• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

snack

500x_black_ops_firststrike_zombie_01.jpg

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Every time I play this game, I swear, I see a new error. Was just in a match where all of a sudden everyone else got booted from the game, and a message popped up on my screen saying "enemies forfeiting in 20 seconds" — WTF? After 20 seconds, the match ended and I got sent back to the lobby as usual. Okay...

Should probably turn the game off now anyway, considering in the match before I had two knife "kills" where I heard the hitmarker and didn't get an actual kill.

kuYuri

I'm also in the position of even if Max doesn't go for the objective, if he's helping the team with kills and killstreaks like Blackbirds and dogs, I'm all for it. As has been mentioned, he's helping the team win in his own way.

snack said:
http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2011/01/500x_black_ops_firststrike_zombie_01.jpg

This is Treyarch artwork right? I love it when they make these for their map packs, heh. They did the same for Map Pack 2 and 3 for WaW.

vatstep said:
Every time I play this game, I swear, I see a new error. Was just in a match where all of a sudden everyone else got booted from the game, and a message popped up on my screen saying "enemies forfeiting in 20 seconds" — WTF? After 20 seconds, the match ended and I got sent back to the lobby as usual. Okay...

Should probably turn the game off now anyway, considering in the match before I had two knife "kills" where I heard the hitmarker and didn't get an actual kill.

I've seen that in CoD games before. It's rare, but it has happened. It's not just a Black Ops specific thing.

cuevas said:
That's his entire strategy, never put himself at risk and use the flags as bait. Great if you want a high k/d.
I imagine you poised over your keyboard, ready to pounce the second someone mentions Max's name. If he posts himself? go time

Ignoring the objectives to bring in chopper gunners and dogs helps your team. I can't tell you how many tides I have turned by doing just that. It forces the opponents to completely abandon objectives and go on the defense.

Im in two minds about getting the map pack. When I jump on the game I adore it, but I rarely jump on. I LOVE playing on maps like Jungle, so the map pack playlist might not even appeal to me considering I wont be playing some maps I love.

By the way, Max you mentioned that you might get a contract for recording vids? How do you go about doing that? I do pretty well when I actually play and for sure would have some youtube worthy videos. The thing is, the hassle of getting a capture card, and the time required isnt worth it considering with Youtube the likelyhood is that no one would see my videos anyway.

Odds are that my videos wouldnt be as good as I think they are. :p

Reading through the thread and watching some of the videos...

I hate people who corner camp a kill at a time. :( I think Ceuvas video examples arent to highlight the fact that he kills instead of goes for the objective, but just to show how he actually kills. That said I dont know how representative those videos are of peoples playstyles, so meh, for all I know people are picking the worst video examples to make the other dude look bad.

When its all said and done though, does anyone really think a CoD 1v1 means anything? lol

bobs99 ... said:
Im in two minds about getting the map pack. When I jump on the game I adore it, but I rarely jump on. I LOVE playing on maps like Jungle, so the map pack playlist might not even appeal to me considering I wont be playing some maps I love.

I have Amazon credit, and I'll be getting it without a second's thought. New maps really do a lot to add variety to the game.

And am I the only one who's kinda bummed that there aren't any classic maps returning? I know IW got a lot of shit for it in MW2, but I can think of quite a few W@W maps I'd like to see again.

bobs99 ... said:
By the way, Max you mentioned that you might get a contract for recording vids? How do you go about doing that? I do pretty well when I actually play and for sure would have some youtube worthy videos. The thing is, the hassle of getting a capture card, and the time required isnt worth it considering with Youtube the likelyhood is that no one would see my videos anyway.

Odds are that my videos wouldnt be as good as I think they are. :p

These days it's not about how good you are; there are enough (some would say too many) people out there putting up videos of quality gameplay. It comes down to how interesting your videos are to watch. SeaNanners, for example, has managed to keep his following even though his gameplay isn't anything particularly special because of his commentary style. One of my favorites is Ons1aut7, because his live commentaries are good and his regular commentaries use a fair bit of clever editing and theater mode to make the video more informative (example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8PFX0Uc7Io).

