• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

jedimike said:
I don't believe it. Anytime I have ever been killed by SC it has been my fault because I pulled away too soon or it was because I was at the brink of death from the skirmish and one shot killed me.

I've had far too many times where I down the guy, switched to my pistol (I use the olympia alot), and then there is a time in which I am firing bullets directly at the guy and the bullets just aren't registering. If the player sucks, the bullets eventually register, but if they are decent they get to immediately fire their pistol at me with no latency time.

What they need to do is one of the following:

a) make it so that your max health is lowered by 20 if you use second chance
b) make it not activate if the killing blow is on the head, neck or shoulders, instead of just the head

preferably the first, because then second chance would be much more of a free dropshot instead of a free dropshot + extra health (because the opponent will need to hit you with one more bullet).

Stoney Mason said:
Finally got that last pro perk Tactical Mask. That was a bitch. Especially the nova gas kills.

as someone who got the pro perk when I was on my first prestige, I know what you mean.

but at the very least, it is worth it to make the perk really good. It's great for clearing rooms (like the top floors in Nuketown)

jedimike

divisionbyzorro said:
I've touched on this before, but under normal circumstances, your shots disappear when you die; this is how the game prevents "ties" (two players killing each other with bullets). In the case of Second Chance, this doesn't happen. Your bullets are still "alive" as you fall to the ground. So yes: if they hadn't been using SC, you would likely have survived.

Things must just be different for me... I've gotten "ties" before, where in a skirmish my opponent and I end up killing eachother. I always shrug my shoulders and comment that at least I got him too.

And I'll agree that during the fall animation, the SC player is invincible, but as soon as they hit the ground, it's one shot and they are gone. I typically let off the trigger a split second and then hit them, but I have killed SC players in a continous spray following them to the ground.

I do end up being host a lot because of my connection speed, and maybe that is why my experiences seem different than others.

jedimike said:
Things must just be different for me... I've gotten "ties" before, where in a skirmish my opponent and I end up killing eachother. I always shrug my shoulders and comment that at least I got him too.

There are no ties. The game is literally programmed so that ties can't occur unless an explosive or arrow is involved.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
This game is too damn easy, I don't even have to try anymore to go positive, I just strap on light weight, slight of hand and marathon with an SMG, and ride the spam train to shitsville.

Jesus Christ, getting 20 kills with the Nova gas was terrible.

On the plus side, yesterday was the best day playing I've had since launch. Lag free, good games and some awesome kills.

Trying to get Flack Jacket pro is a pain though. Does nobody use grenades anymore?

Alienshogun said:
This game is too damn easy, I don't even have to try anymore to go positive, I just strap on light weight, slight of hand and marathon with an SMG, and ride the spam train to shitsville.

You are absolutely correct.

Lightweight Pro + Warlord Pro + Marathon Pro
AK74u + Grip/Rapid Fire
Strela-3
Semtex
Nova Gas
Jammer

Super easy mode. There really is no point even trying to play any other way. If you have good reflexes and check corners, you run the game since this game is meant to be so much slower-paced.

cameltoe

AnEternalEnigma said:
You are absolutely correct.

Lightweight Pro + Warlord Pro + Marathon Pro
AK74u + Grip/Rapid Fire
Strela-3
Semtex
Nova Gas
Jammer

Super easy mode. There really is no point even trying to play any other way. If you have good reflexes and check corners, you run the game since this game is meant to be so much slower-paced.

Last night me and a bud were playing and we came up against a clan of "super easy mode" users.....close game but we still won. In the lobby I was called a noob for using the G11.....yea, Im the noob.

I went 83-10 on nuketown (dom) last night using the G11 (heli, blackbird, dogs) against a bunch of dudes running that set up....they just couldnt hang!

Single-shot weapons like the M14 and the FAL are useless in this game; it's a shame.

Overall, I'm enjoying this CoD almost as much as CoD4. It's a good game. Hope Treyarch continues to doll out fixes and such.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
cuevas said:
That's obvious to everyone except a couple people in this thread.

Well, let me try to explain myself so you can maybe see my perspective better (by the way, there is no right or wrong answer to this).

