• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

I was excited to be playing against a party of 6 with all 10 win ratios and 2 kd or better. Turns out the guy going 0-20 on our team was just helping them boost to their SR71s and Chopper gunners. yay. Ended up just camping on his spawn and killing the guys running to him trying to get their killstreaks. How fun is it to just win by not actually playing the game? Seriously.

I guess the lack of DLC exclusive playlists means we won't get like a week long double XP time period like World at War DLC lists had :( I have little free time for the weekend double XP

cuevas said:
How fun is it to just win by not actually playing the game? Seriously.

A lot. Playing to win is a frustrating mess that has you relying on randoms and a good connection, stuff I have no control over. The most fun I've had with this game is messing with people on the enemies team or seeing how good I can do with goofy weapons. Your cheating guy though, I don't know why people would do something like that.

Tkawsome said:
A lot. Playing to win is a frustrating mess that has you relying on randoms and a good connection, stuff I have no control over. The most fun I've had with this game is messing with people on the enemies team or seeing how good I can do with goofy weapons. Your cheating guy though, I don't know why people would do something like that.

Overcoming the badness of your teammates is part of the fun! They do it because they know they can't get big killstreaks or scores by playing normally.

Tried to play about ten matches and only two of them were able to connect. The first match was in Nuke Town (HFFA) and it respawned me in the same spot five times in a row. Each time I was shot the instant I spawned. The other match I got connected to only had one connection with full bars, everyone else was red. It ended one minute after I got in.

It's like this game is begging for me to hate it. I still have fun in the random match, but it really feels like more trouble then it's worth lately.

Not sure why but I play considerably worse when in a party with a few friends. And its not that my friends are that good, taking away kills that I'd normally have playing solo. I'm talking aboput kd ratio. Its definitely some sort of lag issue. Happens EVERY time I'm in even a party of 2 with one certain friend.

I'll be playing by myself in HC FFA. 30-9, 27-13, 30-6, etc, playing great. he gets on, sends me a request. We party up, play some HC team dm usually. I'll go like 11-13, 12-9. 7-13. Something awful for the most part.

I mostly play alone, for this reason. I play HC Free-For-All. Almost always at the top or top 3. I get into a party with friends and I'm lucky to even go positive. Its so annoying. Meanwhile it doesnt seem to affect my buddy at all? He plays about the same (kd wise) with or without me? WTF?

Sidenote: I dont really care much about my KD, its just a very noticable difference playing solo or with friends.

This is starting to irritate me, every so often black ops pc wont list any servers in the server browser. It says 0 (10,000) servers as if I have filters applied, when none are. Anybody have any ideas to try to the game and or steam to fix my issue once and for all?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
God I love Hardline Pro. I'm gonna be sad when it's nerfed.

I just started using the first LMG the other night (HK-21?) and I'm really digging it. I almost always ignore LMGs in COD, but I really like the gun looks on a visually level and it feels incredibly powerful (on hardcore lol).

Nelo Ice

Banned
so played 2 games of domination just now and ive gotten 2x chopper gunners and 1x gunship from around 10 care packages

also im using hardline pro and no i didnt have to reroll for the above killstreaks

*goes off to show off to cousins who always complain about getting shitty care packages* lol

is it just me, or have all the good players stopped playing cod. it just seems like i have been doing so much better recently with 40+ kills per game. maybe i just have good luck.

Browns Town said:
Not sure why but I play considerably worse when in a party with a few friends. And its not that my friends are that good, taking away kills that I'd normally have playing solo. I'm talking aboput kd ratio. Its definitely some sort of lag issue. Happens EVERY time I'm in even a party of 2 with one certain friend.

I'll be playing by myself in HC FFA. 30-9, 27-13, 30-6, etc, playing great. he gets on, sends me a request. We party up, play some HC team dm usually. I'll go like 11-13, 12-9. 7-13. Something awful for the most part.

I mostly play alone, for this reason. I play HC Free-For-All. Almost always at the top or top 3. I get into a party with friends and I'm lucky to even go positive. Its so annoying. Meanwhile it doesnt seem to affect my buddy at all? He plays about the same (kd wise) with or without me? WTF?

Sidenote: I dont really care much about my KD, its just a very noticable difference playing solo or with friends.

It has nothing to do with lag. FFA is far easier than TDM to get good ratios. Less players on the map, plus your enemies aren't working as a team. I used to play FFA exclusively in MW2 before I got bored with how easy it was, and I've found the same to be true here.

Start playing TDM when you're playing solo, and with practice you'll get better at understanding map flow and player behavior in a team-based game. It's just really hard to exclusively play FFA solo and then dabble in TDM from time to time.

Nelo Ice said:
so played 2 games of domination just now and ive gotten 2x chopper gunners and 1x gunship from around 10 care packages

also im using hardline pro and no i didnt have to reroll for the above killstreaks

*goes off to show off to cousins who always complain about getting shitty care packages* lol
Yeah I swear something seemed odd last night. On just one game last night I got an Blackbird, then a Chopper Gunner and I was very happy and then got an ammo and thought that's more like the regular. Rerolled it and got another chopper gunner!

cameltoe

I watched a vid last night of DEM on jungle....same shit. One dude was 162-7 another 116-10.....one poor bastard on the opposing team was 5-105! WTF....

