• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

luoapp

Stoney Mason said:
The funny thing is trying to force it and get the grenade stuns has actually improved my grenade play. And yeah with scavenger pro you chuck em like a madman.

The sad part is, once I got the tactic mask pro, I switched to hacker, and never switch back.:D

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Two of the GAF regulars I play with have fallen in love so if anyone wants to play send me a friend request: RJ81.

Dax01 said:
Okay. I think my problem is that I manage to get two kills without dying pretty easy (getting the Spy Plane killstreak), but beyond that, I almost always die before I get to five kills. Anybody know why that is?

As a serious answer to your question Dax here is a vid that might help you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlMSt7d8RVI

I think there are a lot of good Call of Duty players who are pretty terrible at explaining why they are good at the game or the skills you need to be good at the game. I'm decent not great but I do try to analyze my play to get better.

I think he makes a good point in that the most important aspect of good Call of Duty play is probably target acquisition. The ability to rapidly identify a target and then move your cursor over that target and then to the next target is a huge deal in COD. It's not like halo where since it takes 5 shots from a DMR to kill someone and you can just run away if they get the first shot in. In COD identifying that guy first visually is like 70% of the battle. The next 30% is putting your cursor on him and then firing but the resolution of the battle is so quick that, that small amount of time is amplified in importance.

The next big thing is picking the right weapon and then always placing yourself in situations that are advantageous to you. Its about only going to areas of the map where you absolutely know they are there and they don't know you are coming. Or holding down good areas. The better you get at that the more adventurous you can play and enter other situations but first you want to maximize what you and your gun are good at. You don't want to run into areas where people are camping via decent line of sights. Instead you want to flank them or ideally you want them in that situation where you can predict when they are coming right at you and you have good line of sights. I also think people new to COD play it too fast at first. Don't be afraid of playing slowly at first (ignore people whining about campers) and picking up more speed as you get more comfortable. It's better to go like 10-6 than 5-20 or something by forcing it. It's a natural tendency when people are playing bad to keep repeating the same mistakes only faster because they are rushing. It's probably better to slow down in those situations and camp it out a bit to get a couple of kills under your belt and calm down. Also while its obvious its best to always take an indirect route to where ever you are going. Running right through the middle of map especially if its wide open is a bad idea. Hug the outside of the map or run through buildings or structure to get where you want to go for the most part unless you specifically know where the enemy is.

The next big thing is learning the maps and the special places that people tend to congregate at or try to hold down along with the spawning patterns of the game. That last bit is very important. Once you play enough you won't be killed so much from behind because A.) You will put your back to the walls a lot more so people can't come at you from every direction and B.) You can just sort of predict when the spawn pattern will spawn people away from you and the most obvious route they will take is right at your back.

Finally I would say start off with some of the more newb friendly guns before you move on to others. Guns with relatively low recoil but lots of bullet action. Famas, Galil, Ak74u, etc. You don't have to always stick with those guns. In fact I tend to not use them unless I'm 100% serious about the game, but they do at least initially cater to the easiest game play style to pick up.

The last thing is probably true with any game and its just sort of muscle memory in playing the game "right". In some situations there was nothing you could do and you just die Those situations can't be helped. But in at least 50% of most people's death there is something they could have done differently that might have helped them live. Whether it was knifing a guy and then shooting another guy, or being more accurate, or whatever. After while you instinctively realize what those answers are if you are honest with yourself. That part is just something you just have to learn by screwing up alot. It's the making good decisions part. It's hard to explain but you can just watch a video of somebody playing COD and generally know if they know what they are doing or not. But its hard to verbalize because its just about making good decisions or engaging in a smart manner or how they navigate the map.

I play Black Ops with somebody who is completely new to the series and its been interesting watching him go through that curve of being terrible to at least average.

We were playing against a team the other night who had about 5/6 people wearing last stand pro. They were obviously trying to coordinate some shenanigans, as they were all together in a party... Well, my guys and I decided to completely dominate them and be assholes. Complete assholes? You bet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeW5sMybxG4

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Wash, rinse, repeat is what I call that.

Oh, and earlier that match...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTpvhh6Ej6E

<3 Lame ass last stand users.

Tamanon

Banned
I don't mind last stand users, it's hilarious when I'm sniping, just to peg someone in the head, see them fall down and then just look away as I wait for them to die.

luoapp

Dax01 said:
Okay. I think my problem is that I manage to get two kills without dying pretty easy (getting the Spy Plane killstreak), but beyond that, I almost always die before I get to five kills. Anybody know why that is?

