• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

aku:jiki said:
Yeah, Rolling Thunder has the same issues for sure. (Except the "hey the flames are over THERE, not HERE!" thing, obviously.)

I haven't ever seen the Rolling Thunder glitch out, although I will say that it's not immediately obvious what buildings will and won't protect you from it. It definitely has an incredibly wide hitbox compared to what the directional indicator shows, but I can't recall dying from it when it was on the other side of the map or something.

As far as Napalm is concerned, the biggest problem is that the hitbox is continuous from the start of the napalm to the end, even if the game doesn't properly render the flames through that entire space (and sometimes it seems that the hitbox "leaks" through doors and windows by a few feet, but I haven't played around with it enough to know what causes this and what doesn't). The first time I ran between what looked like a gap in the flames and still died, I learned not to do that again. As it is now, I just completely avoid the area where napalm was dropped for a few seconds, and I rarely have issues. I will agree that it's annoying though; it makes sense that napalm would be deadly and sneak into places you wouldn't expect it to, but the game doesn't necessarily do a good job of rendering flames on all of the places where you're going to die.

Mileena

Banned
zesty said:
If someone is seriously asserting that this game "never works," why are you still playing?
11h6xrq.gif

God, the ACOG sight on Sniper Rifles are F-ing horrible. No crosshair and literally only just a sight that rises up in the middle with no other reference point for centering a target? WTF is this shit?

XeroSauce

TacticalFox88 said:
God, the ACOG sight on Sniper Rifles are F-ing horrible. No crosshair and literally only just a sight that rises up in the middle with no other reference point for centering a target? WTF is this shit?

I heard that some people have glitched versions of the crosshairs in sniper scopes. Like the Dragonov has just a horizontal in vertical line instead of it's trademark chevron scope.

Hullo, Black Ops GAF. Any PC players here?

Makoto

I really have to wonder how much time Treyarch needs to add that delay to the red boxes when you're in a Chopper Gunner or Gunship. Whenever I use it on Nuketown, all it does is make the other team rage, accuse me of hacking and leave, which may result in kick/ban from the admin.

BTW, some server admins in Black Ops PC are a joke. Too many times I've been banned just for playing good.

So Treyarch have released an official iPhone/iPad Map App:

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Got an iPhone or iPad? Check out the Official "COD Black Ops MP Map App" - It has detailed map layouts for 14 maps, and is a powerful asset for planning your objective-based strategies. You want to know every HQ transmission site? Every Domination flag post? Most popular player routes? This is the app you've been waiting for!

What they don't comment on is the price: $2.99US...

I think I'll pass.

XeroSauce

divisionbyzorro said:
I haven't ever seen the Rolling Thunder glitch out, although I will say that it's not immediately obvious what buildings will and won't protect you from it. It definitely has an incredibly wide hitbox compared to what the directional indicator shows, but I can't recall dying from it when it was on the other side of the map or something.

As far as Napalm is concerned, the biggest problem is that the hitbox is continuous from the start of the napalm to the end, even if the game doesn't properly render the flames through that entire space (and sometimes it seems that the hitbox "leaks" through doors and windows by a few feet, but I haven't played around with it enough to know what causes this and what doesn't). The first time I ran between what looked like a gap in the flames and still died, I learned not to do that again. As it is now, I just completely avoid the area where napalm was dropped for a few seconds, and I rarely have issues. I will agree that it's annoying though; it makes sense that napalm would be deadly and sneak into places you wouldn't expect it to, but the game doesn't necessarily do a good job of rendering flames on all of the places where you're going to die.

If you need a sense of scale, Rolling Thunder hits the entire map of Nuketown except for the black jeep on the side. The entire map.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Sorry guys, i've been lurking this thread for long time and been meaning to get this off my chest and that is a clip is not a magazine. You don't change a clip on an ak74u or say it took half a clip to kill someone when you are referring to a magazine or mag for short. Its like saying you went hiking with your hiking socks instead of your hiking shoes/boots.

Anyway with that out of the way, i just have to say that i enjoy playing Black Ops on the ps3 nonetheless. I hate getting the short end of the stick when it comes to multi platform games, but this game fixed a lot of the cheap stuff i hated in MW2 which was the tubing, people boosting, and a lot of people quickscoping to make youtube videos. Theres a lot more i hate about MW2, but it did many things right like the almost parity with the console versions, and smoother and steadier framerate. Also Black Ops was the only COD game i ever prestige in and i am actually 5th prestige now.

aku:jiki

They seriously just released a shitty map app that shows where the stupid Dom flags are instead of fixing the game? Yeah, I get that's two different employees but still. It just looks lame.

zesty said:
If someone is seriously asserting that this game "never works," why are you still playing?
Like I've already posted many times, I kind of "have to" play this because I recently moved across Europe and this is what my friends are playing. It's just a social thing for me - I get to "hang out" with 10 of my buddies from back home. Whenever I play alone, I play other games. If I go online with an FPS alone, I go MW2 or Blacklight (it was on sale this week).

