• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

-viper- said:
it got me thinking - seeing as so many of you have high killstreaks, do you always get them in every game?

you must be one damn good player to do so.

Nope. I can go long periods of time without earning any killstreaks, but it's worth it. It's a high risk/high reward attitude, and while I'm not constantly throwing out spy planes or napalm I have a good chance of single-handedly winning the match.

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
Alienshogun said:
All of the games you mentioned focus on killing and staying alive. In order to win you need more kills than deaths.

You don't win by sitting in a corner hoping no one finds you.

Killing is always the main goal in a shooter that goes without saying but the 3 games I loved , Socom, GOW, and COD put a greater value on staying alive then other shooters. Socom and GOW the reward for staying alive is really simple don't die and you get keep on playing because of the no respawn. COD is little different by making the reward for not dying a kill streak which gives you a temporary unlock able.

COD IS a tough game to get into....if you're literally just starting FPSs. Not even easy on the campaign will hold your hand, if you're a total noob. I'm a witness to that myself.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Gunstar77 said:
Killing is always the main goal in a shooter that goes without saying but the 3 games I loved , Socom, GOW, and COD put a greater value on staying alive then other shooters. Socom and GOW the reward for staying alive is really simple don't die and you get keep on playing because of the no respawn. COD is little different by making the reward for not dying a kill streak which gives you a temporary unlock able.

Not all settings in GOW or Socom are no respawn, so I disagree. Also I disagree about COD, that game is about getting kills as fast as possible to get kill streaks, deaths just come with the territory, especially in that game.

It's gonna be a agree to disagree thing though, and entirely depends on the modes played.

TacticalFox88 said:
COD IS a tough game to get into....if you're literally just starting FPSs. Not even easy on the campaign will hold your hand, if you're a total noob. I'm a witness to that myself.

That goes for damn near every game though.

jedimike

DukeSucks said:
yeah, same here, but every once in a while I'll instinctively hit it without thinking. I get madder at myself then when my teammates do it. :D

I've inadvertantly hit the button more times than I'd like to admit. :(

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Had a pretty good night last night...

2rqooht.jpg

-viper-

Banned
The campaign is fucking phenomenal. The presentation and the style is fantastic. Love the (cinematic) feel.

The campaign blows away Halo Reach and Medal of Honor.

FPS of the year, no fucking doubt.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
-viper- said:
The campaign is fucking phenomenal. The presentation and the style is fantastic. Love the (cinematic) feel.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

-viper- said:

What the fuck?

-viper- said:

Let me guess: this was your first time to play a Call of Duty campaign?

vhfive

-viper- said:

thCrazyeyes.gif

I thought this campaign was really forgetable (I already forgot most of it but I think glass punching was invovled).

hamchan

-viper- said:

Unlike everyone else that posted after you I will not laugh or mock you. I also really liked the campaign and I'd easily put it on the same level as CoD4.

RSTEIN said:
IThe other thing that people have said is that
a) I should put you on my ignore list.
b) I should not debate with you because it's not worth it.

But that doesn't stop me!

I only told you that because he's proven himself incapable of carrying and executing a reasoned, logical, mature debate. He's one of the most limp-wristed, half-arsed troll's I've come across on GAF.

I genuinely would like to know what Cuevas's stats are, because perhaps then I can begin to understand why you come across as a rude, pompous elitist. I'm expecting at least a 3kd, or many :lol shall ensue.

In terms of the campaign, it's mathematically impossible to deem BO's campaign superior to even MW2's, simply for the fact they brought back the "monster closet" mechanic. For that, Treyarch's decision makers should be taken aside and shot through the foot with an air rifle.

hamchan

3ur4zn said:
I only told you that because he's proven himself incapable of carrying and executing a reasoned, logical, mature debate. He's one of the most limp-wristed, half-arsed troll's I've come across on GAF.

I genuinely would like to know what Cuevas's stats are, because perhaps then I can begin to understand why you come across as a rude, pompous elitist. I'm expecting at least a 3kd, or many :lol shall ensue.

In terms of the campaign, it's mathematically impossible to deem BO's campaign superior to even MW2's, simply for the fact they brought back the "monster closet" mechanic. For that, Treyarch's decision makers should be taken aside and shot through the foot with an air rifle.

Show me your maths.

Wait...Didn't CoD4 have monster closets? You're saying MW2's campaign is better than COD4's!?

-viper- said:

Why are you comparing a movie to two FPS videogames?

-viper- said:

The campaign was ok, but the shiny new feeling wasnt there. CoD 4 is more memorable for me because its the first time I had seen the style of presentation.

Not gonna lie though, from a purely story/ movie point of view the campaign was interesting, the gameplay wasnt as up to scratch for me though.

Gunstar77 said:
Maybe Socom since it has bigger focus on not dying. I personally love Socom, Gears of War, and COD but I hate Halo and Unreal. I tend to prefer games that focus on staying alive instead of just trying to rack up the kills.