So why the fuck aren't you guys posting impressions of the DLC maps? I'm waiting to see the opinion of the usual suspects before I take the plunge.

ASSEMBLE.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
OG_Original Gamer said:
Not feeling Kowloon, to many doors, mot a good map for killstreak rewards.
Kowloon is the only map I didn't like on first impression. Seems like it's a pretty convoluted design, and yeah, it has tons of entry points, corridors, etc. I had no idea where I was being shot at from half the time; had my worst game in a long time. Definitely has a steep learning curve.

Stadium isn't Nuketown 2.0 like some people were suggesting. It's at least two, maybe three times as large (big enough to be in the Ground War rotation, at least). Berlin Wall, on the other hand, seems smaller than I was expecting. And Discovery is actually quite beautiful in places; almost doesn't look like a COD map.

All in all, I like the maps. Definitely better than either MW2 pack.

The servers were absolutely atrocious this morning, and there were only 300,000 people online. Can't imagine they'll be much better later when everyone's off school/work.

eek5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGtJ7Y1iF80

played a handful of games on the new maps. didn't do too well but i cut whatever i could lol. i wish they brought in the new map pack playlist because people just end up backing out of the lobby when old maps come up anyway so i was forced to rematchmake over and over. the only nice part is since there was a ton of turnover we were able to pick up a couple random people several times which made for pretty fun times

from what i've played i would rate the maps at:

kowloon - 8/10
stadium - 7/10
berlin wall - 4/10
discovery - 5/10
ascension - 8/10

i only played stadium 3 times and kowloon once though. I ran into a ton of corner campers and people prone in the middle of nowhere on berlin and discovery which really soured me on those maps but classic blops maps were similar the first couple of weeks so i hope things get better..

hacker is useful on berlin because of all the houses people camp in. i recommend ninja for discovery because most of the buildings have metal floors that are really loud

Ive mostly been screwing around by myself with Ascension - the new zombie map

Lots of new stuff.
Anyone know what the PhD cola does? I didnt seem to notice a difference.

The other maps I just ran around for a few minutes in each in a private match. Seem ok, something different to look at. I like the interactivity they are starting to embed in each map. The auto turrets of the Berlin Wall - and no Ghost Pro does NOT stop them.
The blowable bridge on Discovery.
One of the maps theres a huge plane that flies right over head near the beginning.
Just cool little details. Id like to see more of that in the future.

aku:jiki

Crap! I forgot to charge my accoutn with the VISA with money for today and I'm in a different country than my XBL account was made in (so I can't just pick up physical points). Here's hoping that speed transfer between international banks I just paid for actually works!

cameltoe said:
I watched a vid last night of DEM on jungle....same shit. One dude was 162-7 another 116-10.....one poor bastard on the opposing team was 5-105! WTF....
How does that matter though?

The only reason you only see scores like 150-10 in Demolition is because Demo is three rounds and a match can last literally 25 minutes, where your average Domination and TDM match only last 5-10 minutes, and 10 minutes is on the very extreme end.

Also, the spawns don't move which allow for spawn-area TDM fun. It's the best way to play CoD.

aku:jiki said:
Also, the spawns don't move which allow for spawn-area TDM fun. It's the best way to play CoD.

It's a completely and utterly broken gametype with regards to spawns. I don't enjoy those sorts of exploits even when I'm on the winning team.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
OG_Original Gamer said:
Not feeling Kowloon, to many doors, mot a good map for killstreak rewards.

Is it like a rooftop version of cracked?

divisionbyzorro said:
It's a completely and utterly broken gametype with regards to spawns. I don't enjoy those sorts of exploits even when I'm on the winning team.

I guess yesterday when I said that I have no problem with campers I should have clarified that I was only talking about TDM. Which is what I play 99% of the time. Demolition on the other hand is nothing but camping cunts and explosive spamming bitches. But you can sometimes get 3 or 4 plants in a match so I endure it for 6 or 7 matches each prestige.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Almost a million people online right now — haven't seen numbers like that for a mid-afternoon since the game released. I'd be shocked if the map pack wasn't one of the biggest sellers ever in terms of DLC on day one.

Well this is absolutely ridiculous, I can't even purchase MS Points to buy the damn thing due to the "high volume of people trying to buy points". Seriously if anyone has a 1600 MS Points card I'll PayPal you $20 for it. Has anyone else tried purchasing MS points today?

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Didn't get a huge chance to play the maps last night. Nothing really stands out as being great yet.

Really impressed by how well the game groups people with the maps together. Every game I played within an hour of the maps release was with other people who had the maps.

LowParry

Berlin Wall is probably my favorite of the four new maps. There's so much that you can do on what kind of play style you bring. Sniping I'm having a blast with that map.

Top Bottom