• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

divisionbyzorro said:
That only works in a world without killstreak rewards.

Fair enough, but I'm approaching this from the perspective that a dead player's bullets should remain deadly. If someone gets off enough shots to kill you (whether they subsequently die or fall into second chance) then you should suffer the consequences imo.

PalaceBrother said:
Fair enough, but I'm approaching this from the perspective that a dead player's bullets should remain deadly. If someone gets off enough shots to kill you (whether they subsequently die or fall into second chance) then you should suffer the consequences imo.

Sure, but the game should be consistent. It doesn't work that way when you don't have second chance, so it shouldn't when you do.

divisionbyzorro said:
Sure, but the game should be consistent. It doesn't work that way when you don't have second chance, so it shouldn't when you do.

Unless I'm missing something, I would argue that it is consistent. Bullets disappear when you kill someone, but if they fall into second chance you haven't killed them. That's the whole benefit of the perk.

cameltoe

Last night was by far the worst for me since launch. The framerate (even when not hosting) was horrible.....now the game has this stuttering issue where I am pausing every now and again.....Time to give it a rest for a bit..... (360 BTW)

yoopoo

Banned
So I tried the AK47U since everyone uses it...for a SMG it does have amazing range and barely any recoil with the grip...it does seem like the best run and gun weapon. But I hate using it.

On the complete opposite side, I went to M60 wit the grip after a long while and had incredible games. Scored 3 choppers yesterday. :O

Presco

tsigo said:
I saw this on my 4GB slim when the 4GB flash drive was full and my 8GB USB stick was almost full (I had like maybe 600MB free between the two of them). Try clearing space if you're almost out. Haven't seen it since I got my 250GB drive.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I am using the 250 GB drive (Reach 360). I've got tons of space but maybe I need to clear the cache or something. Will try tonight. At first I thought it was maybe the weird slowdown reported a couple of days ago but since the other person I was playing with didn't experience it I figured it must be something else.

Presco

cameltoe said:
Last night was by far the worst for me since launch. The framerate (even when not hosting) was horrible.....now the game has this stuttering issue where I am pausing every now and again.....Time to give it a rest for a bit..... (360 BTW)

Just saw your post...same thing with me yesterday on the 360. I thought my console was breaking.

Freezie KO said:
Another comment Re: Second Chance. I totally get why they're going to switch the Kill/Assist points on SC. My only wonder is if this actually discourages "teamwork." The way it is now, your greed in wanting the kill actually promotes teamwork by ganging up on Second Chancers and getting them out of the game as fast as possible. If they change it, I don't know if people are going to make it their duty just for that assist. The problem there is that the Second Chance user might have a better chance of revival because the CoD Killstreak Principle Of Greed says that you probably don't want to reveal your position just for some worthless assist points. Just a thought.
I dont think the average player will necessarily be aware of it. They'll see something moving, they'll shoot in its general direction.

wud

Neo Member
DRE Fei said:
AK74u is not the problem with this game. The problem with the game is GHOST GHOST GHOST GHOST GHOST GHOST everywhere I fucking turn. The slow pace of black ops will eventually be its downfall if things keep going the way they are. Right now the game is very one dimensional. You'd think the removal of stopping power and jugg would add some variety to the game, but nothing in the 1st tier competes with ghost, and hacker is a must in the 3rd tier due to motion sensors/claymores. For the second tier do you think I'm gonna use anything but sleight of hand with all this second chance bullshit and shitty hit detection? Hell no. They need to nerf the fuck out of ghost and the motion sensor, otherwise the game will be unbearable a few months from now.

this

It's going to get more and more apparent over the next couple of months but Ghost with Sleight of hand will be THE go to class for everyone which will destroy the pace of the game and make the spy plane utterly useless, all they have to do is move the perks around a bit

DRE Fei

Guys, I'm referring to TDM exclusively here since I don't play many other modes just to be clear.

I rush when I use ghost(since, IMO the best counter to ghost is ghost), but most people camp with it. That's what makes this game boring. Firing range is the only map I can stand anymore. It's the only one besides nuketown that doesn't have such a slow pace to the matches.