Wow. I see lots of people give tons of great advice. Just curious, are you running out of ammo often? You know you can pick up AR/SMG to replace the handgun you have at the beginning of a round? I didn't know that until like 2 months playing COD4 :lol

Tamanon said:
I don't mind last stand users, it's hilarious when I'm sniping, just to peg someone in the head, see them fall down and then just look away as I wait for them to die.
What's the time limit if they don't get revived?

Dax01 said:

Success in Call of Duty is more about not dying than it is about killing.

• When attacking an enemy, always assume there is another guy.
  • Try to get them to come to you; don't go to them. But don't stay in the same place too long. Get a kill or two in one spot and then move on.
  • Never run straight up the middle of the map; stay on the outskirts.
  • If you're having trouble getting streaks, skip Hardline and take Ghost instead. Like I said above: stay alive.
  • Use a suppressor until you understand map flow enough to be able to take the risk of showing up on their minimap.
  • If you're using Ghost, avoid your teammates when the enemy has a Spy Plane up. If you're not, stick with your teammates. Never run out by yourself if they have a Blackbird up.
  • Use Hacker as your third perk to avoid those obnoxious claymore deaths. You can also use it to find campers (just always throw a flashbang in before rushing the camper's spot).
  • Remember that the person who engages first wins 99% of the battles in this game; don't let yourself get caught off guard.
  • Shrug off your Halo training and don't go for headshots.
  • Never sprint around corners. In fact, try playing an entire match ADSing around corners just to see the difference.
  • The two best newbie killstreak setups are Spy Plane/Counter Spy Plane/Napalm Strike, or Spy Plane/SAM Turret/Care Package. If you're using packages, wait until you respawn to call them in (usually the place where you respawn is pretty safe). If you're using the Napalm, wait until a Spy Plane goes up to call it in. Even if you aren't putting up great scores, your team will love you using Spy/Counter Spy planes and SAM turrets.
  • Don't use the RC-XD. It's a crutch for players who can't get legit kills; your time is better spent learning how to play the game better.
  • Always use tactical grenades to take out Second Chance assholes from around corners; it's not worth risking them getting some lucky or laggy pistol shots in on you. The flashbang, concussion, Nova Gas, and Willy Pete will all kill them if they land near them.

Try using a FAMAS + Suppressor, Ghost, Sleight of Hand, and Hacker. For a mobile class, try the AK74u + Grip + Extended Mags, Lightweight, Warlord, and Hacker. Use claymores (the occasional free kill can be amazing). Work on getting Sleight of Hand, Warlord, and Ghost to their pro versions.

Regarding secondaries; I like the Python + Speed Reloader as the most reliable pistol, with the CZ + Extended Mags as a close second. Avoid the CZ Full Auto (the drop in damage isn't worth the automatic fire). The RPG is a pretty reliable secondary for objective modes as well.

Wow; that was a lot. I didn't intend to type all that out; hopefully some of it sticks and is helpful to you!

I don't have much of a problem with last stand but I have a feeling it will be modified anyway. Already been some discussion about it on Vondehaar's twitter and they seem really good about modifying elements of the game.

corkscrewblow said:
Worst perk in the game: Last Stand
I thought Treyarch would've removed that shit. But no. Seriously. Well,,then again, if I got the kill when someone finished him off and THEY got the assist, then I wouldn't mind. But nope. All I get is 80.

X26 said:
Yea matchmaking is a joke, more often than not one team is stacked. They really should go by SPM, and try to balance things that way. I don't find it all that fun being on a stacked team, feels like I'm griefing. Being on a shit team and crushing the stacked team though, feels good man

I too don't like being on a stacked team. And while I'm good enough to stay alive myself, I'm not good enough to carry my team to victory. So when I get put on a crappy team, I can usually go positive, something like 9-3 or 10-6, by playing conservatively, but I'm not putting up the numbers to win.

Tamanon said:

No way. Sniping is one of the worst situations to go up against a Second Chancer. Assuming you don't get a headshot, you have to take a second shot for the kill. This is already terrible because you've given away your position, and, if using the bolt action sniper, your aim has been completely lost.

Also, there's a very good chance that your opponent fell behind cover since you probably took your shot while you were halfway across the map. Then you can't see them, and they're out of range of a concussion grenade throw. You're either left firing blindly through the cover or you walk away.

So why can't you walk away? To start, you probably don't want an assist. But way worse than that is that a Second Chancer has 30 seconds to crawl and find an opponent to revive them. You can't just wait for them to bleed out because they can be resurrected.

I honestly don't have a huge problem with Second Chance. My biggest problem is with the falling process. I don't like that you can still get a few extra sprays from your FAMAS or even knife (!) while falling and maintaining a split second of invincibility.

