• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

hamchan

Thnikkaman said:
At least it would be perfect if I wasn't only at 43 and probably won't reach prestige by tonight. :( This stuff is getting me down. I hate that there isn't matchmaking on PC, can't they drop me in a dedicated server with roughly equal ratios? Last few games have been 0.20 or less, even using cheesey weapons that have gotten me 1.0+ before.

I normally just rage quit out of the server if I do that badly. :D

I've found I can only play this game in short bursts for an hour or two, then I get that one really bad game so I just take a break from it.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
hamchan said:
I normally just rage quit out of the server if I do that badly. :D

I've found I can only play this game in short bursts for an hour or two, then I get that one really bad game so I just take a break from it.
I hate ragequitting from the server, because if anything the last few games were full of players legitimately better than me so I didn't want to punk out.

Nabs said:
i'm sorry you're having a hard time, but i am so thankful for the server browser. what modes are you playing?
Either TDM or whatever the server rotation is, so everything really. Problem is that the servers with best latency are full of high-prestige players who hop around with Stakeouts or quick scope faster than I ever could.

G_Berry

Banned
All these lagging fucking kids playing split screen are really starting to grate my ass.

Why can't they put them in their own fucking playlist or make so that you can only play bots or some shit when using split screen.

soultron said:
3 days playtime and I'm a little drained. With every COD title after COD4 (played that stuff for 2 years) I find I burn out quickly.

I'm thinking about finishing my Veteran playthrough (stuck in the ship as Reznov vs. the Brits right now) and then trading it in.

Do you guys think the new maps will reignite my love for MP? Worth the $15?

I feel the same as you, double exp actually got me interested and out of my slump. As for the new maps, they seem aweful, and people seem to love camping on them. I only play with people who DONT own the maps now lol, im tempted to just delete them off my hard drive, but I want to wait a while and see if all the ghost corner camping is just due to people being unfamiliar with the maps.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
So I get back into Black Ops in a big way again after being on vacation by the family, and I still curse the netcode and hit detection every match but I keep coming back to this mess because I somewhat love the gameplay, but what happened to me just now should've made me mad, but I just laughed because I just didn't give a damn.

First match of the day, no friends playing Black Ops yet so I jumped into a team of randoms, getting my last part of Hardline Pro which is sharing a few more packages so I was just throwing them out at the end of a match - I'm on Stadium, I go the actual "stadium" part of the map, throw th SAM package near the opening in the roof for my first time ever, it falls under the railing - no problem since it was a throw-away, and it could probably still be captured - teammates weren't helping me capture so it was the last few seconds anyways, so I throw one of my other care packages perfectly in the middle, enemy came, try to shoot him through the railing there, died because it seems like it's invincible like that one railing on that beach level.

Respawn, see that it's a Chopper Gunner from a distance, but it's in the air somehow, make it back inside the stadium, and spent the last couple seconds of the match how the HELL the package is just floating in mid-air the way it was right there.

And guess what? I can't even make a clip of it, because for some reason again, the replay is missing the last two minutes or so of video - damn it Treyarch.

Lesson learned: don't call in care packages through the hole in the roof in Stadium.

FUUUUU!

I cant believe I spent 15 dollars on the "claymore in stairwell camping in a window map pack."

All of the maps offer little to no play value and are just no fun. They are getting voted out already. Has anybody deleted them and found it better?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Thnikkaman- I find I have very little patience for playing the game alone, but can play it for hours with some buddies. I can have games where I play like total shit (like a 0.3) and still be excited to play the next round.

I don't understand why you guys are bitching about campers so much. Hacker is the only thing you need to beat these fools. I usually run ghost/soh/hack and do pretty well for the most part.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Stallion Free said:
Thnikkaman- I find I have very little patience for playing the game alone, but can play it for hours with some buddies. I can have games where I play like total shit (like a 0.3) and still be excited to play the next round.
Yeah it's no big deal, just something I wanted to get off my chest. So when does the xp weekend finish? Sometime tonight, but I don't know which US time zone it's based off.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Anerythristic said:
FUUUUU!

I cant believe I spent 15 dollars on the "claymore in stairwell camping in a window map pack."

All of the maps offer little to no play value and are just no fun. They are getting voted out already. Has anybody deleted them and found it better?
I've noticed this, too — huge change from just a few days ago. I get the impression that Berlin Wall is the least-liked of all of them. It might just be the mid-period of people getting over the thrill of having new maps, but aren't quite used to them yet, and aren't liking them because they don't play well on them.

I've put in my fair share of playtime on all of them at this point, and Kowloon is still the only one I don't like (it's much better for Domination, since that way I can actually tell where the fuck I am on the map). Berlin Wall is good, but again, is much better for Domination, otherwise it becomes exceedingly campy. Discovery and Stadium are both excellent for everything.