If flak jacket was a true counter to the RC car, then I'd say the game was more balanced, but the majority of the time I get killed by them. Flak jacket is awesome outside of the RC car bullshit though. And for the people saying scavenger, you must be joking. Dual mags almost eliminates the need for scavenger in this game, and if I run out of ammo I can just pick up another weapon. Hardline is nice, but to me it's only good for high streaks which are very weak in this game. Lightweight is a joke and shouldn't even be a perk. The smgs should just naturally give you the speed boost that lightweight gives. IMO the average xbox live player isn't going to choose lightweight in TDM when there's the almighty ghost and less mighty flak jacket.

I think the best way to speed this game up is to allow the killstreaks to build other killstreaks again. As it stands right now, you work your ass off for a chopper gunner and it gets shot down within seconds by a ghost pro. It's not even worth it anymore. I just use blackbird a lot now.

DRE Fei said:
Guys, I'm referring to TDM exclusively here since I don't play many other modes just to be clear.

I rush when I use ghost(since, IMO the best counter to ghost is ghost), but most people camp with it. That's what makes this game boring. Firing range is the only map I can stand anymore. It's the only one besides nuketown that doesn't have such a slow pace to the matches.

If flak jacket was a true counter to the RC car, then I'd say the game was more balanced, but the majority of the time I get killed by them. Flak jacket is awesome outside of the RC car bullshit though. And for the people saying scavenger, you must be joking. Dual mags almost eliminates the need for scavenger in this game, and if I run out of ammo I can just pick up another weapon. Hardline is nice, but to me it's only good for high streaks which are very weak in this game. Lightweight is a joke and shouldn't even be a perk. The smgs should just naturally give you the speed boost that lightweight gives. IMO the average xbox live player isn't going to choose lightweight in TDM when there's the almighty ghost and less mighty flak jacket.

I think the best way to speed this game up is to allow the killstreaks to build other killstreaks again. As it stands right now, you work your ass off for a chopper gunner and it gets shot down within seconds by a ghost pro. It's not even worth it anymore. I just use blackbird a lot now.

It sounds to me like your problem with the game is the pace of a typical TDM, not with the Ghost perk itself. And with that I agree. I hate playing TDM; it's slow and boring. Ground War TDM is tolerable since there are larger teams (and thus more encounters), but regular TDM...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

And Scavenger is not useless. I used to think that, but lately I've been doing some serious work with Scavenger Pro, Sleight of Hand Pro, and Marathon Pro, using an AK-47 w/Extended Mags. It's especially awesome in Demolition - triple sprays all over the place!

I like the "slower pace" of TDM. I see plenty of rushers, some "campers," snipers, and all sorts of different playtypes. Between the AK74u and the FAMAS, if you want to rush, go ahead and rush. The weapons are there.

I don't really have sympathy for someone who isn't willing to stop for a second to throw a flashbang into a room. People want to say the CoD games have no strategy, but if the game slows down long enough for people to use tactics, then players complain it's boring. I'm much happier going 14-0 because I played wisely than 30-10.

As for Scavenger, the problem with it is that you really have to tailor your class around it. But if you do, it's powerful. I use it with concussions, semtex, AK74u, crossbows with Scav/Warlord/Tac Mask. You can pretty much spam concussions and figure out where the enemy is from Tac Mask. Scav replenishes them as fast as you can throw them, and this is really the key to the class. You rarely have to go into an encounter with an enemy that isn't stunned already. Near infinite semtex is nice too, even if you're just spacing your opponent. Then there's the AK74u with rapid fire and not having to worry about ammo. And crossbows + Warlord + Scav lets you have a strong secondary mini-grenade launcher. Each part of that class works with another piece, and it's my go-to class on Havana.

mr_boo

divisionbyzorro said:
It sounds to me like your problem with the game is the pace of a typical TDM, not with the Ghost perk itself. And with that I agree. I hate playing TDM; it's slow and boring. Ground War TDM is tolerable since there are larger teams (and thus more encounters), but regular TDM...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

And Scavenger is not useless. I used to think that, but lately I've been doing some serious work with Scavenger Pro, Sleight of Hand Pro, and Marathon Pro, using an AK-47 w/Extended Mags. It's especially awesome in Demolition - triple sprays all over the place!
I think Scavenger definitely has application with SMGs due to the the low mag capacity on some SMGs and the reliance on Extended Mags. With ARs, Dual Mags makes the Scavenger decision a bit more interesting. Scavenger also plays nicely with Warlord Pro.

