• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

yoopoo

Banned
TheFatOne said:
Doesn't matter what ports I open I am still a strict connection. Nothing seems to work. It all started after the 1.04 patch. At this point I might as well trade the game in because there is no point in keeping the game if I can't play online with my friends.
Whats the connection on the console itself? Did you try DMZ yet?

And put a static ip on the console, if you already haven't done so.

TheFatOne

yoopoo said:
Whats the connection on the console itself? Did you try DMZ yet?

And put a static ip on the console, if you already haven't done so.

Tried both of those options already, and no dice. I don't believe the problem is on my end. I have tried everything and nothing has worked. My guess is that the 1.04 patch screwed something up. I have read that the 1.04 patch has created problems for some PS3 users.

Edit: I can play online ok, but the problem is I can't join anyone on my friends list.

Dax01 said:
Anybody have any tips on how to be a better player? How to get killstreaks more often, etc.

1) always take the long route, because most people are still running a bee-line to the enemies. It's how I flank people with the shotgun.

2) spint less unless you are using steady aim pro. Sprinting just adds waiting time between seeing an enemy and shooting at them

3) "bait" the enemy. If you see an enemy coming at you, get a hiding spot, and wait for them. This is another strategy I use with shotgun a lot to trick people into coming into my "killrange".

4) keep in mind of any places where your allies are not, because that is where you will find the enemies

5) find a playstyle that works for you and use the class that goes with it. If you like to run and gun, use a shotty or smg with sleight of hand. If you like to guard an area, use an lmg or sniper with hardened. If you like doing a combination of both, use an AR.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
TestOfTide said:
3) "bait" the enemy. If you see an enemy coming at you, get a hiding spot, and wait for them. This is another strategy I use with shotgun a lot to trick people into coming into my "killrange".

OMG you camper!

cuevas said:
Yeah and just as enjoyable~!!!
Yup, glad we can see each other's perspective.

yoopoo

Banned
I improved my k/d in the last few days by:

Using Famas with extended mags - Also try Stoner with the extended mags. For long range gameplay use M16+ACOG.
Using Sleight of Hand Pro
Using Hacker Pro
Waiting to the enemy to come to you
Increasing the sensitivity to 3 - this helped the most.
Using drop shots
Burst firing at longer ranges
Not sprinting around corners
If not using suppressor then always be on the move after getting a kill.
Opening these port to get the optimal connection, 90% of the time now I have a 4 bar connection

TCP
27014-27050

UDP
3478-4380
27000-27030

X26

Banned
MarkMclovin said:
They really need to tweak the AK74u down.

+ Mortar strike
+ Olympia
+ LMG's

- AK74u
- Galil (love the gun, but it's just too good really)

AK74u is the big one though, there is much more parity in what AR's people use compard to SMG's, which is pretty much AK74u or bust. I like using a bunch of SMG's to keepthigns fresh, but it's clear the AK is the best by far (although my personal favorite in terms of use is the mp5)

divisionbyzorro said:
The Stoner63 and the M60 are already excellent weapons. The other LMGs not so much though.
The HK21 isn't too bad. I think the LMG's should have more ammo by default (except for the M60), because it's a bit ridiculous how they have similar ammo capacity to assault rifles but considerably longer reload times.

X26 said:
+ Mortar strike
+ Olympia
+ LMG's

- AK74u

AK74u is the big one though, there is much more parity in what AR's people use compard to SMG's, which is pretty much AK74u or bust. I like using a bunch of SMG's to keepthigns fresh, but it's clear the AK is the best by far (although my personal favorite in terms of use is the mp5)

Olympia: Increase the spread slightly and make the per-pellet damage exactly like the SPAS-12 in MW2. That way, it's a choice between have power equivalent to the ol' SPAS-12 in MW2, or have a decent reload time and slightly less killing range (due to big spread).

Stakeout: allow it to hold 6 shells. THe range is surprisingly good on the stakeout (not Spas-12MW2 good, but good), you just have to make sure to ADS every time you fire.

Galil: Make the Reload time a second longer and make the damage drop-off to 22 when using a sliencer. In general though, they need to add very small idle sway to ARs.

AK-74u: Add ide sway, make it so that it gets AR hipfire accuracy if it gets a grip, red-dot/reflex sight, dual mags, a silencer, or extended mags.

