• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
ScrubJay said:
Fun Story : Last night in Havana I was in one of the buildings at the end of the big street, placed a napalm strike on the opposite side of the map into the enemies spawn. I went outside... the strike comes down on my head and I am the only casualty.

ScrubJay Mistakes were made.

I know this is might be a non-issue to you guys, but I REALLY hate the way the suppressors sound in this game. (Yeah, I know COD non-real, etc). There are very few rifles TODAY that sound that quiet let alone in the 1960s. It really bothers me. I mean even the Assault Rifles sound like pea shooters.

luoapp

TacticalFox88 said:
I know this is might be a non-issue to you guys, but I REALLY hate the way the suppressors sound in this game. (Yeah, I know COD non-real, etc). There are very few rifles TODAY that sound that quiet let alone in the 1960s. It really bothers me. I mean even the Assault Rifles sound like pea shooters.

Me too. Guns should sound quiet when suppressed, but still need to "pack a punch".

TacticalFox88 said:
I feel the exact opposite. The sound is pretty much the only thing Treyarch got right with this game. Suppressors sounded way too loud in the previous CoD iterations. I feel that they did a pretty nice job this time around with the silencer sound.

ScrubJay

TacticalFox88 said:

The main thing that bothers me is that it sounds like there's two sound effects for suppressed weapons and they're spread throughout all the guns in the game. I may be remembering wrong but in MW2 every gun had a unique sound silenced and unsilenced.

yoopoo

Banned
They've got one sound effect for the weapons explosions too. And another one for environment explosions.

The sound team needs to be replaced.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Yeah, the sound in general in this game is absolutely terrible. Luckily you'd don't notice it too much after a while.

TheFatOne

Did Treyarch mess something up for PS3 users? I am reading about some users like myself who have had problems playing after the 1.04 patch. It seems like they screwed something up, and now I am forever stuck with a strict connection until they fix this issue. Anyone else having this problem?

And did I mention this games guns are ugly? Seriously who the hell thought putting these:
830px-G11BO.jpg

830px-StakeoutBO.jpg

830px-EnfieldBO.jpg

830px-OlympiaBO.jpg

830px-CommandoBO.jpg

Please fire the Weapon designer treyarch. Seriously.

TacticalFox88 said:
And did I mention this games guns are ugly? Seriously who the hell thought putting these:

Are you kidding? You have my three favorites on there (Commando, Olympia, Stakeout). Those guns look awesome!

I got Black Ops for christmas, and Im loving the MP so far. 2 questions though:

1) Is there an option to mute everybody at once? Halo had this feature, and I find it really handy. I dislike hearing anybody when I play.

2)Is there a 'noob-friendly' class layout I can use? I dont really know what perks are considered useful, and what are garbage. I was using Ninja for awhile, but I never melee people so I dont know if I should use it.

divisionbyzorro said:
Are you kidding? You have my three favorites on there (Commando, Olympia, Stakeout). Those guns look awesome!
I'm talking about pure looks. The guns are extremely useful, but just look ugly and unpolished to me.

ScrubJay

MattPeters said:
I got Black Ops for christmas, and Im loving the MP so far. 2 questions though:

1) Is there an option to mute everybody at once? Halo had this feature, and I find it really handy. I dislike hearing anybody when I play.

2)Is there a 'noob-friendly' class layout I can use? I dont really know what perks are considered useful, and what are garbage. I was using Ninja for awhile, but I never melee people so I dont know if I should use it.

Ninja is useless in this game, Hacker is by far the best green perk.

Most of my layouts are Ghost, Sleight of Hand, and Hacker with an assault rifle with dual mags. Dual mags give you additional ammo on top of every odd reload being super fast. You can't go wrong with dual mags on any gun. I also use Flak jacket on objective games and when teams are running RC cars.

What level are you? You have alot more freedom after level 20 or so, by then you'll have accumulated enough cash to experiment with guns and equipment to find out what fits you.

ScrubJay said:
Ninja is useless in this game, Hacker is by far the best green perk.