DRE Fei

divisionbyzorro said:

The reason I play TDM mostly is because it's the most popular mode. I have my search preferences set to "locale only" because I'm sick and tired of getting screwed over by the horrible matchmaking in this game. Even with that setting enabled, this game's 3 bar indicator tells nothing but lies. In an ideal world I would only play the ground war playlist, but that's a nightmare. This game lags even when you're the host.

Of course TDM has always been one of the weaker modes, but I really think it will be unbearable less than 6 months from now. I've been playing COD solo for the last 3 years and I've never been this bored with TDM before. Ghost camping has ruined TDM! Maybe I should just take my beatings by going against the full parties I run into in HQ or domination most of the time just for the sake of ranking up faster. That's probably my best bet.

mr_boo

DRE Fei said:
this game's 3 bar indicator tells nothing but lies. In an ideal world I would only play the ground war playlist, but that's a nightmare. This game lags even when you're the host.
PS3 Platform here, but I'm suprised you even try playing on 3-Bar connections. Like I said in a previous post, it's 4-Bar or nothing and even in 4-Bar connections, you'll get false positives. I'm just saying this cause I hope this helps out a bit with your frustrations regarding lag and BS deaths.

DRE Fei

mr_boo said:
PS3 Platform here, but I'm suprised you even try playing on 3-Bar connections. Like I said in a previous post, it's 4-Bar or nothing and even in 4-Bar connections, you'll get false positives. I'm just saying this cause I hope this helps out a bit with your frustrations regarding lag and BS deaths.
I agree with you, but if I sit around waiting for 4 bars all the time, I'll be waiting all day.

Freezie KO said:
I like the "slower pace" of TDM. I see plenty of rushers, some "campers," snipers, and all sorts of different playtypes. Between the AK74u and the FAMAS, if you want to rush, go ahead and rush. The weapons are there.

I don't really have sympathy for someone who isn't willing to stop for a second to throw a flashbang into a room. People want to say the CoD games have no strategy, but if the game slows down long enough for people to use tactics, then players complain it's boring. I'm much happier going 14-0 because I played wisely than 30-10.

I think that's what makes the game fun :) I'm going to rush around a corner every time instead of waiting for people simply because it is more fun for me. I don't care if I die at 10 with my dogs waiting because it is so much more satisfying getting that 11th kill rushing around the corner into the face of 5 guys mowing 4 of them down getting the dogs and then the fifth guy killing you. I usually play with my friends who are pretty good at the game and it's pretty much a race to get the kills. If you sit in the back waiting you will go 3-0 while the rest of us split the 72 kills.

cuevas said:
I think that's what makes the game fun :) I'm going to rush around a corner every time instead of waiting for people simply because it is more fun for me. I don't care if I die at 10 with my dogs waiting because it is so much more satisfying getting that 11th kill rushing around the corner into the face of 5 guys mowing 4 of them down getting the dogs and then the fifth guy killing you. I usually play with my friends who are pretty good at the game and it's pretty much a race to get the kills. If you sit in the back waiting you will go 3-0 while the rest of us split the 72 kills.

Which is all good by me. I'm not as good a player as you, but when I'm not stuck with 4 scrubs on my team, I can do pretty well. I think the TDM accommodates both our playstyles. I'm not going to sit in a room, and hopefully, I pick up more than a meager 3 kills. But, on the other hand, if I'm armed with my most used weapon, the M16, I'm not going to rush and engage people that are spraying the FAMAS by the hip.