Basically, you either have to be ridiculously good and post scores with massive K/Ds, or come up with some other sort of shtick to make your videos interesting.

bobs99 ... said:
Reading through the thread and watching some of the videos...

I hate people who corner camp a kill at a time. :( I think Ceuvas video examples arent to highlight the fact that he kills instead of goes for the objective, but just to show how he actually kills. That said I dont know how representative those videos are of peoples playstyles, so meh, for all I know people are picking the worst video examples to make the other dude look bad.

Like last night, when I played regular domination, completely ignored the objective, went 34-17 with one one defend and zero captures and we lost the game? :) We all do it from time to time.

bobs99 ... said:
When its all said and done though, does anyone really think a CoD 1v1 means anything? lol

1v1 means jack shit (MW2 quickscoper 1v1 notwithstanding).

hamchan

They should make a duel mode for 1v1s in the next game.

Design special maps for it, add some special weapons; I think it'd be awesome. Would be good for local multiplayer in the new portable CoD too.

PalaceBrother said:
I imagine you poised over your keyboard, ready to pounce the second someone mentions Max's name. If he posts himself? go time

Ignoring the objectives to bring in chopper gunners and dogs helps your team. I can't tell you how many tides I have turned by doing just that. It forces the opponents to completely abandon objectives and go on the defense.

By Cuevas' definition, the only admirable play-style is to never stop moving for a moment, running gun-ho into enemy nests with a trusty Galil/AK7Fu and taking little to no damage. You happen to die? You're a scrub. Holding down a corner of the map? You're a camper. Stopping the enemy team from accessing a main thoroughfare? You may as well pitch a tent! Going 700 - 3? Stop forcing your enemy into your crosshairs, you cheat!

I mean, he consider's this camping, for fuck sake: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XK_egSy0w_E

The guy's a joke character. I've never seen him acknowledge once anyone having skill without some kind of Cuevas disclaimer. Having seen several of his games, the irony is delicious.

3ur4zn said:
By Cuevas' definition, the only admirable play-style is to never stop moving for a moment, running gun-ho into enemy nests with a trusty Galil/AK7Fu and taking little to no damage. You happen to die? You're a scrub. Holding down a corner of the map? You're a camper. Stopping the enemy team from accessing a main thoroughfare? You may as well pitch a tent! Going 700 - 3? Stop forcing your enemy into your crosshairs, you cheat!

I mean, he consider's this camping, for fuck sake: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XK_egSy0w_E

The guy's a joke character. I've never seen him acknowledge once anyone having skill without some kind of Cuevas disclaimer. Having seen several of his games, the irony is delicious.

To be fair though, as a run and gunner, if someone can run and gun and do as well as someone who is more static, isnt the run and gunner doing more interesting stuff? If you can run and gun and do well, why would you play more methodocally? Isnt it more fun going Rambo?

I do understand that different people enjoy different things, and the tactical playstyle is actually more fun for people and ive heard a lot of critism from those type of players that running and gunning is stupid, so I know critism works both ways.

I hate to say it, but the video you linked is what I would also call camping, at the 6 second mark he even sat in a corner waiting for someone to run past! Now personally if I see a red dot on my radar moving towards me, rather than meet them head on I will find a tactical position that lets me have the advantage over them. But I NEVER simply sit in the corner of a room waiting for someone to walk past, without prior knoledge of where the enemies even are.

I think that the good players can use things like teammates positioning and so on to sort of analyse where the enemy is going to be, and 'rush' towards those positions in a way that you have the tactical line of sight over the enemy. Sure I never stop moving, but im always moving with purpose. Isnt that better than simply guarding a chokepoint?

I havent been reading the whole thread, but I amost get a feeling people are disregarding Cuevas's points simply because of his persona, rather than the content of his opinions.