Every FPS has exactly the same core mechanic. The player has a weapon. A button on a mouse or pad fires the weapon. The player aims their weapon at other players to try to shoot them. That's it.

On top of this of course there are lots of neat variations. Some games like UT2K4 have alternate fire so your weapon can do different things. For example if you have the rocket launcher primary fire will spread the rockets out and alternate fire will coil them into a spiral. Some games like Halo give you a shield so it takes some serious fire power to kill someone. The list goes on, but all these games are just variations of the same mechanic that was introduced by games such as Maze War, Doom, Wolfenstein, etc.

Let's say that each new feature adds to total complexity. So in Doom there were no shields. In Halo there is. That's one more thing my brain is trying to juggle. Unreal has twice as many weapons as the original Doom. That's a lot more to think about. Quake 3 has more complicated maps, launchers and teleports, more power ups, etc. We can say that it is more complex than Doom.

However, we should not confuse varying complexity as some sort proxy for skill required to be 'successful.' Why? Because the player always plays by that game's specific rules and against other players who are also following the same rules. A player may be very familiar with the characteristics of a particular game. I'm very familiar with every UK2K4 weapon, the unique trajectory of the bullets/energy from each weapon, and weapon/power up locations on all maps. But I'm playing against other players who are also intimately familiar with all of this stuff! The intrinsic complexity of the game is essentially neutralized because everyone is trying to do the same thing as I am.

Research in behavioural decision theory has revealed that the brain can only process 7 or 8 variables simultaneously. To compensate we use heuristics, stereotyping, etc. In UT2K4 I have 7 or 8 variables going on in my head (weapon location, player location, ammo count, map location, automatic math in my head that calculates trajectories, etc.). In Call of Duty I only have 7 or 8 variables, too. But they're different. For example, I'm not thinking about weapon location, I'm thinking about choke points. So I cannot say that because Call of Duty has less complexity (no power ups, simpler weapons) that my skills will immediately cross over--or ever cross over. While it has less complexity, it also has very specific and unique features that I need to master.

I'll give you an example. I play Black Ops a lot with a Gaffer. This Gaffer is amazing at Gears of War. I've played a lot of Gears and I can tell you over about three years of playing Gears this guy has done stuff I've never seen anyone else do. Truly amazing things. This Gaffer is also very good at Halo 3/Reach. Yet only until recently he always carried a k/d less than 1 in the Call of Duty series! Why? Because the game had not clicked for him. He tried to use his Gears/Halo skills and he was getting slaughtered. So for him, Call of Duty is very challenging indeed! He had to unlearn all this stuff and then relearn new skills to become just a mediocre Call of Duty player. He needed to completely replace the variables that his brain was trying to juggle.

Look at Dax01 here in this thread. I know he plays lots of Halo. I'm sure he's very good at Halo. Yet earlier he saidplease give me tips on how to get more than 2 consecutive kills.For someone like me I can't even understand how not to get more than two consecutive kills. I'm a good Call of Duty player so getting big kill streaks is very easy for me. I'm a very mediocre Halo player yet an amazing UT2K4 and Quake 3 player. I'm sure Dax01 would shake his head at me if he watched me play Halo. Maybe Dax01 will never be a good Black Ops player. So somehow he's good at a game with more complexity.

Is sprinting easier to master than a marathon? They both share the same basic thing: putting one foot infront of the other to make the body move. But they have very different things going on that requires very specific skills to master.

I've played almost virtually every single major FPS over the last 20 years. In my opinion, the big ones (Quake, UT, Call of Duty, Halo, Crysis, etc.) are all so unique that all that can be said is they require specific skills to be excel.

yoopoo said:
Thanks to the xmas noobs my K/d went from 1.16 to 1.21 in the last week, hoho.

They're still there. Our second daughter was born a few weeks ago so I was sidelined for a bit. I've gotten my priorities back in place now and have had some tremendous runs. 46-3, 47-3 and 19-0 in the last two days.

And yes, I'm leaving out a number of very unimpressive scores too!

RSTEIN said:
Well, let me try to explain myself so you can maybe see my perspective better (by the way, there is no right or wrong answer to this).