But aside from that, the next worst problem is with snipers (and shotties). One hit kill shots should cancel out Second Chance. It's can be a total cancellation of every second you took lining up the perfect shot and the risk you took giving away your position.

Other than that, I'm fine with Second Chance. One more person on the motion sensor.

Maffis

divisionbyzorro said:
Success in Call of Duty is more about not dying than it is about killing.

• When attacking an enemy, always assume there is another guy.
  • Try to get them to come to you; don't go to them. But don't stay in the same place too long. Get a kill or two in one spot and then move on.
  • Never run straight up the middle of the map; stay on the outskirts.
  • If you're having trouble getting streaks, skip Hardline and take Ghost instead. Like I said above: stay alive.
  • Use a suppressor until you understand map flow enough to be able to take the risk of showing up on their minimap.
  • If you're using Ghost, avoid your teammates when the enemy has a Spy Plane up. If you're not, stick with your teammates. Never run out by yourself if they have a Blackbird up.
  • Use Hacker as your third perk to avoid those obnoxious claymore deaths. You can also use it to find campers (just always throw a flashbang in before rushing the camper's spot).
  • Remember that the person who engages first wins 99% of the battles in this game; don't let yourself get caught off guard.
  • Shrug off your Halo training and don't go for headshots.
  • Never sprint around corners. In fact, try playing an entire match ADSing around corners just to see the difference.
  • The two best newbie killstreak setups are Spy Plane/Counter Spy Plane/Napalm Strike, or Spy Plane/SAM Turret/Care Package. If you're using packages, wait until you respawn to call them in (usually the place where you respawn is pretty safe). If you're using the Napalm, wait until a Spy Plane goes up to call it in. Even if you aren't putting up great scores, your team will love you using Spy/Counter Spy planes and SAM turrets.
  • Don't use the RC-XD. It's a crutch for players who can't get legit kills; your time is better spent learning how to play the game better.
  • Always use tactical grenades to take out Second Chance assholes from around corners; it's not worth risking them getting some lucky or laggy pistol shots in on you. The flashbang, concussion, Nova Gas, and Willy Pete will all kill them if they land near them.

Try using a FAMAS + Suppressor, Ghost, Sleight of Hand, and Hacker. For a mobile class, try the AK74u + Grip + Extended Mags, Lightweight, Warlord, and Hacker. Use claymores (the occasional free kill can be amazing). Work on getting Sleight of Hand, Warlord, and Ghost to their pro versions.

Regarding secondaries; I like the Python + Speed Reloader as the most reliable pistol, with the CZ + Extended Mags as a close second. Avoid the CZ Full Auto (the drop in damage isn't worth the automatic fire). The RPG is a pretty reliable secondary for objective modes as well.

Wow; that was a lot. I didn't intend to type all that out; hopefully some of it sticks and is helpful to you!

Those are some really good, helpful tips.

TacticalFox88 said:
I thought Treyarch would've removed that shit. But no. Seriously. Well,,then again, if I got the kill when someone finished him off and THEY got the assist, then I wouldn't mind. But nope. All I get is 80.

Seriously, SC is great for you. If you down an enemy (assuming he's Pro),a big effing arrow will appear on his head. People on his team will automatically draw near to him. Use that chance to take some more of his teammates out. This is of course assuming you don't down him in an open area.

I don't see the problem with second chance at all and I probably get killed by someone using second chance, about 5% of the time. That's pretty shitty, especially as it's taking a perk that could be used by Hacker, a far better perk to have.

You only get half a second invincibility and chances are, the you are still firing into the person going into last stand and the final bullet has already killed the dude, before you turn away.

I tend to play with people in last stand, especially if there is cover between us. Chuck a flash grenade at him, or go at him with a knife, for that insult kill.

vhfive

I never thought about using last stand until I played with my brother and a bunch of his friends who all had the pro version and would usually just set up in one area together. At the end of every battle anyone still alive would just go around reviving people. It was really effective and it was basically the best trolling class I've seen. Did I mention they were all using claymores too (I have never heard so many angry swears at the end of every game).

I was the one running around flanking them at their spawn with marathon pro because I hadn't unlocked last stand (still haven't because I never use it).

Playing on anything less than 4 bars means I lose all the time. Other games tend to do me the courtesy of showing me how fucked my connection is rather than pretending I'm shooting people :lol

uraldix

MarshMellow96 said:
Playing on anything less than 4 bars means I lose all the time. Other games tend to do me the courtesy of showing me how fucked my connection is rather than pretending I'm shooting people :lol

Last night I shot someone and they died while I was reloading. Constant 2-3 second delay with 3-4 bars.

