• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

So after 2.5 days of playtime, I'm about 90% ready to sell this and MW2 and be done with CoD forever.

This isn't hyperbole; it simply isn't as much fun as it used to be. The lag issues have sucked the joy out of the game for me; I know a lot of people are able to put up great scores on 3-bar connections, but I just don't have the skill level to do that. I feel neutered on a 3-bar; today I saw two entire bursts go right through an enemy who was on the other side of the room without killing him. I even heard the hitmarkers! But no death.

This game has all of the makings of the best CoD ever, but it just lacks polish. I'm sick of waiting 5 minutes for a game and ending up in a match where good play isn't rewarded because your bullets just don't kill.

Anyone else feel this way? Do you think this will wear off? Can you convince me not to jump ship? I'm willing to be convinced; when this game works, it's like a dream. But it feels like it only works right for me about 50% of the time. Are the highs worth the infuriating lows?

Convince me, GAF! Stop me from doing something I will might regret!

Lyonaz

divisionbyzorro said:
So after 2.5 days of playtime, I'm about 90% ready to sell this and MW2 and be done with CoD forever.

This isn't hyperbole; it simply isn't as much fun as it used to be. The lag issues have sucked the joy out of the game for me; I know a lot of people are able to put up great scores on 3-bar connections, but I just don't have the skill level to do that. I feel neutered on a 3-bar; today I saw two entire bursts go right through an enemy who was on the other side of the room without killing him. I even heard the hitmarkers! But no death.

This game has all of the makings of the best CoD ever, but it just lacks polish. I'm sick of waiting 5 minutes for a game and ending up in a match where good play isn't rewarded because your bullets just don't kill.

Anyone else feel this way? Do you think this will wear off? Can you convince me not to jump ship? I'm willing to be convinced; when this game works, it's like a dream. But it feels like it only works right for me about 50% of the time. Are the highs worth the infuriating lows?

Play Bad Company 2 (Vietnam) for a while. Just try a different shooter and come back later to COD.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Swear off console Call of Duty. Play it on it's birth place, the PC. Even the one P2P game in the series on PC rarely had lag issues. Maybe 1 out of 20 games I would get lag in MW2. Balck Ops is back to dedicated servers and I haven't hit a single bit of lag. It feels damn good sticking to New Jersey servers (the closest server center to where I live/my Mass homies are) and we rarely have pings over 50-60.

nomoment

Lyonaz said:
Play Bad Company 2 (Vietnam) for a while. Just try a different shooter and come back later to COD.
Good advice.

division: Certain aspects of the game are still pretty broken right now (matchmaking, lag, disconnects). It's a shame that an otherwise very good game is hampered by such fundamental issues. I'd come back in about a month or two to see if these issues are patched. I'm confident they will be.

iNvid02

i dont find this game fun at all anymore which is strange. Took MW2 about 6-8 months to have that effect, guess im slowly getting over COD. Hope the next one is better

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
iNvidious01 said:
i dont find this game fun at all anymore which is strange. Took MW2 about 6-8 months to have that effect, guess im slowly getting over COD. Hope the next one is better

yeah, I need me some new maps.

X26

Banned
divisionbyzorro said:

If I had those kinds of constant connection issues I'd have gotten rid of it long ago, I get mad enough even witout having to constantly worry about lag

I've peaked myself as far as playtime goes, I mean I still enjoy it but naturally you're going to begin playing less and less as time goes on. Then again I consider around an hour a day playing "less":lol

luoapp

RSTEIN said:
yeah, I need me some new maps.

Have you tried new loadouts? I am usually a run and gun player, but now I am loving my m16 long range sniper game. It really let me play from a different angle, and keep finding new spots I will never pay attention to before. Some maps play like completely new.

cameltoe

here is a video of my issue i have with the PC version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvwZXVpVO7s

q6600
4870 1gb
4gb ram
win 7 32bt
asus xonar dx

When ever anyone calls in a heli of any sort my frames drop to 5-6...they return to normal after 10 sec or so.

Ive tried every setting possible. All drivers up to date, windows up to date...disabled sound...blah blah...same shit.

Gianny

Today I was playing Zombies in a party and my connection was always 1 bar, then went to TDM and again it was 1 bar. I would unload a clip on someone and wouldn't die, Lag was horrible on my end.

In this situation do you think it was my router? I have PS3, DVR whole home, 4 Laptops, VoIP. Is a Netgear G.

eek5

welcometocallofduty.jpg

lol... :/

FerranMG

Guys, I got the game a couple of days ago and just started playing online yesterday.

I had a lot of connection problems: unbearable lag, match disconnections... It even fucking signed me out of Live!

