• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

CcrooK said:
Berlin Wall is probably my favorite of the four new maps. There's so much that you can do on what kind of play style you bring. Sniping I'm having a blast with that map.

I end up just killing people sitting with shotguns on stairs, fucking boring map.

My initial map pack impressions after having only played two games on each map:

• Kowloon: Fucking horrible. Worst map in the game. Way too much stuff to climb around and jump over. Camper's paradise.
  • Discovery: Too soon to say. Seems pretty good though. I need some more time to mess around with it.
  • Stadium: Awesome map. Best in the pack. Loads of fun for running and gunning with SMGs; just the right size too.
  • Berlin Wall: Solid, all-around map. Nothing really special, but nothing to complain about. (The auto-turrets are completely superfluous and are functionally just a bottomless pit with a different skin.)

And while not related to maps, the Kiparis + Extended Mags is pretty damn fun to use with Scavenger. Just throwing that out there.

SpacLock

You won't know how good the maps are until you actually play on them for a while. Once you know the maps and see how people adapt and play on them, then you can really judge. There's quite a few maps that I disliked or liked when the game first came out that I've changed my mind about soon after.

spiderman123 said:
Holy shit at the camping man !! I still rape these kids but holy shit 1 million campers

Yep. :(

The next CoD game needs to have Tactical Nuke backpacks which activate when someone stands still for too long. That would be awesome.

Latest on the PC version -

pcdev - New patch is in QA. Includes fix for playing older films. #codblackops #pc

pcdev - Also: create-a-class issue after prestige, shader warming improvement, client + server stability improvements, and more.

http://twitter.com/#!/pcdev

Also - http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/gamelife/2011/01/the_numbers_mason_V2.jpg

1an42.jpg

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Strider2K99 said:
First Strike only playlists just went live.
Yeah, that was quick. I guess lots of people complained.

SHIVAPRO

Anybody looking for players

Combat Summary

k/d 2.39
W/L 3.09
Prestige 8
Score Per Min 327.92
TD k/d 2.47

edit: re-posted with GT for Xbox Live

Strider2K99 said:
First Strike only playlists just went live.

Good news. I was just about to complain that the lack of this playlist was ruining the game. Matchmaking is terrible at the moment. People are quitting lobbies left and right, so the matchmaking servers are overwhelmed. Plus, even though tons of people are buying the maps, tons of people still haven't, so the matchmaking is even harder since the people with the maps are spread all over the place.

It was a ridiculously stupid idea not to have a mappack playlist right away. Problem solved though, I guess!

Those Black Ops numbers are crazy. A bit scary that we've killed nine times the world population...

Anyway, I agree that we won't really know the full extent of how the maps are played until trends settle down, but can anyone give me a feeling on Stadium? That was the only one that looked pretty bad to me, seeing as I hate Noobtown. Is it that bad as a spawn-killing, total chaos map? Does it compare to any of the non-first strike maps?

VALKYRAY

Banned
Nemic77 said:
Why even upload a video like that? There's no skill involved at all. A big part of the CoD community can be so annoying... :S
that's not even spawn trapping, that's boosting of KD. should be banned for cheating.

DRE Fei

Freezie KO said:
Those Black Ops numbers are crazy. A bit scary that we've killed nine times the world population...

Anyway, I agree that we won't really know the full extent of how the maps are played until trends settle down, but can anyone give me a feeling on Stadium? That was the only one that looked pretty bad to me, seeing as I hate Noobtown. Is it that bad as a spawn-killing, total chaos map? Does it compare to any of the non-first strike maps?
Stadium isn't as crazy as nuketown. I haven't noticed much spawn killing at this point, but it's fast paced like summit.

DRE Fei said:
Stadium isn't as crazy as nuketown. I haven't noticed much spawn killing at this point, but it's fast paced like summit.

Okay, thanks. I think Summit is a fine map. You can even hang back a little and just work the perimeter if you want.

I just can't stand Nuketown. I got spawn-killed four times in a row today on that map in a Domination game, and my team was winning.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
A day of black ops is in order , i seem to win a shitload of free for alls, so i guess i will play free for alls , all day

Got lots of crackers and cheese, got some fine afghan hashish to smoke, and got some really good coffee beside me.

Today will be a good day.

fuck i may even order a pizza in tonight to top this wonderfull call of duty day off.!

Kentpaul said:
A day of black ops is in order , i seem to win a shitload of free for alls, so i guess i will play free for alls , all day

Got lots of crackers and cheese, got some fine afghan hashish to smoke, and got some really good coffee beside me.

Today will be a good day.

fuck i may even order a pizza in tonight to top this wonderfull call of duty day off.!
Your day is the antithesis of mine. Snowpocalypse in Toronto so the office is closed.

BLOPS Day!

<ring>
"This is the school board calling. Your childrens' schools are closed"

I'd be tempted to post fuuu.jpg, but making snow angels at home is as good as figuring out the new maps right?

...right?

tuco11

At work, can you fill me in on what are the First Strike Playlists? Good to hear, didnt buy the map pack first day to play old maps.

cameltoe

spiderman123 said:
SHIVAPRO

Anybody looking for players

Combat Summary

k/d 2.39
W/L 3.09
Prestige 8
Score Per Min 327.92
TD k/d 2.47

edit: re-posted with GT for Xbox Live

Ill add you

KD 3.32
w/l 1.02
TD KD 3.09

xsmoothupinyax

Thinking about re-buying this game, but for the PS3 this time. I have a question:

Is the PS3 version as bad as people say it is? I've heard some bad things, but I just want to know if any of the problems are game-breakers.

