• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

Brian Fellows said:
Ok I really think its time they show us something from the map pack. Its less than 3 weeks away now.

Is Treyarch making the maps? I remember reading something about someone else doing it or something.

Did they completely nerf the Olympia or is it just me? It used to tear people up but now I'm lucky to kill an unmoving target with both barrels. Point blank.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I reinstalled Black Ops to test my new card + old CPU (because the word on the net was that the game still runs like shit) and it hooked me once again. It looks VERY crisp in 1920 4XAA and runs silky smooth. No hiccups at all, only one or two at the beginning of a match.

I like this game. Very relaxing and pretty tactical. I'll keep BFBC2 for team play and this I'll play solo.

subversus said:
I reinstalled Black Ops to test my new card + old CPU (because the word on the net was that the game still runs like shit) and it hooked me once again. It looks VERY crisp in 1920 4XAA and runs silky smooth. No hiccups at all, only one or two at the beginning of a match.

I like this game. Very relaxing and pretty tactical. I'll keep BFBC2 for team play and this I'll play solo.

The recent Nvidia beta's helped a bunch (including way reduced load times), and im hoping the next patch (which Treyarch are saying fixes audio stutter) will be the last of it. Game runs pretty damn smooth for me now, but my for my brother (E6600, 4GB DDR2, 8800GT 512), the games still an absolutely stuttery piss take, while MW2 is butter smooth goodness. Really do hope Treyarch get this shit sorted, because the multiplayer really is quite fun with all there little changes.

Nabs

subversus said:

1920x1080/8xAA/85fps. i love it. i haven't had a lag issue in months.

i usually only play with others. give me one or two friends with voice chat, and we'll clear out a team easy.

Tkawsome said:
Did they completely nerf the Olympia or is it just me? It used to tear people up but now I'm lucky to kill an unmoving target with both barrels. Point blank.

I'm gonna say that I never saw it tear anyone up. Ever since the game launched I've seen double blasts go right through enemies and they don't even seem to get scratched. That gun has been pure shit from day one.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
divisionbyzorro said:
I'm gonna say that I never saw it tear anyone up. Ever since the game launched I've seen double blasts go right through enemies and they don't even seem to get scratched. That gun has been pure shit from day one.

This is the conclusion I came too. The only consistant shotgun was the spas because you could unload 3 shots fast to make sure the job gets done. However, I've found myself dying at redonkulous distances by the classified shotgun. Might try it out later on.

divisionbyzorro said:

I used to go on rampages with that thing. Rush the spawn and throw down a jammer, and you could easily take out the whole team on most maps. I tried it out in a match earlier today though and nothing was working. I even shot an unmoving guy who wasn't paying attention to me with both barrels, he just turned around and killed me.

Mileena

Banned
It's probably just the lag on this game has gotten worse. In hardcore SD I just shot a guy THREE times with a 74u, he goes on last stand, shoots me once, I die. Fucking Treyarch :lol

Melhisedek said:
Do you guys watch the minimap constantly or just play? How often do you check it? I find myself checking often and getting killed for it :)

Typically when i hear gun fire or i know there's a spy plane/blackbird in the air.

Melhisedek said:
Do you guys watch the minimap constantly or just play? How often do you check it? I find myself checking often and getting killed for it :)

With so many ghost users it's pretty useless unless you got an SR71 up. I just use it as reference for where they are spawning or coming from.

After playing nothing but wager matches for a couple of weeks, I decided to go back to playing some regular modes. Been doing much better, and having a lot more fun than before. Started using the FAMAS. Probably my fave gun now. And having hacker pro is awesome! Hacking equipment, and booby trapping care packages is great fun. Not getting killed by claymores anymore is okay too.

I also ran in to something weird involving the chopper gunner last night. Has anyone ever had this happen to them? Everything looked farther away , and I kept turning. :S

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Somnium986 said:
I also ran in to something weird involving the chopper gunner last night. Has anyone ever had this happen to them? Everything looked farther away , and I kept turning. :S

Yep, this shit happens to me all the time.

Nizz

divisionbyzorro said:
Don't ask other people what their sensitivity is. Start low, and then slowly work your way up until it feels too fast. Then drop it back down until it feels too slow. I've settled at about a 4 and it works just fine for me.

