• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

It's gotten to be where there's only one/two classes I enjoy playing this game with anymore:

• AK47 + Extended Mags
  • Python + Speed Reloader
  • Frag, Stun, C4
  • Scavenger Pro
  • Sleight of Hand Pro
  • Marathon Pro

Alternately, I'll switch Scavenger for Flak Jacket and put Dual Mags on instead of Extended Mags to make up for the ammo problem. The AK47 is a fantastic weapon at all ranges; it may not be the "best" overall gun, but it's the one I'm having the most fun and success with by far. I just run my ass off and hope for the best. Recently I tried going back to my old classes, but even when I had fantastic games I didn't enjoy myself. AK74 for life, baby!

I've also gotten bored with the 8-9-11 killstreak setup. Unfortunately, there aren't many killstreaks left that are all that fun to dick around with. I'm currently using the "bomber" setup (RC/Napalm/Thunder), which can be entertaining when it works, but it rarely works. You often find the RC cars end up driving around for 30 seconds without finding anybody, but it certainly is entertaining to pick up a three-piece on a flag in Domination with one of those cheap little suckers. Maybe next time I'll slap on Hardline, stockpile six of 'em, and just let 'em rip near the end of the round. (Where's the :lol when you need it!?)

I really wish the shotguns were actually good in this game. Whenever I was bored of MW2 I'd just build a SPAS-12 or M1411 kit and go nuts; it wouldn't always work, but it at least had a shot. I've tried building Stakeout kits, and the only way I can get any success with them is in FFA (and most of the people who play FFA are so stupid that I could probably play pistols only and win every match
did that already - FFA is so boring...
). I've said it before, and I'll say it again - why did they bother making shotguns primaries if they were going to nerf them to hell and back?!

I know this is sacrilege, but it is somewhat telling that it took me 13 days to get bored of MW2, and I'm really getting bored after 3.5 days of Black Ops...

lookin for people to play with. i am only playing headquarters and dont have the new maps. if interested, just send me a message on live.
GT: AlmostMilk

Pennybags

divisionbyzorro said:
Don't believe what you see in montages. :)

I've yet to see someone who is consistent with the Tomahawk. It's easily the hardest skill to master in this game.

I pride myself on being a fairly good scalper, probably the only real "trick" I have. My last month of MW2 involved the use of riot shield + throwing knives only— after a while, I was better with those than with run 'n gunning!

That being said, the ballistic knife projectile is definitely harder to use/master.

tsigo said:
Since it seems like so many people were unaware of the one alternate route into the Garage on Firing Range, I figured I'd finally let this one out of the bag. I have yet to see anyone else use it, but I'm sure it's known.

Fuck. Mind blown.

spiderman123 said:
Anybody want to party up and cause some Mayhem.

shiiiit, we went 14-1 I think. Gg's. I got a new high killstreak at 26. It was fun racing around trying to get the next chopper gunner or with the constant barrage of SR-71s.

254yqdy.jpg

eek5

tsigo said:
Since it seems like so many people were unaware of the one alternate route into the Garage on Firing Range, I figured I'd finally let this one out of the bag. I have yet to see anyone else use it, but I'm sure it's known.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H00cMCPyEVg
There are boxes on the left that you can get up to that ledge from without having to climb up the rock to run across as well. You can also get up on the tires on the other side.

Maffis

Thnikkaman said:
I wonder if I'll manage to reach 1st prestige then, that's all I want.

Also do I only get one additional custom class slot per prestige round?

You get one more custom loadout at 1st prestige, then they come every second time you prestige.
I have 9 now and I'm prestige 7, so you will definitely have them all before the last one.

aku:jiki

Woo-hoo! I went 77-22 on Jungle with the L96! I'm not really sure how that happened, the other team must have been terrible. I still have lots of trouble with sniping in this game so it's not because I'm a beast of elpresador stature or anything. Fun though!

The match was basically 20 minutes of this (though I wasn't always by this bridge, lol):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ovhOa90IV4

Being a sniper in this game is exhausting!

Maffis said:
You get one more custom loadout at 1st prestige, then they come every second time you prestige.
I have 9 now and I'm prestige 7, so you will definitely have them all before the last one.
Last slot is unlocked at prestige 9. Not that it really matters - how many run and gun or camping classes can you have? It's not like this game has any variety...

snap0212

aku:jiki said:
Woo-hoo! I went 77-22 on Jungle with the L96! I'm not really sure how that happened, the other team must have been terrible. I still have lots of trouble with sniping in this game so it's not because I'm a beast of elpresador stature or anything. Fun though!

The match was basically 20 minutes of this (though I wasn't always by this bridge, lol):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ovhOa90IV4

Being a sniper in this game is exhausting!

Last slot is unlocked at prestige 9. Not that it really matters - how many run and gun or camping classes can you have? It's not like this game has any variety...
Nice to see that there are still snipers around. I'll get a 360 copy today (for a week)... let's see if it's any different on the 360. :)

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Maffis said:
Thanks for the response! I've made some pretty dumb blops-bucks spending decisions and have a set of favourite weapons now. Plus it helps to be able to change tactics if I'm up against a team of snipers, for example.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
No the issue that Nabs is commenting on is that challenges are reporting double XP when they pop-up, but at the end of the match it's just the regular value. It's kind of a slap in the face for you excitement that you just got 40k points in one match.

vocab

Stallion Free said:
Hold up. You have been getting 1+ levels per match?

