• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

cameltoe said:
But it works both ways......as ease as it is to kill, you can also die just as quickly.
So it's easier for everyone? A game with terrible hit detection and that is dependant as fuck on connection doesn't need to be made worse.

eek5

cuevas said:
So it's easier for everyone? A game with terrible hit detection and that is dependant as fuck on connection doesn't need to be made worse.
Logically it makes no sense. Why would you want to play a mode with reduced health where most guns kill in 1 bullet when the game has less than perfect necode? My rationalization for why they enjoy it so much involves two key aspects of HC; there are no killcams and you die so fast. Because there are no killcams, HC is probably less rage inducing since you never see that the host didn't see you firing any shots, you never get that glimpse of you standing out in the open when you were really behind cover, etc. You also die so fast that, hey, maybe he really did "see" me first and you die so fast that you'll rarely see situations where you start firing first and end up dying from it.

luoapp said:
So what's so "hardcore" about it then?

I went more in depth on the last page but it's basically less health, friendly fire, no radar, no hud.

It's a whole different game.

cuevas said:
Nope. Because it's easier to kill/be killed, it's harder for everyone. You rarely have the chance to take damage and escape, and even if you do there's no health regen.

It fixes the terrible hit detection and bad connection since a single bullet can take you down. There's less wiggle room for the game to screw up since each shootout ends quickly. If you're really lagging it's unplayable, but it would be the same for any other mode as well.

I remember when no radar and no health regen was just called "Call of Duty".

Tkawsome said:
Nope. Because it's easier to kill/be killed, it's harder for everyone. You rarely have the chance to take damage and escape, and even if you do there's no health regen.

It fixes the terrible hit detection and bad connection since a single bullet can take you down. There's less wiggle room for the game to screw up since each shootout ends quickly. If you're really lagging it's unplayable, but it would be the same for any other mode as well.

- It is easier to get kills. Confirmed.

- It makes hit detection and lag worse. Lets say you walk around a corner and on your connection you cant respond till after they shoot their second bullet. They are a bad player and can only hit their 1st, 4th, and 7th shot. You get killed in hardcore because as you walked around a corner they shot you once and you die. In "normal" modes you can get the kill on them because they miss most of their shots.

on a side not, the pressure is getting to me. Almost 90 game winning streak and I know one bad match it's all gone. I have like 5/6 losses during this "win streak" from dashboarders. At one points 8/13 matches were played on Summit because we had to keep joining new lobbies.

cuevas said:
- It is easier to get kills. Confirmed.

- It makes hit detection and lag worse. Lets say you walk around a corner and on your connection you cant respond till after they shoot their second bullet. They are a bad player and can only hit their 1st, 4th, and 7th shot. You get killed in hardcore because as you walked around a corner they shot you once and you die. In "normal" modes you can get the kill on them because they miss most of their shots.

-(Sigh). I don't think you're getting this. Yes, people take less bullets to die. So do you. This makes it much harder since everyone is playing much more carefully. They're not running all over the map because they think they can take a few bullets and escape. You have to really work for your kills in most matches.

- You're really reaching here.

eek5 said:
Because there are no killcams, HC is probably less rage inducing since you never see that the host didn't see you firing any shots, you never get that glimpse of you standing out in the open when you were really behind cover, etc. You also die so fast that, hey, maybe he really did "see" me first and you die so fast that you'll rarely see situations where you start firing first and end up dying from it.

This is very true. I'm convinced that Black Ops' lag issues aren't significantly worse than other games on the market (albeit not as good as W@W), but Call of Duty is the only game with the stones to show you exactly what happened from the host's perspective immediately after you die. The only other game that lets you see what happened in any way is Halo, but that requires you going into theater mode after the game and checking it out specifically - and by then your rage has cooled off.

If I was making an FPS, I wouldn't put a real-time killcam in the game. I get the value of showing you where you died from (as an anti-camper measure), but I wouldn't do it by replaying what happened right back to you. No sense in advertising flaws!

