• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

-viper-

Banned
RSTEIN said:
My problem with Black Ops is that it's like having sex with hooker. There's no feeling to it. It's just... blah. I'm not talking about just the scripted events but the actual game play. You shoot at the enemies and there's no real feedback. There's no satisfaction to it. Most encounters involve a bunch of enemies clustered in a hallway and you just close your eyes and shoot. A beautiful woman can be quite boring if she just lies there with no emotion.

In Gears the feedback is so amazing. Same with Reach. The action is fast and furious but you feel every kill. Every kill--even the lowest enemies--means something. There's no one thing that makes them better. It's the sum of all the little things: the way the enemies react to the bullets, AI, weapon design. There's just a feeling to it. I'm not describing it properly, hopefully others who feel the same can articulate it better.
Yes, that is a fair point - the gunplay in Call Of Duty isn't great - it's average at best.. But the overall execution of the campaign in my eyes is just superb.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
I honestly think i am going to throw my xbox into my tv whilst playing this on veteran.

So stupid. Getting instantly killed by someone you can't see isn't fun. Getting horrible checkpoints also isn't fun. Enemies that spawn within a meter of me aren't fun. This isn't fun. Yet.. I keep trying.

-viper-

Banned
user_nat said:
I honestly think i am going to throw my xbox into my tv whilst playing this on veteran.

So stupid. Getting instantly killed by someone you can't see isn't fun. Getting horrible checkpoints also isn't fun. Enemies that spawn within a meter of me aren't fun. This isn't fun. Yet.. I keep trying.
How much harder is the game on veteran than hardened? Vietnam pissed me off on hardened. I can't imagine what it must be like on vet. Everything else has been 'ok'. Only a few annoying segments here and there.

-viper- said:
How much harder is the game on veteran than hardened? Vietnam pissed me off on hardened. I can't imagine what it must be like on vet. Everything else has been 'ok'. Only a few annoying segments here and there.

I've learned my lesson with Call of Duty games, and I only ever play them on normal. Because the gameplay in CoD is relatively straightforward, the only way they can make it more difficult is to make it cheap, which takes the joy out of it. And for what; achievement points? I can live without those.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Call of Duty on Vet is more akin to a puzzle game where each area has a solution you must figure out to survive. Any other way leads to death. I kind of enjoy it at times for some strange reason.

I actually beat W@W on veteran on PC where there aren't any achievements. I'm two levels awa from completing MW1 (still no achievements), only have a couple 3 star Spec-ops left in MW2 and I will eventually beat this one too. I will make that first Nam level my bitch.

Magik said:
WTF is wrong with this game on the PS3? I've had it lock up over 6 times last night at the map loading screen.

I've had that happen a few times. I'm also running into a lot of framerate issues. It's constantly getting me killed by enemies magically appearing in front of me even though I have full bars and everything just looks choppy.

Had a pretty bad lag/framerate issue last night in multiple games. It would eventually sort itself out but it was happening to my entire party. 360 version. Hoping that doesn't keep happening today

Been playing the PC version for about a day now.
Excellent MP and okay SP.

but...

lol WTF is up with the performance!?
I already set multiGPU to 0 and multithread to 1 in config files, but performance is still so damn random not to mention there's no difference in performance between 720p and 1080p.
Any other recommendations?

-viper-

Banned
divisionbyzorro said:
I've learned my lesson with Call of Duty games, and I only ever play them on normal. Because the gameplay in CoD is relatively straightforward, the only way they can make it more difficult is to make it cheap, which takes the joy out of it. And for what; achievement points? I can live without those.
Yeah the infinately respawning A.I. and the fact they snipe you from a mile away, and only you, would probably deter me from trying and finishing veteran.

I'd rather see them implement some real A.I. where it's challenging but fair i.e. Killzone 2 Elite mode (though the last level is anything but fair :p)

I've only just got an internet connection back to hook my ps3 to after a cple of month long hiatus, played MP for a 1/2 dozen hours. Decent overall. The newess factor helps a lot. It's nice to have some new maps and weapons, although map design is several steps below that in MW2 imo. Also, the way lag is handled feels noticeably sloppier than it used to. With full green bars, i get way too often the wtf-i-just-unloaded-a-full-clip-in-his-ass-he-just-turned-around-and-one-shot-me scenario.
Also, i kinda wish dev would fucking stop encouraging camping. Cameras, motion sensors, claymores... i mean give it a fucking rest already.
ALSO, i fucking hate RC cars.