Almost. I either get a full level, or close to a full bar in some cases. Each level is making that a bit harder. Almost 40. I was 34, and only played maybe 4-7 map changes.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
vocab said:
Almost. I either get a full level, or close to a full bar in some cases. Each level is making that a bit harder. Almost 40. I was 34, and only played maybe 4-7 map changes.
Wtf. Why is my double XP broken. I'm getting robbed hardcore.

Didn't search through the thread to see if it was mentioned, but there's actually a new temporary core game type at least on PS3. 24/7 Nuketown. Just cycles between the different modes all on the Nuketown map. I don't bother with it because honestly I just can't do well on that map, but figured some people may have overlooked it.

I played all the new maps on Live last night. Definitely need to get some more time in on them, but at least for Domination I just found there was a fair bit of camping going on in every map. Guess I'll have to see if that improves.

tsigo

eek5 said:
There are boxes on the left that you can get up to that ledge from without having to climb up the rock to run across as well. You can also get up on the tires on the other side.

The tires were the "one alternate route" I was talking about that was posted a while back and surprisingly people didn't know about it.

Mileena

Banned
Same shit on PS3. Just got on and my friend said they've only gotten in a couple of full matches in over an hour of playtime. Double XP weekend annihilated, thanks Treyarch!

I did go from 44 7th prestige to 14 8th prestige in like three hours though.

I keep getting an error message that says "You've been signed out of the Playstation Network" even though I'm still signed in. It kicks me out of the game entirely and knocks me back to the main menu, and it's happening pretty often this past week. Even worse, it undoes all the changes I've made to my classes and pretends the last match (or couple of matches) never happened. Just now I was playing around in combat training and got a multi-kill grenade to unlock Warlord Pro, I even purchased the upgrade. Once the match was done I got the error message and now it says I've never met the requirements to unlock Warlord Pro. I'm not sure if the class change stuff happens in the actual multiplayer, but the error message still kicks me out of games.

corkscrewblow said:
Same shit on PS3. Just got on and my friend said they've only gotten in a couple of full matches in over an hour of playtime. Double XP weekend annihilated, thanks Treyarch!

I did go from 44 7th prestige to 14 8th prestige in like three hours though.
What is your PSN ID? I've actually been playing Headquarters today based on your suggestion and doing pretty good, but I find HQ is usually better when you are teamed up. I still prefer the way it worked back in the COD4 days, I find the showing of the HQ before it activates just encourages more camping.

BigBlue1974 said:
What is your PSN ID? I've actually been playing Headquarters today based on your suggestion and doing pretty good, but I find HQ is usually better when you are teamed up. I still prefer the way it worked back in the COD4 days, I find the showing of the HQ before it activates just encourages more camping.

But if they don't show the HQ before it activates, the game is won by the team who spawns closer to the HQ more often (when the teams are otherwise evenly matched). This system is far more fair.

divisionbyzorro said:
But if they don't show the HQ before it activates, the game is won by the team who spawns closer to the HQ more often (when the teams are otherwise evenly matched). This system is far more fair.
Hey, I'm old, I gotta have things to complain about! I actually don't really play HQ because it can really suck playing with randoms. Maybe if it just didn't show up for *SO* long I'd be happier as I just find some games everyone is sitting on the perimeter waiting to toss their grenades.

Yeah, speedtest.net results pretty much mean nothing when it comes to Black Ops. I pulled host last night, most had 4 green bars and the rest had 3. After the match...host migration. Don't even know why it happens. Next game, a bunch of people including myself were 2 yellow and even a couple going back and forth to red. Well done! When I get a good connection it's great, but it's frustrating to have to back out of 3 or 4 games in a row when I've got a constant yellow connection!

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Damn it, care packages, why can't I quit you?! Aside from one good day a while back where I got a CG, gunship and dogs, everything I get out of them recently is worthless. The "best" stuff I get are Valkyries (uncontrollable, total crap) and mortar teams (good for one kill, max), even with re-rolls. And yet, the meta-game of the gamble (and subsequent gamble if you re-roll) is just so endlessly fun and addictive.

soultron

Banned
3 days playtime and I'm a little drained. With every COD title after COD4 (played that stuff for 2 years) I find I burn out quickly.

I'm thinking about finishing my Veteran playthrough (stuck in the ship as Reznov vs. the Brits right now) and then trading it in.

Do you guys think the new maps will reignite my love for MP? Worth the $15?

Songbird

Prodigal Son
TacticalFox88 said:
This weekend is perfect for people who don't like early prestige weapons.
At least it would be perfect if I wasn't only at 43 and probably won't reach prestige by tonight. :( This stuff is getting me down. I hate that there isn't matchmaking on PC, can't they drop me in a dedicated server with roughly equal ratios? Last few games have been 0.20 or less, even using cheesey weapons that have gotten me 1.0+ before.

Nabs

i'm sorry you're having a hard time, but i am so thankful for the server browser. what modes are you playing?

Top Bottom