• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

SumPog

Neo Member
I let my friend use my Steam account for a month and... well...
K/D: 0.5
Highest Killstreak: 1
Most used weapon: RPK

It's totally ruined *epic facepalm*

TacticalFox88 said:
Wish there was an achievement for that called "Hot Wheels"

Some sort of recognition would be nice! I was so far away that they probably didn't even notice why an RC Car just suddenly exploded in their vicinity. And they were random teammates too. I should get the Good Samaritan emblem.

SumPog said:

1?! How is that even possible? You'd think the law of averages would suggest he'd get a lucky double grenade kill at some point... :lol

Still, .5 is better than I thought he'd be with a 1 killstreak. I've seen much worse, the lowest being .28. What a spastic.

SumPog

Neo Member
3ur4zn said:
1?! How is that even possible? You'd think the law of averages would suggest he'd get a lucky double grenade kill at some point... :lol

Still, .5 is better than I thought he'd be with a 1 killstreak. I've seen much worse, the lowest being .28. What a spastic.

Yeah, I was baffled myself. I asked him why he sucks so much and he stubbornedly stated that he was amazing and had strategies for every game; go to the choke point with a LMG. I suppose some people just don't have the hand/eye co-ordination or reflexes to play cod properly because you'd imagine camping with an RPK could be an effective way with a high K/D. Nonetheless there are straight-out awful players out there, much worse. That 0.28 friend of yours sounds like a fantastic cod player and everything but wait until you hear about my 3rd prestige friend with 0.25 or something along those lines. He's so good at CoD that if we ever split-screen zombies he gets as much downs as kills!

Songbird

Prodigal Son
SumPog said:

That can't be right, I'm the worst at this game and managed a 6 kill - 0 death round the other day.

zAAGv.png

What is considered "average" k/d for a casual player?

SumPog

Neo Member
Thnikkaman said:
That can't be right, I'm the worst at this game and managed a 6 kill - 0 death round the other day.

zAAGv.png

What is considered "average" k/d for a casual player?

I think a fair k/d for a casual player would be under 1, although not by a large margin.

For a casual player who still has some general gaming skill, I'd say 0.75-1 is about right. That would mean they tend to go negative but break even or go positive from time to time. Inconsistent players generally go 1-1.5 and anything over 1.5 would represent a good level of skill and consistency.

K/D isn't an absolute measurement of skill though, especially when considering what kind of game mode they play. But it's about as good as indication as you can get - certainly better than W/L which is a complete joke given how many losing games you get chucked into. Not to mention getting a loss for every fucking disconnection (and there's a shitload of em in this game too). I'm amazed that my W/L is postive (1.47 with about 250 more wins than losses). I reckon I've got at least 50 losses purely from disconnections (and that would be low balling it).

snacknuts

we all knew her
I'm so horribly inconsistent at this game. With the exception of the occasional wager match to mix things up, I pretty much stick to Mercenary TDM. Last night I had a couple back-to-back games where I went 19-2 and 30-4, and then turned around and was at a K/D of ~1 for the next three or four games. I don't understand how some of you guys have such high K/D games, unless you're not playing TDM. I've tried some of the objective based gametypes, but they all seem like total clusterfucks of everyone just trying to rack up kills while ignoring the objectives, which enrages the shit out of me.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
_Alkaline_ said:
For a casual player who still has some general gaming skill, I'd say 0.75-1 is about right. That would mean they tend to go negative but break even or go positive from time to time. Inconsistent players generally go 1-1.5 and anything over 1.5 would represent a good level of skill and consistency.

K/D isn't an absolute measurement of skill though, especially when considering what kind of game mode they play. But it's about as good as indication as you can get - certainly better than W/L which is a complete joke given how many losing games you get chucked into. Not to mention getting a loss for every fucking disconnection (and there's a shitload of em in this game too). I'm amazed that my W/L is postive (1.47 with about 250 more wins than losses). I reckon I've got at least 50 losses purely from disconnections (and that would be low balling it).
I'm on PC if that makes any difference. No matchmaking (can't they drop me in a roughly even server?) but dedicated games are nice so no disconnects. There have been some very dodgy players recently though, knifing successfully at strange distances and knowing exactly which direction I'm approaching from. Probably just my imagination.

luoapp

Thnikkaman said:
I'm on PC if that makes any difference. No matchmaking (can't they drop me in a roughly even server?) but dedicated games are nice so no disconnects. There have been some very dodgy players recently though, knifing successfully at strange distances and knowing exactly which direction I'm approaching from. Probably just my imagination.

Motion sensor users:lol

DRE Fei

Thnikkaman said:
That's probably it, thanks. Does it alter the radar? I can't see that on killcam.
It doesn't alter their radar at all. It's the best equipment in the game.