Divisionbyzorro - thanks for the post, and the links! My gameplay (in my opinion) is probably entertaining to watch, but I would be competing against people who do what I do, but better, and have better 'shtick' to make theyre videos more interesting. I would probably end up with like 20 views, its not worth it. :(

bobs99 ... said:
To be fair though, as a run and gunner, if someone can run and gun and do as well as someone who is more static, isnt the run and gunner doing more interesting stuff? If you can run and gun and do well, why would you play more methodocally? Isnt it more fun going Rambo?

It is, and I am also a run and gunner. I get completely bored sitting in a room waiting for the enemy to come to me, and in the majority of games you'll see me flanking the enemy spawns and chokepoints.

The video linked is actually me playing, and I can tell you right now, I knew they were coming. I wear good quality headphones and you can hear enemies coming from a mile away, so I set myself in the position, to, as you said yourself, give myself the best possible chance to come out the winner in every confrontation. As you would see if the video was at normal speed, the idiots on the other team kept running towards the house, and I used the different entrances of the house to my advantage. When they learnt their lesson and stopped coming, I left the house and went huntin'.

I hate to say it, but the video you linked is what I would also call camping, at the 6 second mark he even sat in a corner waiting for someone to run past! Now personally if I see a red dot on my radar moving towards me, rather than meet them head on I will find a tactical position that lets me have the advantage over them. But I NEVER simply sit in the corner of a room waiting for someone to walk past, without prior knoledge of where the enemies even are.

Like I said, I heard footsteps. He was coming to avenge his mate who I'd just killed. Considering I end that video 100 metres away from the starting point, in open space with no cover, chasing the final kill for my gunship, he doesn't have a point.

I think that the good players can use things like teammates positioning and so on to sort of analyse where the enemy is going to be, and 'rush' towards those positions in a way that you have the tactical line of sight over the enemy. Sure I never stop moving, but im always moving with purpose. Isnt that better than simply guarding a chokepoint?

I agree. I'm a 2.2kd and, while that isn't fantastic, it's because I have a good awareness of spawn-points, enemy position, and game mechanics.

I havent been reading the whole thread, but I amost get a feeling people are disregarding Cuevas's points simply because of his persona, rather than the content of his opinions.

No, he's a classic case of butthurt. Max is a better player than Cuevas is. Cuevas can't accept that, so instead of nodding his head in acknowledgment of a better player, each time Max posts a video, Cuevas makes a snide little remark, alluding to the fact Max is a camper and plays Domination like one would play TDM. Whether true or not, Max seems to have a knack for keeping himself alive. I doubt he'd be able to do it to such an extent against quality opposition, but we all face cannon fodder, and Max seems to take on cannon fodder even better than most.

3ur4zn said:
It is, and I am also a run and gunner. I get completely bored sitting in a room waiting for the enemy to come to me, and in the majority of games you'll see me flanking the enemy spawns and chokepoints.

The video linked is actually me playing, and I can tell you right now, I knew they were coming. I wear good quality headphones and you can hear enemies coming from a mile away, so I set myself in the position, to, as you said yourself, give myself the best possible chance to come out the winner in every confrontation. As you would see if the video was at normal speed, the idiots on the other team kept running towards the house, and I used the different entrances of the house to my advantage. When they learnt their lesson and stopped coming, I left the house and went huntin'.

Like I said, I heard footsteps. He was coming to avenge his mate who I'd just killed. Considering I end that video 100 metres away from the starting point, in open space with no cover, chasing the final kill for my gunship, he doesn't have a point.

I agree. I'm a 2.2kd and, while that isn't fantastic, it's because I have a good awareness of spawn-points, enemy position, and game mechanics.

No, he's a classic case of butthurt. Max is a better player than Cuevas is. Cuevas can't accept that, so instead of nodding his head in acknowledgment of a better player, each time Max posts a video, Cuevas makes a snide little remark, alluding to the fact Max is a camper and plays Domination like one would play TDM. Whether true or not, Max seems to have a knack for keeping himself alive. I doubt he'd be able to do it to such an extent against quality opposition, but we all face cannon fodder, and Max seems to take on cannon fodder even better than most.