TacticalFox88 said:
Only the L96 gets that cumbersome, unusable ACOG. The others have proper scopes for ACOG.

(I agree, it's really retarded.)

TimeLike

AwesomeSauce said:
I'm sure that you do, but some us care like myself ;)

Just wanna get this off my chest, but myself is not the same as me or I. Myself is a reflexive pronoun; it redirects the action of the verb back to the subject. You don't care like yourself and John, Jim, and yourself didn't go the disco, but my dog did lick himself.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Nice, we go from K/D to W/L to personal fights to now caring about the difference between clips/magazines.

Boom remaining five people unsubscribe out of complete boredom.

AwesomeSauce said:
I'm sure that you do, but some us care like myself ;)

If I had waited months and months to post in this thread, I wouldn't have chosen to commence my posting career with the most trivial, asinine technical correction that absolutely no-one bar yourself gave a fuck about. But hey, we're all different. Welcome.

Anyway, I can't find any more info on the BO app anywhere. Help?

Just played a couple matches, as the host , where the game literally dropped to less than 5 frames per second. First match i played it stopped after the first time i died, but the match after that it didnt stop, i had no choice but to quit. I mean i usually get dropped frames as the host, but never was it this bad before. Does Treyarch ever intend on fixing this, or have they even acknowledged this as a problem yet?

AwesomeSauce said:
Anyway with that out of the way, i just have to say that i enjoy playing Black Ops on the ps3 nonetheless. I hate getting the short end of the stick when it comes to multi platform games, but this game fixed a lot of the cheap stuff i hated in MW2 which was the tubing, people boosting, and a lot of people quickscoping to make youtube videos. Theres a lot more i hate about MW2, but it did many things right like the almost parity with the console versions, and smoother and steadier framerate. Also Black Ops was the only COD game i ever prestige in and i am actually 5th prestige now.

Glad to hear that you're enjoying the game! What sorts of classes are you playing around with these days after five prestiges?

First off I love Black Ops. I am feeling series fatigue in general, but Black Ops is one of the better CoDs. A lot of my friends do prefer MW2 so I recently played with them, and after my first 3 deaths where to a shotgun a camper and a noob tuber I switched my xbox off lol.

That said I haven't been able to get many smooth games since about double exp. This doesn't just seem to be affecting me ive heard it loads from a range of people... so what the hell?

VALKYRAY

Banned
bobs99 ... said:
First off I love Black Ops. I am feeling series fatigue in general, but Black Ops is one of the better CoDs. A lot of my friends do prefer MW2 so I recently played with them, and after my first 3 deaths where to a shotgun a camper and a noob tuber I switched my xbox off lol.

That said I haven't been able to get many smooth games since about double exp. This doesn't just seem to be affecting me ive heard it loads from a range of people... so what the hell?
then you go back to BO, after first 3 deaths where to a Ghost camper, a second chance, a AK74, you broke your xbox controller?

Playing in a clan has done wonders for rejuvenating the fun I have while playing. We've usually got enough that we run in Ground War and I find that our overall skill means we lose a fair bit of the TDM battles but usually destroy when it's Domination. Every one actually communicates and is trying to win rather than just hit that next killstreak.

One funny thing I notice though is that we always have our clan tag on. I guess it can be somewhat intimidating to see 9 people in a room with a tag, but there isn't a single smack talker amongst us(being all 30 years old at a minimum, I guess we've mellowed with age). After a match where we lose though, we often will get some major smacktalk directed at us about how we thought we were so good and how they showed us. ??? We didn't say a word and just looking at our members would make it pretty obvious we're not really going to be a massive threat.

bobs99 ... said:

Yeah, I've noticed matchmaking has been pretty bad lately. I played some mid-level wager matches last night, and it took forever to find anything! Although I did win a Sticks and Stones match with only 45 points through some furious last-minute tomahawking. That felt good.
Pretty sure Sticks and Stones is the single stupidest game mode in the entire game!

XeroSauce

cuevas said:

Feeding the troll, mate.

