• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

eek5

divisionbyzorro said:
Can anyone explain to me what happened here? Because I can't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHYksilLCSs

Moments like this make me wish I could see my controller input on the theater playback. Did I accidentally push the right stick to the left when I knifed? Or did the game just decide to screw me?
You turned your controller to the left as you knifed and hit the rock. The knife will only lunge if the person is in the center 50% of your screen, which he was not.

eek5

corkscrewblow said:
oh hey look, I shoot this guy four times in the chest close range and he doesn't die. The MP5 is really awful or Treyarch is really awful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EftrqV4lXAc
MP5 w/ silencer from that distance requires 5 hits to the chest to kill. You were so close!

Silencer cuts the 40dmg distance more than half way.

cuevas said:
What is that? At least 4 or 5 hit markers? That's why if I go sub I go 74u

MP5 and AK74u have the same exact damage values.

corkscrewblow said:
Exactly. Four hit markers close range and somebody doesn't die? What is this, Bad Company 2?

That's closer to mid-range for COD. MP5 is my 5th most used weapon and I'd be surprised if he really got 4 hit markers on that (that was one of the more schizophrenic recoils you get at full auto) but either way, using a silencer cuts the damage drop off distance by so much that even if he did get 4 hit markers it probably didn't total up to enough damage for a kill. And also, I know you're being facetious but in BFBC2:V ppsh kills in 4 hits close range. :)

luoapp

corkscrewblow said:
I just prestiged again last night so I was stuck with MP5, M16 or Enfield. Luckily I got to 18 before I got off so I have my beloved 74u again <3

Exactly. Four hit markers close range and somebody doesn't die? What is this, Bad Company 2?

A silenced MP5 does 20 damage after ~18m according to the chart below, full health is 100hp. You do the math.

mp5k-suppressor.png

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
TacticalFox88 said:
Blackbird is such a beast for finding NCPs. They can't hide even with Ghost Pro.

damn blackbirds >.>

Fortunately many players don't realize how awesome they are.

Blackbird is pretty awesome. And I originally thought it wouldn't make that much of a difference just to know their facing. But it makes all the difference in the world. Great kill streak addition.

RSTEIN

Stoney Mason said:
Blackbird is pretty awesome. And I originally thought it wouldn't make that much of a difference just to know their facing. But it makes all the difference in the world. Great kill streak addition.

Blackbird is as good as Valkyrie rockets are bad.

RSTEIN

TacticalFox88 said:
Now rocking Spy Plane, Blackbird, Gunship. Wow, the gap between my first two streaks is huge. :lol

I hate the Gunship. Too much stuff going on. I always manage to get more kills with the Chopper Gunner. Strange, I know.

eek5

TacticalFox88 said:
Now rocking Spy Plane, Blackbird, Gunship. Wow, the gap between my first two streaks is huge. :lol
I go spy->bird as well. It always surprises me when blackbird pops up since I don't actively keep track of my kill streak. :lol

RSTEIN said:
I hate the Gunship. Too much stuff going on. I always manage to get more kills with the Chopper Gunner. Strange, I know.

The Chopper Gunner is easily the best killstreak in terms of how many kills it gets versus how many kill it takes to earn. The Attack Dogs and Blackbird are the next two best. Hence why I always run with Blackbird/Chopper Gunner/Attack Dogs. :lol

Dogs + Chopper Gunner = pure ownage. All three of my videos had that combo, and without them, I would have had like 15-0 KD, not 34-0, 36-0, and 38-0. Dogs flush them out and I mow 'em down from above. Soooo fun. :D

I always make sure to yell into the mic "PUPPIES~" before I launch my dogs, though. It helps with their kills I think. *nods to self*

RSTEIN

divisionbyzorro said:
The Chopper Gunner is easily the best killstreak in terms of how many kills it gets versus how many kill it takes to earn. The Attack Dogs and Blackbird are the next two best. Hence why I always run with Blackbird/Chopper Gunner/Attack Dogs. :lol

I just can't let go of my spy plan. I can get like 4-5 per game.

eek5

cuevas said:
Which one fires faster?
Neither since they both fire at the same rpm. Ak74u has longer aim assist range, better attachments (glauncher, grip), tighter/more predictable recoil. As far as damage goes though both have the same dmg, rate of fire and ttk.

RSTEIN said:
Blackbird is as good as Valkyrie rockets are bad.

Valkyrie's are great...if they weren't an 7-killstreak. Two rockets aren't enough, and if you die whilst carrying one you never get it back.

They pretty much guarantee at least two kills, but 7 kills for just two more? Fuck that, it makes so much more sense to just use blackbird or chopper gunner instead.

kuYuri

TacticalFox88 said:
I think Counter-Spy Plane is not worth the slot it takes up. Sure they're blind...but...that's it. Eh.

You kidding? Counter Spy Plane is great in gamestypes like CTF and is the only real counter to Blackbird. Worth it for at least two people on a team to have it.