But yeah, game is fun. Which my neighbors would probably be surprised to read, given my incessant bitching, yelling, cursing, swearing, crying, threatening to pee on tv, etc.

Mileena

Banned
Dax01 said:
Okay. The AK74u needs to be nerfed. That thing is better at medium ranges that most assault rifles.
As it should.

CoD4: MP5 was overpowered
WaW: MP40 was overpowered
MW2: UMP was overpowered
BO: 74u is overpowered

It's good to have at least one SMG that can hang with ARs or else nobody would ever touch them. Seriously, the AK74u getting nerfed would just make me stop playing this game. It's already in a terrible state as it is with all the ridiculous lag.

Magik said:
WTF is wrong with this game on the PS3? I've had it lock up over 6 times last night at the map loading screen.
and this too, happens to me at least once a play session. Treyarch are such awful devs.

rezuth

Fistwell said:
I've only just got an internet connection back to hook my ps3 to after a cple of month long hiatus, played MP for a 1/2 dozen hours. Decent overall. The newess factor helps a lot. It's nice to have some new maps and weapons, although map design is several steps below that in MW2 imo. Also, the way lag is handled feels noticeably sloppier than it used to. With full green bars, i get way too often the wtf-i-just-unloaded-a-full-clip-in-his-ass-he-just-turned-around-and-one-shot-me scenario.
Also, i kinda wish dev would fucking stop encouraging camping. Cameras, motion sensors, claymores... i mean give it a fucking rest already.
ALSO, i fucking hate RC cars.

But yeah, game is fun. Which my neighbors would probably be surprised to read, given my incessant bitching, yelling, cursing, swearing, crying, threatening to pee on tv, etc.
Use it against them, I often play a rush class with motion sensors in camping spots. Gives me an edge in the battle against them. They also limited claymores which does anything but encourage camping. You can also use jammers against campers and camera. I agree that camping is something rather awful but its a legit playstyle and if you are a good player its easy to counter.

corkscrewblow said:
and this too, happens to me at least once a play session. Treyarch are such awful devs.
Makes me feel better. Game froze on me about 4 times in a 3 hour session tonight. I thought my PS3 was dying.

rezuth said:
Use it against them, I often play a rush class with motion sensors in camping spots. Gives me an edge in the battle against them. They also limited claymores which does anything but encourage camping. You can also use jammers against campers and camera. I agree that camping is something rather awful but its a legit playstyle and if you are a good player its easy to counter.
Yeah well anything short of glitching is legitimate to some extent. It is just SO fucking tiresome. "Yeah, prone for 2 minutes in the grass waiting for my ass to get in front of your cross-hairs, your mom must be sooo proud of you."
Regarding claymores, never used them much in mw2, but didn't you have to choose between some nades and them? Feels like that whole "equipment" slot is dedicated to camp assists.

rezuth

Fistwell said:
Makes me feel better. Game froze on me about 4 times in a 3 hour session tonight. I thought my PS3 was dying.

Yeah well anything short of glitching is legitimate to some extent. It is just SO fucking tiresome. "Yeah, prone for 2 minutes in the grass waiting for my ass to get in front of your cross-hairs, your mom must be sooo proud of you."
Regarding claymores, never used them much in mw2, but didn't you have to choose between some nades and them? Feels like that whole "equipment" slot is dedicated to camp assists.
I don't remember if that is so but you could carry two of those and with scavenger you could refill them, which made it just a joke. They have nerfed it in that regard, just removing it would be a bit negative as its a good defense measure. Just use hacker or keep better attention if you keep running into them.

jedimike

Fistwell said:
It's nice to have some new maps and weapons, although map design is several steps below that in MW2 imo.

I thought the maps were better than MW2... they are at least on par. What specifically makes you think they are several steps down?

Fistwell said:

In MW2 you could have two claymores out and keep getting more with scavenger. In Blops, you only get ONE claymore... that's it. In addition, Treyarch gives you the jammer which disables all equipment and of course you can run with hacker to see everything. Camping in Black Ops is a terrible strategy. Because of the map design, there is always more than one entrance to positions and having one claymore means you can only block one entrance for a limited amount of time. In short, Blops is a terrible game for campers.