I wouldn't bother debating with him. You make far too much sense. I like it how he's now reduced to tired one-sentence responses. "That'll show em' I don't care!" :lol

Thanks to the xmas noobs my K/d went from 1.16 to 1.21 in the last week, hoho.

Yeah, the Xmas newbies are great in theory, but once your stuck on a team with a bunch of 'em, it's rage-inducing. I usually manage to get at least a 2 or 3 kd, but a loss is inevitable.

rezuth

Why do people insist on making me play hardcore team deathmatch. It's so fucking dull, just a bunch of people sitting in each corner wanking while waiting for the next free kill.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Dax01 said:
Single-shot weapons like the M14 and the FAL are useless in this game; it's a shame.

Overall, I'm enjoying this CoD almost as much as CoD4. It's a good game. Hope Treyarch continues to doll out fixes and such.

No, you're just terrible.

Dax01 said:

The FAL and the M14 are only deadly in the hands of a very-skilled player. A good player can wreak havoc with either gun, especially on the larger maps where they can use the extra space to turn the tide on the SMG users.

The issue is that due to COD's emphasis on close-quarter, run and gun gameplay, single-shot weapons are automatically at a disadvantage. Sure, they've got the advantage at mid-to-long rang, but any closer and you're screwed in 70% of firefights.

RSTEIN said:

Just because they require different skill sets doesn't mean that they are equal. Take checkers and chess, they are both games that you just move game pieces around a board so the skills required to play those are the same. Right? No, I'm sure that they're people who are amazing at checkers but the entry point and learning curve is much lower than that of chess.

Two friends who are in LA and engineering were arguing about the difficulty of their majors and the engineer said, "Anyone can make shitty art, not everyone can make a shitty program" :lol . All majors are the same, you go to class and learn the material.

3ur4zn said:
The FAL and the M14 are only deadly in the hands of a very-skilled player. A good player can wreak havoc with either gun, especially on the larger maps where they can use the extra space to turn the tide on the SMG users.

The issue is that due to COD's emphasis on close-quarter, run and gun gameplay, single-shot weapons are automatically at a disadvantage. Sure, they've got the advantage at mid-to-long rang, but any closer and you're screwed in 70% of firefights.
Maybe, but all I know is I die a lot more than usual when I try to use the FAL. I always seem to come up short in firefights.

Anyway, I've revised my killstreaks. I'm wondering if having my earliest killstreak at five kills will help me with my skill. My three killstreaks are care package, mortar strike, chopper gunner.

MarkMclovin said:
Jesus Christ, getting 20 kills with the Nova gas was terrible.

On the plus side, yesterday was the best day playing I've had since launch. Lag free, good games and some awesome kills.

Trying to get Flack Jacket pro is a pain though. Does nobody use grenades anymore?
All I see is Semtex (ugh). I have needed 2 frag pick ups since launch practically. It should be easy, I just never remember to pick them up.

Tac Mask Pro came easy for me and was a lot of fun. Just throw Nova on bomb sites and Domination flags and you'd be surprised how much people try to sit through it and die. Scavenger Pro and Warlord Pro will help a lot too.

RSTEIN

cuevas said:
Just because they require different skill sets doesn't mean that they are equal.
I didn't say that. I said they're different and therefore require different skills.

cuevas said:
Take checkers and chess, they are both games that you just move game pieces around a board so the skills required to play those are the same. Right? No, I'm sure that they're people who are amazing at checkers but the entry point and learning curve is much lower than that of chess.
Exactly my point. Chess is a more complex game. But checkers has its own unique rules that demands specific skills. I may be a chess master and fail completely to succeed at checkers. Just because I have mastered a complex game does not mean that I automatically will master any game deemed to be less complex. In fact, I could fail completely because I don't understand what it takes to succeed in the first place.

Of course skills often do transfer between closely related disciplines. For example Gus Hansen is a Backgammon champion and poker champion. Stu Ungar was a gin rummy champion and poker champion. If I have a positive k/d in Quake 3 I'll probably have a good shot at having a positive k/d in FPS X because I probably have the essential skills required to succeed.