I take it you didnt get a very high rank in Halo then? :lol

Anyone that played to win/ had a competative mindset would tell you the importance of staying alive, it is vital to winning in straight slayer but staying alive in objective is ABSOLUTELY critical not to give the enemy ground. The best Halo players ive seen are the ones who have mastered the art of staying alive and knowing when to retreat in battles.

Im talking about the older style Halo, Reach is a very different game.

To link it back to CoD, in normal matchmaking dieing (and even losing) means little to me, infact I sometimes go out of my way to die in order to get another killstreak going.

People shoot down things a lot quicker in this game. Only later on in MW2's lifespan did the majority of killstreaks get shot down, whereas virtually right from the beginning people seem to shoot down shit right away in Black Ops. It's good if you're on their team, not so good if it's your chopper. :lol

Ironically a lot less people seem to take care packages from you in this one, even though the game actually encourages it. Whereas in MW2 people always seemed to steal your packages when they had the chance. Maybe Black Ops just has a better community.

-viper-

Banned
Black Ops is non stop action. It's fun and it's frantic. It's like the Transformers of the video games. It's fucking cool.

The music, the set pieces and the style is fantastic. It as the 'blockbuster hollywood' feel and I love it. I've played Halo Reach and that was pretty damn good, but Black Ops IMO is fantastic and is much more memorable. I have no desire to replay Reach, but I'd be happy to go through Black Ops again.

You feel like a badass when you're playing Black Ops. The scripted cinematic sequences are awesome. I loved it when you jumped off the cliff to go in free fall and then parachute. I loved the SR71 Blackbird navigation and the gameplay sequences in between. Frankly there are too many set pieces to name and they're all so good.

Sure it's linear, but so is Uncharted 2. Both games are very similar in their styles to be honest. Black Ops is just an epic experience. But you can probably guess why I love Black Ops so much - it's a 'cinematic' game. Much like Uncharted 2.

I know a lot would laugh at me, but honestly, this is easily the best Call Of Duty game I have played and the best FPS of 2010. The respawning A.I. and general A.I. shittyness sucks, but when you play the game on hardened, it's a fucking blast.

Top marks to Treyarch for delivering an awesome campaign.

-viper- said:
Black Ops is non stop action. It's fun and it's frantic. It's like the Transformers of the video games. It's fucking cool.

The music, the set pieces and the style is fantastic. It as the 'blockbuster hollywood' feel and I love it. I've played Halo Reach and that was pretty damn good, but Black Ops IMO is fantastic and is much more memorable. I have no desire to replay Reach, but I'd be happy to go through Black Ops again.

You feel like a badass when you're playing Black Ops. The scripted cinematic sequences are awesome. I loved it when you jumped off the cliff to go in free fall and then parachute. I loved the SR71 Blackbird navigation and the gameplay sequences in between. Frankly there are too many set pieces to name and they're all so good.

Sure it's linear, but so is Uncharted 2. Both games are very similar in their styles to be honest. Black Ops is just an epic experience. But you can probably guess why I love Black Ops so much - it's a 'cinematic' game. Much like Uncharted 2.

I know a lot would laugh at me, but honestly, this is easily the best Call Of Duty game I have played and the best FPS of 2010. The respawning A.I. and general A.I. shittyness sucks, but when you play the game on hardened, it's a fucking blast.

Black Ops is a movie.

-viper- said:

Good lord, I don't even know where to begin. But did you seriously compare it being awesome like a movie in comparison to Transformers? :lol

jedimike

_Alkaline_ said:
People shoot down things a lot quicker in this game. Only later on in MW2's lifespan did the majority of killstreaks get shot down, whereas virtually right from the beginning people seem to shoot down shit right away in Black Ops. It's good if you're on their team, not so good if it's your chopper. :lol

Ironically a lot less people seem to take care packages from you in this one, even though the game actually encourages it. Whereas in MW2 people always seemed to steal your packages when they had the chance. Maybe Black Ops just has a better community.

I think the change in "gamesmanship" can all be boiled down to the change in killstreak rewards. MW2 was designed to encourage selfish gameplay.

Like I mentioned earlier... I have seen ZERO boosters in Black Ops

-viper-

Banned
May I ask why all of you appear to have an intense dislike of Black Ops? What are it's flaws?

The overall style of the campaign is superb.

Read my points - can you not understand why it makes sense that I like Black Ops?

-viper- said:
May I ask why all of you appear to have an intense dislike of Black Ops? What are it's flaws?

The overall style of the campaign is superb.
It's flaws is that it's more of a movie than an actual game.

I would understand if Treyarch decided to become a movie studio. I finished the campaign recently, and I don't remember anything about it other than some series of scripted sequences. There aren't any fun or stand-out gameplay moments.

jedimike

-viper- said:

I'm not going to bag on you for enjoying the campaign like others here are doing. It was a lot of fun despite some frustration points on veteran.

