• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

SpacLock

These past few days I was wondering why I suck with the AK74U all of the sudden. Well, that was until I went to the update page at Treyarch and seen that they nerfed it.

So lame.

Xux

SpacLock said:
These past few days I was wondering why I suck with the AK74U all of the sudden. Well, that was until I went to the update page at Treyarch and seen that they nerfed it.

So lame.

The nerf's not even noticeable; they nerfed an aspect (the grip) that had such a tiny effect in the first place. It's almost like they just tweaked something to call it nerfed just to scare people away from using it.

Until they buff the PM63, Uzi, Kiparis, RPK, and Dragunov and maybe mix the pistols a little, I don't they're even looking at the weapons seriously.

DRE Fei

I've barely noticed any difference with the 74u. I never use the grip on it anyway. All you really need is rapid fire and scavenger. It's only a godlike weapon compared to the rest of that garbage smg class. All I use is the famas and I tear ak74 users apart all day and I suck at the game.

At least treyarch has been good about patching things as soon as they show up like the deadman glitch, care package glitch, etc. but certain weapons in this game will always be better than others. That's just the way it goes.

divisionbyzorro said:
Still sticking to my guns and not starting the second prestige. Still loving it.

Hi 5!

My friends keep bugging me to prestige, the irony is that im having fun and they are usually playing in a way they hate just to rank up quicker.

In my opinion this game is good enough that I will play without the need to fill up bars. For a lot of people prestiging gives them a chance to play the game in a different way, and have a challenge, so im not against it. I am against all the people that think EVERYONE should prestige though.

DRE Fei

bobs99 ... said:
Hi 5!

My friends keep bugging me to prestige, the irony is that im having fun and they are usually playing in a way they hate just to rank up quicker.

In my opinion this game is good enough that I will play without the need to fill up bars. For a lot of people prestiging gives them a chance to play the game in a different way, and have a challenge, so im not against it. I am against all the people that think EVERYONE should prestige though.
I totally understand why someone would choose not to prestige, especially in this particular COD. Some of the pro perks are a huge pain in the ass to get and it basically turns the game into a grind. Fortunately, the only pro perks I really care about are sleight of hand and hacker which are fairly straightforward with no dumb playlist requirements. With this minimalist approach to the game, it makes prestiging easier. The only hard part for me is the first 10 levels or so. I mainly prestige for the extra class slots, but 5 classes is really all that's necessary. I actually think it's smarter not to prestige in this game especially if you have all the pro perks already, but I cannot be attached to things I've never had :) Screw it, I'll take the beatings until I hit 15th! I want that gold, son!

hamchan

I'm gonna prestige every time since levelling up sure feels good. That guitar rift activates the pleasure receptors in my brain.

DRE Fei said:
I totally understand why someone would choose not to prestige, especially in this particular COD. Some of the pro perks are a huge pain in the ass to get and it basically turns the game into a grind. Fortunately, the only pro perks I really care about are sleight of hand and hacker which are fairly straightforward with no dumb playlist requirements. With this minimalist approach to the game, it makes prestiging easier. The only hard part for me is the first 10 levels or so. I mainly prestige for the extra class slots, but 5 classes is really all that's necessary. I actually think it's smarter not to prestige in this game especially if you have all the pro perks already, but I cannot be attached to things I've never had :) Screw it, I'll take the beatings until I hit 15th! I want that gold, son!
I'm mostly the same. I use Hardline along with sleight of hand and hacker and those get unlocked just through normal gameplay with the exception of Hacker Pro which also requires me to replace my claymores with a motion sensor for a few rounds.

I have to admit that I do want the gold guns as well.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Prestiging pushes me to try out different weapons and class setups as I usually tire of one by the end of a prestige. I'm on my 4th prestige and this time I am focusing on LMGs. Also, I have started to enjoy working my way through most of the Perks getting them up to pro. Stuff like Scavenger get me to change my playstyle and weapon setup for the challenges and it can be a lot of fun.

Also leveling feels good.

Stallion Free said:
Prestiging pushes me to try out different weapons and class setups as I usually tire of one by the end of a prestige. I'm on my 4th prestige and this time I am focusing on LMGs. Also, I have started to enjoy working my way through most of the Perks getting them up to pro. Stuff like Scavenger get me to change my playstyle and weapon setup for the challenges and it can be a lot of fun.

Also leveling feels good.

All valid points.

But I can mix up my playstyle without having to prestige, and I never want to go through the pain of earning some of these pro perks again.

The only prestige with anything I would want would be 14th, and I'll never get there, so why bother?