Most of my layouts are Ghost, Sleight of Hand, and Hacker with an assault rifle with dual mags. Dual mags give you additional ammo on top of every odd reload being super fast. You can't go wrong with dual mags on any gun. I also use Flak jacket on objective games and when teams are running RC cars.

What level are you? You have alot more freedom after level 20 or so, by then you'll have accumulated enough cash to experiment with guns and equipment to find out what fits you.

Awesome, thanks. I just hit lvl23 earlier today. I have lots of cash in the bank since I rarely buy anything.

Mileena

Banned
What's wrong with the Commando? It looks so much better than the hideous M4 from MW2.

ScrubJay said:
Ninja is useless in this game
lol

You must not play Search and Destroy. Ninja pro is also amazing and a must use for people who use headphones.

ScrubJay

MattPeters said:
Awesome, thanks. I just hit lvl23 earlier today. I have lots of cash in the bank since I rarely buy anything.

You have access to two of the best weapons in the game in the Galil and AK74u. I like using the Galil with a suppressor and Warlording the AK74u with rapid fire and grip (along with 85% of the population of this game apparently). You also get access to the AUG which is my most used weapon all around.

TacticalFox88 said:

GTFO. All those look awesome except the G11.

corkscrewblow said:
What's wrong with the Commando? It looks so much better than the hideous M4 from MW2.

lol

You must not play Search and Destroy. Ninja pro is also amazing and a must use for people who use headphones.

YES! We need more sound whores please! Free kills for my Claymores. :D

ScrubJay said:
You have access to two of the best weapons in the game in the Galil and AK74u. I like using the Galil with a suppressor and Warlording the AK74u with rapid fire and grip (along with 85% of the population of this game apparently). You also get access to the AUG which is my most used weapon all around.

I actually bought it as soon as it unlocked. I really like it so far

Have to agree. Weapons looks pretty rad IMHO. Especially love the strap accents as you don't see them in ...well really any FPS's period. Nice artistic touch even if it's impractical/unrealistic.

It's fun!

Effect

RSTEIN said:
Yeah but there isn't even an attempt to balance the lobbies. It's fine to not have skill based match making but once everyone is in the lobby you'd think it would be easy for the game to say to itself "hmm, it's probably not a good idea that all the people with 2.0 k/ds are on the same team." Why are all the prestige guys on the same team vs. Christmas noobs? It doesn't even make sense. Just split them up evenly.

It's one side being prestiged and the other not that is really screwed up there. No matching to get the lobby populated is one thing. Once people are gathered they should be able to even the teams better though.

What I don't get is that there is a prestige bracket right to search for matches that is unlocked when you prestige for the very first time? Why aren't those people that are prestige playing in that? Isn't there a reason for it to exist or do they simply look for easy kills by knowing they'll be matched with lower ranked players that don't play as much as them?

TacticalFox88 said:
I'm talking about pure looks. The guns are extremely useful, but just look ugly and unpolished to me.

So was I. They look totally awesome. I think the gun designs in this game are excellent across the board.

MarkMclovin said:
They really need to tweak the AK74u down.

I'd actually argue that they need to tweak the other SMGs up. The AK74u and the MP5 are the only SMGs worth even considering. The others can be useful at times, but only with Extended Mags and Scavenger (which means you can't use Lightweight). As it stands now, if they tweaked the 74u down, there'd be almost no reason to use SMGs at all.

U2NUMB

MattPeters said:

Any game that I dont have friends on but also do not want to hear randoms I plug in my headset and create a party (assuming you are on the 360) and then you can sit your headset down. You never hear any randoms.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Ogs said:
I assume most PC players turn off V-sync in this ? I didnt realise they had it on by default, and thought "wtf have treyarch done to the mouse aim, sluggish", turned that off and bam, just as slick as MW2 and beasting up the servers again.
Yeah, I stay as far away as possible from all manners of v-sync/triple-buffering on Call of Duty games.

RSTEIN

Dax01 said:
Anybody have any tips on how to be a better player? How to get killstreaks more often, etc.

What's your current set up?