Tkawsome said:
You're really reaching here.

He's really not. Hardcore is much more dependent upon a solid connection than Core. In the same way, Core CoD is much more dependent upon a solid connection than, say, Halo. When it takes longer to kill, engagements last longer, and skill plays much more of a role than connection strength.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
What Call of Duty needs is a mode where it attempts to match based on skill.

Would be interesting.

Ryck

NightmareTrigger said:
^Give this man a cookie.
But, yeah, all I play is Hardcore for those reasons exactly. I tried to play a match of core TDM last weekend and it took me a clip and a half of Galil hitmarkers to down a guy running away from me and he still had Second Chance and nearly instantly did a 180 headshot on me.
I notice this has been happening more and more. (my personal fave is hearing 3 or 4 hit markers and then getting knifed and killed anyway) I have extended mags on every gun since it pretty much takes an entire mag to kill someone. I have been alternating between Mw2 and BO this week just to see the differences and the hit markers and the amount of hits it takes to kill someone is totally wacked in BO's. The lack of all the cheese more than makes up for it but man it would be awesome to have BO with Mw2's hit detection and bullet damage.

cuevas said:
So...camping.

By your crazy definition of camping, yes. You're constantly running all over the map, but you do need to constantly take moments where you hide in a corner and figure out where to go next. Especially with the sporadic spawning this game has.

divisionbyzorro said:
He's really not. Hardcore is much more dependent upon a solid connection than Core. In the same way, Core CoD is much more dependent upon a solid connection than, say, Halo. When it takes longer to kill, engagements last longer, and skill plays much more of a role than connection strength.

I feel like I'm cheated out of kills constantly in regular TDM. Not because of the killcam, but because I shot a guy with a full clip and he still managed to kill me. That rarely happens in Hardcore TDM. If I line up a shot, he goes down. I'm getting the feeling you guys complaining about the lag in that mode barely spent any time with it.

Tkawsome said:
I went more in depth on the last page but it's basically less health, friendly fire, no radar, no hud.

It's a whole different game.

There's no health regeneration in Hardcore? I didn't know that.

MrDaravon

divisionbyzorro said:

Agreed. I don't mind playing something like SWAT in Halo, but I won't touch Hardcore with a 10 foot pole in any CoD game, I already get enough completely bullshit kills and deaths in regular modes, I don't need a mode where half of the time my fate is determined by the whimsy of host and their netcode.

eek5

you don't even need to reload or need hardened. just run warlord with extended mags and grip and kill 200 people before you have to change magazines /s

also, more seriously, most of the advantage of a higher RoF weapon is lost in HC because of 1-2 bullet kill. M60 535 rpm might be slow but it is OHK at all ranges which makes ttk 0 versus an AR like famas that needs a 2 bullet kill at range. 937.5 rpm or not that's still higher than 0 sec ttk. and regarding hardened it is less important because LMG has highest penetration already, lower flinch doesn't matter because of lower health; you rarely get to shoot after flinching, and the m60 does more than 100% damage already even at long range which means it is still usually OHK even through surfaces (rare cases with extreme angles or some surfaces excluded)

eek5 said:
you don't even need to reload or need hardened. just run warlord with extended mags and grip and kill 200 people before you have to change magazines /s

How many times did you play Hardcore like that? How many kills did you get in those matches you posted and what was your longest killstreak?

eek5

Tkawsome said:
How many times did you play Hardcore like that? How many kills did you get in those matches you posted and what was your longest killstreak?
tdm

played like 3 or 4 matches

about 20-25 kills each match

longest kill streak was like 6 until a teammate killed me

eek5 said:
tdm

played like 3 or 4 matches

about 20-25 kills each match

longest kill streak was like 6 until a teammate killed me

So you're judging off three (or four) matches? Dude. Play it some more then we'll talk.

eek5 said:
4 was enough for me to never want to play HC ever again.
Yeah, its the 17th game in the series so most people know what they like.

