• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

RedSwirl

Game is $40 right now on Amazon. All platforms. Worth it on PC if I'll probably never boot up the singleplayer?

Frankly I'm still having a lot of fun with Call of Duty 4, but from what little I played on Xbox this seems to have all Modern Warfare 2's improvements and fixes most of that game's mistakes. How much have they fixed on PC?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
RedSwirl said:
Game is $40 right now on Amazon. All platforms. Worth it on PC if I'll probably never boot up the singleplayer?

Frankly I'm still having a lot of fun with Call of Duty 4, but from what little I played on Xbox this seems to have all Modern Warfare 2's improvements and fixes most of that game's mistakes. How much have they fixed on PC?
Me and a couple buddies play on PC on almost a nightly basis. All of the hitching issues we had have been more or less eliminated, we get absolutely no lag (we go for Jersey servers and rarely have a ping over 50 ms) and I think I am the only one who bothered to finish singleplayer.

I definitely think the MP alone is worth 40$. I got 100+ hours so far and have at least 50 more in me.

aku:jiki

I think I've come to the decision that the sentry gun is the best killstreak in the game! God damn that shit is good, especially if you collect a few before you start placing them.

I just had three up on Summit Demolition, one covering the top-floor corridor, the other on the top-floor balcony overlooking their spawn and the other by the A plant site. I scored like 30 sentry kills and they didn't even stand a sliver of a chance of planting. :D

Got the idea when my team sorely needed help to win, and ended up giggling at how effective it was. This one's definitely staying in my loadout!

aku:jiki said:
I think I've come to the decision that the sentry gun is the best killstreak in the game! God damn that shit is good, especially if you collect a few before you start placing them.

I just had three up on Summit Demolition, one covering the top-floor corridor, the other on the top-floor balcony overlooking their spawn and the other by the A plant site. I scored like 30 sentry kills and they didn't even stand a sliver of a chance of planting. :D

Got the idea when my team sorely needed help to win, and ended up giggling at how effective it was. This one's definitely staying in my loadout!

Woah I always assumed you could only have 1 at a time. Setting up like 3 sentry guns in the middle of a map in a way that they all cover eachother would be ace lol.

bobs99 ... said:
Woah I always assumed you could only have 1 at a time. Setting up like 3 sentry guns in the middle of a map in a way that they all cover eachother would be ace lol.

Until someone with Ghost Pro comes in and wrecks your shit. I don't see how that would work against any competent team.

ThirstyFly said:
Until someone with Ghost Pro comes in and wrecks your shit. I don't see how that would work against any competent team.

Yeah Ghost pro is the obvious flaw to the plan, but against a team of idiots it would be insane lol. (but I guess against idiots, anything works well :p)

snacknuts

we all knew her
As someone who pretty much always has Ghost Pro and Hacker Pro enabled, I love finding enemy sentry guns and I wish people would use them more often. Although I can't tell you how many times I've been in the middle of hacking one when some mouth-breather on my team will come along and destroy it.

ThirstyFly said:
Well, it's not like you'll be causing havoc and holding like five sentries against a competent team to begin with.

Like people with ghost pro would even be close to the center of the map...let's get serious here.

The counter Last stand users being invulnerable? Make it so their bullets don't do damage during that time as well.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
aku:jiki said:
Yeah, it really is fucking rampant right now. I swear every single match I play has at least one host migration, and 1 in 5 ends in dashboarding... WTF is going on? Is everybody pissed at the lag, maybe?
Either you have bad luck, or I have good luck, or something, because I've played a shitload of games since the new maps came out (probably a hundred or so) and haven't seen any dashboarding and only around five migrations (and they all worked). Maybe it just depends on the playlist?

Nabs

RedSwirl said:

if your computer can handle it, $40 is a great price. no netcode or lag issues. you can focus all your rage on the things that really matter, like second chance users.

Ryck

ThirstyFly said:
Or you can just stun it and throw a semtex or frag. (IIRC that didn't work on Mw2 right?)

Ryck said:
Or you can just stun it and throw a semtex or frag. (IIRC that didn't work on Mw2 right?)

I don't know about the grenades, but flash/stun grenades work a treat on sentries. Sentries are woefully underpowered in this game if you ask me.

K/d Posting the the worst fucking thing the world.

"omg he got a high k/d lets back out" or
" we need a high k/d so lets dashboard and leave the game with One fucking player."

seriously man ppl care to much about k/d....they should just remove it all together.