After being in love with the game yesterday I turned on my xbox this morning and it seems like every player is using Ghost. Crouching somewhere with a Claymore set up. Waiting to noob tube the doorway they are staring at.

My last match involved me going like even and struggling because every single person on my team was like 2 - 10. I was doing decent that game, but couldnt get a streak going because of the constant airstrikes. When I looked at the scoreboard and saw why I was getting subdued by air support I had to rage quit.

CoD is awesome at its highs, but AWEFUL at its lows. Treyarch did a good job removing 90% of the bullshit, but Ghost single handedly ruins the game when everyone uses it.

LowParry

bobs99 ... said:
After being in love with the game yesterday I turned on my xbox this morning and it seems like every player is using Ghost. Crouching somewhere with a Claymore set up. Waiting to noob tube the doorway they are staring at.

My last match involved me going like even and struggling because every single person on my team was like 2 - 10. I was doing decent that game, but couldnt get a streak going because of the constant airstrikes. When I looked at the scoreboard and saw why I was getting subdued by air support I had to rage quit.

CoD is awesome at its highs, but AWEFUL at its lows. Treyarch did a good job removing 90% of the bullshit, but Ghost single handedly ruins the game when everyone uses it.

So play other game types. Learn the "camp" spots and how to work around them or completely avoid. Use Hacker. Win.

CcrooK said:
So play other game types. Learn the "camp" spots and how to work around them or completely avoid. Use Hacker. Win.

Thats besides the point. Ive played the game enough to know the camp spots on most maps, but that doesnt negate the fact that when people play in that way that the game is just boring.

The problem with Hacker is, by the time you realise your in a game with those kind of players you have already died to a claymore. :p - I keep a hacker class in backup though.

bobs99 ... said:

Ghost isn't the problem; campers are the problem. Ghost has to exist, otherwise UAVs are far too powerful at 3 kills. Without UAVs, everybody would always be hidden, and the problem would be even worse!

My biggest beef is that I can't switch my killstreaks mid-match. So if the other team is using Ghost, my UAV is worthless, and I'm stuck with it all match. I still don't understand why killstreaks aren't attached to the class instead of to the player...

But that's why I never play TDM. Without an objective to direct the flow of traffic, there is literally no incentive to move around the map. Halo solves this problem with power weapons, which provide incentive to move to map hotspots. CoD not only doesn't have power hotspots, but rewards not dying so much that camping is best strategy for the unskilled player!

LowParry

bobs99 ... said:
Thats besides the point. Ive played the game enough to know the camp spots on most maps, but that doesnt negate the fact that when people play in that way that the game is just boring.

The problem with Hacker is, by the time you realise your in a game with those kind of players you have already died to a claymore. :p - I keep a hacker class in backup though.

That's why we have multiple class set ups for situated games. ;)

luoapp

bobs99 ... said:

I actually think one to one confrontation is the most thrilling part of the game. See a red laser -> chuck a flashbang -> rush in and finish him off. If a game turn to be camper vs camper, should I say, you are at least half of the problem.

kuYuri

Things have gotten better for me lately. Since I've been playing with at least 3+ people lately, I've had pretty much nothing but good games. The occasional laggy bits here and there, but overall very good. Combination of TDM, CTF, Demolition, Domination, and some HQ gametypes were played. We've been making teams rage quit.

My K/D has gone up quite a bit since I first started playing and I'm starting to get the hang of things.

Also, Flak Jacket Pro has become my new go-to 1st tier perk lately. That plus Tac Mask Pro is so good in gametypes like HQ and Demo.

luoapp said:
I actually think one to one confrontation is the most thrilling part of the game. See a red laser -> chuck a flashbang -> rush in and finish him off. If a game turn to be camper vs camper, should I say, you are at least half of the problem.

If you want you can add me and watch my games. I dont camp.

The thing is, as someone who DOES constantly run and gun, when everyone on the other team corner camps + has claymores set up its very dull. I am not coming across people often, and when I am they are literally static in a dark corner and very hard to spot.

I dont even mind people who are crouching staring down at a hotspot or whatever, with better reflexes than them its easy to kill them. But the guys who pick obscure spots on the map and just sit there piss me off.

Meh, since posting I partied up with a group of 5 good players, and we literally tore people apart :p Im starting to love the game again.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
bobs99 ... said:
If you want you can add me and watch my games. I dont camp.

The thing is, as someone who DOES constantly run and gun, when everyone on the other team corner camps + has claymores set up its very dull. I am not coming across people often, and when I am they are literally static in a dark corner and very hard to spot.

I dont even mind people who are crouching staring down at a hotspot or whatever, with better reflexes than them its easy to kill them. But the guys who pick obscure spots on the map and just sit there piss me off.