The problem I have with the motion sensor is that it's much easier to use than it is to counter it. I think it should be a level 50 unlock or something, because it completely slows TDM down once everyone starts using it.

I've used hacker on every one of my classes since the beginning, but it feels like a grind to get the pro version since I'm prestiging all the time. I wish non-pro ninja was the counter to the motion sensor. Is there a way for them to patch something like that into the game at this point? This game will be in huge trouble once everyone starts using the motion sensor.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
DRE Fei said:
It doesn't alter their radar at all. It's the best equipment in the game.

The problem I have with the motion sensor is that it's much easier to use than it is to counter it. I think it should be a level 50 unlock or something, because it completely slows TDM down once everyone starts using it.

I've used hacker on every one of my classes since the beginning, but it feels like a grind to get the pro version since I'm prestiging all the time. I wish non-pro ninja was the counter to the motion sensor. Is there a way for them to patch something like that into the game at this point? This game will be in huge trouble once everyone starts using the motion sensor.
I have no problem with the sensor if it's short range like I think it is. What frustrated me with the players I talked about was how they sprinted around and suddenly stopped, pointed at a random corner and then I just happen to cross it. This is assault/sniper range, outside of AK74u effectiveness.

DRE Fei said:
It's short-ranged, but really effective at securing an area. I just think that it forces both the rushers and campers into a one dimensional playstyle. It makes the game slow and boring and more of a grind than I think it should be. I want to use marathon and ninja, but I'm at a disadvantage in TDM if I do. Also, many more people are using ghost now which is really annoying.
I was using Ghost and Ninja with the suppressed Spas-12 for a while, but I dropped it in favour of Flack Jacket and Hacker. Hardly anyone uses silencers anyway and in the matches where I bother to look behind myself I perform better anyway.

DRE Fei

Thnikkaman said:
I have no problem with the sensor if it's short range like I think it is. What frustrated me with the players I talked about was how they sprinted around and suddenly stopped, pointed at a random corner and then I just happen to cross it. This is assault/sniper range, outside of AK74u effectiveness.
It's short-ranged, but really effective at securing an area. I just think that it forces both the rushers and campers into a one dimensional playstyle. It makes the game slow and boring and more of a grind than I think it should be. I want to use marathon and ninja, but I'm at a disadvantage in TDM if I do. Also, many more people are using ghost now which is really annoying.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
So I hit 14th Prestige last night and anxiously hit the level to unlock Camo and purchase Gold for all my guns. I presumably thought that the cost was 10k per gold camo, and was disappointed by this because that's relatively easy to get. However, I never had concrete info on how much Gold camo actually costs until last night...

50,000 CP per weapon, which I think is fair to be honest. Pretty much means that by the time I'm 15th Prestige and actually start collecting golds and purchasing everything the game's got. I'll be spending the majority of my time in Wager matches, which I've got NO problem with lol

DRE Fei

LeMaximilian said:
So I hit 14th Prestige last night and anxiously hit the level to unlock Camo and purchase Gold for all my guns. I presumably thought that the cost was 10k per gold camo, and was disappointed by this because that's relatively easy to get. However, I never had concrete info on how much Gold camo actually costs until last night...

50,000 CP per weapon, which I think is fair to be honest. Pretty much means that by the time I'm 15th Prestige and actually start collecting golds and purchasing everything the game's got. I'll be spending the majority of my time in Wager matches, which I've got NO problem with lol
Do you at least get to keep the gold camo when you prestige? That's pretty fucked up if you don't. I'd be tempted to just stay at 14th.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
SumPog said:

I have a friend who bought Blops a few weeks ago. This guy... I think this is the first non-sports game he's played in about ten years, and probably his first FPS since GoldenEye (extremely casual gamer), and well, it really shows. After ten hours of play or so his K/D ratio is 0.13 -- and his most used weapon is the Dragunov (since he's clearly just using the default classes). I feel sort of bad; I mean, he's so clueless about this game that he doesn't realize that a sniper rifle is the LAST weapon he should be using. I guess I should give him a "tutorial" sometime, but I think he may have quit playing already. :lol

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
vatstep said:
I have a friend who bought Blops a few weeks ago. This guy... I think this is the first non-sports game he's played in about ten years, and probably his first FPS since GoldenEye (extremely casual gamer), and well, it really shows. After ten hours of play or so his K/D ratio is 0.13 -- and his most used weapon is the Dragunov (since he's clearly just using the default classes). I feel sort of bad; I mean, he's so clueless about this game that he doesn't realize that a sniper rifle is the LAST weapon he should be using. I guess I should give him a "tutorial" sometime, but I think he may have quit playing already. :lol

Man I wasn't nearly that bad when I bought MW the Summer after its release and I didn't even have a bunch of other noobs to play with.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
DRE Fei said:
Do you at least get to keep the gold camo when you prestige? That's pretty fucked up if you don't. I'd be tempted to just stay at 14th.