I'm sure you guys have watched Xboxahoy's videos (if you haven't, go here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPHWnnK9JdQ), but have you tried any of his suggested classes? I've found them to be extremely rewarding when you pull off a good streak.

8GS6R.png

^ A small list of his suggested classes so far, try some of them out if you've just Prestiged or you're looking for a change of pace.

VALKYRAY said:
then you go back to BO, after first 3 deaths where to a Ghost camper, a second chance, a AK74, you broke your xbox controller?

Out of those only Ghost really annoys me. Nothing on Black Ops comes close to being as ridiculous to the op'd shotguns and noob tubes on MW2.

divisionbyzorro said:
Yeah, I've noticed matchmaking has been pretty bad lately. I played some mid-level wager matches last night, and it took forever to find anything! Although I did win a Sticks and Stones match with only 45 points through some furious last-minute tomahawking. That felt good.
Pretty sure Sticks and Stones is the single stupidest game mode in the entire game!

I still don't get why the dressed up the party gametypes with the wager system. The wager system would be awesome for competitive modes but modes like Sticks and Stones really aren't designed to be taken seriously.

XeroSauce said:
I'm sure you guys have watched Xboxahoy's videos (if you haven't, go here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPHWnnK9JdQ), but have you tried any of his suggested classes? I've found them to be extremely rewarding when you pull off a good streak.

...image...

^ A small list of his suggested classes so far, try some of them out if you've just Prestiged or you're looking for a change of pace.

Some interesting stuff. Initially, a few things jump out at me.

• That "Marksman" class might as well be called "camper" (motion sensor, flak jacket, and tactical mask scream "I'm not moving and you can't make me!").
  • On the "Raider" class; why would you put Hardened on the Stakeout? The only thing I can think is that he wants the Hardened Pro "anti-flinch" ability, but I'd can't imagine playing the Stakeout without Sleight of Hand Pro.
  • On the "Tank" class, why would anyone subject themselves to using the RPK? Use the M60 with Warlord, Extended Mags, and a Grip.

cuevas said:
Once you go flak you can't go back.

People complain about ghost but flak jacket is the most overpowered perk out there.

My steady stream of bullets disagrees.

mZTkv.png

The crossbow is just for shits and giggles when I feel like goofing off; this class is all about spewing as many bullets at your enemy as possible, and staying mobile to keep picking up deathbags. It's one of the most satisfying classes to use.

luoapp

divisionbyzorro said:
The crossbow is just for shits and giggles when I feel like goofing off; this class is all about spewing as many bullets at your enemy as possible, and staying mobile to keep picking up deathbags. It's one of the most satisfying classes to use.

M60 + hardened says hi.

kuYuri

XeroSauce said:
Feeding the troll, mate.

Unless I'm missing something, using Hardened on a shotgun class? Umm, noooo...

divisionbyzorro said:
Some interesting stuff. Initially, a few things jump out at me.

• That "Marksman" class might as well be called "camper" (motion sensor, flak jacket, and tactical mask scream "I'm not moving and you can't make me!").
  • On the "Raider" class; why would you put Hardened on the Stakeout? The only thing I can think is that he wants the Hardened Pro "anti-flinch" ability, but I'd can't imagine playing the Stakeout without Sleight of Hand Pro.
  • On the "Tank" class, why would anyone subject themselves to using the RPK? Use the M60 with Warlord, Extended Mags, and a Grip.
Actually he does shoot people through cover quite a bit with the Stakeout. Check the video. As for the RPK, it's only because he's doing every gun in the game, it wouldn't make sense to skip it for no reason.

Makoto

Strider2K99 said:
Unless I'm missing something, using Hardened on a shotgun class? Umm, noooo...

I'm pretty sure the focus is the reduced flinch from Hardened Pro but since he also has Lightweight Pro and Marathon Pro then Hardened Pro is trivial because the two former perks make that class an ambush loadout, the whole point of it is that the player will be too fast for their opponent to even shoot back. What should be in the Perk 2 slot for any shotgun class is Sleight of Hand or maybe Steady Aim, but Sleight of Hand is a must for the Stakeout as well as Grip.

aku:jiki

divisionbyzorro said:
Some interesting stuff. Initially, a few things jump out at me
Hmm, I didn't think the classes were all that clever either...

What's with the Olympia on a sneaking class? SPAS silenced is the obvious choice there.
Also, why Skorpion RF with Sleight of Hand, when you can go AK74 RF with Steady Aim and have enough in the clip for four kills? No SoH needed, and Steady Aim is overall more useful for RF than SoH is.

luoapp

aku:jiki said:
Hmm, I didn't think the classes were all that clever either...