Enco

uraldix said:
Last night I shot someone and they died while I was reloading. Constant 2-3 second delay with 3-4 bars.
I shot and killed someone, died, respawned and got the kill a few seconds after that (3-4 bars).

corkscrewblow said:
Worst perk in the game: Last Stand
This. Goddamn kill stealers.

I only play the game to unlock the playercard backgrounds :lol

I would be SO happy if they just simply changed it so that the person who downs the person into last stand got the "kill" and the person who finished them got the assist points. I don't killed by last stand users very often, but I've lost many a kill where I drop the guy, back out to reload or throw a flashbang(always a favorite) and a teammate gets the kill instead.

luoapp

BigBlue1974 said:
I would be SO happy if they just simply changed it so that the person who downs the person into last stand got the "kill" and the person who finished them got the assist points. I don't killed by last stand users very often, but I've lost many a kill where I drop the guy, back out to reload or throw a flashbang(always a favorite) and a teammate gets the kill instead.

Come on, you have to admit you get free kills as well.:lol

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
divisionbyzorro said:
Can anyone explain to me what happened here? Because I can't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHYksilLCSs

Moments like this make me wish I could see my controller input on the theater playback. Did I accidentally push the right stick to the left when I knifed? Or did the game just decide to screw me?

What is this, I don't even. Think you got screwed.

Also, played through the entire COD series from 4 up last night with friends online. Have a whole new appreciation for BLOPS and what it does for COD MP after playing COD4 and MW2 afterward. COD4 however still feels so amazing, but not in ground war.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
divisionbyzorro said:
Can anyone explain to me what happened here? Because I can't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHYksilLCSs

Moments like this make me wish I could see my controller input on the theater playback. Did I accidentally push the right stick to the left when I knifed? Or did the game just decide to screw me?

My guess is it had something to do with the climbing animation.

Or it could just be the that knifing in this game is very inconsistent. I just got killed by a camper hiding in a corner cuz my knife went right through him. It was point blank and we were both standing still.

jedimike

cuevas said:
-You don't have to be very precise while aiming, you can move your crosshair over the enemy left and right and get a kill. (If you just hold down mouse 1 in CS you wont kill anyone)
-The best player can easily lose to a bad player (oh hey I am sitting here in a corner just waiting for you to come around the door and still get killstreaks and stuff, if you do this in a game like halo you wont do shit the whole game you will not do shit)
-The weapons are easy to use. (There is no "learning" to them, go try and be good with all the weapons quake)

If you really have to ask why COD is easier than other FPSs then you must not have given any of them a try.

I appreciate your perspective but very much disagree. CoD is as accessable as most any other FPS I have played. The one exception that comes to mind is Shadowrun.

-All console games have a level of imprecision and auto-aim built in. I played hundreds... maybe even thousands of hours of CS and recognize the difference between a console and PC fps. However, consoles FPS are comparible.
- The best player in any FPS can "lose" to a bad player when they are not the initiator in the skirmish.
- True skill is not just about how good you are with a weapon. Skilled players have complete knowledge of the maps and map patterns. They use the map and the weapon to gain advantage over the competition. That being said, I don't feel like I've ever had to spend a significant amount of time in any FPS learning the weapons. The one exception to this is Shadowrun.

Watch me camp my ass off and take advantage of this poor fella who clearly has never heard of tactical grenades. This 30 second clip is cut from about a minute and a half of gameplay. His idiotic blind rushing gave me the vast majority of my streak which led to Blackbird/CG/Dogs, and I ended the game 36-4. :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBXwYATq5PQ

Like I say in the description; I don't normally condone this sort of thing, but how could I not take advantage of this guy? :lol

EDIT: Watching it again just makes me laugh even harder. The best is the last kill, where he tosses a frag grenade through the door before running through. Nice try, buddy. :lol

And obviously the third kill was someone else. I watched his perspective; he spent most of the game going for cross-map tomahawks and no-scopes. SMH

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
divisionbyzorro said:
Watch me camp my ass off and take advantage of this poor fella who clearly has never heard of tactical grenades. This 30 second clip is cut from about a minute and a half of gameplay. His idiotic blind rushing gave me the vast majority of my streak which led to Blackbird/CG/Dogs, and I ended the game 36-4. :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBXwYATq5PQ

Like I say in the description; I don't normally condone this sort of thing, but how could I not take advantage of this guy? :lol

That was probably cuevas.