Where you and I fundamentally disagree is that you see it as a fact that Call of Duty is easier than other first person shooters. You see this as a scientifically provable fact, "like the sky is blue." I'm saying that it's impossible to even come to this conclusion let alone create an experiment to prove it. Furthermore I've given you an example where your statement does not hold.

cuevas said:
Two friends who are in LA and engineering were arguing about the difficulty of their majors and the engineer said, "Anyone can make shitty art, not everyone can make a shitty program" :lol

Actually your friend is completely wrong. Anyone can make a shitty program. The success or failure of a computer program is measured against an objective benchmark. If I am tasked to create a program that adds 2+2 but my program yields the answer of 5 (or no answer at all) then I have created a shitty program.

It is impossible to make shitty art because it is impossible to define precisely what art is or is not.

RSTEIN said:
Where you and I fundamentally disagree is that you see it as a fact that Call of Duty is easier than other first person shooters. You see this as a scientifically provable fact, "like the sky is blue." I'm saying that it's impossible to even come to this conclusion let alone create an experiment to prove it. Furthermore I've given you an example where your statement does not hold.

Simple, look the majority of players who are successful in CoD who go to other games and see if they are successful there (1+ k/d). Compare that to the majority of people who are good at other games and come to CoD.

I play Blops with people I used to play counter strike and call of duty/2 on the PC with and some were average at best at those games but just dominate in blops.

RSTEIN said:
Actually your friend is completely wrong. Anyone can make a shitty program. The success or failure of a computer program is measured against an objective benchmark. If I am tasked to create a program that adds 2+2 but my program yields the answer of 5 (or no answer at all) then I have created a shitty program.

I can give my 2 year old nephew a crayon and paper and he can shit something out, if I give him vi and a keyboard...

Dax01 said:

I often use both and can get good numbers with both. They are both harder to use than normal guns though so you should stay away from them until your skill level has progressed.

also the "easy" argument is dumb. But whatever. Keep spinning your wheels on it for pages. Easy is a relative term depending on skill. I have a nephew who is great at Halo but terrible at COD. It's not easy for him. Because he can't adapt to the skill set or learn the skill set. Easy is relative to competition and the skills you work on or already possess.

In a general sense all of the more popular games are "easier" to play than some other shooters. Halo is "easier" to play than some other shooters. That is part of the reason of why they are popular. They are more accessible hence why they are popular. It's easier for me to play it than Gears for instance. It's easier to play than ARMA in a relative sense. What does it matter. The only true thing that matters is the relative fun somebody gets out of a game. Either you get fun out of it or you don't. If you do then cool. If you don't then cool. But easier or harder is not the same as fun or not fun.

RSTEIN

cuevas said:
Simple, look the majority of players who are successful in CoD who go to other games and see if they are successful there (1+ k/d). Compare that to the majority of people who are good at other games and come to CoD.

I play Blops with people I used to play counter strike and call of duty/2 on the PC with and some were average at best at those games but just dominate in blops.

Still impossible to do. It's impossible to control for all the variables at play.

I have anecdotal stories of players that are great at 'more complex' games but horrible and Black Ops. Stoney above just provided another.

cuevas said:
I can give my 2 year old nephew a crayon and paper and he can shit something out, if I give him vi and a keyboard...

... he will create a shitty program that will be unanimously, independently, and objectively recognized as a shitty program. The art that he produces will be considered beautiful by some, horrible by others.

RSTEIN said:
Still impossible to do. It's impossible to control for all the variables at play.

I have anecdotal stories of players that are great at 'more complex' games but horrible and Black Ops. Stoney above just provided another.

... he will create a shitty program that will be unanimously, independently, and objectively recognized as a shitty program. The art that he produces will be considered beautiful by some, horrible by others.

Halo is easy, more difficult than cod. He wont create a program but he might push some keys.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
cuevas said:
Halo is easy, more difficult than cod. He wont create a program but he might push some keys.

CoD is probably the "easiest" of the popular games on live/psn right now. Halo is probably the hardest to be good at , not sure what the equal on PSN would be, since even KZ2 has the same type of mechanic.

I wish more people gravitated to the 'harder' games than the easier games, but that's just how it works. It's also why games like Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six have been changed so radically.