I run the following:

Weapon: Galil + supressor (IMO the best assault rifle--perhaps weapon--in the game)

Perks:
Ghost Pro
Sleight of Hand Pro
Last Stand Pro (Don't listen to GAF, great for Team Deathmatch)

For perks it really depends on you play the game. There is no right or wrong answer. Do you like to run and gun? Well then you may want Lightweight/Steady Aim/Marathon. I consider myself a tactical, mid range player. A Gaffer I play with likes to run around with a suppressed shotgun. I could never do that but it works great for him.

As far as playing the game, IMO it's really all about managing the spawn locations. Get to know where the enemies spawn. It's a fairly dynamic spawn system but it's easy to get a feel for where the enemy will spawn. Look how your team is spread out around the map and then find the 'hole' and more often or not that's where the enemy is located. If you just run out to the middle you're going to get killed. Lock down the enemy at key choke points.

Take Jungle, for example. A key spawn area is the ruins beside the village (where one team spawns at the start of the match) . If you're in the village, you can control this spawn point fairly easily. There are two arches that the enemy has to go through to get to the village. I can't tell you how many people I've killed just waiting for them to spawn and run to the village. The other day I went 44-4 with two Chopper Gunners just by managing this spawn area. Treat the enemy like cattle and try to herd them into these spawn areas.

Dax01 said:
Anybody have any tips on how to be a better player? How to get killstreaks more often, etc.

First thing is to learn the maps. Know where to go, and from there, try to find out where most of the action tends to take place. Most maps have a few sections where the majority of gunfights take place. Follow team-mates to get aquainted with these areas.

The key to getting killstreaks is knowing where enemies will be and finding the right spot to pick these people off. These are known as 'choke points.' The way spawning works, if you find someone coming towards you chances are one or two other enemies will be right near him. This also means you should find adequete protection, so use cover when needed. Also keep in mind is that the general rule in COD is that if you have a lot of green arrows (teammates) on one side, the enemies will be on the other side. Enemies rarely spawn near your teammates, so try to look into areas that your teammates aren't in and you should find some recently spawned enemies.

Even if you find a great choke point, eventually you will likely be overwhelmed and die, so try to get as many kills as possible before this happens (situational awareness and proactive movement will help keep you alive as well - if you were in a corner and killed an enemy, don't stay in that corner because it's the first place they will look next time and more often than not they'll down you.) Don't camp, but don't run right into danger areas either. Try to stay on the sides - this increases your field of view as well as removing the possibility of being shot/stabbed from behind.

Keep killstreaks low until you become more confident. Spy Plane/Counter Spy Plane(or SAM)/Care Package is an excellent combo - it helps the team and also rewards you with some likely kills. Don't be tempted by the RC. Sure, you might get one kill with it, but you'll probably get 2 or 3 with the spy plane (not to mention the rest of your team). Plus the RC leaves you open to the enemy. I still use the above combo most of the time and I'm on my sixth prestige. If you like, chuck hardline on and in 2 kills you'll have a spy plane.

Use cover. Try to aim down the sights whenever possible except for extreme close-quarters action. Have a pistol as a secondary to whip out when you need to reload but don't have the time. Many maps have cars - throw grenades at these for greater explosions. Position claymores so that enemies run into the lasers, but also so that the lasers can't be seen until it's too late. Don't fire at an enemy if they're about to exit your vision - they'll turn around and you're ikely to die. Tap the trigger at longer distances to reduce recoil. Avoid climbing obstacles if enemies are nearby. Don't put yourself in a gunfight if you're still healing from damage - you'll die instantly.

Use assault rifles first. They're easy to control with little recoil and good range. Once you feel comfortable with something like the Galil or Famas, then feel free to move onto other assaults rifles or SMGs (which lack the range of rifles but have superior close quarters ability).

_Alkaline_ said:
First thing is to learn the maps. Know where to go, and from there, try to find out where most of the action tends to take place. Most maps have a few sections where the majority of gunfights take place. Follow team-mates to get aquainted with these areas.