-Yeti said:
Thinking about re-buying this game, but for the PS3 this time. I have a question:

Is the PS3 version as bad as people say it is? I've heard some bad things, but I just want to know if any of the problems are game-breakers.
No, not at all. I play both versions and the PS3 version I do find has more connection issues, but that's really about it. Depending on how your connection at home is, this might not even affect you too much. Sometimes I have to back out of a game or two until I get a lobby with a decent connection and then I'm fine after that.

An added bonus and this is all from my ongoing personal perspective. There are more idiots on Live. More campers, more noob-tubers, more teammates that won't help you cap a flag even if they are 10 feet away. In general I get way less frustrated when I play on the PS3 vs the Xbox.

snacknuts

we all knew her
-Yeti said:

I have not played any of the CoD games on 360, but I love the hell out of Black Ops on the PS3. I have a LOT fewer connection issues with this most recent patch than I had before, and that was my main gripe.

aku:jiki

Man, this region bullshit they're pulling with the DLC was really the final nail in Treyarch's coffin for me. Just because I got a job in a different country, I don't get the to play this on the account I've owned and gathered stats on for five years. Awesome idea.

I'm still buying it because there is a workaround and, since I'm in a different country, I don't want to miss out on playing with my friends back home...but fuck fucking Treyarch after this. They're getting this last $10, and then I'm never giving them money again.

(One funny aspect of this is that all the troops stationed around the world, who Activision love to say that they love and support, are all fucked over by this. Fantastic fucking work, bureaucrats.)

divisionbyzorro said:
It's a completely and utterly broken gametype with regards to spawns. I don't enjoy those sorts of exploits even when I'm on the winning team.
How so? Besides the fact that you think it's annoying to die right after spawning - which can happen just as well in the other modes (just not as often) - what is the problem with spawn battles? Every map in both games that have Demo have a few spawn points that are a bit away from the big cluster of spawn points. You can always slip out and not partake if you don't like playing spawn area TDM.

If you're in a match where you just cannot get out no matter what, you're up against a really good team and they would've probably stomped you if you played normally too. Average players cannot achieve a complete spawn lock because of what I just said in the last paragraph.

It's like I always say - they need a "long-form TDM" with static spawns. That would fix so many of CoD's problems.

(Highrise obviously doesn't count.)

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Well, Kowloon is definitely one of the worst maps in the series. I've played it twice as much as any of the other new maps (since it keeps coming up for some reason), and it still doesn't make sense to me. I "get" all of the other maps by now, and have a feel for them, but Kowloon just feels like a randomized, condensed mess. I'm sure I'll learn it eventually, but this is really just a horribly designed map.

weeneo

Neo Member
the game is b0rked for me now. there aren't enough players, for good matches, who don't have the mappack.

can't download the DLC maps because its only compatible with the german version(i have bought my copy in the uk)
also i can't download it from a foreign country because of the IP lock.

thanks activision/treyarch for the nice treatment :/

vatstep

AnEternalEnigma said:
Just because you don't "get it" doesn't make it horrible.

Personally, I think Kowloon is the best map of the pack.
Well, I don't "get" it because I think it's a poorly-designed map; if you don't, that's fine. There's just a lot going on with the multiple levels, stuff to climb through and over, etc. There have been too many instances already where I've felt like I've been fighting the map, not the enemy. The rest of the new maps have some sort of "flow" (overused word, yes) to them, but Kowloon doesn't really seem to. They obviously took a risk with this one — definitely seems to be a love it or hate it map.

I like it because the zip-lines attract dummies that I can shoot. :)

Also, they can be useful if you're trying to cover both A and B in Domination. If you're in the building above B, you can zip down to A if someone starts capturing it.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Played a fair bit of the DLC playlist last night.

Still not liking any of the maps. All 4 of them seem to play very campy. Which is hopefully due to people being unfamiliar with the maps, but it does seem like they are designed to contain as many little rooms with great sight lines as they could fit.

Summit remains the only snowy map in a Call of Duty game that doesn't suck.

weeneo said:
the game is b0rked for me now. there aren't enough players, for good matches, who don't have the mappack.

can't download the DLC maps because its only compatible with the german version(i have bought my copy in the uk)
also i can't download it from a foreign country because of the IP lock.

thanks activision/treyarch for the nice treatment :/

Same for me! I realized that shortly after I had bought the map pack, 1200 points burned!

That was my first and last DLC I bought for a COD game! This was my goto game for a while and I was actually planning on playing it more often and was even willing to buy all the DLC, cause I was really having fun with it. Now it´s already gathering dust on the shelf.

user_nat said:
Still not liking any of the maps. All 4 of them seem to play very campy. Which is hopefully due to people being unfamiliar with the maps, but it does seem like they are designed to contain as many little rooms with great sight lines as they could fit.

This is definitely the case at the moment. When you don't know how to move about the map, you're not going to move much, if at all. I think the maps will flow better as people learn the layouts.

I still think Kowloon is the exception. The map is a maze of little rooms. It's going to remain a nightmare to play for the lifetime of the game.

divisionbyzorro said:
This is definitely the case at the moment. When you don't know how to move about the map, you're not going to move much, if at all. I think the maps will flow better as people learn the layouts.

I still think Kowloon is the exception. The map is a maze of little rooms. It's going to remain a nightmare to play for the lifetime of the game.

I ran around constantly with Marathon Pro/Lightweight Pro with the 74u on my very first Discovery TDM and went 22-4 because everyone was so hesitant to move. :lol

aku:jiki

I think I like the maps so far. Discovery and Berlin Wall are cool to me because they're just like some of the World at War maps, which is to say not very suitable for CoD but fun because of it.

Stadium kinda sucked, I thought. It was at least horrible in Domination, that C flag is like the worst ever! Kowloon feels pretty bad so far too... I thought it would be fun but it's just annoying chaos like Nuketown. :(

Top Bottom