RSTEIN

cuevas said:
Halo is easy, more difficult than cod.
You throw out these statements but with no proof. How can you say Halo is easy? By what measure? How are you defining easy?

cuevas said:
He wont create a program but he might push some keys.
Exactly. He will succeed at creating a shitty program. A program that does not work is a program that is a failure.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
RSTEIN said:
You throw out these statements but with no proof. How can you say Halo is easy? By what measure? How are you defining easy?

Exactly. He will succeed at creating a shitty program. A program that does not work is a program that is a failure.

I think he meant to say "easily more difficult than cod."

Since we are arguing if some FPS's can be harder than others, do you think other games like platformers or puzzle games can be harder than other games in their genre?

RSTEIN said:

People will recognize
2cz7zwm.jpg

as art.

people will not recognize
Code:
yervserwbk
as a program. He would not know how to save it so there would be no file to try and compile and therefore no program.

divisionbyzorro said:
Okay, this conversation thread is getting old. Can we give it up, please?

He's got a personal vendetta against me, other people throughout this thread and even in just this page have said this is an easy game but only tries to argue with me :lol :lol

RSTEIN

cuevas said:
people will not recognize
Code:
yervserwbk
as a program. He would not know how to save it so there would be no file to try and compile and therefore no program.
If I tell your nephew to create a computer program and if all he does is type "yervserwbk" then he has failed to create a successful program (or succeeded in creating a shitty program).

Alternatively, I could deliberately make a shitty program. What's to stop me from making a program that returns 5 for 2+2? That's pretty shitty!

Your friend said "it's impossible to create a shitty program." Yet I've given you two examples that prove that it is possible to create a shitty program.

1) The person is unable to program and therefore will fail when tasked with the job.
2) The person deliberately makes a program that fails to run properly.

cuevas said:
He's got a personal vendetta against me, other people throughout this thread and even in just this page have said this is an easy game but only tries to argue with me
First you call me a troll then you say I have some sort of vendetta against you because I disagree with you? The first time I have ever come across you on this board is in this thread. All I have done is try to articulate why I believe what I believe. If this offends you or threatens you then I don't know what to say. Perhaps that's why several in this thread have you on their ignore list.

jedimike

TestOfTide said:
There are no ties. The game is literally programmed so that ties can't occur unless an explosive or arrow is involved.

It can happen gun on gun with SC too. I know that I have been in a skirmish where an enemy kills me but I placed him in SC. I guess it's technically not a tie, since the opponent is still temporarily alive, but it can happen like that too.

jedimike

cuevas said:
He's got a personal vendetta against me, other people throughout this thread and even in just this page have said this is an easy game but only tries to argue with me :lol :lol

Your statement (the game is easy) implies that Blops doesn't require skill and strategy to be successful. I think you should be able to admit that the statement simply is not true. There is definitely complexity in Blops and those who can master the complexity will be more successful than those who run around the map with their ak-74u's spraying away. (which is in itself a strategy... just not a good one imo).

RSTEIN

cuevas said:
How the hell do you get this:

Originally Posted by RSTEIN:
"it's impossible to create a shitty program."

from

Quote:
, "Anyone can make shitty art, not everyone can make a shitty program"

My apologies. Let me rephrase. Your friend said "not everyone can make a shitty program" which is the same as "it is impossible for some to create a shitty program." I'm saying that he's wrong. Everyone has the ability to fail at creating a successful program. In other words, everyone and anyone can make a shitty program. Even the most skilled programmer can create a program that does not succeed.

I'm saying nobody as the ability to create shitty art because there is no definition of success or failure for art.

RSTEIN said:
My apologies. Let me rephrase. Your friend said "not everyone can make a shitty program" which is the same as "it is impossible for some to create a shitty program." I'm saying that he's wrong. Everyone has the ability to fail at creating a successful program. In other words, everyone and anyone can make a shitty program. Even the most skilled programmer can create a program that does not succeed.

I'm saying nobody as the ability to create shitty art because there is no definition of success or failure for art.

If it doesn't exist it cant be shitty.

Again: Since we are arguing if some FPS's can be harder than others, do you think other games like platformers or puzzle games can be harder than other games in their genre?