Sometimes I'll rush for a change of pace, but I have my most fun playing support for the rushers on my team. Let them get their thirty kills. Often times, I find myself killing the high-scoring players by picking them off on the flanks, while the rushers on my team round up all the scrubs to get their air support and dogs, which in turn helps me.

Freezie KO said:
Which is all good by me. I'm not as good a player as you, but when I'm not stuck with 4 scrubs on my team, I can do pretty well. I think the TDM accommodates both our playstyles. I'm not going to sit in a room, and hopefully, I pick up more than a meager 3 kills. But, on the other hand, if I'm armed with my most used weapon, the M16, I'm not going to rush and engage people that are spraying the FAMAS by the hip.

Sometimes I'll rush for a change of pace, but I have my most fun playing support for the rushers on my team. Let them get their thirty kills. Often times, I find myself killing the high-scoring players by picking them off on the flanks, while the rushers on my team round up all the scrubs to get their air support and dogs, which in turn helps me.

If you like the m16, you'll love the g11.

cuevas said:
If you like the m16, you'll love the g11.

I unlocked it, and it definitely seems better for close quarters. I get so many Longshot medals with the M16 though, I'm a little wary to give it up because the M16 does more damage and has less dropoff than the G11, according to DenKirson's stats. I should probably give it a good try though.

X26

Banned
As far as setups go, there is defidentely much more uniformity in TDM. Since kills are the only objective, people go with the "best" setup and as such ghost + AK74u is what you'll see most often

As for the AK74, it needs to be balanced, barely anyone uses any other SMG (save for the mp5, which is my preference) since the ak is so much better, and if you look at people's combat records the AK74u showing up as their favorite weapon is extremely common

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
The more and more I play this game the more I am convinced that I am the only person who uses the M14. I fucking love it. :D

mr_boo

K2Valor said:
The more and more I play this game the more I am convinced that I am the only person who uses the M14. I fucking love it. :D
You're not the only person. I use the M14 as well (Warlord with RDS + Grip), though as of right now I think the FAL is better. With the M14, I can't hang with it's Iron Sights, thus the need for RDS. But with the FAL, you've got less recoil and the Irons are pretty good. Anyways, both guns are fun.

Note: M14/FAL arequite effective if you've got a solid 4-bar connection game...if you've got less than a solid 4-bar connection, you're at a big disadvantage against full auto weapons.

Magik

X26 said:
As far as setups go, there is defidentely much more uniformity in TDM. Since kills are the only objective, people go with the "best" setup and as such ghost + AK74u is what you'll see most often

As for the AK74, it needs to be balanced, barely anyone uses any other SMG (save for the mp5, which is my preference) since the ak is so much better, and if you look at people's combat records the AK74u showing up as their favorite weapon is extremely common

Nerfing the AK74 really isn't the solution to balancing out the SMGs when the biggest problem is that every SMG outside of the AK74 is just plain out weak in comparison. Some SMGs like the Mp5k needs a faster firing rate while others such as the Kiparis needs a larger standard ammo clip.

If it weren't for the AK74 being as good as it is, Black Ops would have been completely dominated by only Assault Rifles.

Had no clue until today that a sentry gun will take out enemy dogs. Was playing Domination on Firing Range and got a sentry gun in a care package. Had it setup near the big open space near the A flag looking towards C. Someone on the other team got dogs in their care package and then all of a sudden I was just hearing a crapload of bullet hits and there were 30 points showing up on my screen over and over. I guess whenever more dogs would spawn they'd run right by my sentry gun and then get mowed down! :lol

wud said:
this

It's going to get more and more apparent over the next couple of months but Ghost with Sleight of hand will be THE go to class for everyone which will destroy the pace of the game and make the spy plane utterly useless, all they have to do is move the perks around a bit

Are you really suggesting that people are going to avoid steady aim, scavenger, flak jacket, and warlord are going to be avoided?

And though it's not something everyone likes to use Hardened Pro's decreased flinching is very important for med-long range.