That being said, I enjoyed Halo: Reach more for the super story and great gameplay. I also enjoyed Medal of Honor. Out of all the FPS campaigns I played and finished this year, Black Ops is #3 on my list. I may have listed it higher if I played on something other than veteran, but the AI on veteran was just ridiculous. Team members didn't do shit and the enemies would ignore them and gun right for you.

While I dislike both campaigns with a passion, I've found Reach much more memorable. Only thing that stood out to me in Black Ops was the Skydive off the mountain. Thought that was pretty badass.

jedimike said:
I'm not going to bag on you for enjoying the campaign like others here are doing. It was a lot of fun despite some frustration points on veteran.

That being said, I enjoyed Halo: Reach more for the super story and great gameplay. I also enjoyed Medal of Honor. Out of all the FPS campaigns I played and finished this year, Black Ops is #3 on my list. I may have listed it higher if I played on something other than veteran, but the AI on veteran was just ridiculous. Team members didn't do shit and the enemies would ignore them and gun right for you.
I don't think people are bagging on him for liking the campaign but rather for him saying Black Ops has a better campaign than Reach. Which is absurd to the point of insanity.

I thought the campaign was really fun. I loved how cheesy/self aware it became with the sunglasses and that last "America: Fuck Yeah!" moment.

Dax01 said:
I don't think people are bagging on him for liking the campaign but rather for him saying Black Ops has a better campaign than Reach. Which is absurd to the point of insanity.
Not really. Both campaigns are terrible for entirely different reasons.

TacticalFox88 said:
Not really. Both campaigns are terrible for entirely different reasons.

Reach certainly gets monotonous after a while, but I'd hardly call it terrible. I wouldn't call the Blops campaign terrible either. They're both executed well, with great production values and fairly interesting stories. But neither truly innovates; they're just the next step in their style of gameplay which we've seen for years.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
My problem with Black Ops is that it's like having sex with hooker. There's no feeling to it. It's just... blah. I'm not talking about just the scripted events but the actual game play. You shoot at the enemies and there's no real feedback. There's no satisfaction to it. Most encounters involve a bunch of enemies clustered in a hallway and you just close your eyes and shoot. A beautiful woman can be quite boring if she just lies there with no emotion.

In Gears the feedback is so amazing. Same with Reach. The action is fast and furious but you feel every kill. Every kill--even the lowest enemies--means something. There's no one thing that makes them better. It's the sum of all the little things: the way the enemies react to the bullets, AI, weapon design. There's just a feeling to it. I'm not describing it properly, hopefully others who feel the same can articulate it better.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
RSTEIN said:
My problem with Black Ops is that it's like having sex with hooker. There's no feeling to it. It's just... blah. I'm not talking about just the scripted events but the actual game play. You shoot at the enemies and there's no real feedback. There's no satisfaction to it. Most encounters involve a bunch of enemies clustered in a hallway and you just close your eyes and shoot. A beautiful woman can be quite boring if she just lies there with no emotion.
You're exactly right. The guns felt like shit in the campaign because the enemies were nothing more than bullet sponges. They literally don't even react. The campaign does a lot of things that, in a game released in 2010, should be inexcusable, but this is one of the big ones. Killing and blowing shit up is barely even fun, and that's such a hard thing to fuck up.

iNvid02

vatstep said:
You're exactly right. The guns felt like shit in the campaign because the enemies were nothing more than bullet sponges. They literally don't even react. The campaign does a lot of things that, in a game released in 2010, should be inexcusable, but this is one of the big ones. Killing and blowing shit up is barely even fun, and that's such a hard thing to fuck up.

MaHKK.jpg

i just wanted to quote you because im about to start watching episode 1 of breaking bad, and i think thats the guy off it, right? :lol

back on topic, black ops is shit imo. im just fed up of the series as a whole. played 2 missions from the story before i went to MP, which i admit was fun for a few weeks, now i hate it with a passion .

my copy is already up for sale, i used to rely on COD as a game that would help me last until those big new releases but screw it

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
divisionbyzorro said:
Reach certainly gets monotonous after a while, but I'd hardly call it terrible. I wouldn't call the Blops campaign terrible either. They're both executed well, with great production values and fairly interesting stories. But neither truly innovates; they're just the next step in their style of gameplay which we've seen for years.

The one thing Reach has going for it is fan service, it comes in spades. Blops has some very good fan service too, but not on the same level.

It's all really a moot point though.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
TacticalFox88 said:
Are you a masochist? There is no way in hell I would put up with Reachms bullshit on legendary.

It actually wasn't a hassle at all, not until Exodus, and the very end that is. It's very manageable, and at least it doesn't have infinite waves.

Everything is easily handled if you know how to take it.

hamchan

Yeah I played on Heroic and thought it was the hardest Halo game I've played. I wouldn't even attempt Legendary, so congrats to you for finishing it.

Top Bottom