Other SMGs: make the damage drop-off much more gradual so that it effectively increases the range

Mortar strikes can't be buffed. If they were, they would be overpowered. Mortar strikes are great when you want airstrikes that surround an area on all sides (like the house in Crisis). Plus, napalm strikes can't kill someone with flak jacket pro.

LMGs do not need a buff. You just dont know how to use them. The RPK and HK-21 both have hipfire accuracy that is between an assault rifle and an SMG. The stoner-63 has the highest rate of damage (Uzi bullet rate with 40 damage per bullet), and the M60 never has to reload (which is very useful when black-ops has such small stages). The only possible buff is that they should decrease the recoil on the HK21 while nerfing its damage to 35 (so that even with headshots its still a 3HK but it's always very easy to aim 3HK)

buy teh haloz said:
The HK21 isn't too bad. I think the LMG's should have more ammo by default (except for the M60), because it's a bit ridiculous how they have similar ammo capacity to assault rifles but considerably longer reload times.

The problem is that the Galil needs to have worse reload time when it holds so much ammo. the RPK can hold 80 if you use round drum. The HK hold 60 if you use round drum.

RSTEIN said:
OMG you camper!

Camping is when you stay in one place the whole time.

I do this with the shotgun:

1) run around the entire stage

2) see someone who is to far away for me to shoot right away but they see me

3) run away (but make it look like I I am bailing out when I really and just backing up a tiny bit

4) wait for them to come in range

5) shotgun to the face

TestOfTide said:
The problem is that the Galil needs to have worse reload time when it holds so much ammo. the RPK can hold 80 if you use round drum. The HK hold 60 if you use round drum.
It just kinda sucks that only one LMG actually has 100 rounds, which used to be the standard, not the exception.

buy teh haloz said:
It just kinda sucks that only one LMG actually has 100 rounds, which used to be the standard, not the exception.

I like it because before it resulted in the LMGs all having 8-10 second reload time.

RSTEIN

cuevas said:
I had my suspicions of you being a troll, thanks for confirming it.

What? You made a statement. I asked you why you feel that way... I don't know how that qualifies me as a troll.

I just went 46-3 in Domination on Jungle. I've never even come close to that before. My first time actually earning dogs too.

That's all. I needed to share.

eek5

X26 said:
+ Mortar strike
+ Olympia
+ LMG's

- AK74u

They need to switch AK74u and MP5 recoil. There is really no reason that AK74u should be better than every other SMG in every way. They also need to reduce aim assist range on the AK74u to SMG range instead of having it be one of only 2 SMGs with the longer aim assist range.

I don't really see anything wrong with the Galil but they do need to reduce AUG and Famas to 30-20 damage instead of 35-20. 937.5 rpm @ 35 damage close range is ridiculous for an AR and unbalances close range AR/SMG

SMGs with smaller mag (20 bullet mag) need extra reserve ammo. Having a small mag is punishment enough but to start your life with only 60 bullets is silly. LMG except for M60 need an extra mag or two as well.

I don't use shotguns but they could probably use a small range increase. Mortars could benefit from another volley, but I don't know if that would make them useful still.

jedimike

Effect said:
It's one side being prestiged and the other not that is really screwed up there. No matching to get the lobby populated is one thing. Once people are gathered they should be able to even the teams better though.

What I don't get is that there is a prestige bracket right to search for matches that is unlocked when you prestige for the very first time? Why aren't those people that are prestige playing in that? Isn't there a reason for it to exist or do they simply look for easy kills by knowing they'll be matched with lower ranked players that don't play as much as them?

I don't think balancing baced on prestige and level is a good idea. Prestige really just signifies the amount of time you spent playing. However, Treyarch has the ability to balance based upon the current skill level of the player. It's the same info you'll find by looking at the lobby leaderboard, but they fail to do even that.

Last night I was playing and for 4 or 5 matches IN A ROW, all of the top players got loaded on the same side. It was ridiculous and the games were complete blow outs. I felt bad for the guys on the other side and told them to stick with the game and that they just got screwed by the terrible matchmaking.

I ended up quitting the game even though I was getting killer K/D's because I just felt guilty. That would have never happened in MW2 and Treyarch needs to fix it ASAP.

eek5

jedimike said:
I don't think balancing baced on prestige and level is a good idea. Prestige really just signifies the amount of time you spent playing. However, Treyarch has the ability to balance based upon the current skill level of the player. It's the same info you'll find by looking at the lobby leaderboard, but they fail to do even that.