Mileena

Banned
Yea that's another issue, I'm getting real tired of these maps. Overall I'd say they're better than MW2 but that's really not saying much at all.

Great:
Firing Range

Horrible:
WMD
Havana
Hanoi

Decent at best:
everything else

Bring on the map pack so I can get it for free through PSN sharing. Thanks!

jedimike said:
I thought the maps were better than MW2... they are at least on par. What specifically makes you think they are several steps down?
That's kind of a cop out, but it's hard to pin point. Overall feeling of the maps. They feel less interesting, more patchworky, more waw that mw2. Sorry can't do better than that. On the positive side, there's a little less clutter to stumble onto when in the heart of a firefight. But they just feel kinda bland and uninspired to me.

jedimike said:
In MW2 you could have two claymores out and keep getting more with scavenger. In Blops, you only get ONE claymore... that's it. In addition, Treyarch gives you the jammer which disables all equipment and of course you can run with hacker to see everything. Camping in Black Ops is a terrible strategy. Because of the map design, there is always more than one entrance to positions and having one claymore means you can only block one entrance for a limited amount of time. In short, Blops is a terrible game for campers.
Regarding claymores, you can get get a second one from ammo crates. And, ok, i didn't know they had adjusted the scavenger thing, that's nice. My bitching was more about the overall equipment category rather than claymores in particular.

I can play on all the maps, regardless of whether I enjoy them tbh. I do find that Firing Range tends to bring out the spawn problems which I find really annoying. I often spawn in B2 and get killed straight away by guys holding the rooftop of the house. Other than Radiation there is no map that I truly despise, which wasn't the case for MW2.

Xux

corkscrewblow said:
As it should.

CoD4: MP5 was overpowered
WaW: MP40 was overpowered
MW2: UMP was overpowered
BO: 74u is overpowered

It's good to have at least one SMG that can hang with ARs or else nobody would ever touch them. Seriously, the AK74u getting nerfed would just make me stop playing this game. It's already in a terrible state as it is with all the ridiculous lag.

Yeah, they should buff the other SMGs to be a three hit kill up close, too. And either lower the Uzi's recoil or make it do 50-40 or something like that.

jedimike

Fistwell said:
That's kind of a cop out, but it's hard to pin point. Overall feeling of the maps. They feel less interesting, more patchworky, more waw that mw2. Sorry can't do better than that. On the positive side, there's a little less clutter to stumble onto when in the heart of a firefight. But they just feel kinda bland and uninspired to me.

Fair enough... personally, I like lots of elevation changes and site lines. Favela was one of my favorite MW2 maps, and many of the Black Ops maps have those great site lines and elevation changes. I thought the map design in Black Ops was superior, but it's probably due to the fact that Blops just has more maps I really like and none that I hate.

rezuth

corkscrewblow said:
Yea that's another issue, I'm getting real tired of these maps. Overall I'd say they're better than MW2 but that's really not saying much at all.

Great:
Firing Range

Horrible:
WMD
Havana
Hanoi

Decent at best:
everything else

Bring on the map pack so I can get it for free through PSN sharing. Thanks!
Hanoi is awesome :)

Accidentus

Neo Member
Have they said anything more on their supposed nerf to the 74U and the G11. I remember them discussing it a while ago but I haven't heard anything since.

Magik

Tkawsome said:
I've had that happen a few times. I'm also running into a lot of framerate issues. It's constantly getting me killed by enemies magically appearing in front of me even though I have full bars and everything just looks choppy.

Ugh.. don't get me started on the framerate issues and the HORRIBLE netcode. So many rage inducing moments because of that shit.

In regards to the AK74u being overpowered; its only overpowered because the rest of the SMGs are GARBAGE! Instead of nerfing the AK74u they should be increasing the power of the other SMGs to balance things out.

Scarecrow

how many spy planes can be up at one time? Like, if everyone on every team had spy and counter spy planes set up and got a few kills. Is there a limit?

Scarecrow said:
how many spy planes can be up at one time? Like, if everyone on every team had spy and counter spy planes set up and got a few kills. Is there a limit?

