger blast than if I were standing next to a car. And, worse, there wasn't a car remotely close to me. I see the icon: "Someone CAR Me." But that's it. Nothing touched me.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
A new patch..........

Patch 1.05 releases at 2AM PST on 12/22. This patch is part of a series of ongoing improvements to online connectivity which will be continued over the next few weeks. Treyarch is dedicated to ensuring the best gaming experience for the fans, and we’ve been actively working with you to continue to improve the game based on your feedback. As always, keep the feedback coming through the community forums.

NEW FIXES

12/22 (full patch 1.05)
* • Improved party reliability when leaving with party – an additional step in an ongoing series of party improvements continued in the next patch
* • Improved UPnP functionality – further expands the game’s capability to open NATs on routers with universal plug and play enabled
* • Enabled mute functionality in Playercards in the pre-game lobby
* • Enabled kick functionality in party and private match lobbies
* • Addressed an issue where the pre-game lobby would not always display properly when multiple players leave the lobby after a team split
* • Addressed an issue where the pre-game lobby would appear stuck on the countdown timer while waiting to balance teams

And stuff they are still working on.

IN PROGRESS:

* • Addressing a freeze that would occur in rare situations involving a combination of high player counts and many killstreaks / explosions occurring simultaneously in a concentrated area
* • Further improvements to party reliability to address an issue where mixed NAT types connecting and disconnecting can cause players to drop in some situations
* • Investigating “infinite loading screen” issue reported by some users

rinse82

Please fix the fucking "Waiting for Players" screen freeze issue.

Without fail, it always happens when I'm on a 3-4 game roll, such a buzzkill to have to reset the PS3/game. More often than not I just end my gaming session at that point.

Maffis

And give PC players a way to stop the server browser from filling up thousands of servers. Can't click shit until it's done refreshing :/

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
divisionbyzorro said:

My experience is Second Chance is better than those other perks. You say the other perks "helps keep you fighting." Well, that is the very definition of Second Chance. You get knocked to the ground, revived, and you keep fighting. The very point of the game (I only play TDM) is to get more kills than deaths. I get knocked down, kill the other guy, then get revived. That's me playing to the objective of the game. Staying alive while killing the other guy.

Marathon, Hacker, and Ninja are all great. I don't run around. I don't really sneak up on people. I don't run into claymores. So I use Second Chance. I don't really know how one can say that this is "totally delusional."

Jack Scofield said:
Yeah, Last Stand/Second Chance are terrible perks for terrible players. Don't know why people are trying to argue otherwise. To reap the perk's benefits you have to die. Why not choose a perk that helps you stay alive instead?
Well, I'm not terrible and I use Second Chance so there goes your theory. On the other hand, I'm not amazing. My k/d is near 2.0 (only play TDM) so I'm not in the god teir of ~3 kdr.

Jack Scofield said:
It's the same reason why I don't use UAVs or Counter-UAVs. I'm always on a twenty kill killstreak or something. Might as well pick something that rewards me (and my team) for my hard work.
That's an interesting way to look at... something I can't agree with whatseover. In my mind UAV is the best perk in the game not only for yourself but your entire team. What's better than revealing the location of the enemy? If I could I'd run UAV in every killstreak slot!

Jack Scofield said:
I don't have Black Ops, but if I did I sure as hell wouldn't revive Second Chance teammates.
But the whole point of the game is to get more kills than the other team. If you don't revive someone (with the caveat that there's no immediate danger) then you're doing something that leads directly to the other team winning.

divisionbyzorro said:
That's why if you die in the process of throwing a grenade, you should always wait a few second to respawn instead of mashing on the X button - just in case. :lol

I....had no idea. Thank you. This netted me a triple kill last night.

Maffis

divisionbyzorro said:
A SAM turret will take down a Valkyrie? As if the Valkyrie wasn't the worst KS reward in the game already... :lol

:lol Awesome!

Valkyries should be 5 or 6 kills. Maybe even 4 but only 1 rocket that is hell of alot easier to steer.

Maffis said:
Valkyries should be 5 or 6 kills. Maybe even 4 but only 1 rocket that is hell of alot easier to steer.
For sure, I always will be mad if I go to reroll a care package and wind up with Valkyries...it's like a punishment. Takes forever to use, I feel exposed and I'm lucky if I can even get one kill with the darn things.