How is the PS3 version holding up for you guys? I swear I'm getting connection errors more frequently every day. I've been playing for less then an hour and I already ran into three.

spiderman123 said:
K/d Posting the the worst fucking thing the world.

"omg he got a high k/d lets back out" or
" we need a high k/d so lets dashboard and leave the game with One fucking player."

seriously man ppl care to much about k/d....they should just remove it all together.

Yep.

Xux

Accidentus said:
Remove K/D and only have your W/L ratio visible. I think would solve a lot.

The real solution is to remove rewards and points for killing and punishment and disadvantages for dieing.

Tkawsome said:
How is the PS3 version holding up for you guys? I swear I'm getting connection errors more frequently every day. I've been playing for less then an hour and I already ran into three.
It's on 360 too and it's absolutely insane right now. I swear at least every second match has problems. Literally constant connection errors.

Meanwhile, Treyarch are tweeting about promotional competitions and shit... Yeah, this whole thing where Black Ops was going to save the company reputation and so on isn't really working out, is it?

Effect

BloodElfHunter said:
Man, any tips on getting decent at this game online? I'm lvl 25 and I prefer tdm or domination but I'm mostly a free kill. I'm try turning my sensitivity to 2 and it helped a bit but I still blow. My k\d is normally .50 and if I'm really lucky 1.00. I just seem to suck at aiming, people will run at me from across a map and I'll miss with like every single bullet in my clip, lmao. I've tried the ak74u,famas and galil. I seem to do best with the galil.

Not that great myself but one thing I've learned, at least on the Wii version and it might be applicable to all versions as it has helped me in Bad Company 2 (PC) is to fire more from the hip. I only ever aim down sights if target is at a distance. If they are near I simply start firing from the hip. Or try to aim after you've started firing instead of doing the opposite. I've taken to not running around the map though other then to run from across an area if its out in the open. Find I die less when I take things slow and steady. Still die just a lot less and never go back to the same place you died, at least the way you originally went. Go around the other way.

Question to anyone. What is Hardened suppose to allow you to shoot through? Anything? Game doesn't make a distinction between a wooded fence, window, or wall? A 90 degree angled corner wall?

Magik

Tkawsome said:

Nothings really changed. Still getting a ton of connection errors, bizarre host selections, frame rate drops etc.

luoapp

Effect said:
Question to anyone. What is Hardened suppose to allow you to shoot through? Anything? Game doesn't make a distinction between a wooded fence, window, or wall? A 90 degree angled corner wall?

cod wiki said:
Wall penetration is a game mechanic that allows players to engage targets through light cover. Damage done by firing through cover is less than that inflicted by firing on a player directly, and the damage lost by penetration depends on a number of factors, including the type and thickness of the material, the angle of incidence, and the penetration qualities of the weapon. For example, the penetration damage done by a Light Machine Gun through a plywood surface is much higher than that done by a pistol. However, firing through surfaces has no effect on the bullet's speed or flight path (see Hitscans).

http://callofduty.wikia.com/wiki/Surface_penetration

buy teh haloz said:
I'm not 100% sure it was patched, but I've never seen it done in a game, so I wouldn't worry about it.
It wasn't patched as of the weekend. Was wondering why my brother-in-law was running around using a shotgun as he typically used assault rifles. Said he wanted to try this thing with the knifing and the shotgun just allowed him to be closer. He did successfully do it.

yoopoo

Banned
Accidentus said:
Remove K/D and only have your W/L ratio visible. I think would solve a lot.
W/L ratio in this game is meaningless, if you play with a 3 bar connection its impossible to win against someone with a 4 bar connection. At start of every match I check the connection, if I don't have a 4 bar connection...I back out. Which counts as a loss.

Most of my losses are because of this reason.

Effect

I find both K/D and W/L both worthless. So many factors can determine the outcome of an encounter that are out of your control. Connection, loss of team mates during a match, etc. I tend to focus on and take more of interest in completing contracts and challenges. Things I have a bit more control over. I get more excited when I see either of those two pop up during a match. Those are things I can actively work toward while killing other players. Maybe it's because I'm not that great of a player so I just look to other things as a sense of accomplishment in the game.

luoapp

Effect said:
I find both K/D and W/L both worthless. So many factors can determine the outcome of an encounter that are out of your control. Connection, loss of team mates during a match, etc. I tend to focus on and take more of interest in completing contracts and challenges. Things I have a bit more control over. I get more excited when I see either of those two pop up during a match. Those are things I can actively work toward while killing other players. Maybe it's because I'm not that great of a player so I just look to other things as a sense of accomplishment in the game.

