• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

FerranMG

MarshMellow96 said:
Everything apart from lifetime challenges, emblem layers, backgrounds and emblem parts.
I think that's everything.

So, my monies too?

This kinda sucks, guess I'll be spending more points in usless colore reticles from now on. :D

Thanks.

FerranMG

MarshMellow96 said:
And reticles! Forgot about those. Sorry =/

Nope, my bad, I meant that if there's no point in saving the codpoints for a later future, I'm not going to regret spending them in uselss things (ie, reticles :p), even if the reset after prestiging.

Thanks again. :)

tsigo

divisionbyzorro said:
Do you have to re-buy the Prestige Leaderboards each time? Or is that just a one-time purchase?

One-time.

FerranMG said:
Nope, my bad, I meant that if there's no point in saving the codpoints for a later future, I'm not going to regret spending them in uselss things (ie, reticles :p), even if the reset after prestiging.

Thanks again. :)

Right before you prestige spend all your points on emblems and backgrounds, since those carry over.

equil

Or you could go into a high roller wager match right before you prestige, and while you're in the lobby you should actually prestige so that if you win, you'll start out with a good amount of money.

divisionbyzorro said:
That works? :lol
Definitely, I did it on my last prestige. Doesn't really get you much other than the fact that once I was able to build my custom class I could afford to buy my claymore,semtex, and concussion grenades, all my perks and setup the guns with the attachments I wanted. I figure it only saved me an hour of playtime overall, but I guess if that money is just going to disappear anyhow once I prestige, I had no issue taking the gamble.

Search and destroy is a shit fest right now. I played a few matches and in most rounds people would sit in spawn with motion sensors and wait the whole round on OFFENSE. They would even pick up the bomb and run back and sit in spawn. Sometimes it was two guys sitting with motion sensors camping in one room. My favorite gametype ruined, sad day for me :(

vhfive

equil said:
Or you could go into a high roller wager match right before you prestige, and while you're in the lobby you should actually prestige so that if you win, you'll start out with a good amount of money.
:lol awesome I didn't even think of that. thanks I'm definitely goinig to do this when I prestige

DuckRacer

equil said:
I did that for my first prestige. Got into stick and stones. Was 2nd place with ten seconds to go.

Then someone tomahawked me.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Brian Fellows said:
Nice!

I'm going to have to try that.

I suck at wager matches though. But if I lose who cares you can't take the money with.

Yea, it doesn't hurt...until they eventually patch it. Funny how it's the only Wager matches that I really feel like something is on the line, :lol

kuYuri

cuevas said:
Search and destroy is a shit fest right now. I played a few matches and in most rounds people would sit in spawn with motion sensors and wait the whole round on OFFENSE. They would even pick up the bomb and run back and sit in spawn. Sometimes it was two guys sitting with motion sensors camping in one room. My favorite gametype ruined, sad day for me :(

As long as you got Hacker Pro, no Motion Sensors can pick you up. But yeah, that is some really noob shit.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Hmm...how long does it normally take for for a clip to get uploaded to Youtube from the 360 after you render something from your share? almost 24 hours and still nothing.., :\

Stantron

henhowc said:
Hmm...how long does it normally take for for a clip to get uploaded to Youtube from the 360 after you render something from your share? almost 24 hours and still nothing.., :\
Most of the time it takes less than an hour. Although it's taken over three days for me one time. Give it a little more time, it should eventually show up.

Nonelito

Neo Member
AK47u or Galil = Game over!

PS - just started playing it yesterday, so far loving Nuketown and the above mentioned weapons. Some of the maps seem to look similar to me :|. Also hating the damn campers in this game, I can't really understand why would someone stay prone in a corner, waiting and hoping that someone will pass their way.

buy teh haloz said:
I really hate the shoot 200 bullets into aircraft requirement of Hardened Pro. Such a stupid challenge.

Especially because, even when using Hardened Pro, I never try to shoot down aircraft with bullets. Sure, let me stare and fire blindly into the sky as I appear on your radar. Sounds like a plan.

Freezie KO said:
Especially because, even when using Hardened Pro, I never try to shoot down aircraft with bullets. Sure, let me stare and fire blindly into the sky as I appear on your radar. Sounds like a plan.

Not to mention it's still not like CoD4 when firing at the helicopter was actually effective. An entire RPD/M60 clip was enough to take down a chopper, but in this game I still have yet to take down a chopper with bullets.

TestOfTide said:
Not to mention it's still not like CoD4 when firing at the helicopter was actually effective. An entire RPD/M60 clip was enough to take down a chopper, but in this game I still have yet to take down a chopper with bullets.