EDIT: Am I the only person here who's turned the music volume all the way down? I know it makes the menus eerily silent, but not having to hear the music drown out the game volume at just the wrong moment is totally worth it.
That's the same sens I play at, awesome! :) Though maybe it feels differently since you play on 360 and I play on PS3. Looser sticks on the Dualshock...

Just had a really weird glitch; I threw a frag at a guy, but it got stuck in his body or something and kept doing direct impact damage until he died (he was on full health). Happen to anyone else?

Nizz

RSTEIN said:
I play Halo at 10 and BLOPS at 7.
When I tried Black Ops on my nephew's 360, I also played on 7. The 360 controller's sticks feel way tighter. But on PS3 I can't seem to play at a sens higher than 4. Weird...

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
corkscrewblow said:
It's probably just the lag on this game has gotten worse. In hardcore SD I just shot a guy THREE times with a 74u, he goes on last stand, shoots me once, I die. Fucking Treyarch :lol

Last Stand in Hardcore drives me crazy.

FerranMG

So, I've played already around 20 hours of the game, and I still haven't got myself to go sniping.

I feel like the maps used to be more open in other CoD games, in Blops I don't know where to go to snipe with that giant guns, every corner I turn could be the death of me.

Not that I'm a great sniper, but I used to enjoy it in Wasteland, for example.

Can anyone provide a few tips, or good locations to snipe?

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
FerranMG said:
So, I've played already around 20 hours of the game, and I still haven't got myself to go sniping.

I feel like the maps used to be more open in other CoD games, in Blops I don't know where to go to snipe with that giant guns, every corner I turn could be the death of me.

Not that I'm a great sniper, but I used to enjoy it in Wasteland, for example.

I miss Wasteland so much. So many snipers it was hard not to go 25-5 in TDM every time.

snap0212

FerranMG said:
Don't work with your scope, work with your cross hairs. Make sure to only zoom in when there's a target. Try to do that until you feel like it's a natural thing for you to just scope in, shoot, look for a new target. Everything else won't work in Black Ops since there's almost no way you'll ever find a great sniper spot. Change your location as often as possible, because you'll most likely not be able to win a 1v1 against someone you killed moments ago.

Play Domination is you really want to snipe. Make sure your Team has two flags and take advantage of CoD's spawn system. You already know where people will be coming from so take a look at those places. The most important thing, though, is to learn how to work with your cross hairs. You don't want to zoom in if it doesn't result in a kill.

Tkawsome said:

same. I switched the stakeout. Much better gun.

It's weird because I understand what treyarch was trying to do with the olympia (make a gun with big spread so that it's more forgiving for being slightly off-center), but it only would work if it were like in TF2 where the double barrel has more pellets per shot.

kuYuri

Old? This was mentioned earlier in the thread, but it seems to be confirmed that the changes to Second Chance, AK74u, and RC-XD will may happen in next update.

http://www.callofduty.com/board/vie...62855&sid=dkpssplcekcpecoulo5rvl6705#p4362855

Since last week, we've made a few more gameplay changes. If they clear QA will appear in the next update.

Second Chance gets a scoring overhaul.

If you shoot the guy and he falls into Second Chance you will get the +100 (in TDM) and kill credit. You don't get this if the guy is revived. You get it if: (1) you finish him off (2) he takes Coward's Way Out (3) he "times out" and dies anyhow or (4) a teammate finishes him off.
If a player is already in Second Chance and you finish him off, you get an Assist and the appropriate credit.

Many community members expressed that they felt "cheated" out of a kill if they dropped someone into Second Chance and a teammate got the kill. In my opinion (which does not necessarily represent the views of Treyarch or every Treyarch developer), if you feel this way you might be taking the game just a little too seriously.

This might have unintended consequences. Perhaps more people will leave guys hanging around in Second Chance. Maybe this will be a problem. Maybe it will benefit Second Chance users. We will see. In the end, we were willing to do this because it doesn't impact how Second Chance works in any significant way.