The basic idea is to use long term statistics averaging out those uncontrollable factors. It only becomes worthless when people try to game the system.

yoopoo said:
W/L ratio in this game is meaningless, if you play with a 3 bar connection its impossible to win against someone with a 4 bar connection. At start of every match I check the connection, if I don't have a 4 bar connection...I back out. Which counts as a loss.

Most of my losses are because of this reason.
Haha maybe if you suck. Sure its a disadvantage but nothing that's hard to get over.

Mileena

Banned
W/L is pretty worthless. It's pretty much just how often you get put on a team without complete clueless morons. Unfortunately I get cluefucks on my team 95% of the time.

cuevas said:
Haha maybe if you suck. Sure its a disadvantage but nothing that's hard to get over.
Don't you always mention that you play with a team? That right there makes a huge difference. The fact that he mentions backing out when he doesn't have a good connection right away indicates he's playing solo with randoms which is hardly the ideal situation for getting lots of wins.

I really don't care about either stat, but I do find it a little annoying that if I get put into a game that's 10 seconds away from ending in a loss, I get that added to my loss column no matter what....there should be some kind of time threshold at the very least so you have to be active in the game for 1 minute or something for it to count as a win OR a loss. Considering the fact that people also will leave a game they are losing badly and then the matchmaking fills those empty spots with people(when it works), it just means that you'll be placed in far more games that are lopsided to the losing side when you join a game in progress.

This kid camped. Got an SR and a Chopper Gunner went 24 and 1 then he went 24 and 15 b.c I kept raping him for camping. He then had enough and decided to quit.

Seriously k/d concerned pussies.

luoapp

spiderman123 said:
This kid camped. Got an SR and a Chopper Gunner went 24 and 1 then he went 24 and 15 b.c I kept raping him for camping. He then had enough and decided to quit.

Seriously k/d concerned pussies.

That's still 1.5 kdr, I think it's decent. BTW, what's yours?

BigBlue1974 said:
Don't you always mention that you play with a team? That right there makes a huge difference. The fact that he mentions backing out when he doesn't have a good connection right away indicates he's playing solo with randoms which is hardly the ideal situation for getting lots of wins.

I really don't care about either stat, but I do find it a little annoying that if I get put into a game that's 10 seconds away from ending in a loss, I get that added to my loss column no matter what....there should be some kind of time threshold at the very least so you have to be active in the game for 1 minute or something for it to count as a win OR a loss. Considering the fact that people also will leave a game they are losing badly and then the matchmaking fills those empty spots with people(when it works), it just means that you'll be placed in far more games that are lopsided to the losing side when you join a game in progress.

I play with usually 1 or 2 people and if we have more they are friends who are bad. We play with a kid who has 95 SPM in Domination, but it's fun talking shit to them.

VALKYRAY

Banned
spiderman123 said:
2.51 but I NEVER DASHBOARDED ask anyone who played with me on GAF. I never quit and I never backout until after the game
team vs random, team always wins.
team also have higher KD because you can work together set up spawn traps.
2.5 is shit for rolling in a team.

VALKYRAY said:

haha still here and Still mad I called you a troll. Your troll and I play mostly by myself except lat at night troll.

eek5

Xux said:
The real solution is to remove rewards and points for killing and punishment and disadvantages for dieing.
I think what we see in COD is partly an issue with the matchmaking in general. The killstreaks and stuff just amplify it, but most parties want to get into lobbies where they steamroll everybody. Whenever I have a team and we play a competitive game with a party and they lose, they back out. Whenever I have a team and we play a competitive game with a party and they win, they back out. There is never a rematch because "close" games aren't what they're looking for. I think skill based matchmaking would help a lot more than removing killstreaks.

As much as I dislike the "level upgrade to unlock basic weapons" thing, there's some pretty awesome features in this multiplayer.

I like the boot directly into multiplayer option. That's pretty snazzy.

VALKYRAY said:

Haha you try so hard but always fail.

Anyway, I've been playing absolutely shithouse for the last two weeks. Returned to WaW...Rapeage! I can't go less than 40 kills in a TDM every game. Fuck I'm awesome.

Top Bottom