I used the M60 to get that challenge, but, yeah, it's a stupid Pro chore. The worst for me is Marathon Pro though. I hate CTF.

I've had the game since launch, and I'm still level 50, zero prestige. I'm not giving up my Pros.

TestOfTide said:

Oh man, great memories. When I played with my buddies on CoD4, we would always switch over to our RPDs when we died with a chopper in the air. Choppers would melt like butter. :lol

TestOfTide said:

Even MW2 was easier than BO to take down choppers.

And if I'm not mistaken, despite getting hitmakers shooting at aircraft still lowers your accuracy %. :lol

Does having red dot on AK47u make it less effective? Like it does less dmg somehow?
I'm biggest newb around and never got more than 4 killstreak but I seem to do better without the red dot (dmg wise) can't really explain it.

Any advice? I'm lvl 21 and played MW2 for a bit, never got those high killstreaks and always die more than I kill. I watched some videos on youtube and it seems easy when others do it, but I can't do the same. My biggest problem is shooting at distance, I rarely kill anyone especially when they are moving but I get killed easily and it seems people are "spraying" ( they just fire not releasing mouse button)
Should I spray or should I burst fire?
What is your sensitivity? high or low?
Any other advice is more than welcome :)

Melhisedek said:
Does having red dot on AK47u make it less effective? Like it does less dmg somehow?
I'm biggest newb around and never got more than 4 killstreak but I seem to do better without the red dot (dmg wise) can't really explain it.

Any advice? I'm lvl 21 and played MW2 for a bit, never got those high killstreaks and always die more than I kill. I watched some videos on youtube and it seems easy when others do it, but I can't do the same. My biggest problem is shooting at distance, I rarely kill anyone especially when they are moving but I get killed easily and it seems people are "spraying" ( they just fire not releasing mouse button)

Firstly, stick to the normal iron sights with the 47u, they're excellent and a red dot is actually more intrusive.

You want to find parts of the map where the most action tends to take place, and then find a spot in these areas where you can take down the opposition easily whilst having avaliable cover for protection. This is known as a 'choke point' and it takes a bit of time to become accustomed to each map and know where they are, so don't fret. Also, never run into the middle of the action. Stick to the outsides of maps - this will allow for flanking and not being in enemy sights.

When shooting at a distance, try to tap the trigger/button (from the sounds of it you're playing on PC?) instead of holding it down. This minimises vertical kick (recoil) which means you'll hit the target more often. It's essential for long-range shooting, When it close or medium range, hold it down.

I'm on 8 sensitivity, but when I first started playing COD I used to be at 5 and worked my way up. I recommend this approach.

Melhisedek said:

Don't ask other people what their sensitivity is. Start low, and then slowly work your way up until it feels too fast. Then drop it back down until it feels too slow. I've settled at about a 4 and it works just fine for me.

EDIT: Am I the only person here who's turned the music volume all the way down? I know it makes the menus eerily silent, but not having to hear the music drown out the game volume at just the wrong moment is totally worth it.

divisionbyzorro said:
Don't ask other people what their sensitivity is. Start low, and then slowly work your way up until it feels too fast. Then drop it back down until it feels too slow. I've settled at about a 4 and it works just fine for me.

EDIT: Am I the only person here who's turned the music volume all the way down? I know it makes the menus eerily silent, but not having to hear the music drown out the game volume at just the wrong moment is totally worth it.
I'm also at a 4 and it just seems the right amount for me. I turn the music all the way down too, it's annoying when you can't hear the environment around you even if I'm not using headphones.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Melhisedek said:
Not directly related, but I decided to try out the iron sight on the Galil recently (my most used gun) and seemed to play much better than with a red dot or reflex sight. I really don't even know why I've used those sights in these games over years — I just always have, without really thinking about it. The iron sight on the Galil is really good, which helps. It's probably just a mental thing, but it just felt like the red dot, and especially the reflex, were actually obscuring my view a bit when aiming down the sight.

snacknuts

we all knew her
vatstep said:
Not directly related, but I decided to try out the iron sight on the Galil recently (my most used gun) and seemed to play much better than with a red dot or reflex sight. I really don't even know why I've used those sights in these games over years — I just always have, without really thinking about it. The iron sight on the Galil is really good, which helps. It's probably just a mental thing, but it just felt like the red dot, and especially the reflex, were actually obscuring my view a bit when aiming down the sight.

I have also always been a fan of the red dot sight, and since I primarily use Warlord Pro, it wasn't that big of a deal to have it on there. I normally did red dot + suppressor, but have since switched to extended mag + suppressor. This required ditching the Commando (since I don't like the iron sights on it) in favor of the AK47. The results have mostly been positive thus far.