What's with the Olympia on a sneaking class? SPAS silenced is the obvious choice there.
Also, why Skorpion RF with Sleight of Hand, when you can go AK74 RF with Steady Aim and have enough in the clip for four kills? No SoH needed, and Steady Aim is overall more useful for RF than SoH is.

I think you're missing the point, he's making a class for one particular gun, not choosing a gun for one particular class.

luoapp said:
I think you're missing the point, he's making a class for one particular gun, not choosing a gun for one particular class.

Ahh I see.

I still don't understand Hardened on a Stakeout though. Is there a link to a video where he actually uses this?

Slizz

So I finally decided to giv the SPAS a shot after using the Olympia and Stakeout almost exclusively, wow.... I went 32-8 on TDM on Hanoi lol. Silenced SPAS, Lightweight Pro, SOH Pro, Marathon Pro.

divisionbyzorro said:
Ahh I see.

I still don't understand Hardened on a Stakeout though. Is there a link to a video where he actually uses this?

Okay, so I found and watched his video. His argument for Hardened is compelling; you should be ADSing, so Steady Aim isn't any good, and if you're picking your engagements correctly, you should be able to reload with plenty of time to spare. He's essentially trading faster ADS for less flinch, the ability to pierce bodies (as always, enemies count as penetrable surfaces), and insurance against bits of cover getting in the way.

I'm still not terribly convinced, but I might give it a shot to see what it's like.

XeroSauce

The point of most of his suggested classes are to revolve around a specific gun, and variety. Sure, he could suggest Ghost, SOH, and Hacker for every gun, and it'd do well, but he likes to change it up.

I think the only perk he hasn't suggested so far is Second Chance (hah).

For example: The "Breacher" class features a silenced Enfield with Steady Aim. Why not SOH? Why not Extended Mags?

Because the Enfield only has a 2 second ADS time compared to other rifles, and it also has a relatively fast reload time, negating SOH Pro.

Plus, being a low-power rifle, the con of reduced range from a Supressor doesn't affect the gun as much. The Ballistic Knife is to take advantage of SA Pro, and then it has Flak + Marathon + C4 for objective game types. Every gun he does is given a "mindset" to play with.

divisionbyzorro said:
Okay, so I found and watched his video. His argument for Hardened is compelling; you should be ADSing, so Steady Aim isn't any good, and if you're picking your engagements correctly, you should be able to reload with plenty of time to spare. He's essentially trading faster ADS for less flinch, the ability to pierce bodies (as always, enemies count as penetrable surfaces), and insurance against bits of cover getting in the way.

I'm still not terribly convinced, but I might give it a shot to see what it's like.

You may not get the best score, but it's terribly fun to play with after a long time with rifles/SMGs.

XeroSauce said:
You may not get the best score, but it's terribly fun to play with after a long time with rifles/SMGs.

Oh, agreed. But my Stakeout class has Ghost, Sleight of Hand, and Marathon. I've never tried using Hardened on it.

His videos are incredibly well thought-out. It's inspiring me to go back and try some weapon/perk/attachment combos that I haven't really tried before.

luoapp

divisionbyzorro said:
His videos are incredibly well thought-out.

and very well produced. I will say his videos are among the best produced, the quality even surpasses the mojority of the "professional" gaming media.

XeroSauce

luoapp said:
and very well produced. I will say his videos are among the best produced, the quality even surpasses the mojority of the "professional" gaming media.

And he does it in his spare time; I think he said he spends 20-30 hours on each video, getting clips from gameplay, editing together, etc.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
lol to some of you about my earlier post.

Anyway does anyone go around using Tactical mask pro and Hardened pro? I feel like ever since I've been using the combo along with flak jacket that i just straight beast on people. Hardened pro lets me shoot people behind cover, and tactical mask pro is awesome in that i let people throw stun grenades or flashes at me and once they get the hit maker 99% of the time they run out and i just pop them off.

XeroSauce

AwesomeSauce said:
lol to some of you about my earlier post.

Anyway does anyone go around using Tactical mask pro and Hardened pro? I feel like ever since I've been using the combo along with flak jacket that i just straight beast on people. Hardened pro lets me shoot people behind cover, and tactical mask pro is awesome in that i let people throw stun grenades or flashes at me and once they get the hit maker 99% of the time they run out and i just pop them off.

I like running that with a Galil, either Silenced or Extended Mags. I call it "COME AT ME BRO"

Top Bottom