Is this happening for anyone else?

divisionbyzorro said:

I'm on Wii, and we're still awaiting a fix that supposedly will help with host and client lag as well as fixing the spawns. I'm going to start and finish Donkey Kong Country, and hopefully that fix will be in when I return.

TacticalFox88 said:
Am I the only one who like Chopper Gunner in BO better than MW2? Glad I can actually SEE rather than fire at red dots.

It's at the very least more balanced (excluding on nuketown). I don't have too much trouble taking down a chopper gunner.

Barnzini

Neo Member
Lyonaz said:

I have been trying a few different shooters just to spice things up and i keep coming back to this game. I regret buying BC2 Vietnam as it is fairly laggy for me here in Australia and i'm not a huge fan of the new maps. MAG has had a ton of patches but it just can't get back into it...

Anyhooo, Been stuffing around with Tomahawks lately...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfhxbJGCs2w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi7nKjh4G4U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC6v_1p13tI

divisionbyzorro said:

Why not just keep the games and play them if you have the urge to? Are you strapped for cash?

VALKYRAY

Banned
divisionbyzorro said:

LOL, even one of the biggest black ops fanboy wanna sell black ops.
you need to sell it ASAP, shit like black ops will get cheap fast. just look back at the other games developed by treyarch.

divisionbyzorro said:

I would say just stay off any multi shooter for awhile. Play some new games(single player) where the urge to get pissed off and aggravated go away for awhile. Come back to CoD after a couple of weeks of not playing.

There was a time when MW2 was out where I just got sick of the BS in MW2 and stopped playing for at least 3 weeks. I came back fresh and it was fun again. After a few weeks, the aggravation came back and I stopped again. I found that constant playing can get to me and then it just gets me aggravated. Surprisingly, this game hasn't been pissing me off as much as MW2(yet), I'm usually doing pretty well for the most part, but that could change very soon and I may put it down for awhile. I got New Vegas and Assassins Creed Brotherhood for xmas so my time is being put to that for now.

The main problem with me in Black Ops isnt frustration like a lot of people have, but its boredom. The system of earning titles and emblems like in MW2 is completely removed. I have no desire to look at the challenges list and there is nothing really to look forward to since I can just buy anything I want. In MW2, after the initial wave of fun wore off, I started trying to earn titles and emblems for using different types of equipment, classes, etc. Now its like, there isnt much of a benefit at all, so I just go through the same motions over and over again now.

Try some single player games and relax!

snap0212

divisionbyzorro said:
This game has all of the makings of the best CoD ever, but it just lacks polish.
I think that's the main problem this game has. No one can deny the fact that Treyarch released a partly broken game (especially on the PS3, I can't talk about the PC version). I mentioned it in another Thread, but Treyarch just showed us that you can't count on the quality of Call of Duty-Games anymore. While Infinity Wards made some not-too-good decision (that were perfectly executed) that made me not like Modern Warfare 2 anymore, Treyarch just were not even able to execute their ideas properly.

I personally went back to Bad Company 2 and Modern Warfare 2 for my fps needs. I haven't sold the game, because I'll wait until the Maps come out and the Treyarch-DLC-Bug appears so I can get a full refund. :p

Lionheart1827 said:
The main problem with me in Black Ops isnt frustration like a lot of people have, but its boredom. The system of earning titles and emblems like in MW2 is completely removed. I have no desire to look at the challenges list and there is nothing really to look forward to since I can just buy anything I want. In MW2, after the initial wave of fun wore off, I started trying to earn titles and emblems for using different types of equipment, classes, etc. Now its like, there isnt much of a benefit at all, so I just go through the same motions over and over again now.

I totally agree. The moment I stopped prestiging I realized just how little there is to do in this game other than repeatedly prestige. I'm currently grinding through the pro perks (only need Flak Jacket, Hardline, Lightweight, Steady Aim, and Marathon
fuck Second Chance - I haven't even bought it
), but once that's done, it's all about grinding the game for CoD points to get the rest of the stuff. I really do miss the challenge system from MW2; even if you didn't want to prestige, there was still a shitload of stuff to aim for other than just "can I keep finding enough noobs to increase my K/D."

COD is all just one big grind, and if you're lucky you have some fun on your way. Prestiging in Treyarch COD's are PAINFUL. The early weapons suck and they look ugly as hell. Hell, most of the weapons in the game look ugly especially with the Red Dot On.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Treyarch definitely did do a shit job of picking weapons. MW2 had very few weapons that I thought looked ugly, but BLOPs has like the 5 that I like.

Also, if COD is just a grind for you guys, I suggest playing only when buddies can play with. The only times I boot up MW2/BLOPs are when I am playing with at least one other buddy.