Is it just me, or does the suppressor hurt ranged damage a lot more in Black Ops than it did in Modern Warfare 2? I ran with a suppressor on every single weapon in MW2, but I only have it in a couple of dedicated stealth classes here because I feel like I'm shooting foam pellets with it. This is especially true with SMGs; it feels like I can do more damage with foul language than with a silenced SMG.

divisionbyzorro said:
Is it just me, or does the suppressor hurt ranged damage a lot more in Black Ops than it did in Modern Warfare 2? I ran with a suppressor on every single weapon in MW2, but I only have it in a couple of dedicated stealth classes here because I feel like I'm shooting foam pellets with it. This is especially true with SMGs; it feels like I can do more damage with foul language than with a silenced SMG.

Galil and famas are fine with it.

rezuth said:
What the fuck is wrong with the game today? Nothing I do seems to hurt the other players.

:\ I get that feeling every non 4 bar game. Over the past week I have been noticing a lot more frame rate drops than usual, this is what playing on the PS3 must feel like.

mr_boo

divisionbyzorro said:
Galil is one of the guns I routinely use it on; Commando is the other. I actually really hate it on the FAMAS for some reason though.
Silenced FAMAS/AUG is my Ghost Kit primary (for the higher rate of fire of course). Interesting you can't stand it.

kuYuri

divisionbyzorro said:

Were you a big Stopping Power user in MW2?

cuevas said:
:\ I get that feeling every non 4 bar game. Over the past week I have been noticing a lot more frame rate drops than usual, this is what playing on the PS3 must feel like.
I don't find there to be that much difference connection wise from playing on the PS3 versus the 360 anymore. Although having the PS3 just freeze up at the loading screen probably once per gaming session is just ridiculous.

Strider2K99 said:
Were you a big Stopping Power user in MW2?

Yep! I had a lightweight class with the UMP45 + Silencer, and a stealth class with Cold-Blooded. But all other classes used Stopping Power. Almost nobody used UAVs in MW2, so a silencer was usually enough to stay off the enemy radar, so I used it on all my kits.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Something is definitely up with the game lately. A friend of mine couldn't hardly play the other night (constant framerate dips, lag). I rage quit last night because apparently my weapon started shooting rubber bullets. I run with a silencer on my Galil but no way more than 5 shots should be required.

RSTEIN said:
Something is definitely up with the game lately. A friend of mine couldn't hardly play the other night (constant framerate dips, lag). I rage quit last night because apparently my weapon started shooting rubber bullets. I run with a silencer on my Galil but no way more than 5 shots should be required.

Good to hear I'm not going crazy. Sometimes it feels like my 74u is shooting slower than a sniper.

Melhisedek said:

I wouldn't consider myself a "good" player, but I'm probably pretty average. The two things I would recommend are:

1) Be cautious
2) Watch Max's youtube videos (username Miles923 I think)

Edit: Here... http://www.youtube.com/user/Miles923

Before I did either of those I was consistently pulling in between a .4 and .8 kill death ratio. Since exercising caution and paying attention to more "expert" strategies I never go negative and usually run between 2-5:1. I've had a number of matches that resulted in 37-1, 48-3 etc. Not stellar by someone like Max's standards but pretty amazing for me. I've prestiged twice and am at level 45.

Never go around a corner without your sights up. Never go into the open if you can avoid it. Set your killstreaks to the low ones - getting spy planes, counter spy plans and care packages are really encouraging! Try rolling with hardline so they take one less kill.

When you die (and you will die, a lot) try not to run to the same spot you died at. I fall into that trap sometimes and I have to remind myself of "the definition of insanity".

Just keep at it and you'll see improvements. Try sticking to a "route" on each map...get to know all of the angles on that route so you won't get sniped when you're running it. Eventually you'll get to know the maps which is just as important as reflexes...

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
PalaceBrother said:
I wouldn't consider myself a "good" player, but I'm probably pretty average. The two things I would recommend are:

1) Be cautious
2) Watch Max's youtube videos (username Miles923 I think)

Edit: Here... http://www.youtube.com/user/Miles923

Well sheyit, this makes me wanna put up another video. Thanks for the props. Been extremely unmotivated to do so as of late, just grinding away trying to get to 15 and all the hype surrounding MVC3 coming out.

Last prestige I had a Domination game on Hanoi going 89-1. It's a dirty one tho, using 74u/Tubes/RPGs. I might put it up later...

divisionbyzorro said:

i think it has more to do with the lack of stoping power.

Top Bottom