Meh, since posting I partied up with a group of 5 good players, and we literally tore people apart :p Im starting to love the game again.

My friends and I had a string of 6 or 7 games yesterday where the other team scored less than 1500 points in TDM each time. We won 29 in a row overall.

divisionbyzorro said:
Ghost isn't the problem; campers are the problem. Ghost has to exist, otherwise UAVs are far too powerful at 3 kills. Without UAVs, everybody would always be hidden, and the problem would be even worse!

Campers ARE the problem but FPSs survived for 30 years without UAVs.

luoapp

bobs99 ... said:

Brian Fellows said:
My friends and I had a string of 6 or 7 games yesterday where the other team scored less than 1500 points in TDM each time. We won 29 in a row overall.

Those sound boring to me as well. I usually leave the lobby if my team is overwhelming.

luoapp

RJNavarrete said:
You're such a BADASS!
0G3jt.jpg

Anybody have any solutions how they would fix camping? Just curious if anybody had ideas.

My buddies had an idea saying how if you stood in one spot for too long, you'd slowly start showing up as a heat signature on the map, but it might potentially screw up balance and other things. Or instead of a red blip as the signature, they could make a general circle in the area of the camper.

Lionheart1827 said:
Anybody have any solutions how they would fix camping? Just curious if anybody had ideas.

My greatest contribution to the internet so far, from about a year ago:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19084171&postcount=20146

Essentially, people camp because they're afraid of dying and losing their killstreak. So drop the killstreak system and replace it with something that still rewards skill, yet has a milder death penalty.

EDIT: I said something very similar back in the MW2 thread here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19085297&postcount=20173

I've been thinking about this for a long time :)

RJNavarrete said:
That's for direct hits, my man. Are you really going to downplay a bounce kill off a crane like that? SMH.

I stopped being impressed by those after about a week into MW2. Like you said; it's a one-in-a-million chance. You blindly threw away your tomahawk, which could have been used in a real combat situation, hoping to get an awesome killcam. How many times have you wasted that tomahawk doing the same thing? In this case, you got lucky; plain and simple. It's amusing, but not really impressive.

Just my personal opinion, of course.

divisionbyzorro said:
I stopped being impressed by those after about a week into MW2. Like you said; it's a one-in-a-million chance. You blindly threw away your tomahawk, which could have been used in a real combat situation, hoping to get an awesome killcam. How many times have you wasted that tomahawk doing the same thing? In this case, you got lucky; plain and simple. It's amusing, but not really impressive.

Just my personal opinion, of course.
Of course, I rock scavenger, so your point is a little moot... And if you could see the original filename, you'd see I titled it "SoLucky"

;]

divisionbyzorro said:
My greatest contribution to the internet so far, from about a year ago:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19084171&postcount=20146

Essentially, people camp because they're afraid of dying and losing their killstreak. So drop the killstreak system and replace it with something that still rewards skill, yet has a milder death penalty.

EDIT: I said something very similar back in the MW2 thread here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19085297&postcount=20173

I've been thinking about this for a long time :)

Get ready for this system to be used without your knowledge in the 2nd CoD after this one.

Every time we are dominating someone and everyone quits we get no one put into our match. We sure do get placed in a bunch of 150-10 matches though. 4 times in a row now of guaranteed losses. Kills spm too. It should at least not ho in losses or wins if you get placed in halfway

Lead Based Paint said:
Get ready for this system to be used without your knowledge in the 2nd CoD after this one.

I would pay them to implement it right now!
I'll sue them for millions if they use it without cutting me a check

snacknuts

we all knew her
Lionheart1827 said:
Anybody have any solutions how they would fix camping?

I don't understand this line of thought. Why does camping need to be "fixed"? Do the runners and gunners of the CoDiverse want to force everyone to play the same way they do? I think the Hacker perk and the Kill Cam help out with this as much as can be expected. I suck at running and gunning, so I make frequent use of the motion sensor to try to get the jump on people who come blindly charging into my little corner of the world. I'll get a couple kills, then pack up and (slowly and carefully) head somewhere else. My performance is almost always inversely proportional to the amount of time I spend trying to sprint all over the place to take on people Rambo style.

luoapp

RJNavarrete said:
That's for direct hits, my man. Are you really going to downplay a bounce kill off a crane like that? SMH.