Yeah based on my own experience with the new maps, I think I'm just gonna skip on the map pack when it comes to PS3...who knew, I guess not being the lead console is an advantage for once!

luoapp

spiderman123 said:
HOW THE FUCK CAN SOMEONE GO 1 - 37 seriously JESUS.

Then you have to give him credit for sticking to the end. Of course, I am sure he will blame shitty netcode/lag/hit detection afterward.

Nelo Ice

Banned
gah are the new maps really that bad? i just got the map pack last night after splitting it with my cousin

well at least i only paid $7 for em

Nelo Ice said:
gah are the new maps really that bad? i just got the map pack last night after splitting it with my cousin

well at least i only paid $7 for em

it's that you can't chose which ones you get, a couple are so bad it ruins the whole package.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
corkscrewblow said:
btw when does double XP end? Midnight?
Sometime tomorrow morning. They haven't said when, exactly, but it'll still be going through the night it seems.

Server rules are really starting to grind my fucking balls in this game, if im not being kicked for reasons like "i just dont like you", its putting up with a seemingly endless array of "no dropshots, no grenade launchers, no second chance, no ak74u, no famas, no running, crouch only" and on and on, with servers not announcing these rules in the server name and no way of filtering them out. Makes me wonder what the fucking point of "Ranked" and "Unranked" servers are if ranked servers are still allowed slap restrictions on the players.

If its not me being kicked because an admins pissed off i killed him, its 1 of my group of friends who play, so it means finding a new server and having everyone try and get in and fighting the shitty in-game friend/invite system (Why the fuck cant i just use the Steam overlay ?), just to have the same shit happen all over again.

And even then, trying to get my friends all on the same team is pretty much impossible, either because the teams are full, or the server has team swap disabled.

*Rant Over*

spiderman123 said:
HOW THE FUCK CAN SOMEONE GO 1 - 37 seriously JESUS.
I had a match where a guy went 0-83 against my friends and I. His party member went 6-34 or something like that. That 0-83 will stay in my memories forever, haha. I kept telling my teammates "I swear if he kills one of you, you're booted from the party" lol.

corkscrewblow said:
Getting kicked for dropshotting? For once I'm happy I play CoD on console!

And jump shotting, ive been shooting at an admin once, he managed to get round a corner before i killed him, so i jumped round the corner and finished him off *bam* kicked "Reason = No jumpshotting bitch"

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
A couple weeks ago I got kicked for running. 100% serious.

I'm pretty happy overall with the PC version, occasional wacky rules I run into aside. Servers that disable team switching annoy me to no end though, oh man. It's not like it tells you if a server has that disabled until you join either. And it's bad enough that the game splits you and your friends up 80% of the time to begin with. Such a hassle.

kuYuri

I don't get it, when did the FAMAS become a gun people considered too good? I don't particularly find anything that special about it.

Hell, I prefer the MW2 FAMAS over Black Ops version.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Strider2K99 said:
I don't get it, when did the FAMAS become a gun people considered too good? I don't particularly find anything that special about it.

The MW2 version *is* better. Famas in Blops is all around solid though.

Strider2K99 said:

I agree. The FAMAS is okay, but kicks too much at range. It does have incredible hipfire accuracy though, especially with steady aim. The AUG is similar, but just feels better at range than the FAMAS.

I still say that the AK47 is the best fully-auto assault rifle. Predictable recoil, good raise and ADS, pretty good hipfire accuracy, feels good with a silencer, etc. It just "feels" right.

kuYuri

divisionbyzorro said:
I agree. The FAMAS is okay, but kicks too much at range. It does have incredible hipfire accuracy though, especially with steady aim. The AUG is similar, but just feels better at range than the FAMAS.

I still say that the AK47 is the best fully-auto assault rifle. Predictable recoil, good raise and ADS, pretty good hipfire accuracy, feels good with a silencer, etc. It just "feels" right.

Agree, it really is not that good at range and best at medium to close range. Reminds me of the F2000 from MW2 in it's rate of fire and recoil. I also prefer the AUG, more predictable recoil.

I'm very partial right now to the Galil due to its 35 round magazines.

GeekyDad

Ogs said:
And jump shotting, ive been shooting at an admin once, he managed to get round a corner before i killed him, so i jumped round the corner and finished him off *bam* kicked "Reason = No jumpshotting bitch"

Ha, ha, what?!

So, basically anything that would get him/her killed is against the rules, eh? Sounds like fun.

Xux

Ogs said:
*Rant Over*

Damn, dedicated servers sound awful.

Strider2K99 said:

It, the AUG, and the Stoner out-damage pretty much everything. Probably three of the four OU guns that are actually OP.

Strider2K99 said:
I'm very partial right now to the Galil due to its 35 round magazines.

Those five rounds don't really seem like they'd make much difference at all whatsoever, to me. Especially since you pay for them with a longer reload time. The five more from extended mags seems like it'd matter less.

kuYuri

Xux said:
Those five rounds don't really seem like they'd make much difference at all whatsoever, to me. Especially since you pay for them with a longer reload time. The five more from extended mags seems like it'd matter less.

