• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

Freedom = $1.05 said:
Why must treyarch always fuck with mercenary playlists? They didn't even bother including them in waw and now they converted mercenary tdm to mercenary moshpit. It ain't broke, dammit.

Exactly. I wish they would have just gotten rid of Team Tactical to make the new Mercenary Moshpit so Mercenary TDM would have stayed.

AnEternalEnigma said:
Exactly. I wish they would have just gotten rid of Team Tactical to make the new Mercenary Moshpit so Mercenary TDM would have stayed.

I'm sticking with my theory that they're trying to get a good initial population of the Merc Mosh Pit playlist, and they'll switch back to two Merc playlists after a week or two.

WTF is happening with this game? (on PS3)? I insert the disk and its starts up and all I see is a black screen. Anyone else have this issue???

Edit: Nevermind stupid update notification locking up my PS3

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
VALKYRAY said:
and DO NOT BUY IT!

It was already bought before I made that post.

Hopefully my purchase leads to other games raising the price of their DLC.

divisionbyzorro said:
I love it! It's a great SMG/Shotgun map.

Yeah that is why I don't care for it as much. Though I'm getting better. Just have hip fire my AR even more than usual. Failing that I'll just camp like crazy like I do on Nuketown.

cuevas said:
Even though that kid is just a huge troll, the maps ARE awful.

I've warmed up them at this point, although I still think the overall quality of the map pack is pretty low. To be more specific, I don't vehemently hate Kowloon anymore, but I still think it's one of the worst in the game.

And speaking of the worst maps in the game, I believe the 360 is supposed to get the Nuketown 24/7 playlist this weekend!

divisionbyzorro said:
I've warmed up them at this point, although I still think the overall quality of the map pack is pretty low. To be more specific, I don't vehemently hate Kowloon anymore, but I still think it's one of the worst in the game.

And speaking of the worst maps in the game, I believe the 360 is supposed to get the Nuketown 24/7 playlist this weekend!
I've been reading these types of opinions since it came out for the 360. Never heard this with world @war. I downloaded each of the 3 map packs the day they came out without hesitation. And they were all quality, including the zombie maps.

What to do? :/

*CC slowly slides back in wallet*

Voltron64

Don't buy the maps. You're paying $15 for Berlin Wall to be in your map rotation. It's simply not worth it...I deleted them.

hamchan

PC community is dying a slow death. MW2 has surpassed Black Ops in numbers a few times :-/

Game still runs like crap and I don't think Treyarch will fix it. My performance somehow got worse after the last patch. Supposedly the game runs better on Windows XP so now I need to learn how to dual boot if I actually want to play the game but I can't really be bothered. I agree with those people saying the DLC should be free or at a reduced price for PC since our version is broken.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Tamanon said:
Ready to pick up the maps whenever I get home. It almost eliminates the possibility of getting Hanoi or Array!
You will learn to love every time that Hanoi and Array do come up.

Add me to the group of people that hate the new map pack. Kowloon is the only one I like. It has the best flow out of the 4 and it's fun to run out the edges of the map and get the drop on people. Plus, it looks pretty cool.

Berlin Wall is just okay. Not awful, not really very good either. The danger zone in the middle may as well not be accessible. I've only seen one person actually use smoke to try to get across it, everyone else just avoids it. Right now it's just people fighting over the best sniper rooms over and over again. Hopefully people will play a little more varied after it's been out for a few days.

Stadium is pretty poor. Again, people just fighting over the same sniper rooms. Mostly the one overlooking B. They should just put the Domination points in those damn rooms, that's all people want anyway.

Discovery is an absolute disaster. No flow and basically all just sniper areas. Right now I feel it's easily the worst map in the game. Yes, even worse than Array.

I'm really disappointed by the map pack, and I felt all of the WaW packs were excellent. I loved every one of those maps with the exception of Station. In fact, I thought the DLC maps were the strongest in the game.

Tamanon

Banned
Conrad Link said:
Is the 360 Nuketown 24/7 playlist this weekend thing true? My brother will be very pleased lol.

I'd be happy with that playlist on the PS3. There are times when I just want to play a map full of quick, hectic encounters, just constant waves of enemies from all sides.

The only levels I don't really like are Array and recently Firing Range just because its ALL PEOPLE EVER VOTE FOR WHEN IM PLAYING. :lol >_<

Gotten sick of it now TBH, people complained about Nuketown when that was happening now I hardly ever see that map at all.

Mileena

Banned
Berlin Wall is one of the worst maps I've played in any game. What a piece of garbage.

oh also, will the new maps pop up in a non-FS playlist? I'm really not a fan of any of their choices for the FS playlists.

edit: yea you can. Hardcore SD on Kowloon yeeeeeeeeea

corkscrewblow said:
Berlin Wall is one of the worst maps I've played in any game. What a piece of garbage.

It's just a truly lazy map. It feels like it was made by an intern. It "works," but it has no character or interest. And it has perhaps the most annoying Bravo flag in the entire game to capture (right up there with Havana).

eek5

divisionbyzorro said:
It's just a truly lazy map. It feels like it was made by an intern. It "works," but it has no character or interest. And it has perhaps the most annoying Bravo flag in the entire game to capture (right up there with Havana).
Discovery's B flag isn't much better imo

divisionbyzorro said:

Wow, so speaking as a PS3 user unfamiliar with how these new maps play -- is the level of quality (or lack thereof) on par with the packs from MW2? Is the consensus from 360 folks that this is a total non-buy?

eek5

Dr. Spaceman said:
Wow, so speaking as a PS3 user unfamiliar with how these new maps play -- is the level of quality (or lack thereof) on par with the packs from MW2? Is the consensus from 360 folks that this is a total non-buy?
Kowloon is one of my favorite maps. Stadium isn't bad either and I don't mind playing it. I didn't like discovery at first but it grew on me and is up there with maps like Cracked and Havana (maps I don't really like but do well on). Don't like Berlin and I'm glad it usually gets skipped whenever it pops up.