Last night I was playing and for 4 or 5 matches IN A ROW, all of the top players got loaded on the same side. It was ridiculous and the games were complete blow outs. I felt bad for the guys on the other side and told them to stick with the game and that they just got screwed by the terrible matchmaking.

I ended up quitting the game even though I was getting killer K/D's because I just felt guilty. That would have never happened in MW2 and Treyarch needs to fix it ASAP.
Was this in mercenary?

RSTEIN said:
I don't know what's going on. Apparently the first rule of Black Ops is you don't talk about Black Ops.

No, the first rule of Black Ops is that you don't listen to cuevas. :lol

eek5 said:
Was this in mercenary?

I'm going to assume it wasn't. MTDM usually does a pretty good job of rebalancing; the other playlists almost never do because parties make it basically impossible.

RSTEIN

jedimike said:

Yeah, tell me about it. Why can't they balance the teams so the average k/d is somewhat the same? I agree that prestige doesn't mean anything. I've played a lot of crappy prestige players. Plus low number prestige players don't have pro perks or weapons so if anything they're at a disadvantage.

In a 12 person lobby there are usually around 3 people with positive k/d (in my experience). I'm usually the top ranked person. The second person could have a k/d around 1.5 then 1.3 then it drops big time. Yet I can't tell you how often myself, the ~1.5 guy AND the 1.3 guy are all on the same team. As a rule, the top two k/d players should NEVER be on the same team. When that happens it's usually a massacre.

RSTEIN

Stoney Mason said:
I use to struggle with ACOG's in Black Ops but once I switched to sleight of hand with those type of classes its become much easier. Just a heads up to anyone else who may have been having the same issue.

Nothing special. Just a couple of 30 second clips from the theater.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl3VsdKMxOA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6St8EQ_rMtE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_8mEygErNk

Nice. I always run with Sleight of Hand Pro. I have a suppressor on my Galil and I find iron sights fine. Sometimes I would like to have an ACOG or even a red dot for across the map fights but the iron sights are good enough for 99% of my encounters. Reloading a lot faster plus aiming down the sights faster is more valuable than two attachments in my opinion.

Have you ever tried swapping your ACOG for a suppressor?

RSTEIN said:
Nice. I always run with Sleight of Hand Pro. I have a suppressor on my Galil and I find iron sights fine. Sometimes I would like to have an ACOG or even a red dot for across the map fights but the iron sights are good enough for 99% of my encounters. Reloading a lot faster plus aiming down the sights faster is more valuable than two attachments in my opinion.

Have you ever tried swapping your ACOG for a suppressor?

Generally I use the regular iron sights also. I prefer to use the free attachment for something else like extended mags (but not on the M16) but on certain maps it does confer a nice advantage if it has decent sight lines. Thankfully I used my playtime on MW 2 to ween myself off of things like red dot sights or acogs for most guns.

I like to use a suppressor on something like a Galil because its spitting out so many bullets that I don't really feel the reduction in damage. But on an M16 where I need a bit more accuracy I get frustrated with the silencer if a miss a few shots and the person gets away so I never use it with that gun.

One weird gun I have trouble with those is the FN FAL. I like to use that gun to give myself a challenge and improve my accuracy. I absolutely have to use the ACOG or the reflex with that gun. The default iron sights always trick me in misfiring.

I'm also kinda digging the M14 recently. Once again its more of a challenge gun for myself. I feel proud when I outdo people with it who are using full automatics.

jedimike said:
I don't get it... Why can't you just qualify your statement to him instead of dodging?

-You don't have to be very precise while aiming, you can move your crosshair over the enemy left and right and get a kill. (If you just hold down mouse 1 in CS you wont kill anyone)
-The best player can easily lose to a bad player (oh hey I am sitting here in a corner just waiting for you to come around the door and still get killstreaks and stuff, if you do this in a game like halo you wont do shit the whole game you will not do shit)
-The weapons are easy to use. (There is no "learning" to them, go try and be good with all the weapons quake)

If you really have to ask why COD is easier than other FPSs then you must not have given any of them a try.

divisionbyzorro said:
No, the first rule of Black Ops is that you don't listen to cuevas. :lol

I am the best, anyone who thinks they are better than me is wrong.
But seriously, I've stuck with the series since 03 and some of the shit they put into the games over the years has been garbage. Their first mistake was regenerating health.

yoopoo

Banned
Sleight of Hand Pro is a must in this game with all the jackasses running around with SMGs. Its super difficult to win close encounters against those jerks.