Lightweight Pro and Hardline Pro need buffs, but it's not like ghost and sleight of hand are requirements. It even is next to useless for certain weapons (M60, Stakeout, Sniper Rifles)

Freezie KO said:
Let them get their thirty kills. Often times, I find myself killing the high-scoring players by picking them off on the flanks
So rushing guns a blazing is "dirty"? Hiding in a dark corner, waiting for someone to land in front of you and shooting him in the back is your thing? ... i wish there was a way to filter servers based on playstyle, you're the kind of players i would avoid like the plague.

Fistwell said:
So rushing guns a blazing is "dirty"? Hiding in a dark corner, waiting for someone to land in front of you and shooting him in the back is your thing? ... i wish there was a way to filter servers based on playstyle, you're the kind of players i would avoid like the plague.

What the what? I said "thirty kills," not "dirty kills." I also said, "I'm not going to sit in a room." Here's the quote:

I'm not going to sit in a room, and hopefully, I pick up more than a meager 3 kills. But, on the other hand, if I'm armed with my most used weapon, the M16, I'm not going to rush and engage people that are spraying the FAMAS by the hip.

Sometimes I'll rush for a change of pace, but I have my most fun playing support for the rushers on my team. Let them get their thirty kills.

So... lern2read?

That's why I don't like TDM. Because you die so quickly in this game, there's no reason to move around the map much because of how much you put yourself in danger. But of course, if everybody played this way, the game would never end. So the game requires players to play poorly in order for the other players to have fun. Obviously this problem exists to varying degrees based on the map, but in general TDMs are just boring. Objective games focus player's attentions and force them to move around in order to complete objectives, and thus the action is much smoother and more intense.

Other shooters solve this problem by scattering weapons around the map, thus giving players objectives to go for even in pure DM gametypes. But in CoD, there is zero motivation to move from your home base, other than boredom and the desire to avoid a stalemate.

Quick question - you guys are saying TDM is slow paced - what modes do you guys play?

I get the feeling im missing out on an awesome mode simply because im not experimenting with the playlists.

divisionbyzorro said:
That's why I don't like TDM. Because you die so quickly in this game, there's no reason to move around the map much because of how much you put yourself in danger. But of course, if everybody played this way, the game would never end. So the game requires players to play poorly in order for the other players to have fun. Obviously this problem exists to varying degrees based on the map, but in general TDMs are just boring. Objective games focus player's attentions and force them to move around in order to complete objectives, and thus the action is much smoother and more intense.

Other shooters solve this problem by scattering weapons around the map, thus giving players objectives to go for even in pure DM gametypes. But in CoD, there is zero motivation to move from your home base, other than boredom and the desire to avoid a stalemate.

I agree with what you are saying, but I think Objective just gives campers an easy job of camping tbh. On TDM if they camp they will have to camp somewhere that people are going to run past - and to be honest its easy to anticipate all the camping spots. On Objective though you can get camped out by people watching the objective with no intention of ever going for it.

I play TDM and run and gun and go something like 25 - 5 pretty much consistantly - I get caught out by people using Ghost , but apart from that I find that because of my playstyle I usually do quite well and have a fairly action packed match.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Funny. I find many of the other game types to be too slow compared to TDM.

Although i have 400 and something score per minute in team death, which makes me fairly active i guess.

user_nat said:
Funny. I find many of the other game types to be too slow compared to TDM.

Although i have 400 and something score per minute in team death, which makes me fairly active i guess.

My friend actually mentioned something about score leaderboards, how do you know what your score per minuite is?

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
bobs99 ... said:
My friend actually mentioned something about score leaderboards, how do you know what your score per minuite is?
Either view the leader boards under your player card, or just press lobby leader board in any lobby. All game types are sorted by score per minute. There are weekly, monthly and all time scores.

TDM is great at the moment, with the Christmas noobs still playing it. Go into S&D however and you'll be up against much better players.

I'm enjoying HC CTF lately to play as sniper and just camp out all match. It's the only time I camp at all.

Top Bottom