NIN90

I dunno how I played CoD2 for 2000 hours total! There wasn't a carot on a stick AT ALL!!
To be fair, post-CoD2 games lack in the core gameplay department imo.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Just bought this today with my holiday money and I have to say for the first time I can remember I'm experiencing buyer's remorse already. Jumped in for some MP and was shocked at the quality of the visuals, this is one of the few games I've ever played where I think it's ugly right off the bat (usually don't care about graphics that much).

Only got 5 games or so of multi in but that old feeling of being outclassed by better weapons and not knowing wtf was happening was an unwelcome return. What I did also notice right away is that the maps seem a lot busier than they used to, so much more debris and clutter to distract you. The visuals seem blurry enough already, I don't think the game really needs even more things flying about.

The single player is a bit hit and miss so far too, the Bay of Pigs level glitched out on me which caused a lot of frustration until I wised up and restarted the level. There is also a disconnect in the SP that's not there in MP, where it doesn't feel as if your bullets are hitting. I know it's a strabge complaint but the MP has such great feedback to let you know you're hitting whereas in the SP it feels as if the enemies are made of paper, it's not particularly fun to hit them. In mp the bullet hit and crosshair effects are added, not sure why this can't be in SP too, it does feel weird without it.

In all, after three hours of playing I'm feeling like I should have bought Assassin's Creed instead... ho hum.

Ok, I have a serious question and it's been bothering me.

How long have enemy names and planes been blue and enemy names been orange??
Don't tell me I have hit level 50 twice and didn't notice..:lol

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Game2Death said:

The color on your screen is off. It's green and red.

Game2Death said:

It's only blue/orange if you have a certain setting turned on (I can't remember exactly what it's called.) It's an alternative for colour-blind people.

Alienshogun said:
The color on your screen is off. It's green and red.
I am pretty sure it's orange and blue. There is read and green elsewhere. Like the score.

buy teh haloz said:
It's only blue/orange if you have a certain setting turned on (I can't remember exactly what it's called.) It's an alternative for colour-blind people.

Oh, I had people over and someone must have changed it. Thanks. :lol

kuYuri

Another PR showing how big Black Ops has gotten.

http://investor.activision.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=538851

SANTA MONICA, Calif., Dec. 24, 2010 /PRNewswire/ -- In addition to surpassing the $1 billion sales milestone in just six weeks, Treyarch's Call of Duty®: Black Ops™ from Activision Publishing (Nasdaq: ATVI) is also setting online usage records that illustrate how the game has become one of the leading global entertainment experiences of all time.

Indicators such as social media, time spent online playing and retail sell through of Call of Duty: Black Ops are just a few of the signs pointing to an online phenomenon that took hold with the game's debut last month. The number of registered players exceeds the populations of such countries as Austria, Belgium, Chile, Greece, Ireland, Portugal, Sweden and The Netherlands -- suggesting that the $1 billion sell through mark only at the level of dedication that players worldwide have for the game.

The total number of registered Call of Duty: Black Ops players:

* Is greater than the audiences that watched Jay Leno, David Letterman, Jimmy Fallon, Jimmy Kimmel, Conan O'Brien and Craig Ferguson in the U.S. for the entire week of December 6, 2010, combined.
* Exceeds the audience for the series finale of ABC's Lost.
* Trumps the average viewership for the 2010 Major League Baseball World Series.
* Exceeds the combined audited circulation numbers for Entertainment Weekly, Rolling Stone, Playboy, GQ, Maxim, Newsweek, Time, ESPN The Magazine and Sports Illustrated.
* Would be the third largest state in the U.S.

Since its launch on November 9, Call of Duty: Black Ops players:

* Have played more than 600 million hours, or the equivalent of more than 68,000 years.
* Have turned out in numbers that could fill the 83 largest stadiums in the world, every day.
* Have spent an average of 87 minutes per day playing online, exceeding the 55 minute average that the average user spends on Facebook.
* Have made Call of Duty: Black Ops a top-five trending topic on Twitter, putting it on par with The Grammy Awards, Diego Maradona, The Chilean Miner's Rescue, The Boston Celtics and Mel Gibson.

Nizz

Strider2K99 said:
Damn, a lot of people really like COD!

I've flirted with the idea of trading the game in to Amazon, but I'll hold onto it for a bit. It's happened with games before, I'll trade it in then a couple of months later I'll wish I had it and end up picking it up again.

I really hate how the PS3 version turned out. My nephew has a 360 and they got him a copy of Black Ops for Christmas. He brought his 360 over with him and played while I watched. Damn, it's almost night and day the differences in performance.

He played a couple of matches on Firing Range, one of the worst offenders framerate wise on PS3. Match ran smoothly, which made me even more pissed at the PS3 version.

Stantron

OK, time to ramble off a few things...

Attack chopper is in the air, I fire off an RPG rocket, rocket passes through the chopper's rotating blades. Really? So those don't count as a hit box?