RSTEIN

Stoney Mason said:
One weird gun I have trouble with those is the FN FAL. I like to use that gun to give myself a challenge and improve my accuracy. I absolutely have to use the ACOG or the reflex with that gun. The default iron sights always trick me in misfiring.
I think the FAL is a very underrated weapon. I use the FAL on Array mostly. With an ACOG that thing is like a mini sniper rifle. Two quick shots to the chest from pretty far away is enough to kill someone.

cuevas said:
-You don't have to be very precise while aiming, you can move your crosshair over the enemy left and right and get a kill. (If you just hold down mouse 1 in CS you wont kill anyone)
-The best player can easily lose to a bad player (oh hey I am sitting here in a corner just waiting for you to come around the door and still get killstreaks and stuff, if you do this in a game like halo you wont do shit the whole game you will not do shit)
-The weapons are easy to use. (There is no "learning" to them, go try and be good with all the weapons quake)

I've played almost every PC and console FPS over the last twenty years and I could say the same things for most of them. I'm not sure how much "learning" is required to kill someone with a rocket launcher in Quake. Now, if you said Unreal Tournament I might agree with you (e.g. shock rifle). In Halo I have been killed plenty of times by 'inferior' players because of grenade spanning or super weapons.

I think the CoD series takes just as much skill as any series, really. I mean, if anything CoD puts everyone on a more level playing field compared to games like Halo or Quake because it's very stripped down. There are no power weapons, power ups (e.g. quad damage, invisibility, etc.). If I get quad damage in UT2K4 then I'm going to dominate for the duration of the power up. If I run to the Grav Hammer in Halo then I'm virtually a lock for 3 kills at least before I die. In Gears a regular player is turned into death machine with a boomshot.

In CoD you get a rifle, two grenades, and that's it. If anything skill is going to rise to the surface, not be suppressed. I would argue that the series hit a low with MW2. Now there's a game that doesn't require a whole lot of skill to get a crazy amount of kills. One killstreak turns into 2 killsreaks and then bam, a nuke ends the whole game! BLOPS represents a nice reset to this craziness.

RSTEIN said:
I've played almost every PC and console FPS over the last twenty years and I could say the same things for most of them. I'm not sure how much "learning" is required to kill someone with a rocket launcher in Quake. Now, if you said Unreal Tournament I might agree with you (e.g. shock rifle). In Halo I have been killed plenty of times by 'inferior' players because of grenade spanning or super weapons.
Someone who knows how to use a rocket launcher in quake can destroy someone who doesn't know how to use it. Just because you play at a low level doesn't mean everyone does.
How much easier is it to get a grenade kill in COD than in halo? You can control when someone gets power weapons or power ups, and the better players can control them.

RSTEIN said:
I think the CoD series takes just as much skill as any series, really. I mean, if anything CoD puts everyone on a more level playing field compared to games like Halo or Quake because it's very stripped down. There are no power weapons, power ups (e.g. quad damage, invisibility, etc.). If I get quad damage in UT2K4 then I'm going to dominate for the duration of the power up. If I run to the Grav Hammer in Halo then I'm virtually a lock for 3 kills at least before I die. In Gears a regular player is turned into death machine with a boomshot.
If you are talking about call of duty and call of duty 2, then yes those two were stripped down (they were the norm at the time so not really stripped of anything)

and again You can control when someone gets power weapons or power ups, and the better players can control them.

RSTEIN said:
In CoD you get a rifle, two grenades, and that's it. If anything skill is going to rise to the surface, not be suppressed. I would argue that the series hit a low with MW2. Now there's a game that doesn't require a whole lot of skill to get a crazy amount of kills. One killstreak turns into 2 killsreaks and then bam, a nuke ends the whole game! BLOPS represents a nice reset to this craziness.

It's amazing how trivial you make killstreaks, perks, and weapon attachments. Those things make it NOT on an even playing field.