Anyone else having a problem in domination where you don't get credit for captures? They don't show up on the scoreboard or leaderboard and don't get points for them. Its been happening for a couple weeks now.

Wow, the hardcore argument is total bullshit.

I won't dismiss anyone who plays it - but let's not act like it is something it's clearly not.

It is not an entirely different game by any means. I would compare it to something like regular slayer/no-motion sensor slayer in Halo. Granted, it makes people play more carefully less they get jumped and killed - but it's still the same game, and has a high possibility of attracting campers.

This is an issue ten-fold in Black Ops due to a combination of killstreaks, kill-cams (or lackthereof allowing for campers), even faster time to kill weapons (making spraying that much more effective) and team-killers.

I spent quite a bit of time in MW2 Hardcore and have given it 15-20 matches in Black Ops. It's the same bullshit netcode, with the same bullshit near-insta-kill weapons, with the same bullshit campers and the same bullshit killstreaks. The idea is sound - and there are plenty of people who play Hardcore like it should be played (that is, moving swiftly, attention to detail and being careful/observant when moving from cover to cover), but ultimately, a significant portion of the people who play HC are merely amplifying the issues with COD Multiplayer.

To clarify, I never had an issue busting a 1.8-2.0 k/d in Hardcore modes. The increased usefulness of spy-plane, sentries & SR71 made some elements of the game wonderful. Even better - the assault rifles become the mid-range powerhouses they are meant to be, snipers become long-range rape cannons and SMG/Pistol/High-ROF AR's become short range winners. But it doesn't prevent any other bullshit, still has the overarching 'AR owns all' classes, and encourages corner/stairs/bush campers.

cuevas said:

Anyone else having a problem in domination where you don't get credit for captures? They don't show up on the scoreboard or leaderboard and don't get points for them. Its been happening for a couple weeks now.
Yeah this happened to me just last night on the PS3, I was practically standing on the flag too so I was within range.

aku:jiki

cuevas said:
I haven't noticed that, but it reminds me, does the "nemesis" thing work in other game modes? It doesn't work at all in Demolition anymore. It used to, but now the numbers are just always way off.

If some guy got me a few times to become my nemesis, then I end up getting him like 10 times more than he gets me, the stats will still say "Kills: 0, Killed by: 10" every time. Not a big deal, but I always liked the feature. :/

cuevas said:

It happened once, but corrected itself in the next game.

aku:jiki said:
I haven't noticed that, but it reminds me, does the "nemesis" thing work in other game modes? It doesn't work at all in Demolition anymore. It used to, but now the numbers are just always way off.

If some guy got me a few times to become my nemesis, then I end up getting him like 10 times more than he gets me, the stats will still say "Kills: 0, Killed by: 10" every time. Not a big deal, but I always liked the feature. :/

It's never worked, I can go like 29-5 and I would go 2-15 against my nemesis who was 1-5 or better yet have a nemesis who was on my team.

eek5

cuevas said:

It happens to someone I play with every game but it never happens to me and he has never figured out why it happens. At least you aren't alone I guess...

Slizz

Anyone else getting complete shit from care packages? I think the last like 20 of them I've only gotten Attack Dogs once and the rest Ammo, Spy Plane, Counter....

Slizz said:
Anyone else getting complete shit from care packages? I think the last like 20 of them I've only gotten Attack Dogs once and the rest Ammo, Spy Plane, Counter....
Same here. Since I run with Ghost Pro exclusively I can't change the contents so what I do since I never expect to get a good CP is throw it in plain sight of the enemy and bait them with it. I usually get 2-3 kills this way before the enemy catches on. :p

Slizz said:
Even with rerolls? I find I get more than my share of good stuff from them....3 Blackbirds in a row a couple nights back though one was with a reroll. One thing about them is that I *swear* the stupid valkyrie missiles come up every 2nd care package. Could just be that I hate them though so it just seems that often.