My Pro Perk quest is nearly complete! I got Lightweight Pro, Steady Aim Pro, and Marathon Pro today, leaving only Flak Jacket and Hardline (and Second Chance, but I still haven't even purchased it). I expected the flag captures for Marathon to be more difficult to get than they were, but apparently the vast majority of people who play CTF in this game are terrible at winning CTF games. :lol

TacticalFox88 said:
I still think Dogs should've been WAY lower. Like 8 or something kills.

No way! The dogs are amazing! I did some math earlier; they average me about 7-8 kills per use, which is insanely powerful and deserving of an 11-streak reward (especially since one guy can't take down the whole thing like he can with a CG or Gunship). The Chopper Gunner is slightly better to me (about 10 kills per use), but I still think the balance is pretty good as is.

TacticalFox88 said:
Valkyrie rockets are almost as useless as Mortars

The Valkyrie Rockets actually should have been one of the unique care package weapons (like the Grim Reaper or Death Machine), rather than a standalone killstreak. And the mortars; well, I have no idea how to make those suck less. :lol

TacticalFox88 said:

I normally roll with Blackbird-Chopper Gunner-Dogs

If I rack up enough kills to get the Blackbird the other kills are cake. Throw out the dogs while I'm gunning and nobody really has a chance to shoot me down. It's a little hard to start up, but it's almost a guaranteed win if I do.

To make things even crazier, I sometimes let myself die after I unlock the dogs (but before I use them). My SR71 is still up and it lets me get some easy kills to start the whole process over again, stacking multiple dogs and chopper gunners on top of eachother. It can get pretty ugly.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Bleh, decided to give the campaign a go on veteran today.

Pretty darn frustrating. Only did the first 3 or 4 levels before I was sick of it.

TacticalFox88 said:
I can't be the only one who hates morons who activate Spy Plane while Counter Spy plane is active....

Give them the benefit of the doubt. Maybe they've stacked killstreaks, and they're trying to scroll through to their next one.

or not.

rezuth

Anyone else find care packages pretty useless? I always seem to get ammo in them and if I reroll they give me counter-spyplane.

rezuth said:
Anyone else find care packages pretty useless? I always seem to get ammo in them and if I reroll they give me counter-spyplane.

The higher the level you are, the less likely you'll receive a good reward.

DukeSucks

TacticalFox88 said:
I can't be the only one who hates morons who activate Spy Plane while Counter Spy plane is active....

yeah, same here, but every once in a while I'll instinctively hit it without thinking. I get madder at myself then when my teammates do it. :D

RSTEIN

Do you think it would be good to have the ability to select our qued up killstreaks? Spy plane --> see two more guys --> Fuuuu no spy plane for Napalm. D pad down could select your killstreak or something.

-viper-

Banned
it got me thinking - seeing as so many of you have high killstreaks, do you always get them in every game?

you must be one damn good player to do so.

i stick with spy plane, counter spy and care package because i'll get these killstreaks in every game i play. i hate selecting high killstreaks and not reaching them.

tsigo said:
Multiple spy planes stack and refresh the minimap faster, so it's not completely useless.
exactly. its very useful.

-viper- said:
it got me thinking - seeing as so many of you have high killstreaks, do you always get them in every game?

Always? Absolutely not. But I'm able to keep a good ratio even when I'm not hitting my high streaks. Those streaks just become icing on the cake.

RSTEIN

divisionbyzorro said:
Always? Absolutely not. But I'm able to keep a good ratio even when I'm not hitting my high streaks. Those streaks just become icing on the cake.

Yeah, no way in hell I get a Chopper Gunner every game. I've played about 550 games (I only play TDM) and have called in ~100 Chopper Gunners so that's just approx 20% of the time (this really makes me wish for online stats). I've called in two Chopper Gunners in the same game a handfull of games.

They really are just icing on the cake. Typically I'll go something like 25-11 but when I get a Chopper Gunner this goes up to 35-11 or thereabouts. 80% of the time I have a 2.00 k/d. 20% of the time I have a 3.00 k/d, so Chopper Gunners only add 0.20 to my kdr.

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
Alienshogun said:
CoD is probably the "easiest" of the popular games on live/psn right now. Halo is probably the hardest to be good at , not sure what the equal on PSN would be, since even KZ2 has the same type of mechanic.

I wish more people gravitated to the 'harder' games than the easier games, but that's just how it works. It's also why games like Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six have been changed so radically.

Maybe Socom since it has bigger focus on not dying. I personally love Socom, Gears of War, and COD but I hate Halo and Unreal. I tend to prefer games that focus on staying alive instead of just trying to rack up the kills.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Gunstar77 said:
Maybe Socom since it has bigger focus on not dying. I personally love Socom, Gears of War, and COD but I hate Halo and Unreal. I tend to prefer games that focus on staying alive instead of just trying to rack up the kills.

All of the games you mentioned focus on killing and staying alive. In order to win you need more kills than deaths.

You don't win by sitting in a corner hoping no one finds you.

Top Bottom