Bouncing off or direct hit, doesn't matter. I think the game logic is something like that: game calculates the trajectory first, and if it passes the vicinity of an enemy, then game decides he is hit. And this "projectile" hit box is considerably bigger than bullet hit box. After that, game renders the animation showing your projectile hit the enemy, although in reality, it may hit 2 feet away.

zesty said:
I don't understand this line of thought. Why does camping need to be "fixed"? Do the runners and gunners of the CoDiverse want to force everyone to play the same way they do? I think the Hacker perk and the Kill Cam help out with this as much as can be expected. I suck at running and gunning, so I make frequent use of the motion sensor to try to get the jump on people who come blindly charging into my little corner of the world. I'll get a couple kills, then pack up and (slowly and carefully) head somewhere else. My performance is almost always inversely proportional to the amount of time I spend trying to sprint all over the place to take on people Rambo style.
:_(

zesty said:

I understand where you are coming from but wouldn't you have more fun running and gunning?

I was a HUGE camper on MW2, I used to camp for nukes lol. With Black Ops I stopped caring, started running and gunning and quite frankly my performances have been so much better because of it AND im having more fun.

Sure, not everyone should play the same way, but if your just sort of camping to maintain a K/D ratio - stop caring and have fun with the actual gameplay! I garuntee that you will get good enough to pull off better performances, especially as you will be meeting people more often.

Running and gunning effectively actually involves using the radar to get the drop on people, so its not like you have to change your playstyle. Its just a lot more high octane.

Brian Fellows said:
I don't have any problem with campers.

Me neither. I've prestiged three times and have been killed by someone in a corner ADS maybe two or three times. Unless I have a different opinion of camping than everybody else.

eg.

WMD - Staying on the top floor of the building between A and B, running to cover both staircases and keeping an eye on the path down from C. Is this camping? Cuz I do that sometimes.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
PalaceBrother said:
Me neither. I've prestiged three times and have been killed by someone in a corner ADS maybe two or three times. Unless I have a different opinion of camping than everybody else.

eg.

WMD - Staying on the top floor of the building between A and B, running to cover both staircases and keeping an eye on the path down from C. Is this camping? Cuz I do that sometimes.

Many people would say yes.

I've been cussed out for be being a camper for patrolling the whole area around B3 and B4.

WMD.jpg

Brian Fellows said:

Wouldn't you have more fun even carefully moving around the map? Predicting spawns and carefully moving towards the enemy positions?

It must get the adrenaline pumping a bit more than simply staying put. If people really enjoy snaring people into they're trap then fair enough, but people who camp because they are scared of trying a more aggressive playstyle really should just try it. It is just a video game after all.

EDIT: Dont get me wrong, people who patrol an area are fine by my book, everyone does that. Its the people who lie prone, or crouch in a corner... just waiting for someone to go past who really annoy me. I haven't prestiged, and ive heard that this happens less in the prestige playlist, but its happened tons to me just today.

I mean I get games where multiple members of the enemy team is doing it. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and prestige?

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
bobs99 ... said:
Wouldn't you have more fun even carefully moving around the map? Predicting spawns and carefully moving towards the enemy positions?

Generally that is what I do. I let my teammates contest the hotspots head on and I sneak around back the the enemy.

But there are maps where I have favorite spots and if I get there you are going to have to remove me. But that still doesn't mean I stay in just one spot. The beach on Crisis is a good example. I move from side to side using all the rocks as cover. From time to time I'll climb a rock and wait for someone to come out of the bunker. But I only stay there for maybe 10 seconds at most before I get down and head to the other end of the beach.

The B3/B4 area of WMD is another spot I like to hang out.

Brian Fellows said:
Generally that is what I do. I let my teammates contest the hotspots head on and I sneak around back the the enemy.

Yeah I edited my post after seeing yours and PalaceBrothers post.
The way I see it, you get people who flat out run and gun and thats how I like to play. Its not realistic, but realism be damned, its fun.

Then you get the more realistic players, who move much more carefully but still make calculated pushes and so on.

Then you get the bloody campers... grrr

Dont get me wrong, people who patrol an area are fine by my book, everyone does that. Its the people who lie prone, or crouch in a corner... just waiting for someone to go past who really annoy me. I haven't prestiged, and ive heard that this happens less in the prestige playlist, but its happened tons to me just today.

I mean I get games where multiple members of the enemy team is doing it. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and prestige?

I know there are people out there who hate on run and gunners and I agree, most people who just run around without purpose are doing it wrong, but I think running and gunning with purpose can be pretty damn exciting.

luoapp

Brian Fellows said:
Many people would say yes.

I've been cussed out for be being a camper for patrolling the whole area around B3 and B4.

Sometimes, I stay in the building at C3 and cover all four sides. I guess I am a camper, right?

Also, snipers? Are they campers by definition?

Top Bottom