Slizz said:

Here are the care package roll percentages from DenKirson:

5SDIN.png

The first set of numbers are the percentages normally, the second set is the percentage on re-roll. Note that the game guarantees that you will never get the same item on a re-roll, so if you re-roll the same thing that you got at first, it will keep re-rolling until you get something different.

And last I checked, multiple team members can re-roll the same package. I just don't know if it guarantees that each re-roll is unique.

So out of 20 care packages, without re-rolls, half of them are going to end up being spy planes, counter spy planes, or ammo. Basically, Care Packages are mostly useless without Hardline Pro; you would do better to run with a Spy Plane or Counter Spy plane since you can instantly deploy it and move on with the battle.

Slizz

divisionbyzorro said:
So has anyone else noticed this map glitch? I know it's gotten me before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEwpZSNOGCs#t=4m22s

Notice how he banks two flashbangs behind the embankment, but gets flashed both times. Something about that spot on the map is glitched to where the wall doesn't protect you from flashbangs. It's super annoying when it gets you.

Happens all the time I never realized it was glitched like that. I just figured I didn't wait long enough after rushing in....

divisionbyzorro said:
So has anyone else noticed this map glitch? I know it's gotten me before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEwpZSNOGCs#t=4m22s

Notice how he banks two flashbangs behind the embankment, but gets flashed both times. Something about that spot on the map is glitched to where the wall doesn't protect you from flashbangs. It's super annoying when it gets you.

I'm not exactly sure, but I think I noticed the other day you could shoot through that very wall, and considering that wall is basically a thick piece of rock, it doesn't make sense that you could. Actually, there is a bunch of little issues like that in all the maps it seems in regards to bullet penetration. Mainly its invisible barriers that you have to penetrate or you cant shoot through, and objects that look like they can be penetrated but in actuality cant.

computers putin' said:
I'm not exactly sure, but I think I noticed the other day you could shoot through that very wall, and considering that wall is basically a thick piece of rock, it doesn't make sense that you could. Actually, there is a bunch of little issues like that in all the maps it seems in regards to bullet penetration. Mainly its invisible barriers that you have to penetrate or you cant shoot through, and objects that look like they can be penetrated but in actuality cant.

You're from the new batch of juniors aren't you? Welcome to the thread!

And you've now got me curious about what'll happen if I grab the LMG/hardened class and spray through the rock wall...

divisionbyzorro said:
You're from the new batch of juniors aren't you? Welcome to the thread!

And you've now got me curious about what'll happen if I grab the LMG/hardened class and spray through the rock wall...

Appreciate the warm welcome! If you do try it out with it make sure you post the results. I'm still not sure if i actually got shot through the wall, or if i just took damage late behind cover due to lag, but im almost positive i saw the bullets going through the wall when i dropped.

Ryck

BigBlue1974 said:
Even with rerolls? I find I get more than my share of good stuff from them....3 Blackbirds in a row a couple nights back though one was with a reroll. One thing about them is that I *swear* the stupid valkyrie missiles come up every 2nd care package. Could just be that I hate them though so it just seems that often.
What?? It's like having two Predator Missiles they so freaking awesome.

Ryck said:
What?? It's like having two Predator Missiles they so freaking awesome.
Hahaha not even close!

- Predator missiles were from a top down approach which made it relatively easy to go after anyone outdoors
- Predators had large splash damage, I don't have stats but there's no way I can be convinced that a Valkyrie has anywhere even close to the same damage radius
- Predators just showed up in your killstreaks...Valkyries(if you actually have them as a killstreak ha!) require you to first call in a care package
- Predators kept you out of battle for a few seconds tops as you can see the whole map, home in on somebody and then hit the afterburners, Valkyries require you to get them up in the air and search around from there...and then do it again for the second one.

What I find interesting is that in the numbers division posted above for care packages, the odds of getting the Valkyrie are far higher than for the Attack Chopper which is the same amount of kills to earn.

Ryck

BigBlue1974 said:
Hahaha not even close!