I don't particularly mind longer reload time, especially as a SoH (Pro) user. I preferred the FAMAS in MW2 over M16 despite the longer reload as well, so that is never really a problem for me.

corkscrewblow said:
AUG... OP?

(laughs)

Maybe you meant FAMAS? No one mentioned AUG was OP.

Strider2K99 said:
I don't particularly mind longer reload time, especially as a SoH (Pro) user. I preferred the FAMAS in MW2 over M16 despite the longer reload as well, so that is never really a problem for me.

Well if the FAMAS is OP, the AUG kind of has to be as well, since they're pretty much the same.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Xux said:
Yeah the game really sucks when I get to pick Jersey servers (I'm CT) and am stuck with a 40 ms ping. Awful.

Nabs and I have become pretty sick with our server selection and we rarely find get in servers with the weirder rules.

Mileena

Banned
Strider2K99 said:
It, the AUG, and the Stoner out-damage pretty much everything. Probably three of the four OU guns that are actually OP.
but yea, I don't really like the AUG or Famas. AK74u, AK47, Galil, Commando and MPL are pretty much all I use.

Nabs

Stallion Free said:
Yeah the game really sucks when I get to pick Jersey servers (I'm CT) and am stuck with a 40 ms ping. Awful.

Nabs and I have become pretty sick with our server selection and we rarely find get in servers with the weirder rules.

Yeah, I haven't had a problem with servers for a while now. 40ms rocks, ^5.

Skilotonn said:
So I get back into Black Ops in a big way again after being on vacation by the family, and I still curse the netcode and hit detection every match but I keep coming back to this mess because I somewhat love the gameplay, but what happened to me just now should've made me mad, but I just laughed because I just didn't give a damn.

First match of the day, no friends playing Black Ops yet so I jumped into a team of randoms, getting my last part of Hardline Pro which is sharing a few more packages so I was just throwing them out at the end of a match - I'm on Stadium, I go the actual "stadium" part of the map, throw th SAM package near the opening in the roof for my first time ever, it falls under the railing - no problem since it was a throw-away, and it could probably still be captured - teammates weren't helping me capture so it was the last few seconds anyways, so I throw one of my other care packages perfectly in the middle, enemy came, try to shoot him through the railing there, died because it seems like it's invincible like that one railing on that beach level.

Respawn, see that it's a Chopper Gunner from a distance, but it's in the air somehow, make it back inside the stadium, and spent the last couple seconds of the match how the HELL the package is just floating in mid-air the way it was right there.

And guess what? I can't even make a clip of it, because for some reason again, the replay is missing the last two minutes or so of video - damn it Treyarch.

Lesson learned: don't call in care packages through the hole in the roof in Stadium.

Yup, know exactly what you are talking about. It happened to a friend of mine and I saw it because I was going over to change it. I actually still have that game in my recent games if you are looking for a clip of the glitch or whatnot.

divisionbyzorro said:

Ak47 with a suppressor and sleight of hand. No red dot, no reflix nothing, just the regular sight. The recoil is very consistent so once you get used to it its a beast. As you say, it just feels right and the thumping sound is therapeutic. :lol Commando with just a suppressor can do some work as well.

Xux

Strider2K99 said:

Well, faster reload time without SoH is faster with it, too. The MW2 FAMAS had a range advantage, too, which meant it's two shot kill range was longer which I've heard made the M16 completely irrelevant according to competitive types. Coincidentally, the higher damage on the Galil gives it a range advantage over the otherwise
superior
identical Enfield.

Not that I'm saying you prefer it 'cause it's a better gun.

Stallion Free said:

Haha, the concept of a server admin just sounds so terrible.

vocab

Xux said:

Yup because peer 2 peer with max packets at 30 and interpolation in full effect sounds so much better.

Stallion Free said:

Aside from people bitching about my play style, and the christian server I played on (lol), I really had no problems. Stupid rule servers existed since COD1. I still love the COD1 sniper only server with maps that are so damn huge.

vatstep

After using mostly the Galil for quite a while, I decided to give the Commando a shot, and I've been really liking it so far. The stats for the two are almost identical (same with the AK-47), but the Commando has a reload of almost a full second faster than the Galil, which for me, is huge — it makes a clear difference even with SoH Pro, which I always use. I'm a compulsive reloader, doing so after pretty much every kill whether I want to or not, and I've noticed it really making a difference so far. The only negative is that the ironsight is taking some time to get used to, as it's a little more difficult to use for long range kills.

Who else here enjoys hacker pro, and booby trapping care packages/ sam turrets/ sentry guns? God I love it, run up, steal it, set trap, and wait. I always crack up when the damn thing blows up and gives me the kill. Just picture the dude, ok lets grab my package, oh what the fuck?! lol

Top Bottom