PalaceBrother said:
Campy or not, those are still good videos. Well done. Were you wearing a flak jacket in the tower on Firing Range?
No, just Ghost, deep impact (or whatever it's called now), and Ninja. I got lucky with that one RPG shot. It shoulda killed me, lol.

jkanownik

I've changed my mind on liking the Christmas noobs after getting stuck with an entire team of them in domination last night. My best teammate was 3-22 and had 1 capture/defend. I had more than double the kills and triple the capture/defends as the rest of my full team combined. I think the other guys were 1-12, 0-17 and 2-20.

I loved all the xmas noobs.

god that was awesome.

I woke up early the morning of and played for near about 2 hours straight.

Only had ONE i repeat ONE game where there was another prestige in the lobby.

The rest of the time it was mostly people in the level 1-10 range. (i'm on my 5th prestige)

:lol :lol :lol

***EDIT*** Who in here is the better people to play with? I hate playing with people who die all the time.

The problem I have with Second Chance is this. You'll down a guy in SC, but he'll somehow still kill you with his default gun during his little invincibility period when he's dropping.

THAT is what fucking sucks about it.

jedimike

AnEternalEnigma said:
The problem I have with Second Chance is this. You'll down a guy in SC, but he'll somehow still kill you with his default gun during his little invincibility period when he's dropping.

THAT is what fucking sucks about it.

I don't believe it. Anytime I have ever been killed by SC it has been my fault because I pulled away too soon or it was because I was at the brink of death from the skirmish and one shot killed me.

Finally got that last pro perk Tactical Mask. That was a bitch. Especially the nova gas kills.

The perk is really only something I would use in an objective mode like Headquarters or Domination where people tend to spam tactical grenades at specific points.

Tamanon

Banned
Enco said:
I shot and killed someone, died, respawned and got the kill a few seconds after that (3-4 bars).

This. Goddamn kill stealers.

I only play the game to unlock the playercard backgrounds :lol

Wouldn't Last Stand explain your first complaint? You're not credited until they actually die.

jedimike said:
I don't believe it. Anytime I have ever been killed by SC it has been my fault because I pulled away too soon or it was because I was at the brink of death from the skirmish and one shot killed me.

Believe it. I continue spraying any SC dude as his drop animation begins. About 1 out of 10 times, they'll inexplicably kill me as they begin their invincible drop and the kill message says it was from their normal gun.

AnEternalEnigma said:
Believe it. I continue spraying any SC dude as his drop animation begins. About 1 out of 10 times, they'll inexplicably kill me as they begin their invincible drop and the kill message says it was from their normal gun.

I've touched on this before, but under normal circumstances, your shots disappear when you die; this is how the game prevents "ties" (two players killing each other with bullets). In the case of Second Chance, this doesn't happen. Your bullets are still "alive" as you fall to the ground. So yes: if they hadn't been using SC, you would likely have survived.

Stantron

Playing domination with a buddy and randoms on Villa. I usually always try to capture B flag first. I tend to run past my initial spawn flag, sacrificing the free cap points, to get to B a few seconds earlier. I've had pretty good success using this strategy with my FlakJacket/Marathon/Smoke grenade setup. My buddy likes to dart over to the enemy's initial flag by flanking the sides of the map and harassing them there, creating diversions. In spite of the randoms we were playing with almost completely ignoring the objectives, we were doing really well, working up to a 165-190 lead. And when I say ignoring, I mean flat out playing as if it were a TDM, not even trying to help capture a flag even when a couple feet away. Whatever, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they were securing incoming lines of sight... probably not though. So, at this point the enemy team loses 5 of their six players who rage quit, which the game then quickly replaces with a set of 5 new seemingly Spec Ops caliber soldiers. Within moments we are being dominated. No biggie, I think to myself, we've got a sizable lead. That is until the score creeps to 196-198 and we're being dominated again. At this point I've sprinted, alone, to the long uncontested A flag, hoping all the attention will still be at B and C. I get it to about 80% captured, laying prone and aiming down sights, an enemy pops into view. This is it, my shining moment of heroic fortitude, I pull the trigger, putting several rounds of my AUG into my foe....aaaaaand, BAM, I'm dead. I'm convinced that I've got much shittier lag than the average player, but this one stings the most. We lose the match moments later. ;_;

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Stantron said:
This is it, my shining moment of heroic fortitude, I pull the trigger, putting several rounds of my AUG into my foe....aaaaaand, BAM, I'm dead. I'm convinced that I've got much shittier lag than the average player, but this one stings the most. We lose the match moments later. ;_;

This happens to me all the time and is just the result of the horrid stability of connections in Black Ops. In almost every game, I find myself laying waste to an enemy just spilling bullets into him...only to seemingly get shot once or twice and die immediately, even tho I was the first one to fire.

Top Bottom