Ah yeah fair enough, through Youtube the sound wasnt there so that aspect of things didnt show through. I run and gun, but sometimes it makes sense to hold an area while people are rushing you or while people are spawning there so yeah fair does. :p

bobs99 ... said:
:( I think Ceuvas video examples arent to highlight the fact that he kills instead of goes for the objective, but just to show how he actually kills.

Naw man, I only go for the objective. I used to like keeping 2 objectives and knowing where the enemy is coming from but over the past couple months dominating a team and chasing them all over the map has turned out to be a lot more fun :)

3ur4zn said:

Naw bra, the two games you kept referring to as representing your playstyle you camped your little behind off.

You guys keep talking about how I couldn't play and keep a 4K/D like Max, none of you (maybe max, he IS a good player) could keep a 2.5 k/d while playing like I do.

cuevas said:
You guys keep talking about how I couldn't play and keep a 4K/D like Max, none of you (maybe max, he IS a good player) could keep a 2.5 k/d while playing like I do.

It would take me forever to even get up to a 2.5. I was terrible when the game first came out so I've only now gotten to 1.2.

PalaceBrother said:
It would take me forever to even get up to a 2.5. I was terrible when the game first came out so I've only now gotten to 1.2.
Lol don't worry about it man I was just talking in general, not attacking anyone specifically.

Just keep at it, as long as you're not one of those 15th prestige guys with a .5, some people need to give up.

cuevas said:
Naw bra, the two games you kept referring to as representing your playstyle you camped your little behind off.

Incorrect. But keep lying please, I enjoy seeing you squirm.

Your style is to sit close to an objective, using it as bait. You're just like MAX, except he's twice as good.

You only play objective games, which are easier modes to maintain KDR. You know where the enemy is, or were they are coming from, and if you sit off to the side of an objective and wait for the scrubs, gg kd. When you play TDM, there's no 'rhythm' to the map, and enemies are much more spread out and more often come from random angles. It's a harder gametype to maintain KDR.

Considering the people you play with (whom are better than you, from what I've seen) I'm surprised your KD is only 2.5 to be honest. Your skills are slightly above average, but you couldn't even beat me, and I'm only 2.2. Your reflexes are inconsistent and often wayward. You don't 'snap' quickly and you more often than not lose even, CQ confrontations.

I'm on your friends list. Howsa bout putting your money where your mouth is?

Mileena

Banned
I see Max has a lot of nut riders here. I've only seen his Domination on Jungle video but he's really nothing special. A smart player that lurks for most of his kills and ignores the objective.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
cuevas said:
I'm roughly 2.5 and in the top 500ish for score per minute (which would be hard to do if I camped).

I don't really care how someone players, as long as it works for them. What really annoys me is people who camp and still manage to get a horrible K/D.

user_nat said:
I'm roughly 2.5 and in the top 500ish for score per minute (which would be hard to do if I camped).

I don't really care how someone players, as long as it works for them. What really annoys me is people who camp and still manage to get a horrible K/D.

You can tell who the campers are with their low SPM and "decent" k/d. I hate leaderboards but they can help spot these people.

cuevas said:
You can tell who the campers are with their low SPM and "decent" k/d. I hate leaderboards but they can help spot these people.

Just checked. Max has a higher SPM than you in both Domination and Team Deathmatch (all time). In fact, his SPM is a full 100 points higher than yours in TDM! So your point was what exactly?

corkscrewblow said:
I see Max has a lot of nut riders here. I've only seen his Domination on Jungle video but he's really nothing special. A smart player that lurks for most of his kills and ignores the objective.

Meh. I don't care that much about Max, but I do get tired of Cuevas talking out of his ass. He's chosen to deliberately target Max - that was his decision, not ours.

divisionbyzorro said:
Just checked. Max has a higher SPM than you in both Domination and Team Deathmatch (all time). In fact, his SPM is a full 100 points higher than yours in TDM! So your point was what exactly?