Guy is posting behind one of those white non-explosive barrels, I shoot at the barrel with my HK21 AND the Hardened perk equipped. No hit marker at all, none. Also, some of the metal see-through mesh that are used as material for the cat walk sections (like the WMD map) is apparently unpenetrable.

Is it just me, or does the indicator for Napalm Strike not correspond perfectly to where the strike actually lands on the map? A few times, I put it well outside of the range I'm located, and pointing away from me, yet still.... "mistakes were made." :/

X26

Banned
My napalm strikes mess up sometimes, but that's because I find targetting it a bit awkward, my thumb will often shift at the last second and fuck up the strike

As for meshes, I've killed plenty of people through the catwalks on wmd and other maps, could have been lag

CaramaC said:
so Santa bought my 14 y/o son one of those hd pvr devices, here's one of his first efforts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wPc0tq_5l0

needs more linkin park or drowning pool, but other than that thumbs up to him

I assume most PC players turn off V-sync in this ? I didnt realise they had it on by default, and thought "wtf have treyarch done to the mouse aim, sluggish", turned that off and bam, just as slick as MW2 and beasting up the servers again.

And what the hell, third time asking, can theater mode be viewed with friends at the same time like on the 360 version ?

RSTEIN

Ogs said:
I assume most PC players turn off V-sync in this ? I didnt realise they had it on by default, and thought "wtf have treyarch done to the mouse aim, sluggish", turned that off and bam, just as slick as MW2 and beasting up the servers again.

And what the hell, third time asking, can theater mode be viewed with friends at the same time like on the 360 version ?

edit, nm, read your question wrong. I don't know, sorry.

Effect said:
Wow. That really shows how broken the matching system in this game really is. :(

There is absolutely zero skill-based matchmaking in this game. It's a deliberate design choice. Skill-based matchmaking would make it take longer to find games, but I think the real reason is that they love the free advertising they get from all of the YouTube commentators. If there was skill-based matchmaking, those guys wouldn't be able to put up the videos that they do.

Stantron said:
Is it just me, or does the indicator for Napalm Strike not correspond perfectly to where the strike actually lands on the map? A few times, I put it well outside of the range I'm located, and pointing away from me, yet still.... "mistakes were made." :/

Not just you; it happens to me too. The unpredictability of the Napalm Strike is one of the reasons why I've stopped using it on a regular basis.

TheFatOne

Is anyone else having NAT issues? For some reason it says I have a strict connection now even though I am NAT 2. It sucks because I can no longer play online with my friends. The game used to work before the patch, and now I can't get ride of my strict connection regardless of what I try. Anyone have any suggestions?

RSTEIN

divisionbyzorro said:
There is absolutely zero skill-based matchmaking in this game. It's a deliberate design choice. Skill-based matchmaking would make it take longer to find games, but I think the real reason is that they love the free advertising they get from all of the YouTube commentators. If there was skill-based matchmaking, those guys wouldn't be able to put up the videos that they do.
Yeah but there isn't even an attempt to balance the lobbies. It's fine to not have skill based match making but once everyone is in the lobby you'd think it would be easy for the game to say to itself "hmm, it's probably not a good idea that all the people with 2.0 k/ds are on the same team." Why are all the prestige guys on the same team vs. Christmas noobs? It doesn't even make sense. Just split them up evenly.

jedimike

Stantron said:
Guy is posting behind one of those white non-explosive barrels, I shoot at the barrel with my HK21 AND the Hardened perk equipped. No hit marker at all, none. Also, some of the metal see-through mesh that are used as material for the cat walk sections (like the WMD map) is apparently unpenetrable.

:/

Much like the "banana palms" on the roof of Favela in MW2, there are some awkward impenetrables in Black ops. Railings seems to have some issues. On Crisis, you can't shoot through the deck railings on the main house. In fact, there is a dark corner there that is a haven for campers. In addition, you can't shoot through the deck railing in Hanoi above the open courtyard.

Oddly enough, shooting through railings in Nuketown work just fine. There are probably other materials (like the barrels you mentioned) that should be penetrable but aren't.

jedimike

Lionheart1827 said:

Totally agree... I have defended Black Ops A LOT for what Treyarch has fixed in actual gameplay, but they missed the boat here. Although I love the custom emblems, I very much miss unlocking the titles and banners. I also stopped prestiging and feel bored at times that I'm not unlocking things. I use contracts to give me progression goals, but unfortunately there's no payoff for the contracts since I don't need money or points.

ScrubJay

Stantron said:
OK, time to ramble off a few things...

Fun Story : Last night in Havana I was in one of the buildings at the end of the big street, placed a napalm strike on the opposite side of the map into the enemies spawn. I went outside... the strike comes down on my head and I am the only casualty.

Top Bottom