RSTEIN

cuevas said:
Again: Since we are arguing if some FPS's can be harder than others, do you think other games like platformers or puzzle games can be harder than other games in their genre
Just to clarify, I hope you realize that I'm not saying saying all first person shooters are the same. All that I'm saying I don't think one should confuse complexity with difficulty. One reason you said CoD is an easier game is because "the weapons are easy to use." I'm saying I don't think one should jump to conclusions like that. While in CoD the weapons are limited and more homogeneous compared to other first person shooters, the similarity of the weapons across all the players actually introduces new challenges, it does not mean the game is suddenly easier. Another example: I find Halo SWAT to be way harder than regular Halo. Yet all the weapons are the same!

Of course I find different games within the same genre more challenging (if we're talking single player campaign type stuff).

corkscrewblow said:
oh hey look, I shoot this guy four times in the chest close range and he doesn't die. The MP5 is really awful or Treyarch is really awful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EftrqV4lXAc
What is that? At least 4 or 5 hit markers? That's why if I go sub I go 74u.

luoapp said:
You had the hit markers, so they were registered. I guess the suppressor shortens the range too much. 74u won't help you here.

He might as well be using a shotgun if its that weak at that range

RSTEIN said:
Of course I find different games within the same genre more challenging (if we're talking single player campaign type stuff).

I understand the need to want to defend something you are good at, just like my LA friend she didn't want to be told her major was "easy".

We are never going to agree on this but I will leave you with one note: I see people here saying the game is easy and then there are people like you trying to say it's just as hard as other games. I don't see anyone making an argument that it is harder than others and that says a lot.

cuevas said:
We are never going to agree on this but I will leave you with one note: I see people here saying the game is easy and then there are people like you trying to say it's just as hard as other games. I don't see anyone making an argument that it is harder than others and that says a lot.

No, it logically doesn't. It just means that people aren't buying into your argument of X multiplayer game is more difficult than Y multiplayer game despite a number of differing factors, most prominent among them is the level of competition. And of course this isn't comparable to a single-player platformer where the developer has full control over level design.

Mileena

Banned
cuevas said:
What is that? At least 4 or 5 hit markers? That's why if I go sub I go 74u.
I just prestiged again last night so I was stuck with MP5, M16 or Enfield. Luckily I got to 18 before I got off so I have my beloved 74u again <3

luoapp said:
You had the hit markers, so they were registered. I guess the suppressor shortens the range too much. 74u won't help you here.
Exactly. Four hit markers close range and somebody doesn't die? What is this, Bad Company 2?

jedimike

cuevas said:
I see people here saying the game is easy and then there are people like you trying to say it's just as hard as other games. I don't see anyone making an argument that it is harder than others and that says a lot.

It says a lot regarding the popularity of the game. COD games are very accessible. Most anyone can pick up a controller, enter the game, and get some kills. Being successful is subjective, but a starting player getting a few kills is probably happy with that initial success.

But that does not mean COD is not complex. There is a reason they give you a half dozen slots for customizing your load out. Different maps require different load outs and even different killstreaks. Using air support on a map like Havana is a waste of resources. Being "good" at COD is not easy.

But the same could be said of most FPS's. Halo is easy to pick up and play. It also has tons of sales. On the contrary, Shadowrun is "hard." It has a steep point of entry.

The problem with calling an FPS "easy" or "hard" is that the definitions aren't complete enough to make that judgement.

RSTEIN

cuevas said:
I understand the need to want to defend something you are good at, just like my LA friend she didn't want to be told her major was "easy".

I'm not defending CoD because I'm good at it. Why do you think I would do that? If you have been reading my posts at all you would realize I'm not defending or attacking Call of Duty at all. I'm saying that in my opinion it takes just as much skill to be 'good' at CoD than Quake 3 or any other popular FPS. That's just my experience.

cuevas said:

Again, I'm not sure whether or not you're really reading what I'm saying. If I'm not explaining myself properly, I do apologize. I'm not saying Call of Duty is harder or easier than other games. It may or may not be for you. I'm just saying that it's dangerous to a) tie the complexity of a game to its difficulty level and b) you can't make a blanket statement that CoD is easier or harder because it's very specific to each individual and his or her own experience with games in general.

The other thing that people have said is that
a) I should put you on my ignore list.
b) I should not debate with you because it's not worth it.

But that doesn't stop me!

Top Bottom