Meh. I don't care that much about Max, but I do get tired of Cuevas talking out of his ass. He's chosen to deliberately target Max - that was his decision, not ours.
In all my previous posts I have said Max is a good player, I just disagree with his cowardly playstyle. Talking about spm, everyone who has added me isn't even close.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
cuevas said:
In all my previous posts I have said Max is a good player, I just disagree with his cowardly playstyle. Talking about spm, everyone who has added me isn't even close.
Speaking of, mind if I add you?

Somewhat enjoy comparing stats and all.

hamchan

cuevas said:
Do you you want him to change his playstyle to something like yours? The way I see it if his SPM and KDR are better than yours you don't really have grounds to say his playstyle is worse than yours. Fact is this game is about making a big score and preventing the enemy from doing the same, and Max is currently doing a great job of that. I think it'd be really dumb of him to change his playstyle when he's doing so well.

hamchan said:
Do you you want him to change his playstyle to something like yours? The way I see it if his SPM and KDR are better than yours you don't really have grounds to say his playstyle is worse than yours. Fact is this game is about making a big score and preventing the enemy from doing the same, and Max is currently doing a great job of that. I think it'd be really dumb of him to change his playstyle when he's doing so well.
What? The point of the game is to win. I do that.

vhfive said:
I guess it's time to unsubscribe to this thread

Can't say I blame you. :( The last few pages haven't exactly been full of stimulating conversation (not that I haven't contributed my fair share of drivel).

A little self-policing and self-control would likely be prudent in this situation. Threads get locked all the time for shit like this.

jedimike

Xux said:
How 'bout we talk about the sheer hilarity of booby trapped Care Packages?

I run with hacker pro and get the rare opportunity to set the trap... nothing gives me more pleasure than seeing the exploding crate icon :D

On a side note, I've never been blown up by one. One time, I was lucky enough to see the guy running away with my turret but the crate was still there. I tried to warn my teammates but some dumbass just had to try. BTW, Can you destroy a booby-trapped crate?

Hacking claymores is also great fun... I can only imagine what the person on the other end is thinking as he tries to figure out how he got blown-up by his own claymore.

kuYuri

To say my final piece and move on, I'm more amused by the fact that there's a bunch of people in here actually trying to compare their CoD e-peens to each other.

For every one awesome match video you post, there's like 5-10 others where you do completely mediocre or horrible and you didn't post a video of it.

MarshMellow96 said:
Come at me bro'!

But seriously. Map pack-age tomorrow. Get excited guys!

I wish. I'm going to wait for a sale like the MW2 map packs. Not a fan of paying $15 for a map pack. :/

kuYuri

Oh yeah, some Double XP news:

The first ever #CODBlackOps Double-XP Weekend will be Feb. 4th - 6th on all platforms. #FirstStrike available Feb. 1 on #360.

http://twitter.com/#!/JD_2020/status/31905815178772480

Too bad this happens the weekend after I start classes again.

Ever since the patch came out I am able to play in games where me or my roommates are host and not be auto-disconnected but lag has gotten worse overall :\

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Oh shit, double XP = one prestige done. I have work all three days that weekend (restaurant), but fuck it, I'm gonna make it happen. At the very least I'll have my current prestige up to 35ish by then and that will make nice easy work of the last 15 levels that always seem to drag on forever.

Strider2K99 said:
Oh yeah, some Double XP news:

http://twitter.com/#!/JD_2020/status/31905815178772480

Too bad this happens the weekend after I start classes again.

Still sticking to my guns and not starting the second prestige. Still loving it.

Magik

Stallion Free said:
Oh man you should prestige. They blow by so much faster here (or at least thats what it feels like).

They do go by a lot faster in BLOPs and even faster if you do the higher end contracts. Getting 1000 xp for getting one killstreak is great especially if you're starting off at a low level.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Magik said:
They do go by a lot faster in BLOPs and even faster if you do the higher end contracts. Getting 1000 xp for getting one killstreak is great especially if you're starting off at a low level.
There are a bunch of contracts that pay very well (2000+ XP) for winning a match by a certain score — like "TDM Annihilation" where you have an hour to win by a margin of 3000 points or greater. It's just funny, since 80% of the matches in this game are blowouts by at least that amount anyway.

Top Bottom