No limit. The more spy planes, the faster the refresh rate of the mini-map.

Jhoan

My brother got this game last weekend, so I've beaten it on Normal, gotten a good chunk of the achievements and am now on my Veteran run. The SP is definitely getting stale and there's something about killing enemies in this game that doesn't feel right and satisfying like say chainsawing a Locust in the Gears series like RStein pointed out, although I do enjoy seeing limbs fly off when I pop enemies with a shotgun, but the animations look the same from the previous games, and knifing as always, never feels satisfying.

Storywise, it was decent although Sam Worthington can't for the life of him hide his Aussie accent throughout the game, so it takes away the sense of immersion and belief so I always assume that it's an Aussie-American who's a CIA agent, or that maybe all that f'ed up stuff that happened to him changed his American accent to an Australian accent. The intel in this game is a lot easier to spot, so that's cool and there's a hell of a lot more vehicle sections in this game than in MW1&2 (only other COD games I've played), and for the most part, they were good, although controls felt slippery and loose.

As for Veteran in this game, it's not as generous with checkpoints as MW2 is, so that's annoying and of course, infinite respawns and grenade spams from time to time makes this game as bad as MW1 Veteran and this is coming from a person who beat MW1 and 2 on Veteran including the Mile High Club which was the most frustrating stage I've ever played. I'm currently up to The Defector on Veteran and for advice on Khe Sahn on Veteran, Youtube is the best tool available for getting through Veteran and I used it to get through COD4 on Veteran which helped out immensely.

Multiplayer's pretty decent, very meticulously done in this game with stats, emblems and whatnot so I give props to Treyarch on that. I've played a few games with Meus Renaissance and couple of other GAFfers and it was pretty fun. My least favorite map has to be Nuketown because it reminds me of Rust from MW2, especially for modes like HQ and Domination and it's extremely annoying how a HQ game quickly turns into a Team Deathmatch on that map. The other annoying thing is definitely the Remote Control car, everything else I could more or less tolerate including the Attack Dogs which are easy to pick off. I'm at level 13 at the moment, but if anyone's down for some MP then send me an invite or alternately, I'll usually be playing Meus Renaissance. I'll be down for anything except maybe S&D which I'm not a fan of, although I'm playing HQ, Demolition here and there, Domination and Mercenary Team Death match from time to time.

Xux said:
And either lower the Uzi's recoil or make it do 50-40 or something like that.

The Uzi just needs some decent iron sights. I can almost play as well with a slienced uzi as I did in CoD4, but the Iron sights are just terrible, so I either rely on steady aim hipfire or just hope to god I hit what I aim at with the iron sights.

and the MP5 was never overpowered in CoD4. The P90 was what everyone used.

Jipan said:
The other annoying thing is definitely the Remote Control car, everything else I could more or less tolerate including the Attack Dogs which are easy to pick off.

My current favorite class is the AK47 + Extended Mags, Python + Speed Reloader, Flak Jacket, Sleight of Hand Pro, Marathon Pro. And one of the best things about this class is saying "fuck you" to all the RC-XDs coming my way. :lol

Mileena

Banned
TestOfTide said:
it's not like the AK74 is in this game. The MP5 had some really high recoil that made it useless at long range. the P90 and M16 were much more annoying in CoD4
aaaaand the P90 had far more recoil at a distance so I don't see where you're coming from. P90 = great at close range, MP5 = great overall, M16 = broken as fuck. Most of the maps had a ton of CQC (which is why they're still the best maps in a CoD game) so maybe that's why you're over exaggerating the P90.

The M.O.B

THIS GAME, THIS STUPID GAME, getting sniped by a dude who fell into second chance mode is @$%@#$@# STUPID!

How completely dumb does Treyarch have to be to let this crap slide.

I come back to this game after a week away from it and this happens, such BS.

/rant

corkscrewblow said:
aaaaand the P90 had far more recoil at a distance so I don't see where you're coming from. P90 = great at close range, MP5 = great overall, M16 = broken as fuck. Most of the maps had a ton of CQC (which is why they're still the best maps in a CoD game) so maybe that's why you're over exaggerating the P90.
I play cod4 almost daily. the mp5 has more recoil at long rage, the P90 destroys it, if you don't believe me, just play cod4.

Top Bottom