Okay. I think my problem is that I manage to get two kills without dying pretty easy (getting the Spy Plane killstreak), but beyond that, I almost always die before I get to five kills. Anybody know why that is?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Dax01 said:
Okay. I think my problem is that I manage to get two kills without dying pretty easy (getting the Spy Plane killstreak), but beyond that, I almost always die before I get to five kills. Anybody know why that is?

Because you suck.

Dax01 said:
It depends. What are you doing? Running and gunning isn't ideal for most maps. Don't play it like Reach, and you'll do fine.

eek5

Dax01 said:
use RC car instead. radar is obviously making you worse

X26

Banned
Yea matchmaking is a joke, more often than not one team is stacked. They really should go by SPM, and try to balance things that way. I don't find it all that fun being on a stacked team, feels like I'm griefing. Being on a shit team and crushing the stacked team though, feels good man

RSTEIN

cuevas said:
Someone who knows how to use a rocket launcher in quake can destroy someone who doesn't know how to use it. Just because you play at a low level doesn't mean everyone does.
I don't see how this is different than CoD. Someone who doesn't know how to use a Galil or sniper rifle is going to get beat by someone who is better. It's not that more skill is required to wield a rocket launcher. I've played a lot more Quake, Quake II, Quake III and Unreal Tournament than I have CoD. There's really no extra effort required to be 'good' in Quake vs. Call of Duty. They're just different. Each weapon in any game has it's own unique spin to it, whether it's a double barreled shotgun, torque bow, shock rifle, nail gun, lighting gun, etc. As a person gets to know these weapons better they become a better player. To be sure, some weapons have steeper learning curves than other (again, the shock rifle is a perfect example of this). But no weapon is so complex that it requires some sort of special skill to use. After a hundred games or so it's possible to master any video game weapon.

cuevas said:
You can control when someone gets power weapons or power ups, and the better players can control them.
Yes, and CoD is about controlling areas, not weapons. I'm not sure what argument you're trying to make.

cuevas said:
It's amazing how trivial you make killstreaks, perks, and weapon attachments. Those things make it NOT on an even playing field.
They are even because everyone can choose to start with them. How can you say perks are not "on an even playing field" when you and I can choose the exact same layout? You and I can choose the same killstreaks, too. Over many games the better player will emerge.

In a game that revolves around weapon pick ups and power ups (Quake, Unreal, Halo) I will spawn with inferior weapons and capabilities. I will get killed by a rocket launcher, spawn with a rifle-esque weapon, and have to face a rocket launcher again. That will never, ever happen in Call of Duty. I'm not saying one is better than the other--I enjoy all of them--but of all the FPS games Call of Duty puts all the players on the most even playing field. There are no weapons or abilities that can be controlled by any player.

Dax01 said:

You can't play it like Halo. First and foremost. I'm being dead serious. You have to completely purge that mindset from your head.

ScrubJay

Dax01 said:

Try using a different level one perk than hardline, IMO that perk is a crutch to be used only after you understand the maps well enough to flank people consistently. Try Flak Jacket or Ghost.

If you pull up theatre mode and look at your last played games, there should be a map full of red dots that marks where people died. Those are the spots of the map you want to stay away from. Then watch the best players from the game and take note of what they are doing. Are they checking the corners? Are they going from cover to cover between sprints? Chances are, their high scores aren't necessarily due to reflexes and perfect aim, it's more about knowing where the enemy is going to be and giving yourself an advantage over them.

X26

Banned
flak jacket/ghost + domination + hanging back is a good a way to get better aquainted initially with getting kills/avoiding deaths, since the opportunity for both is much higher and there's less camping so you learn (or whatever) faster

imo

Stoney Mason said:
I'm trying to get my last my pro perk. Tactical Mask. Man I'm chucking grenades all over the place like a madman. :lol

My advice:

- use an smg or shotgun
- use tactical grenades on a room you about to enter, then clear the room (if you are playing a CoD game you should already know this in the first place
- scavenger pro so that you can regain your tactical grenades (especially since you only get one nova gas
- tactical grenades OHK people in second chance

And the FAL is great with a silencer. I love using on villa for both room clearing and long range.

The funny thing is trying to force it and get the grenade stuns has actually improved my grenade play. And yeah with scavenger pro you chuck em like a madman.

Top Bottom