The key to getting killstreaks is knowing where enemies will be and finding the right spot to pick these people off. These are known as 'choke points.' The way spawning works, if you find someone coming towards you chances are one or two other enemies will be right near him. This also means you should find adequete protection, so use cover when needed. Also keep in mind is that the general rule in COD is that if you have a lot of green arrows (teammates) on one side, the enemies will be on the other side. Enemies rarely spawn near your teammates, so try to look into areas that your teammates aren't in and you should find some recently spawned enemies.

Even if you find a great choke point, eventually you will likely be overwhelmed and die, so try to get as many kills as possible before this happens (situational awareness and proactive movement will help keep you alive as well - if you were in a corner and killed an enemy, don't stay in that corner because it's the first place they will look next time and more often than not they'll down you.) Don't camp, but don't run right into danger areas either. Try to stay on the sides - this increases your field of view as well as removing the possibility of being shot/stabbed from behind.

Keep killstreaks low until you become more confident. Spy Plane/Counter Spy Plane(or SAM)/Care Package is an excellent combo - it helps the team and also rewards you with some likely kills. Don't be tempted by the RC. Sure, you might get one kill with it, but you'll probably get 2 or 3 with the spy plane (not to mention the rest of your team). Plus the RC leaves you open to the enemy. I still use the above combo most of the time and I'm on my sixth prestige. If you like, chuck hardline on and in 2 kills you'll have a spy plane.

Use cover. Try to aim down the sights whenever possible except for extreme close-quarters action. Have a pistol as a secondary to whip out when you need to reload but don't have the time. Many maps have cars - throw grenades at these for greater explosions. Position claymores so that enemies run into the lasers, but also so that the lasers can't be seen until it's too late. Don't fire at an enemy if they're about to exit your vision - they'll turn around and you're ikely to die. Tap the trigger at longer distances to reduce recoil. Avoid climbing obstacles if enemies are nearby. Don't put yourself in a gunfight if you're still healing from damage - you'll die instantly.

Use assault rifles first. They're easy to control with little recoil and good range. Once you feel comfortable with something like the Galil or Famas, then feel free to move onto other assaults rifles or SMGs (which lack the range of rifles but have superior close quarters ability).

Great advice!

uraldix

divisionbyzorro said:
I'd actually argue that they need to tweak the other SMGs up. The AK74u and the MP5 are the only SMGs worth even considering. The others can be useful at times, but only with Extended Mags and Scavenger (which means you can't use Lightweight). As it stands now, if they tweaked the 74u down, there'd be almost no reason to use SMGs at all.

This. The other SMG's just plain suck. If they nerf the AK74u, I will almost never use an SMG.

I have used all of the guns and I like several of the Assault rifles. The AK74u is the only SMG that I feel can hold it's own.

Dax01 said:

Two things that I didn't mentioned that helped me: 1) If your primary is mid-long range, grab a short range weapon off a corse for a secondary (and vice versa) 2) Approach every corner assuming there is something dangerous on the other side.

uraldix

cuevas said:
I love the euphemisms for camping: control an area, waiting, tactical play. :lol :lol

Personally, I see tactical and camping as two different styles. I get killed by both a lot and feel that I am qualified to know :D

RSTEIN

cuevas said:
I love the euphemisms for camping: control an area, waiting, tactical play. :lol :lol

If I thought camping was a good strategy I'd say it. Camping is not an effective strategy in this game.

Why don't you share some of your strategies?

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm currently running with a lot of different set ups, each with different guns and perks. In CoD I never feel like running around with the same type of perks.

Edit: I do have Warlord so I can have a red dot and silencer on my M16 and my Galil. I think I do better when I have a silencer.

TheFatOne

yoopoo said:
I've got an 'open' nat and I'm behind a router.

Open these ports:

TCP
27014-27050

UDP
3478-4380
27000-27030

Doesn't matter what ports I open I am still a strict connection. Nothing seems to work. It all started after the 1.04 patch. At this point I might as well trade the game in because there is no point in keeping the game if I can't play online with my friends.

Top Bottom