Not to mention that it's actually a package to call in to begin with leaving you out of the action for even longer. Not that I like using the RC cars either, but that's only 3 kills and you are back in action a lot quicker!

Stantron

For all the trouble of getting the Valkyrie rockets from a care package, then pulling yourself out the game to control them, the damn splash damage needs to be a lot bigger. Like the explosion from a predator strike in MW2. I've landed those things maybe 6 feet off a non-Flak Jacket user, no dice. There's not much incentive to use them IMO when the higher killstreaks are much better, and for just one or two more kills.

On a side note, crawling to and capturing a domination flag all by yourself while in second chance and in the midst of your own smoke frag... pretty damn awesome.

My new emblem and clan tag. Harmless yet irritating :lol

IMAGE_078.jpg

X26

Banned
speaking of weak KS, mortar strike is pathetic. I'll sometimes use it in domination, but even if you concentrate all three shots into a small area where you know guys are, you're lucky to get a kill

Think I average less than half a kill per mortar strike

dLMN8R said:
:lol big talkers up in here! :lol
The last page or so has really shown me how much of a noob I am.

- I use killstreaks, perks and look at the mini-map. Noob!
- I don't constantly move, sometimes I stop in strategic areas where I have the advantage. Noob!
- I don't hit a 20 killstreak every time, so I selfishly always have UAV enabled even when I'm trying to get Hardline Pro for instance. Noob!

I don't use second chance ever though, so perhaps I'm at least saved on that one. :lol

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
BigBlue1974 said:
The last page or so has really shown me how much of a noob I am.

- I use killstreaks, perks and look at the mini-map. Noob!
- I don't constantly move, sometimes I stop in strategic areas where I have the advantage. Noob!
- I don't hit a 20 killstreak every time, so I selfishly always have UAV enabled even when I'm trying to get Hardline Pro for instance. Noob!

I don't use second chance ever though, so perhaps I'm at least saved on that one. :lol

We are one in the same.

I must be the only one who likes Valkyries. One time my buddy and I both had them on Search and both javelin'd half their team at the start of the round. :lol

The patch seemed to fix some of the issues. I only played a couple of matches but they went through fine, host migration worked and they ran pretty smooth. Still had some lag issues that made the kill cam completely different from what happened on my screen, but at least I was able to finish the match.

I did notice people abusing explosives more in the couple of matches I played, did they upgrade them or something.

LeMaximilian said:
We are one in the same.
You caught my reference to complaints about your videos....now if only my k/d and win/loss was anywhere close to what you have! I love those videos you post though, very informative and definitely not even close to what I consider "camping" at all. To me camping is someone who sits in some ridiculous spot and gets his cheap kill. He'll usually stay there and wind up being an easy kill for me the next go round. If you are in an area and people are coming at you, why on earth would you go out of your way to leave good cover and increase your chances of getting killed.

tsigo

Looking at a minimap or hearing a sound and sitting in a corner strategically waiting for a person you see/hear to come through is not camping. Sitting in a corner hoping someone comes by is fucking camping. On a killcam they can look the same.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
BigBlue1974 said:
You caught my reference to complaints about your videos....now if only my k/d and win/loss was anywhere close to what you have! I love those videos you post though, very informative and definitely not even close to what I consider "camping" at all. To me camping is someone who sits in some ridiculous spot and gets his cheap kill. He'll usually stay there and wind up being an easy kill for me the next go round. If you are in an area and people are coming at you, why on earth would you go out of your way to leave good cover and increase your chances of getting killed.

The act of judging someones overall skill in COD games is primarily limited to online videos/montages/360 no scopes/and amazing commentary. As to most, K/D and W/L don't mean much to the average user, which makes the whole COD shooting experience very interesting to identify who's good and who's not.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Been a slow week for videos it seems. Might toss one up later today from one of my most hated maps, Radiation.

fuck that, mo' jungle!

LeMaximilian said:
The act of judging someones overall skill in COD games is primarily limited to online videos/montages/360 no scopes/and amazing commentary. As to most, K/D and W/L don't mean much to the average user, which makes the whole COD shooting experience very interesting to identify who's good and who's not.
If you want to play with the best go to the PC and join one of the pay to play leagues and try to get on a team. Yeah being good is easier on consoles get over it.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
cuevas said:
If you want to play with the best go to the PC and join one of the pay to play leagues and try to get on a team. Yeah being good is easier on consoles get over it.

I'm really not sure what this has to do with anything.

Top Bottom