I have yet to purchase one but I believe it treats Gold the same as any other camo. Meaning, I'll test it when I've got a ton of cash by the end of this prestige and when I hit 15th I'll check. Otherwise, I won't be purchasing too many until 15th.

3ur4zn said:
How many days did it take to get to 14? I'm struggling to muster the motivation to prestige even once. :lol

depends on your skill level, I've seen people with more days played than me and they are a full prestige or two behind and they have like 90 score per minute in domination. :lol

X26

Banned
if someone can have fun even with a shit K/D than they're better off than most

I get mad when I do bad sometimes and feel like a tool afterwards because of it, and I have a 2.5

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
3ur4zn said:
How many days did it take to get to 14? I'm struggling to muster the motivation to prestige even once. :lol

8 1/2 days for me. On track to be done with it before 10 days total.

edit: also @ around 60,000 kills.

So I'm still on first prestige...with no desire to do it again. I still say prestiging was far more painful in WaW. Some utterly AWESOME weapons at the later levels.

Note to whoever does the next Call of Duty game:

If you're not going to use dedicated servers, just remove the knife and Last Stand/Second Chance. You cannot fix what will always be inherently broken in a host/client setting.

DRE Fei

TacticalFox88 said:
So I'm still on first prestige...with no desire to do it again. I still say prestiging was far more painful in WaW. Some utterly AWESOME weapons at the later levels.
Prestiging is less of a pain in the ass in this game because the perks aren't restricted by rank anymore. I basically just worry about sleight of hand pro and ghost pro most of the time. The leveling up is pretty fast too. If I really got attached to something like flak jacket pro or tac mask pro etc. I can see how it would be hard to give those up. Some of this pro shit is downright ridiculous.

I dunno, I always prestige because it just gets stale to me sitting at 50 and seeing all that bonus xp going to waste. It's like dead points basically. On the other hand, if I wasn't playing this game that often then I probably wouldn't prestige.

kuYuri

divisionbyzorro said:
Yep.

Sometimes I wonder why the RPK and Olympia were even included in this game.

Olympia needs to be buffed up. Remember the Ranger in MW2? I fucking love the Ranger, even without Akimbo. Does a ton of damage. Olympia needs to be more like that.

Rangers + Sleight of Hand = beast.

rezuth

divisionbyzorro said:
Yep.

Olympia is awesome with Sleight of Hand. I can seriously tear up the battlefield with that sucker.

divisionbyzorro said:
Yep.

Hey the Olympia is pretty damn good with sleight of hand (grr, beaten). It has the reach of the MW2 Spas(sadly not as powerful) but it gets the job done on close quarters levels. Just have to reload and have the two shots ready as many times as you can. :D I also dont really mind the RPK either, not a big fan of the HK. Although if I need to pick an LMG it would be the M60.

Dresden

Why bother using the Olympia when the Stakeout has better range, especially ADS, fires nearly as fast and holds more rounds? Or the Spas-12 silenced which also has damn good range, and is semi-auto.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I really don't like any of the shotguns; if I use one, I just end up going with a silenced SPAS. It still irks me that they're primary weapons again, but are completely nerfed compared to MW2.

vatstep said:
It still irks me that they're primary weapons again, but are completely nerfed compared to MW2.

Yep.

You give me MW2's shotguns, and I accept making them primary. But these pieces of shit? Ugh. I'd almost rather just use the Masterkey.

vatstep said:
I really don't like any of the shotguns; if I use one, I just end up going with a silenced SPAS. It still irks me that they're primary weapons again, but are completely nerfed compared to MW2.

wuuuut, I don't use shotguns but when I pick them up off the ground I always do work. If I was just going to sit in a small enclosed area that'd be my weapon of choice.

Wait. How can you like the HK-21 and hate the RPK? The RPk has higher recoil, but at least I can use dual mags for a decent reload and use Iron Sights that let me see stuff below the center.

SumPog

Neo Member
TestOfTide said:
Wait. How can you like the HK-21 and hate the RPK? The RPk has higher recoil, but at least I can use dual mags for a decent reload and use Iron Sights that let me see stuff below the center.

Well, they are both pretty bad let's leave it at that.

Call me crazy but I'm getting some massive PM63 love currently. It has a really nice vertical-rising recoil. Tends to get me a few headshots every now and then. :D

FerranMG

What do you lose when you prestige?

I guess all weapons unlocked, as well as all pro perks, etc., but do you lose also the earned CoD points?

Camos, emblem layers...?

What about challenges?

FerranMG said:
What do you lose when you prestige?

I guess all weapons unlocked, as well as all pro perks, etc., but do you lose also the earned CoD points?

Camos, emblem layers...?

What about challenges?

Everything apart from lifetime challenges, emblem layers, backgrounds and emblem parts.
I think that's everything.

Top Bottom