Additionally, Second Chance users are going to get blown to bits if they die by a shotgun blast. You will not fall into Second Chance. It works the same way it does if you die by a headshot. This might be going too far, but it's something we talked over at length and are willing to try.

The RC-XD has had its top speed and maximum damage reduced. Not much, mind you. Flak Jacket users will survive an RC-XD attack way better than someone without Flak Jacket. However, it won't make you completely immune.

The AK74u also gets some minor tweaks.

No specifics were given as to exactly what changes AK74u gets.

To view the rest of Vahn's post, click the link

I'm still amazed that since CoD4 Idle sway hasn't rightfully been added to ARs.

It was a no brainer way of keeping ARs from being too good at long range compared to every other class.

What there working on (PC Version) -

http://www.callofduty.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=313146&sid=8mc0qk528ons67jnqhc7uaqrj4

IN PROGRESS

(Last Updated 1/12/11)

• MP Audio stuttering on certain systems.
• Playercards sometimes not showing properly.
• Added three Private Match Server Settings: Team Change, Team-Up Period, and Keep Balanced Teams.
• Added Alternate Color Scheme for accessibility: Settings / Multiplayer / Player Name Indicator.
• Changed Team-Up Period countdown interval to 10 seconds.
• Combat Training sessions are no longer counted in Server Browser Unranked tab.
• Friends on your team will now show as blue on your minimap.
• Prevention of various exploits.
• Objective markers localized for all languages.
• SP Audio stuttering on certain systems.
• Addition of new contracts.
• Addition of the “Dolly Cam” editing mode in Theater.
• If a player cancels an invite to a Wager Match, then attempts to join another server, they will join the server from the declined invite.
• Issue where the incorrect perks would appear when spectating another player under certain conditions.
• Addition of round start explosive delay to China Lake grenade launcher to give it the same “spawn toob” protection as other explosives.
• Ensure reticle purchases are reset on prestige in all circumstances.
• Contracts should reset on prestige.
• Prevention of Valkyrie rocket exploding upon release under rare conditions.
• Prevention of Gunship and Chopper Gunner failing to give player full control under rare conditions.
• Prevention of an issue where a player will get teleported outside the map boundaries under very specific conditions.
• Limit the ability to re-roll supply drops using Hardline Pro to Care Packages only, no other killstreak drops.
• Increased headshot multipliers for sniper rifles. Sniper rifles with suppressors equipped will now always be ensured one-shot kill headshots.
• Added a render delay to the red diamond player indicators that appear when controlling the Gunship, Valkyrie Rocket and Chopper Gunner. When a player first spawns, this will not appear for a period of time.
• Additional minor reductions in knife lunge.

These all make me happy, roll on patch.

user_nat said:
Somehow i just earnt a UAV whilst shooting from a chopper gunner..

if your killstreak causes a barrel or car to explode and said explosion leads to a kill, it counts towards earning other killstreaks

user_nat said:
Somehow i just earnt a UAV whilst shooting from a chopper gunner..

If you blow up a car or barrel, and the enemy dies from that explosion, the kill counts toward your streak since the kill didn't come directly from the chopper gunner.

EDIT: beaten. :/

You know what the worst thing in this game is? One in the Chamber. In theory it's great, but in practice it highlights the worst things about this game: lag and hit detection. It should be a fun game of cat-and-mouse and risk/reward decisions, but in practice it's total fucking horseshit. Ugh.

So yeah; I've been trying out the high-roller wager matches just because I have nothing better to do with my CoD points. That said, I don't feel like continually flushing them down the toilet in game modes that emphasize chaos over skill. The only one that I even like is Gun Game, and that seems to never get voted for in the high-roller matches.

Meh. I think I'll just stick to Domination; it's what I enjoy the most and it's what I'm best at.

divisionbyzorro said:
You know what the worst thing in this game is? One in the Chamber. In theory it's great, but in practice it highlights the worst things about this game: lag and hit detection. It should be a fun game of cat-and-mouse and risk/reward decisions, but in practice it's total fucking horseshit. Ugh.

So yeah; I've been trying out the high-roller wager matches just because I have nothing better to do with my CoD points. That said, I don't feel like continually flushing them down the toilet in game modes that emphasize chaos over skill. The only one that I even like is Gun Game, and that seems to never get voted for in the high-roller matches.