I mainly play TDM and Dom

tsigo

Every time I join a party with someone and they see I don't have the map pack, they say "Yeah, I wish I didn't buy it."

Kowloon is fun to screw around with random kits; the maze-like nature of that map allows just about any kit to be effective. But it's kind of a mess, with really random flow. Stadium is my favorite in the pack. It has a good mix of lines of sight, both long and short. Discovery isn't bad; it's about the size of Array, but with less wasted space around the edges that nobody uses. Nothing really special though. Berlin Wall is weird. It feels like it's missing something. It's pretty uninspired, as I've said before.

The thing is, there just isn't a really good map in the pack. You're never going to see one of the First Strike maps come up and say "hell yeah I love this map!" If you play the game constantly, it might be worth it just for the variety, but if you're looking for something to inspire you to get back into the game, this won't do it.

I hear the zombie map is awesome though, if you're into that sort of thing.

And on another note

Low stakes "Sticks and Stones" is a blast to play. Totally stupid, completely chaotic, and there's nothing on the line. Good for some silly fun when you need a break. I rendered a clip of some moments from my last match, showing the five tomahawks I got (some impressive, some not so much :). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlvINEKv_GI

USD

Conrad Link said:
The only levels I don't really like are Array and recently Firing Range just because its ALL PEOPLE EVER VOTE FOR WHEN IM PLAYING. :lol >_<

Gotten sick of it now TBH, people complained about Nuketown when that was happening now I hardly ever see that map at all.
I really don't understand why Firing Range and Nuketown are so popular. Do people really enjoy spawning three seconds from each other? Those two and Grid are easily my least favorite (default) maps in the game.

maomaoIYP

Actually I'm on the other side of the fence, my favorites in the map pack are Berlin and Kowloon, followed by Discovery. I absolutely hate Stadium. I play TDM exclusively.

I like Berlin primarily because I prefer long range engagements, and that's exactly what Berlin gives me. M16 w/acog really works well on it for me. Kowloon I like because although the map is maze like, once you've learnt to navigate it it's very easy to flank anyone that's hiding out in any of the rooms with good vantage points. I used to like Discovery for its size, but then I realised that most of it is actually close ranged combat scenarios.

maomaoIYP said:
Actually I'm on the other side of the fence, my favorites in the map pack are Berlin and Kowloon, followed by Discovery. I absolutely hate Stadium. I play TDM exclusively.

I like Berlin primarily because I prefer long range engagements, and that's exactly what Berlin gives me. M16 w/acog really works well on it for me. Kowloon I like because although the map is maze like, once you've learnt to navigate it it's very easy to flank anyone that's hiding out in any of the rooms with good vantage points. I used to like Discovery for its size, but then I realised that most of it is actually close ranged combat scenarios.

My man. In total agreement. The maps for me are in three tiers:

Great: Array, Grid, Hanoi, Jungle, WMD, Villa, Berlin, Kowloon. Discovery.
Good: Crisis, Radiation, Launch, Firing Range, Cracked.
Hateful: Nuketown, SUMMIT, Havana, Stadium.

divisionbyzorro said:
The thing is, there just isn't a really good map in the pack. You're never going to see one of the First Strike maps come up and say "hell yeah I love this map!" If you play the game constantly, it might be worth it just for the variety, but if you're looking for something to inspire you to get back into the game, this won't do it.

I think that sums up First Strike pretty well. The variety is definitely the reason to get the map pack, but nothing really stands out as excellent. There were some awful maps in previous packs (ahemfuelahem) but at least there were really good ones too that I would look forward to coming up once the maps were put into normal rotation.

Hate it. Perhaps the tight corners and constant action doesn't suit my playstyle, but I truly despise that map. Historically, I've never really liked small maps, beside Dome, which I consistently raped at.

So far I'm thinking Stadium > Discovery > Kowloon >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Berlin

You are the true definition of sadomasochism gaming. You shit up this this thread with how much you despise the game, then go and spend your hard-earned on imaginary space-bucks to purchase four additional maps epitomising mechanics you clearly revile. Then you'll probably whinge some more and speak of your hatred for Treyarch. Give me a fucking break.

Never complain again.

aku:jiki

This past page of opinions made me realize something - it seems the Black Ops maps are not as versatile as previous CoD maps and each map's quality is very dependant on game mode. Maybe it would be more helpful if we include our game mode of choice when we post our map reviews?

I mean... To a Demolition player, it's crazy talk that you're all praising Stadium. Stadium came in and single-handedly destroyed Demolition because it's so fucking unplayable. That map alone is seriously making me drop my favorite game mode, which I haven't done for a year now. On the other hand, it's a totally fine map in TDM.

Kowloon is great in Demolition, but I suppose it's not very good for TDM or Dom since GAF hates it so much. So, yeah, post your game modes!

In time, you guys will see the Chopper Gunner behavior on Stadium and learn to loathe it too. You can't take the fucker down!

corkscrewblow said:
But I got the maps through PSN sharing and didn't pay a dime. Uhhh... nice try though I guess ^_^

Bullshit. And pretending that you weren't lying, why are you STILL playing it. You clearly don't like it?

Top Bottom