- Predator missiles were from a top down approach which made it relatively easy to go after anyone outdoors
- Predators had large splash damage, I don't have stats but there's no way I can be convinced that a Valkyrie has anywhere even close to the same damage radius
- Predators just showed up in your killstreaks...Valkyries(if you actually have them as a killstreak ha!) require you to first call in a care package
- Predators kept you out of battle for a few seconds tops as you can see the whole map, home in on somebody and then hit the afterburners, Valkyries require you to get them up in the air and search around from there...and then do it again for the second one.

What I find interesting is that in the numbers division posted above for care packages, the odds of getting the Valkyrie are far higher than for the Attack Chopper which is the same amount of kills to earn.

I usually use em from care packages and have had great success. Of course I shoot them straight up in the air and then come straight down ( like the predator) and kill people. Sure they are less powerful but you get two of them.

Btw I am on Psn right now if anyone wants to party up. Psn: Dominat-R

VALKYRAY

Banned
BigBlue1974 said:
Hahaha not even close!

you can make valkyrie missiles like predator missiles. just aim high, let the missile travel into high altitude then turn it downward. that way you can see where enemies are, and go for em. if it doesn't require air drop i would use it all the time, but i hate air drops, takes too long!

Valkyries would be completely fine if you didn't have to call in a package. I'd use them pretty regularly if it wasn't for that ridiculous inconvenience.

EDIT: Although now that I think about it, when playing a gametype like Domination, it could be useful to call them in and just keep them in your back pocket until you needed them. Hm.

Maybe I'll get Hardline Pro this weekend (yes, even though I've been at level 50 for days of playtime, I haven't bothered to get Hardline Pro) and go for a Care Package/Sentry/Valkyrie setup. I'll be dropping packages anyway, so one more won't be a big deal. We'll see how it goes.

Ryck

VALKYRAY said:
you can make valkyrie missiles like predator missiles. just aim high, let the missile travel into high altitude then turn it downward.
Yup that is what I do, love em. ( again I only get them through care packages randomly having to dz em is kinda lame)

Edit:
Ughh looking over my last few games I am like 3-12 ( w-l) Seems like every match there is a guy with .028 Kd ratio on my team.

Double Edit:

The lag in this game is unbearable, gonna stop playing for a while it's too damn frustrating. I even tried going to a wired connection and it was still bad. I am getting hit markers and then I see the kill cam and I am not even shooting.

Ryck

cameltoe said:
the lag was unbearable last night.....gonna try and play in little bit.

I may put this game to rest if it continues like this...
I was watching my matches and I literally cannot kill anyone in a face to face situation unless they are like 20 yards or more away ( or they just suck at aiming). All of my kills seem to be coming from behind, the side or from kill streaks.

Ryck said:
I was watching my matches and I literally cannot kill anyone in a face to face situation unless they are like 20 yards or more away ( or they just suck at aiming). All of my kills seem to be coming from behind, the side or from kill streaks.

Yup, the closer you are to someone when you encounter them the more lag becomes a prominent factor in who lives or dies, and considering most encounters in game are close to mid range, it can get frustrating. In ground war its especially bad, you'll come across players that are impossible for you to kill, no matter how bad they are, because they always have like a .5 second jump on you.

Oh, and i just came across someone with a 4.09 k/d!., he did pretty good during the match, like 19-8, but i didnt notice him in the lobby afterward, so i check his stats from the recent player list and what do i see.....? His w/l was like a 0.49, so yeah, dashboarder confirmed!

maomaoIYP

computers putin' said:
Oh, and i just came across someone with a 4.09 k/d!., he did pretty good during the match, like 19-8, but i didnt notice him in the lobby afterward, so i check his stats from the recent player list and what do i see.....? His w/l was like a 0.49, so yeah, dashboarder confirmed!

I used to get so intimidated by all those folks in a TDM lobby with 400+ SPM 3+ K/D until the game starts, they get killed a few times in a row and off to the dashboard they go!

Top Bottom