Meh. I think I'll just stick to Domination; it's what I enjoy the most and it's what I'm best at.

Yeah, the modes that actually have a risk/ reward ranking are the modes that emphasize luck the most, its almost laughable how ironic that is.

10Cr for the cheap modes isnt exactly expensive, so im not complaining, but the idea of putting money on the line is something awesome, its a great way to really get the competition going. Its just a shame that they did the weird juxtaposition of putting the party games in the competative mode.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
divisionbyzorro said:

Agreed Zorro. I'll always skip 1ITC and Stick and Stones because of the lag. Relying on one bullet or crossbow/hawks to get you kills is infuriating if your opponents aren't actually where they REALLY are on your screen because of the lag. I try to stick to gun-game or sharpshooter.

Anyway, hit lv 46 on 14th Prestige last night. Soon, it will be done! Too bad it took AGES to get into a game last night. Everytime I finished a match, the lobby would never repopulate.

In my not-so-humble opinion, the AK74u isn't overpowered; it's just overused. This is in part due to the fact that it has a grenade launcher, in part because it's the first good SMG in the progression, and in part because it's the only SMG that can stand up to the assault rifles at mid-range in face-to-face combat (but if your style of play with an SMG gets you into a lot of face-to-face combat, I'd argue that you're playing SMGs wrong).

And after the amount of play I've put in recently, I personally don't think the G11 is overpowered either. You can't silence it, and the attachments for it are total shit. If anything, the ROF is a little high, and the hipfire accuracy at close range is ridiculous, but overall I don't think it's really that big of a deal.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
divisionbyzorro said:
In my not-so-humble opinion, the AK74u isn't overpowered; it's just overused. This is in part due to the fact that it has a grenade launcher, in part because it's the first good SMG in the progression, and in part because it's the only SMG that can stand up to the assault rifles at mid-range in face-to-face combat (but if your style of play with an SMG gets you into a lot of face-to-face combat, I'd argue that you're playing SMGs wrong).

And after the amount of play I've put in recently, I personally don't think the G11 is overpowered either. You can't silence it, and the attachments for it are total shit. If anything, the ROF is a little high, and the hipfire accuracy at close range is ridiculous, but overall I don't think it's really that big of a deal.

Yeah after the Last Stand and RCXD tweaks I'll be pretty much content with the way things are with weapons, perks, killstreaks, and attachments.

luoapp

bobs99 ... said:
What are they tweaking about the RCXD?

The RC-XD has had its top speed and maximum damage reduced. Not much, mind you. Flak Jacket users will survive an RC-XD attack way better than someone without Flak Jacket. However, it won't make you completely immune.

Edit: Sorry, radius is not reduced it seems. But still improvement, I guess.

luoapp said:
Decreased radius and damage.

SoGood.gif :lol

Seriously I love Treyarch, a lot of people are badmouthing BO, but for me its like the most refined CoD, and a lot of that comes from the effort they have made to deal with issues the community had with the game.

divisionbyzorro said:
In my not-so-humble opinion, the AK74u isn't overpowered; it's just overused.
It's over-powered compared to other SMGs. A gun with such predictable and easy recoil should have Idle sway like it did in CoD4. And notice how treyarch didn't allow a grip attachment for the MP5k. There's a reason for that.

This is in part due to the fact that it has a grenade launcher, in part because it's the first good SMG in the progression, and in part because it's the only SMG that can stand up to the assault rifles at mid-range in face-to-face combat
Thats because ARs in this game are also ridiculously overpowered. They were never considered overpowered in CoD4. That's because:

1) Nearly all the full-auto ARs had idle sway, with the lowest recoil guns having the biggest idle sway.
2) The high damage full-auto AR (AK-47) had a damage dropoff to 20 instead of 30 when you used a red-dot or silencer.
3) The high RoF ARs did 30-20 (4HK-5HK) and not 35-25 (3HK-4HK)

It would be perfectly fair if they made the damage drop-off occur at the same distance as the M60. That way it would have a disadvantage for at least one of the ranges of engagement. as it is has a ridiculous advantage at midrange, long-range, AND close range.

Top Bottom